A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
If any of you have an opportunity to see evil dead with the new score incorporated, RUN DONT WALK, I dug it as an album, faulty pressing notwithstanding, but integrated into the film is a revelation, absolutely stunning . I really hope they can find a way to release a 4K version with this score as an audio option.
By Bezulsqy
Marcello Aliprandi's 1974 Corruzione al palazzo di giustizia a.k.a. Smiling Maniacs
Score by Pino Donaggio
Starring Franco Nero

By EvanCampbell
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:46 am If any of you have an opportunity to see evil dead with the new score incorporated, RUN DONT WALK, I dug it as an album, faulty pressing notwithstanding, but integrated into the film is a revelation, absolutely stunning . I really hope they can find a way to release a 4K version with this score as an audio option.
Hatter313 I have no idea why I did not give this new score attention when it first came out. Just gave it a full listen on youtube and I will definitely be picking it up. Thanks for the reminder! Anybody on here own a solid red or green pressing of this....and how is the quality?
By Hatter313
EvanCampbell wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:19 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:46 am If any of you have an opportunity to see evil dead with the new score incorporated, RUN DONT WALK, I dug it as an album, faulty pressing notwithstanding, but integrated into the film is a revelation, absolutely stunning . I really hope they can find a way to release a 4K version with this score as an audio option.
Hatter313 I have no idea why I did not give this new score attention when it first came out. Just gave it a full listen on youtube and I will definitely be picking it up. Thanks for the reminder! Anybody on here own a solid red or green pressing of this....and how is the quality?

Avoid the first splatter pressing, one of the worst sounding records I’ve ever heard. I’m hoping the con exclusive will be better, but it’s also a pretty busy variant so we’ll see. Spencer said he’s hopeful that the studio will release the film with this as an audio option, so keep your eyes open for that, seeing it integrated into the film is incredible and visceral
By EvanCampbell
Yeah I have avoided all splatter pressing for years now....but wonder how the solid ones are from that run. Hopefully it will get a black repress soon.
By ScoJo
I have the green pressing and it's very nice, I give it a thumbs up.

I like the new version of the score as a listen, but must admit I didn't like the teaser clip-with-score video that DW posted at all - the score sounds too modern and impeccably/cleanly recorded (the title track is also eerily similar to the opening theme of Masters of Horror, and makes me think of that kind of contemporary horror when I listen) , seeing the clip it felt like having my memories of the movie raped (or at least fucked with in a non-pleasing way).

Happy that it worked for you however, @Hatterino! I imagine there was quite the buzz in the screening :) ED in 4k?? Bananas.
By EvanCampbell
Thanks ScoJo - It might have been the teaser that turned me off to it when it was originally released.
When I gave it a full listen I thought of it as a stand alone thing. The original is probably one of my favorites scores of all time and brings back the most feelies. So this would be a nice companion.
By Hatter313
Yeah man, I understand what you mean, it was a bit jarring at first, but after a few minutes it really came together for me. I will say if you ever check it out, the only part that really threw me was in the basement and end credits, we are SO cued tonhear that Charleston cut that when it’s a different original rag timey thing there was a moment of pause.

I have a 4K disc of the first one already, I hadn’t watched it yet since I soon realized I was going to Seeing it this weekend. I’m not sure if it’s this same transfer or if they did an all new one, but wow was it gorgeous

Edit: this was a brand new 4K scan that grindhouse did with Raimi for the theatrical presentation with the new sound mix. Presumably they’d have to convince lionsgate to do a disc since they own the home video distribution rights, but fingers crossed!
By ScoJo
EvanCampbell wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:00 pm Thanks ScoJo - It might have been the teaser that turned me off to it when it was originally released.
When I gave it a full listen I thought of it as a stand alone thing. The original is probably one of my favorites scores of all time and brings back the most feelies. So this would be a nice companion.
Oh yeah, I highly recommend getting a copy EC - even 50% just for the insanely wonderful Graham Humphreys artwork on the gatefold, where he seems fully possessed by the spirit of his former younger, maniacal self when first commissioned to do all that OG Evil Dead art. It's ridiculously in-keeping and you're guaranteed those ED feelies when you open up the sleeve ;)

Ps. The original music is very likely my own favourite too, certainly right up there - and I love everything about it, the sound, the tone of the low-fi recording, the chamber-style minimalist orchestrations (but each player really going for it!), the down-and-dirty synths, the goddam primitive skronky-wonkiness of it! Most likely ALL the things that the actual composer himself can't get past now when he hears it with his more sophisticated, experienced ears, propelling him into doing this project in the first place ;) And good for him. But I have to say - I'm eternally glad to have both a Blu of the original film and the glorious Varese LP.
By Hatter313
I’ll get that og LP one day. I spent a decent chunk just to get it on CD. And I’m with you on that GH Art, his work on the second one is my favorite ED arr bar none, full stop. Period. A UK quad came up for auction for a hot second but was waaaay too rich for my blood
By inksb
Make big budget horror movies they say, we will make them great they say. Well they just made the Marvel equivalent of a horror movie. Spend all of the budget on the cast and green screen 90% of the film. This was not good. I know folks threw a fit when the main stream media refused to call the first one horror, well you can't even call this one horror. There wasn't anything scary in it, well unless you find fast moving, skittery clowns/cg dogs/cg old ladies/cg leper. I wish I liked this film but as it is, it did nothing for me. The casting of adult Eddie and Richie was perfect, James Ransone & Bill Hader were perfect, the shining points of the entire film.
By Bezulsqy
Marcello Andrei's 1975 Il tempo degli assassini a.k.a. Season for Assassins
Great score by Albert Verrecchia
Starring Joe Dallesandro

By inksb

This film is an absolute blast. It's hilarious, has a handful of great gore gags, the acting is quite good and just overall fun experience. I won't go into the plot as I went in blind and feel like that will allow you to get the most enjoyment out of it. It is currently VOD, bluray at the end of October from RLJ in the US and Arrow in the UK. Buy it, rent it, stream it, watch it. It's worth your time and one of the better indies I've watched this year.
By Revolver_OcelScott
inksb wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:12 pm Image
Make big budget horror movies they say, we will make them great they say. Well they just made the Marvel equivalent of a horror movie. Spend all of the budget on the cast and green screen 90% of the film. This was not good. I know folks threw a fit when the main stream media refused to call the first one horror, well you can't even call this one horror. There wasn't anything scary in it, well unless you find fast moving, skittery clowns/cg dogs/cg old ladies/cg leper. I wish I liked this film but as it is, it did nothing for me. The casting of adult Eddie and Richie was perfect, James Ransone & Bill Hader were perfect, the shining points of the entire film.
I didn't really care for it either. Went to go see a double feature at the drive in. The first one I liked, it was fun, seeing it a second time it was still decent. The second one was a huge let down, no desire to see it again.
By Little Walter
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:55 am
inksb wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:12 pm Make big budget horror movies they say, we will make them great they say. Well they just made the Marvel equivalent of a horror movie. Spend all of the budget on the cast and green screen 90% of the film. This was not good. I know folks threw a fit when the main stream media refused to call the first one horror, well you can't even call this one horror. There wasn't anything scary in it, well unless you find fast moving, skittery clowns/cg dogs/cg old ladies/cg leper. I wish I liked this film but as it is, it did nothing for me. The casting of adult Eddie and Richie was perfect, James Ransone & Bill Hader were perfect, the shining points of the entire film.
I didn't really care for it either. Went to go see a double feature at the drive in. The first one I liked, it was fun, seeing it a second time it was still decent. The second one was a huge let down, no desire to see it again.
That same budget on practical effects could've changed the market. I found Part II very enjoyable since I went in expecting a comedy. Being stoned helped.

That Paul Bunyan scene had me on the floor. The hell was with the score though?
By ScoJo
Marianne.

French horror on Netflix. It's really bloody good, I'm on episode 6 of 8.

Has a definite Stephen King flavour in many ways, especially Salem's Lot (protagonist is succesful writer returning to small home town) and IT (childhood gang, reunite to face evil...) but it definitely has it's own flavour.

Lots of modern horror tropes and jump scares (lots of which really work!), but also good characters and more of a 'Haunting of Hill House' -style emphasis on slow burn, family, friendships and responsibility. And some quirky French humour etc.
By inksb
@scojo, that one sounds interesting, I'm going to have to check it out

Here are two films I was able to squeeze in yesterday.

I think it's been close to 10 years since I last watched Jacob's Ladder, I was wondering if it would hold up. It sure does, it's still fantastic. I love Tim Robbins in this and I completely forgot that Ving Rhames had a small role.

Tigers Are Not Afraid (Vuelven) is a film I've been hearing praise for about for 2 years. Well it finally released to Shudder this past week and I decided to see if it could live up to 2 years of festival hype. Honestly, it kind of did. It's a beautiful, haunting and incredibly sad film. It does not care if you are attached to characters or want a happy ending, there is only death and catharsis. The child actors were very good. I knew nothing going into the film about the plot and I'm glad I didn't. Highly recommend checking it out. The only downside I can see folks complain about would be some iffy CG (it is low budget) and some "interesting" choices in what they bring to life with the bad CG.
By NathanLurker
I saw Tigers are Not Afraid at the Fantasia Film Festival on 2018 and I would buy a blu ray if it comes out.
By inksb
NathanLurker wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:08 pm I saw Tigers are Not Afraid at the Fantasia Film Festival on 2018 and I would buy a blu ray if it comes out.
The wife and I keep talking about making the trip to Fantasia Film Festival, not sure it will ever happen but I'd love to actually attend someday
By Bezulsqy
Giuliano Carnimeo's 1973 Anna, quel particolare piacere
Score by Luciano Michelini (too sweet and too much of the same)
Starring Edwige Fenech

By Hatter313
Ad Astra, or as I’m calling it, Spacepocalypse Now: a Blade odyssey.

This was really something. I’m not sure if I thought it was great or just weird and compelling, but it’s gorgeous to look at with a lovely Max Richter score. Interesting choices throughout and slightly disjointed first act. I didn’t dislike anything but I also can’t say that I necessarily loved it, but it’s stayed with me all night.
By Bezulsqy
Camillo Bazzoni's 1972 Abuso di potere a.k.a. Shadows Unseen
Score by Riz Ortolani