A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:36 pm ^ Loved Heist by the way!

Now playing John Irvin's 1981 Ghost Story

Filmed very close to where I grew up.
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:49 pm

Cool. Do you have any memories about this? Movies being filmed near you I mean, not the growing up part :-)
Was it Saratoga Springs NY
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:20 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:49 pm

Cool. Do you have any memories about this? Movies being filmed near you I mean, not the growing up part :-)
Was it Saratoga Springs NY
I was living in NH (and was the wee-ist of bairns) when Ghost Story was being made in upstate NY, but I was born out that way and spent much of my youth in and around that area since we had many relatives there. The only movie filming memories I have where I didn't know anyone directly involved were What About Bob? and 10 Things I Hate About You. Both of those just happened to be filmed right where I was living at the time and I watched as much of both being made as I possibly could.
By ScoJo

"They say love makes the world go round"

"Well, they're half right. It's love of gold"

By tim28212

I should probably re-visit this movie. I saw it in the theaters when it came out and, like The Shining, remember being totally disappointed with it having read the book. I've come to appreciate The Shining a bit more (it still doesn't hold up against the book IMHO) so maybe my opinion will change for Ghost Story.
By ScoJo
I'm six episodes into this Dutch, eight-part Netflix horror show and am really enjoying - I guess it's technically YA- oriented based on the main cast ages and some of the themes, but it certainly doesn't skimp on disturbing ideas and imagery!

Beautifully made, great score and production design, and Jade Olieberg in the lead is brilliant in a fascinating role (ie not a traditional 'good' guy unwittingly uncovering a mystery/getting into peril...)

If I was trying to sell you on it without too much hype, I'd say Suspiria by way of David Fincher/The Social Network and a young-adult take on Eyes Wide Shut? It doesn't necessarily feel wildly original, but it's really well crafted and definitely seems to be hitting pretty hard on themes of repressed Dutch colonial guilt/current anti-elitism sentiments... and as I say the main character's general motivations and unconventional heroine-role in the story takes it to a higher level for me.

Also, loving me the modern Amsterdam-setting!

ares-british-movie-poster.jpg
ares-british-movie-poster.jpg (59.99 KiB) Viewed 2169 times

By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:16 am I'm six episodes into this Dutch, eight-part Netflix horror show and am really enjoying - I guess it's technically YA- oriented based on the main cast ages and some of the themes, but it certainly doesn't skimp on disturbing ideas and imagery!

Beautifully made, great score and production design, and Jade Olieberg in the lead is brilliant in a fascinating role (ie not a traditional 'good' guy unwittingly uncovering a mystery/getting into peril...)

If I was trying to sell you on it without too much hype, I'd say Suspiria by way of David Fincher/The Social Network and a young-adult take on Eyes Wide Shut? It doesn't necessarily feel wildly original, but it's really well crafted and definitely seems to be hitting pretty hard on themes of repressed Dutch colonial guilt/current anti-elitism sentiments... and as I say the main character's general motivations and unconventional heroine-role in the story takes it to a higher level for me.

Are you watching it in Dutch? Probably sounds the same for some as German :-)
I haven't yet seen it. My other half doesn't care for those type of shows.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:39 am
ScoJo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:16 am I'm six episodes into this Dutch, eight-part Netflix horror show and am really enjoying - I guess it's technically YA- oriented based on the main cast ages and some of the themes, but it certainly doesn't skimp on disturbing ideas and imagery!

Are you watching it in Dutch? Probably sounds the same for some as German :-)
I haven't yet seen it. My other half doesn't care for those type of shows.
Always original language, Ben - loves me some freaky-deaky Dutch ;) I only ever watch dubbed if it's no other option
By Bezulsqy
^ dan heel veel plezier met kijken vuile hond :-)

I just finished this bizar thing

Umberto Lenzi's 1974 Spasmo
score by Ennio Morricone

By ScoJo
Yep, just finished ARES. I double down on my strong recommendation. The way it closes out.....

Last edited by ScoJo on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:21 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:39 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:43 pm ^ dan heel veel plezier met kijken vuile hond :-)
[youtube]https://youtu.be/JIMq4afb1wM?t=46[/youtube]
Doc, she’s chocking....
Hahaha. I am laughing like a twelve year boy.
I said you dirty dog!
By inksb
I've never even heard of that one @scojo, going to add it to the list.

I watched Monstrom on Shudder this weekend. A pleasant surprise, it's essentially a 16th century version of The Host. Really fun monster movie. Nothing groundbreaking but very well done. Worth checking out.

I knew nothing about this other than seeing a few people I follow online enjoyed it. The first 5 minutes had me rolling my eyes, here we go another rich people hunting people for sport movie. Once I hit the 10 minute mark, three of the characters I assumed would be the main character or at least a sub character had been killed in ridiculous ways. I was honestly a little puzzled. Shortly after that the main character shows up the film is off, it moves and does not let up until the credits role. This is a dumb and ridiculous take on a genre that has very little to offer normally, it was highly entertaining even if it was pretty standard fare. Worth a look if it's streaming.

I decided to revisit Memories which I haven't seen since the VHS days. I found a HD copy floating around the internet and boy does it look fantastic. The animation is just so beautiful. It was getting late last night and the other half was getting tired so we shut it off after the 2nd short (Stinkbomb) so tonight we hopefully will finish it up. I forgot how much I like this film.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:47 pm Yep, just finished ARES. I double down on my strong recommendation. The way it closes out.....

Finished it today. I enjoyed it. Very entertaining. Is this what the young ones mean when they use the word ‘woke’?
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:17 pm
ScoJo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:47 pm Yep, just finished ARES. I double down on my strong recommendation. The way it closes out.....

Finished it today. I enjoyed it. Very entertaining. Is this what the young ones mean when they use the word ‘woke’?
Haha, indeed. It really took a HARD turn into socio-political commentary at the end there huh? I loved it. Can imagine it ruffling a few feathers though.
By Dollarhyde
inksb wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:23 pm
I decided to revisit Memories which I haven't seen since the VHS days. I found a HD copy floating around the internet and boy does it look fantastic. The animation is just so beautiful. It was getting late last night and the other half was getting tired so we shut it off after the 2nd short (Stinkbomb) so tonight we hopefully will finish it up. I forgot how much I like this film.
I need to see this one how is the soundtrack? I think it never got a vinyl release, is this something similar to robot carnival?

SPACE FAMILY CARLVINSON

Recently won the ost to this one in a yahoo auction. Had never heard of it before but enjoyed this short OVA. Typical product of the anime boom of the 80's. I'm guessing it's based off a manga. Complicated back story that isn't explained simple plot that doesn't really go far, but! Amazing character and background design and animation.

VAMPIRE HUNTER D

So, watching this classic for the first time also :) for some reason I never got round to it back in the day, I think I was more sci-fi obsessed.
Still need to finish it this evening but Damn!! Is this great. The background drawings are a bit simple at times, as is some of the character drawings, and there are some basic animation techniques used at times. But the colouring, composition, direction, sound FX and score just deliver so much atmosphere. Can't wait to finish it tonight. I'm watching the dub on YouTube but may have to track down/purchase the sub.
By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:22 pm
I need to see this one how is the soundtrack? I think it never got a vinyl release, is this something similar to robot carnival?

VAMPIRE HUNTER D
So, watching this classic for the first time also :) for some reason I never got round to it back in the day, I think I was more sci-fi obsessed.
Still need to finish it this evening but Damn!! Is this great. The background drawings are a bit simple at times, as is some of the character drawings, and there are some basic animation techniques used at times. But the colouring, composition, direction, sound FX and score just deliver so much atmosphere. Can't wait to finish it tonight. I'm watching the dub on YouTube but may have to track down/purchase the sub.
The soundtrack to Memories is quite varied, the first segment is probably my favorite out of the three score wise. The second segment, Stink Bomb, has such a strange upbeat and energetic score. The third one didn't do as much for me but still was decent, I'm curious how it would play for me as a standalone piece with out the accompanying animation.

So glad you finally saw and enjoyed Vampire Hunter D. It's one of the anime's that introduced me to adult themes and violence in animation, blew my mind when I saw for the first time back in the early 90's
By ScoJo
I'm incredibly psych'd - have always been a complete nut for old school 3D (movies, comics, art) and without having a 3D tv I have figured out a way using software to watch 1080 Side-by-Side 3D movies and convert them into anaglyph! So tonight's double bill, comin' at me.....

IMG_2559.JPG
IMG_2559.JPG (348.79 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

This one is from bluray and looks amazing!

IMG_2562.JPG
IMG_2562.JPG (333.44 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

This one is a fan project- somebody realised that the bluray uses the original left eye of the stereo pair, while the dvd used the right! So they balanced the resolution and sync'd them as a stereo pair... I used to have a rip of the anaglyph Japanese laserdisc which was horrible quality- this is effectively the first time I've seen Part III fully in 3D!!

By Mateo Sanboval
That's really cool. I have never even considered this.
By static14
@Scojo hook a brother up with F13 3D, ive been looking for that for ages.

There is a proper 3d bluray coming out but its only in a crazy big boxset.
By Bezulsqy
^ScoJo
That looks like an excellent idea. If I understand this correctly that means I only need a pair of those red/blue glasses to see the 3D effect?
I wouldn't mind a copy of those files :-)
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:43 am ^ScoJo
That looks like an excellent idea. If I understand this correctly that means I only need a pair of those red/blue glasses to see the 3D effect?
I wouldn't mind a copy of those files :-)
That's right B! As old school as it gets - I love anaglyph, even though it's obviously not as effective as the more modern 3D methods.. but that's how these films were seen in their day at the flicks and I get all the feels. I even made some anaglyph 3D films myself years ago. Friday Part III was unbelievably fun, and at least 300% a better film in 3D!

I'll DM you re: the movies...