A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
And McHattie is electric in it.
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:26 am
First one is fine. Five and six are great. They are legitimately two of the best action movies of the 2000's.
So Regeneration is good? I skipped that one. I've seen 2, parts of 3 and I think I've caught a little of 4 at one point on TV years ago. Didn't like any of what I saw. I honestly only watched 6 because of Scott, if he wasn't in it I would have completely skipped it as well lol. Glad I didn't, there are some incredible action scenes in that one.
By Mateo Sanboval
Five and Six are Dredd level good. The Raid level good. This is real talk.
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:13 am And McHattie is electric in it.
Another actor I don’t think about until suddenly he’s being incredible in something I’m watching. He’s the third part of that James Remar/Lance Hendrickson trifecta, they are all part of the same type of lanky, wide eyed, hollow cheeked, bat shit crazy model of person
By Bezulsqy
Okay, after all this JCVD talk I am going to ry to watch all of his movies this year... (I might skip Monaco Love though...)

1. No Retreat, No Surrender (1986)

By Mateo Sanboval
Wicked fun flick, Bez!
By inksb
That's how I stretch every morning. Then I do a few moonsalts off the second rope to get the blood going.
By Hatter313
static14 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:11 pm My screenwriting teacher in college penned that gem. :)
I love stuff like this. In college, I had a gothic novel class with Dennis Paoli, reanimator, from beyond et al. Stupid me didn’t even realize who he was until about half way through the semester. He assumed it’s WHY I had taken the class too, said he always recognized the horror kids vs the literature kids but I snuck in as both haha. He told me he liked my writing once and honestly, even though it’s what I do professionally and it’s been a long time since college, still the best “review” I’ve ever gotten haha (atrocious typing and rambling you see from me here notwithstanding)
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:55 pm
static14 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:11 pm My screenwriting teacher in college penned that gem. :)
I love stuff like this. In college, I had a gothic novel class with Dennis Paoli, reanimator, from beyond et al. Stupid me didn’t even realize who he was until about half way through the semester. He assumed it’s WHY I had taken the class too, said he always recognized the horror kids vs the literature kids but I snuck in as both haha. He told me he liked my writing once and honestly, even though it’s what I do professionally and it’s been a long time since college, still the best “review” I’ve ever gotten haha (atrocious typing and rambling you see from me here notwithstanding)
That's awesome. I'm not a good writer, I've struggled with it my entire life, HS and college I dreaded writing. Until one semester I had an art history teacher pull me aside after getting our grades on a project and tell me that he bumped my grade up due to the way I write my essays. I was confused and asked what he meant, he said that I write exactly how I speak, most people don't do that and he really enjoys reading my writing. It's the only compliment I've ever received for my writing and it stuck with me.
By inksb
jgibbs4053 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:07 pm I started trying to watch House ‘77 on HBOMax. Such a weird movie
Very weird movie. I love it :)
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:19 pm
jgibbs4053 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:07 pm I started trying to watch House ‘77 on HBOMax. Such a weird movie
Very weird movie. I love it :)
Someone, and I can’t remember who but I think it was criterion, described it as an episode of scooby doo as if directed by Mario Bava and I’ve rarely heard a better description of anything ever
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:03 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:55 pm
That's awesome. I'm not a good writer, I've struggled with it my entire life, HS and college I dreaded writing. Until one semester I had an art history teacher pull me aside after getting our grades on a project and tell me that he bumped my grade up due to the way I write my essays. I was confused and asked what he meant, he said that I write exactly how I speak, most people don't do that and he really enjoys reading my writing. It's the only compliment I've ever received for my writing and it stuck with me.
That’s honestly the best thing you can do, Elmore Leonard once said “if it sounds like writing, I rewrite it” and it’s one of the best pieces of advice I could give a writer today. Unless you are mimicking a specific style, do what feels natural and not what feels “writerly” and you’ll usually wind up on top. Stephen King is a great example, he’s not a stylist, he just knows how to tell a story and how to get his imagination on the page. Any time I’ve tried to compose something that was in a specific tone or style it’s a slog. but when I let the story guide the prose I rarely feel the need to style edit.

My friend and editor however would like me to be super clear that my spelling and punctuation is atrocious and that he still has a great deal of work to do. :)
By ScoJo
What a fun 'matters literary' turn this thread has taken! Keep it up, fascinating stuff. I've 'struggled' with the page my whole life - I used to be able to un-self-consciously (and un-self-critically!) bang out scripts when I was younger, and now it is like pulling teeth (from the mouth of a slumbering dragon in a pitch black cave armed only with chopsticks!)
By Hatter313
If I think about a story too long the psychological need to tell it gets satisfied and I have a hard time writing anything. If I just let it go I get good results but unfortunately because I do it professionally when it comes time to turn to my own fiction again I’m usually pretty burnt out from technical and advertising writing and have a hard time working on my own stuff.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:21 pm If I think about a story too long the psychological need to tell it gets satisfied and I have a hard time writing anything.
I find this to be true with such a wide range of endeavors not at all limited to, but certainly including, the arts.
By Jimmy_Mike
I too have struggled with writing. I had a college professor compliment me and I was off and running. Then I got a job writing for the government and it killed my writing. It’s a vulnerable thing to put your writing out there. There is so much you can learn/assume about someone when you read their prose. Not everyone is Buzz Bissinger.
By Hatter313
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:25 pm I too have struggled with writing. I had a college professor compliment me and I was off and running. Then I got a job writing for the government and it killed my writing. It’s a vulnerable thing to put your writing out there. There is so much you can learn/assume about someone when you read thier prose. Not everyone is Buzz Bissinger.
THIS right here. Writing commercially is a real "art" killer if you don't work to keep your own stuff fresh and your own enjoyment of it palpable. i'll drop another favorite quote from Gore Vidal, when asked if he enjoyed writing.

"I enjoy having written"

the art itself, like anything worthwhile, is grueling and requires attention....but the satisfaction of completion (as if an artist ever considers a project complete) is glorious.

In a civilized society we could all just make a living making art if we wanted to.
By Bezulsqy
Imdb lists 2 JCVD movies in 1988. I know I have seen one of them I don't think I have ever seen this one. So this is first:

2. Black Eagle (1988)