A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb

You Are Not My Mother dir by Kate Dolan

Bad poster aside, this film was really quite good. An Irish horror film that centers around a mid teen girl whose mother has some issues, never quite divulged but on the surface she seems like a drug user. They live with the grandmother who has some odd tendencies. The mother goes missing and when she returns something isn't quite right. That's all I'll really divulge about the plot. It's quite tense, has a good pace and some great performances. I definitely recommend checking this one out.

Drive dir by Steve Wang

This is a bad movie, plain and simple. Plot is kind of there and what is there isn't good, the acting is borderline amateur and the "comedy" isn't funny at all but boy do they try. I kind of thought this was a Rush Hour rip off film but actually came out the year before. The reason to watch this is the action, for a low budget, assuming DTV release from '97 the fights, choreography and stunts are really impressive. I kind of forgot American Iron Chef man Mark Dacascos was actually a decent action star with bad acting skills. I had fun watching it.

See For Me dir by Randall Okita

This movie was fucking awful. I'm going to spoil it so either skip reading and watch or do what I recommend which is don't watch it at all. Set up is a blind girl who is hired to cat sit for a very wealthy woman in the middle of nowhere NY (assuming Catskills? not sure where this house would be). Film starts off with the main character trying to leave for her job and her mother is kind of smothering her and being overbearing. She's incredibly rude and snippy with her mother, basically doesn't want any help, she can do it herself (a theme here) which is understandable she wants to prove she can do things her self. She takes a cab to the residence, is very mean to the cab driver who is just trying to do his job (offer to bring her bags to the door, inform her there's a step down on the path she's literally never been on before) then she snaps at the home owner a bunch of times. 15 minutes into this film you will hate the main character. Shortly after the home owner leaves, she calls her friend and uses the camera on the phone to have him tell her where stuff is. She goes into the wine cellar and steals a $5k bottle of wine to sell which leads to an argument with the person on the other end of the phone saying he's not going to help her steal stuff anymore. Basically next she goes outside to smoke, locks her self out and has to call a "help me see" app that directs her on how to break back into the house. That evening she wakes up and people are in the house, she calls the app again and has the girl help her navigate the house with these people in it. You think this is going to be a home invasion film, only it kind of is. She gets caught pretty easily then agrees to help them steal what ever is in the vault for a cut, only she called 911 prior. so then she needs to pretend nothing is wrong, is a complete bitch to the police officer. Then shit goes side ways and she basically has to kill all of the people in the house. And then has a final show down. It's stupid and unfolds in the dumbest way. Then at the end we smash cut to her back on the slopes with her friend guiding her, because there's a whole sub plot of her being a great skier who refuses to ski anymore. It's completely useless and why the fuck do I care that this nasty human being feels good enough to nice again and do what she wants.

If you're going to do a redemption arc for a character that's very unlikeable, it's helpful if you give the audience things to relate with or some likeable traits. This character is horrible all the way through and then everything is just OK for them. After they killed a bunch of people and one person in cold blood that had no weapon and just wanted to leave.
By Hatter313
Everyone go see Everything Everywhere All At Once as soon as you possibly can.

I have nothing else to say
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:44 am Everyone go see Everything Everywhere All At Once as soon as you possibly can.

I have nothing else to say
πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:33 pm I want to see it so bad.
Go in as blind as possible. I went having seen the trailer out of the corner of my eye while distracted and that was pretty much it
By inksb

The Sadness dir by Rob Jabbaz

I've been hearing about this for a solid year, finally found a digital copy and boy did it not disappoint. It's being a called a zombie film but I wouldn't call it that, it's more in line with 28 Days Later type of "zombie" but these people are neither dead nor do they want to strictly eat brains. A virus breaks out and no one is taking it seriously (sound familiar?), scientists warn of a mutation that's possible with the virus, it does mutate and the mutation effects humans in a way that makes them act out every sick, sadistic thought possible. Basically it turns a majority of the population into graphic murderers & rapists. This film has so much fucked up shit in, both implied and depicted, I was blown away. I haven't seen such sick and fucked up shit in a long long time, coupled with incredibly practical effects. I highly recommend checking this out I was sickened and surprised by a lot of it.

The Cellar dir by Brendan Muldowney

For some reason I really like Eliza Cuthbert, no idea why but I always enjoy seeing her in stuff. So this popped up on Shudder Friday evening and I gave it a watch. It's not great, a slight twist on typical "haunted" house movie. There's some decent tension and few good scenes but overall it felt pretty generic and didn't deliver on some of it's set up.

Choose or Die dir by Toby Meakins

This one was kind of fun. It's kind of like Saw mixed with old PC role playing games. Some very blatant dislike for the 80's which I thought was funny. It's not any thing special but an enjoyable 90 minutes.
By monsterworship
inksb wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:54 pm Image

The Sadness dir by Rob Jabbaz

I've been hearing about this for a solid year, finally found a digital copy and boy did it not disappoint. It's being a called a zombie film but I wouldn't call it that, it's more in line with 28 Days Later type of "zombie" but these people are neither dead nor do they want to strictly eat brains. A virus breaks out and no one is taking it seriously (sound familiar?), scientists warn of a mutation that's possible with the virus, it does mutate and the mutation effects humans in a way that makes them act out every sick, sadistic thought possible. Basically it turns a majority of the population into graphic murderers & rapists. This film has so much fucked up shit in, both implied and depicted, I was blown away. I haven't seen such sick and fucked up shit in a long long time, coupled with incredibly practical effects. I highly recommend checking this out I was sickened and surprised by a lot of it.

The Cellar dir by Brendan Muldowney

For some reason I really like Eliza Cuthbert, no idea why but I always enjoy seeing her in stuff. So this popped up on Shudder Friday evening and I gave it a watch. It's not great, a slight twist on typical "haunted" house movie. There's some decent tension and few good scenes but overall it felt pretty generic and didn't deliver on some of it's set up.

Choose or Die dir by Toby Meakins

This one was kind of fun. It's kind of like Saw mixed with old PC role playing games. Some very blatant dislike for the 80's which I thought was funny. It's not any thing special but an enjoyable 90 minutes.

i watched Choose or Die over the weekend, it was enjoyable.
By inksb

The Batman dir by Matt Reeves

As a few around here know I wasn't too excited to see this one well it hit HBO Max yesterday and I decided to give it a go from the comfort of my own home. I have a 7.1 Atmos surround system with 4K 65" TV, I don't think it did the film justice at all. The sound design was really impressive and my system still felt like it was lacking the punch it really needed. I'm gonna make a bold statement, I think this is the best Batman outside of the Burton films. I found each Nolan film less impressive than the last and at this point have zero interest in ever revisiting them outside of maybe Batman Begins. I thought the directing here was excellent, cast was great, plot was enjoyable, pacing for a 3 hr movie was very good and the way we focused less on Bruce and his backstory was huge highlight. Very minor spoilers ahead... There were 3 scenes in particular that were incredibly impressive, the introduction of the Batmobile and it's subsequent chase scene blew me away, the hallway fight that was only illuminated by automatic rifle fire looked incredible and the Bat's appearance during the finale was just super cheesy and fun. Overall the VFX were really great with the exception of the squirrel suit, no idea why that look so terrible. If you were on the fence like I was do yourself a favor, just sit down and watch it.

The One dir by James Wong

I haven't seen this since it hit VHS (yes I still had a VHS player in 2001). I saw it pop up on Netflix a few days ago and decided to revisit it. It's so bad, Li's English is pretty bad and having him play multiple roles in Eng was probably not the best idea. The concept is goofy fun as is a bunch of the action scenes, surprisingly there are some that should look like total trash with CG for the time period and they held up pretty well (the double motorcycle scene in particular was better than expected). There's a few fun moments where he knocks people up into the air then dashes up really fast to hit them and send them flying. Plus is has Carla Gugino which is always a huge benefit. Oh and the rare appearance of Jason Statham's hair who retired shortly after this film.
By Hatter313
So the Northman last night, awesome and just what I wanted. Brutal, weird, and slightly more β€œfantastic” than I was expecting. (Some one was watching a lot of Conan while working on this script, he lifts more than a few scenes and bits almost wholesale but the execution is awesome, and you know what they say about great artists)

All in all, Eggers attention to period detail, atmosphere and eye for a gorgeous shot is on full display here, I’ve yet to be disappointed by a single frame of his in three films.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: ↑Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:59 pm So the Northman last night, awesome and just what I wanted. Brutal, weird, and slightly more β€œfantastic” than I was expecting. (Some one was watching a lot of Conan while working on this script, he lifts more than a few scenes and bits almost wholesale but the execution is awesome, and you know what they say about great artists)

All in all, Eggers attention to period detail, atmosphere and eye for a gorgeous shot is on full display here, I’ve yet to be disappointed by a single frame of his in three films.
I'm even more excited about seeing this now.
By Bezulsqy
@Inksb
I agree with you on The Batman being the best Batman outside of the Burton films. My major gripe was that it felt too long at some point. And I could do without some monologue pieces.

@Hatter: I am really looking forward seeing The Northman! I saw the trailer before The Batman started and it looked fantastic.

@ScoJo: YES! I only noticed that movie existed a couple of days ago.
By inksb
Tenebrae is getting 4K UHD treatment from Arrow in UK and Synapse in US this summer. This will be an upgrade from the bluray for me. It's my favorite Argento film and I feel like I need to own it in the best format possible lol
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: ↑Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:29 pm Tenebrae is getting 4K UHD treatment from Arrow in UK and Synapse in US this summer. This will be an upgrade from the bluray for me. It's my favorite Argento film and I feel like I need to own it in the best format possible lol
I've been upgrading my argento to 4k as they've been happening so i'm happy to add this one to the list.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: ↑Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:54 pm
inksb wrote: ↑Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:29 pm Tenebrae is getting 4K UHD treatment from Arrow in UK and Synapse in US this summer. This will be an upgrade from the bluray for me. It's my favorite Argento film and I feel like I need to own it in the best format possible lol
I've been upgrading my argento to 4k as they've been happening so i'm happy to add this one to the list.
I honestly will only upgrade Suspiria, Tenebrae, Phenomena and maybe Inferno if they ever do that. I have not purchased any Argento 4K yet but plan on those 3
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: ↑Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:56 pm
Hatter313 wrote: ↑Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:54 pm
I honestly will only upgrade Suspiria, Tenebrae, Phenomena and maybe Inferno if they ever do that. I have not purchased any Argento 4K yet but plan on those 3
I did Suspiria in 2019 when synapse upgraded, and Phenomena just last month. I was going to just do those two and then i decided to bite the bullet and get the three arrow releases (bird, deep red, cat) i'll def do tenebre and inferno if they ever get around to it. likely four flies as well just to put that whole run to bed. i quite like opera and missed the bluray so i may just wait for the hopeful 4k release of that and then that;ll be it for argento hopefully forever.
By Revolver_OcelScott
I guess there's some rights issues that are holding up Inferno. I think Disney who now owns Fox is not very likely to supply the negatives/materials needed for a true 4K release. As per the bluray.com forums.
By inksb
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: ↑Wed May 04, 2022 12:18 pm I guess there's some rights issues that are holding up Inferno. I think Disney who now owns Fox is not very likely to supply the negatives/materials needed for a true 4K release. As per the bluray.com forums.
Interesting. I had no idea Fox had anything to do with the release in the US. I can't imagine there isn't proper material over in Italy somewhere though. So hopefully a German release some day is our best bet? I just assumed Blue Underground had it still and was taking forever with it like most things
By Revolver_OcelScott
I think where it gets murky is where the rights lie with home video distribution in different countries. I think an Arrow 4K release in the UK is totally possible, but I guess it would be a 4K from an interpositive and not from the original camera negative, as that is with fox.

Current home video rights I believe I read are still with Blue Underground in the US, but it would be from an old master.

I'd definitely check out the inferno thread on Bluray.com if you're bored or interested, as lots of people with great insight have been discussing it and how convoluted the situation is lol.
By inksb
Always risky to venture onto bluray.com lol

I'll have to go give the thread a read thanks
By inksb
A few of you may be interested in this

DiabolikDVD has partnered with Rough Cut Fan Club and had them design a new slip case for the existing bluray of Messiah of Evil and printed the design on a tshirt as well. They have a bundle of T-shirt, slipcase & bluray for $52 or the T-shirt & slip case for those that already own the blu (like me!) for $30

Artwork by Hauntlove

Full bundle - https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/mes ... -preorder/

Tshirt & slip - https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/onl ... -preorder/

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (839.01 KiB) Viewed 1961 times