A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:04 pm People were ANGRY coming out of that theater, I heard my conversation and worse shouted from every corner of the parking lot. We at least felt a sense of solidarity at that point.
The absolute drizzling shits. I really hope Carpenter & Co got at least a cool million per film, only fair considering the industry those scores have become for all concerned. (Never mind that they almost-incidentally livened up one solid new Halloween film and two godawful ones.)

My breath actually catches when I consider speaking out loud the awfulness of this dreck.
By Hatter313
It’s truly astounding, my mental gymnastics about Kills were framed entirely by “ok they had a story they wanted to do in two parts but the success made them stretch it to 3 and the next one will be better now that they are back on track”

And maybe that was once true, but even the threads of Kills were tossed out for whatever this was. A mean spirited, unpleasant story that once again sidelined the story we were told we were going to see, devoid of fun or fear or thrill replaced with underdeveloped badly thought out ideas steeped in melodrama that can’t decide whose side it’s on or what it wishes to actually say.

Hot garbage. What a shame.
By deafmetal
I run a few years (or more) behind most of you on new releases and have not even seen HK yet. The reviews here on the recent Halloween films are depressing. At least there are the tunes, but what could have been?

I finally watched Annihilation. What an experience. Looked amazing in 4k on a large display. I watched it very late alone in the dark in a weird headspace and it sent to me strange places. I felt stunned by the ending and then those brain-melting end credits and music had me sinking into my chair. Have since picked up the novel and devoured it. Now further into the Southern Reach trilogy. Thank you, friends.
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:37 pm I run a few years (or more) behind most of you on new releases and have not even seen HK yet. The reviews here on the recent Halloween films are depressing. At least there are the tunes, but what could have been?

I finally watched Annihilation. What an experience. Looked amazing in 4k on a large display. I watched it very late alone in the dark in a weird headspace and it sent to me strange places. I felt stunned by the ending and then those brain-melting end credits and music had me sinking into my chair. Have since picked up the novel and devoured it. Now further into the Southern Reach trilogy. Thank you, friends.
Love that film so much. Saw it twice in theatres and at least five times since - a completely satisfying, transportive science fiction experience.

Out of interest- have you seen The Empty Man? Not anywhere near the same league for sure, but it’s really good and shares some dna with the Garland film in my eyes.
By Hatter313
Annihilation is very cool! I need to revisit. I liked vandermeers early work a lot and never kept up but I have most of it here somewhere in the every growing to read pile.

I’ve also heard cool things about The Empty Man, will add that to the list as well.

Yes, let’s chat good movies.
By inksb
Yes every one must watch Th Empty Man, it's very very good.

I love Annhilation as well, think I'm ready for a rewatch soon.

As for Halloween Ends, holy fucking shit, how did they think THAT was what any one wanted? I can't believe the same team of people were involved in all 3 films, this one feels so detached from anyone that even remotely knows what a Halloween movie is supposed to be. I turned to my wife at the hour mark and said "this is really bad" she looked at me and said "ok, I didn't want to say anything because I knew you were excited but this is awful". Why did they think we needed Laurie to narrate the film as a memoir? That never works and when the writing is high school level it's even worse.

I think I'm gonna cleanse my pallet with Blade 2.
By Bezulsqy
After reading all of your comments I decided I am not going to watch the first two of this last Halloween trilogy. But you made me very curious about how bad Ends is. I am going to watch it in half an hour or so.

Great idea to rewatch Annihilation. I have only seen it once when it came out. And The Empty Man is very good indeed.

Yesterday I watched the 4k version of Three Days of the Condor. I thought I had seen it before, but I hadn't. Now I understand why everyone wants the soundtrack. Fantastic 70s vibe. The movie itself wasn't as good as expected. Reminded me a bit about how in the spy thrillers from the 60s the hero ruffs up a girl and a couple of hours later she willingly goes to bed with him.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:38 am After reading all of your comments I decided I am not going to watch the first two of this last Halloween trilogy. But you made me very curious about how bad Ends is. I am going to watch it in half an hour or so.

Great idea to rewatch Annihilation. I have only seen it once when it came out. And The Empty Man is very good indeed.

Yesterday I watched the 4k version of Three Days of the Condor. I thought I had seen it before, but I hadn't. Now I understand why everyone wants the soundtrack. Fantastic 70s vibe. The movie itself wasn't as good as expected. Reminded me a bit about how in the spy thrillers from the 60s the hero ruffs up a girl and a couple of hours later she willingly goes to bed with him.
Re: Halloween - probably for the best ;) Life is too short brother.

Re: Three Days - that particular scene is an infamous one, representing that kind of weird gung ho plotting/toxic masculinity found in hollywood thrillers of the time. Don’t attempt to watch The Eiger Sanction if it bugged you is all I would suggest!
By Bezulsqy

This surely wasn't as bad as you all made it out to be :-)

I do agree with this comment from Hatter:
It’s truly astounding, my mental gymnastics about Kills were framed entirely by “ok they had a story they wanted to do in two parts but the success made them stretch it to 3 and the next one will be better now that they are back on track”

And maybe that was once true, but even the threads of Kills were tossed out for whatever this was. A mean spirited, unpleasant story that once again sidelined the story we were told we were going to see, devoid of fun or fear or thrill replaced with underdeveloped badly thought out ideas steeped in melodrama that can’t decide whose side it’s on or what it wishes to actually say.
Plus points for adding a little bit of JCVD!
By Hatter313
Ok so last night night I went back to my local Alamo to watch The Crow, which was a real treat on the big screen for the first time and a movie that never fails to warm my heart and, to quote Top Dollar, put a smile on my face. (Never actually clocked that he gets a gargoyle spike through the mouth as well at the end there, the things you see on a big screen vs a TV even with a movie that I’ve seen countless times is always awesome)

BUT both before I went in and after I came out I happened to view at least two if not three showings of ENDS get out.

It was like a funeral. The looks on these peoples faces.

One of the last things I think I’ll say about these movies is that DGG is a good director, this crew is MORE than competent. There’s nothing bad about the technical aspects of the films in the least and in fact they are the most “prestige” looking movies of their kind if I’m being honest. (Which may be part od the problem) and so I think there’s even more disappointment in their narrative quality when you see how good the movies can look when horror is treated as an A product. What could have been is what’s pissing me off more than even what’s already there.

But yeah anyway, The Crow…always awesome. Every time I watch it these days I do get sad, Brandon had all his fathers charisma combined with a warmth and humor that was so evident in that film. He truly would have been a powerhouse action star and possibly more. How effortlessly fun and magnetic he is on screen.

Three Days of the condor is a favorite of mine, once again putting von Sydow in anything is the best decision you can make for a movie.

The Eiger Sanction is a movie I should love, it’s got all the pieces, but it never quite gets there for me.
By inksb
Would love to see The Crow on the big screen. I was able to see City of Angels (I loved it at the time as I was young but know it's terrible) but never the original.

Brandon was such a huge loss. Between The Crow, Rapid Fire and Showdown in Little Tokyo he was bound for big things. The chemistry he had with Dolph in Showdown was so wonderful. That's one of my go to late night films when I'm being indecisive and can't figure out what to watch.
By EvanCampbell
inksb wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:24 am Yes every one must watch Th Empty Man, it's very very good.

I love Annhilation as well, think I'm ready for a rewatch soon.

As for Halloween Ends, holy fucking shit, how did they think THAT was what any one wanted? I can't believe the same team of people were involved in all 3 films, this one feels so detached from anyone that even remotely knows what a Halloween movie is supposed to be. I turned to my wife at the hour mark and said "this is really bad" she looked at me and said "ok, I didn't want to say anything because I knew you were excited but this is awful". Why did they think we needed Laurie to narrate the film as a memoir? That never works and when the writing is high school level it's even worse.

I think I'm gonna cleanse my pallet with Blade 2.
That is depressing.... not sure if I was ever going to watch the latest Halloween but will make no effort now.
By Bezulsqy
EvanCampbell wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:12 pm i need to rewatch that and also play that soundtrack.
First time for me... And I do need that soundtrack now :-)
By EvanCampbell
Bez ignore my complete confusion haha...although I do believe a lost boys was made in the 2000s. I think a remake is in the works soon also.
By Bezulsqy
EvanCampbell wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:00 pm Bez ignore my complete confusion haha...although I do believe a lost boys was made in the 2000s. I think a remake is in the works soon also.
Haha. This was the 4k version of The Lost Boys and I had never seen it before. Loved it though!
I didn't know there were more, but after your comment I went looking and found a sequel in 2008 and 2010... But I don't think I will bother with those.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:53 am
EvanCampbell wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:00 pm Bez ignore my complete confusion haha...although I do believe a lost boys was made in the 2000s. I think a remake is in the works soon also.
Haha. This was the 4k version of The Lost Boys and I had never seen it before. Loved it though!
I didn't know there were more, but after your comment I went looking and found a sequel in 2008 and 2010... But I don't think I will bother with those.
They are not good, just skip them. I watched half of the first sequel and bailed. How big was the 4K file of Lost Boys that you watched? Did it have HDR?
By ScoJo
3629BC1E-D379-45F7-BC6B-710C3690AEE7.jpeg
3629BC1E-D379-45F7-BC6B-710C3690AEE7.jpeg (110.88 KiB) Viewed 770 times