A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
I'm a compulsive rewatcher. my list goes on and on. rarely more than once a year but theres at least 30 or so films i watch annually and a small handful that i watch repeatedly.
By ScoJo
Interesting plan, @Bez. I feel there are a few different reasons for/ways to approach serial rewatching. To find more aspects/pure joy/comfort food/to try and unlock complexity. Or just because there is one aspect that you particularly enjoy (story, an actor, a style or setting, music etc) Which of those covers your own rewatch approach?

I have an endless carousel of favourites that I will go to regularly, for pure hedonistic indulgence. Just yesterday I was raving to a friend who has never seen Tough Guys Don't Dance, but even as I was hard-selling it, I realised I'm likely in a veeery small minority on that one!! (What can I say... it has just always tickled me ;)
By deafmetal
I finally watched The VVitch: A New-England Folktale and very much enjoyed it. I am now caught up with all the Black Phillip joekz and memez. Looking forward to The Northman.
By inksb
deafmetal wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:34 am I finally watched The VVitch: A New-England Folktale and very much enjoyed it. I am now caught up with all the Black Phillip joekz and memez. Looking forward to The Northman.
Have you seen The Lighthouse?
By deafmetal
inksb wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:52 am
deafmetal wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:34 am I finally watched The VVitch: A New-England Folktale and very much enjoyed it. I am now caught up with all the Black Phillip joekz and memez. Looking forward to The Northman.
Indeed, I should have mentioned that. My reaction to that tale is here
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:14 pm Interesting plan, @Bez. I feel there are a few different reasons for/ways to approach serial rewatching. To find more aspects/pure joy/comfort food/to try and unlock complexity. Or just because there is one aspect that you particularly enjoy (story, an actor, a style or setting, music etc) Which of those covers your own rewatch approach?

I have an endless carousel of favourites that I will go to regularly, for pure hedonistic indulgence. Just yesterday I was raving to a friend who has never seen Tough Guys Don't Dance, but even as I was hard-selling it, I realised I'm likely in a veeery small minority on that one!! (What can I say... it has just always tickled me ;)
As @inksb also mentioned I do have limited time and so many movies I still need or want to see for a first time but I might try this as sort of an experiment.
And as @Hatter says an annual rewatch of some movies makes more sense. Although 30 I do find a lot :-)

My top sentiment about an approach tends to be with the unlocking of complexity. But I also remember especially loving movies with long and interesting dialogues such as Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. But a movie like Eraserhead or most of David Lynch's work might be an interesting option because there is a lot to discover.
A long movie might make for an easier rewatch because it is harder for me to remember everything. Or I should go for a movie like the new Dune because of the elaborate story. It has to be a movie that is more than a simple action movie.

At the moment I am thinking of picking a giallo because I love the genre/style/music and although I have seen more than 130 of those my memory is pretty bad even for the ones I remember loving. I don't really know anymore why I remember loving some of them more than others.
I also watch movies without paying too much attention about how they are made. I am very easily pleased with a story. Rewatching a movie many times in a relative short time period might help me understand or learn more about how it's made. So I might choose one that has a commentary track added to it. That would make one rewatch at least very interesting and different.
And maybe after three times I decide it is enough. Why punish myself :-)
By Bezulsqy
Patlabor 2... I found this one to be pretty difficult to fully understand. Very political. Interesting but I definitely prefer the first one.

By zuko
Saw Licorice Pizza last night, loved it. "Fuck off teenagers!" Makes me want to do a full PTA rewatch.

But also piggy-backing on Bez’s noir idea, in the last week I watched:

The Woman in the Window (1944)
OK, but was expecting a bit more considering it was #1 on that Paste Magazine list.

The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
Ticks all the noir archetypes, but the presentation is kind of deranged.

Cape Fear (1962)
Also crossing over with my Mitchum-watch. He's superb in this. Took me by surprise how malevolent this gets, I guess Psycho coming a couple of years before this really pushed things forward.
By inksb
Not sure if any of you watch The Righteous Gemstones but the new season started Sunday and boy was the first episode a hell of a lot of fun. There's a stupid bit around "bye Felicia!" that had me laughing my ass off.
By deafmetal
zuko wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:50 pm Cape Fear (1962)
Also crossing over with my Mitchum-watch. He's superb in this. Took me by surprise how malevolent this gets, I guess Psycho coming a couple of years before this really pushed things forward.
'62 Cape Fear is intense.
By Hatter313
deafmetal wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:51 pm
zuko wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:50 pm Cape Fear (1962)
'62 Cape Fear is intense.
I think he’s every scarier in Night Of the Hunter, but both performances are so sinister and off putting, and then to watch him play his absurd character in Scrooged with a straight face. Seriously? The man delivers “Cats are beginning to watch television” with the same gravitas he threatens Peck, you really see how solid and committed an actor he was.
By Bezulsqy
zuko wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:50 pm Saw Licorice Pizza last night, loved it. "Fuck off teenagers!" Makes me want to do a full PTA rewatch.

But also piggy-backing on Bez’s noir idea, in the last week I watched:

The Woman in the Window (1944)
OK, but was expecting a bit more considering it was #1 on that Paste Magazine list.

The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
Ticks all the noir archetypes, but the presentation is kind of deranged.

Cape Fear (1962)
I have only seen Cape Fear years ago and do remember really loving it.
By Bezulsqy
deafmetal wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:03 am
inksb wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:52 am
Indeed, I should have mentioned that. My reaction to that tale is here
while reading up on some anime I found this:

https://www.slashfilm.com/582017/the-li ... junji-ito/
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:19 pm I didn't even know there was a third one. How was it?
It was not bad. But the first one for me is easily the best. In the third one there is not a lot of patlabor action. It has to do with some sort of biochemical weapon conspiracy type of thing. It is not a must see.
By ChrisMcQueen007
It‘s slasher time.
Aka The Dorm That Dripped Blood or Pranks. Not seen this one before, not expecting this to be top tier - nevertheless it‘s an ‚golden age’/early 80ties entry and features (as many of you will know) Christopher Young‘s first score.
Attachments
348FF2A2-281A-4C0E-9FF1-EEAACB0CDE53.jpeg
348FF2A2-281A-4C0E-9FF1-EEAACB0CDE53.jpeg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1493 times
By EvanCampbell
Chris let me know how that is...I think it is the same group that did The Kindred...finally on dvd and bluray
20220113_193240.jpg
20220113_193240.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 1479 times
By ChrisMcQueen007
EvanCampbell wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:37 am Chris let me know how that is...I think it is the same group that did The Kindred...finally on dvd and bluray
20220113_193240.jpg
It was pretty good but for sure not a tier A entry into the slasher canon. It has this low-fi/home made vibe to it (a bit like a shot on video film incl. some subpar acting and dialogue). That said, some of the kills are quite effective (given the low budget) and the ending is pretty nasty. I really quite liked it, it's almost a diamond in the rough due to the passion that the filmmakers put into the project and Young's score.

And yes, it' the crew/directors behind "The Kindred" (Jeffrey Obrow and Stephen Carpenter) . I have not yet got the blu ray and have not seen it before but I want to, now even more after having seen their first film.
By ScoJo
Their film "The Power" is terrible but nostalgo-fun, and also has a good early Chris Young score.
By inksb
I want to buy that Synapse blu of The Kindred but it's $50 which is just absurd. I paid that for their Suspiria steelbook bluray a few years ago but that's for Suspiria, I can't say I want to blindly spend that much on The Kindred.
By tim28212
ScoJo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:23 am Their film "The Power" is terrible but nostalgo-fun, and also has a good early Chris Young score.
The Power was my intro to Christopher Young. I imagine the movie doesn't hold up well today but I saw it when it was released in theaters and really like it. It was a no-brainer when the score showed up in my monthly STAR (Sound Track Album Retailers) catalog. Snagged it immediately. :)