A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
She wanted to watch Dead Ringers yesterday! Has been 20 years since I last saw that. Brilliant!
By inksb

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

First time watch for me, what a blast. I didn't realize it was such a low budget production but man they put a hell of a lot of effort into those clown masks and all of the props. Had a lot of fun watching it.

Wild Search dir by Ringo Lam

A kind of depressing affair here. Great film, I was a little too tired to really take it in but I managed to stay awake the whole time. Chow Yun Fat was excellent.

Tiger Cage dir by Woo-Ping Yuen

I absolutely loved this, I picked up the Tiger Cage I-III collection from 88 Films blindly and it's one of the best blind buy's I've made in ages. Donnie Yen has a small role in the film, he's quite young. I would categorize it as a violent cop film with a bit of martial arts thrown in for good measure. The squib budget is almost on Robocop's level, I was completely blown away with how over the top the squib use. I loved it. Definitely check it out if you're in the mood for a good unknown action film

Tiger Cage II dir by Woo-Ping Yuen

So the director brought back a handful of actors/actresses from the first film but they play completely different characters, it has no connection to the first film other than actors. This one is more focused on martial arts rather than shootouts like the first one. Donnie Yen is the main character (for the most part) and it's equally as entertaining as the first. A little more comedic as well. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Curious if the third will live up to the first two.
By Bezulsqy
Tullio Demicheli's 1973 Un tipo con una faccia strana ti cerca per ucciderti a.k.a. Ricco
starring Barbara Bouchet and Christopher Mitchum
score by Nando De Luca

By Bezulsqy
Umberto Lenzi's 1965 Superseven chiama Cairo a.k.a. Super Seven Calling Cairo
starring Roger Browne, Fabienne Dali and Rosalba Neri
score by Angelo Francesco Lavagnino

By Bezulsqy
I am going to watch the Infernal Affairs trilogy this evening/night. Not sure if I will manage all three back to back but we’ll see. I have seen those 15 years ago for the first and only time.
Next week The Departed again to compare.
By Bezulsqy
the first one is great
the second is hard to follow :-)
the third one is for another time

By ScoJo
BC7B3A80-6D8E-438A-B154-D66DE09F9DBB-2429-00000404907F91EB.jpg
BC7B3A80-6D8E-438A-B154-D66DE09F9DBB-2429-00000404907F91EB.jpg (29 KiB) Viewed 864 times
By ScoJo
Well, that was definitely... a movie!

I grow more and more perversely fond of JCVD the more movies I finally catch up on... his weird little quirky choices, his signature moves, the utter nonsense of the characters he plays. And his huuuuuge coke habit! Hahaha.... it's so obvious watching those talk show appearances in the 90s, man he was in full flight.

Think I might do Knock Off next, another Tsui Hark joint (with a Steven E. deSouza script).

I know I'm ridiculously late to this party, but what can I say - I almost completely ignored the motherfucker back at that time ;)
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:42 am Well, that was definitely... a movie!

I grow more and more perversely fond of JCVD the more movies I finally catch up on... his weird little quirky choices, his signature moves, the utter nonsense of the characters he plays. And his huuuuuge coke habit! Hahaha.... it's so obvious watching those talk show appearances in the 90s, man he was in full flight.

Think I might do Knock Off next, another Tsui Hark joint (with a Steven E. deSouza script).

I know I'm ridiculously late to this party, but what can I say - I almost completely ignored the motherfucker back at that time ;)
It is never too late to fall under JCVDs spell!
By Bezulsqy

Here is my top 18 again if you need some inspiration ;-)
Knock Off is fantastic! And if you are looking for a copy of any of these, you know how to find me...

1. Lukas
* JCVD (I cannot rank this. For me it is brilliant also because of the setting in Brussels and the originality. But you need to have seen a lot of JCVD to truly appreciate this one.)
2. Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
3. Timecop
4. Hard Target
5. Bloodsport
6. Universal Soldier
7. Universal Soldier: Regeneration
8. Cyborg
9. Nowhere to Run
10. Maximum Risk
11. In Hell
12. Legionnaire
13. Replicant
14. Knock Off
15. Wake of Death
16. Until Death
17. Pound of Flesh

18. Lionheart
18. Kickboxer
18. Kickboxer: Vengeance
18. No Retreat, No Surrender
18. Death Warrant
18. Double Impact (of course everyone should see this one, same as Cyborg)
18. Sudden Death
18. The Quest
18. Double Team
18. Enemies Closer
18. We Die Young
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:27 am

Here is my top 18 again if you need some inspiration ;-)
Knock Off is fantastic! And if you are looking for a copy of any of these, you know how to find me...

1. Lukas
* JCVD (I cannot rank this. For me it is brilliant also because of the setting in Brussels and the originality. But you need to have seen a lot of JCVD to truly appreciate this one.)
2. Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
3. Timecop
4. Hard Target
5. Bloodsport
6. Universal Soldier
7. Universal Soldier: Regeneration
8. Cyborg
9. Nowhere to Run
10. Maximum Risk
11. In Hell
12. Legionnaire
13. Replicant
14. Knock Off
15. Wake of Death
16. Until Death
17. Pound of Flesh

18. Lionheart
18. Kickboxer
18. Kickboxer: Vengeance
18. No Retreat, No Surrender
18. Death Warrant
18. Double Impact (of course everyone should see this one, same as Cyborg)
18. Sudden Death
18. The Quest
18. Double Team
18. Enemies Closer
18. We Die Young
Thanks so much for the reminder! Excellent work. Most of his seem fairly easy to find (a lot are even on Youtube in full), but thanks a lot. Definitely doing Knock Off, and of your top 17 I've only seen 4 so far! :-)
By Bezulsqy
I watched The Departed yesterday. Excellent movie with a terrific Jack Nicholson. However I think I prefer to plot of Infernal Affairs. The maffia mole (Matt Damon's character) appears to be much smarter and interesting. Also the role of the psychiatrist is a bit too much in The Departed. In the original both moles have there own love interest which makes it a bit more believable. Also I prefer the ending of Infernal Affairs.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:16 pm I watched The Departed yesterday. Excellent movie with a terrific Jack Nicholson. However I think I prefer to plot of Infernal Affairs. The maffia mole (Matt Damon's character) appears to be much smarter and interesting. Also the role of the psychiatrist is a bit too much in The Departed. In the original both moles have there own love interest which makes it a bit more believable. Also I prefer the ending of Infernal Affairs.
I haven't seen the original but interestingly enough, I have the same exact complaints about The Departed even without the comparison. So you're definitely on to something I'd say ;)

I'd also add, I can live without Winstone doing his standard tough guy BS any day of the week personally, and even though it works in the film that Scruffy Murpheys' track makes my fucking balls itch :(((
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:52 pm let's end the evening with some Umberto Lenzi

This one has been on my watch list for a while. How was it?
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:24 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:52 pm let's end the evening with some Umberto Lenzi

This one has been on my watch list for a while. How was it?
Magic :-)
By Hatter313
Go see Barbarian with as little information as possible.

What absolute chaos and unexpected lunacy

I don’t think I’ll ever watch it again but wow
By ScoJo
Very much looking forward to it.

Oddly, tonight’s home viewing was House of Darkness which shares cast members from Barbarian- Justin Long and Kate Bosworth. New Neil Labute, with another typically stagey dissection of sexual politics but this time framed in a horror reworking (the reveal is very obvious early on, not to mention the hand-tipping trailer, yet I’ll still refrain from spoiling). Worth watching for the leads and the usual Labute verbal sparring, but pretty tame stuff genre wise.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:10 am Go see Barbarian with as little information as possible.

It was supposed to be playing at my local theater, it was on the coming soon list for this week but is not there. I will be going to see Pearl this weekend though.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:22 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:10 am Go see Barbarian with as little information as possible.

It was supposed to be playing at my local theater, it was on the coming soon list for this week but is not there. I will be going to see Pearl this weekend though.
I missed X for some reason and forgot about it until I saw the trailer for pearl a few weeks ago and sat straight up wondering what the hell this was. All caught up now and will definitely be catching that this weekend as well
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:23 pm
inksb wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:22 pm

I missed X for some reason and forgot about it until I saw the trailer for pearl a few weeks ago and sat straight up wondering what the hell this was. All caught up now and will definitely be catching that this weekend as well

I love X. I'm a huge Ti West fan so it was awesome to see him direct a film again. And they announced the third film of the series which will be titled MaXXXine and deals with Mia's character in the 80's in LA.
By Hatter313
This concept of doing each film heavily in the style of the decade it’s set in is really cool