A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:54 pm Watching Watcher!

I enjoyed that one.
Yes, I enjoyed it as well. Found it a bit slow in the beginning but I have the feeling that has been the trend for quite a while now. Not always a good thing however in this case it fitted.
By inksb
I started a handful of TV shows this past week.

Papergirls - I read the first 5 issues of this comic years ago when it came out and thought it would make pretty good tv show, they made one season and it was unfortunately cancelled but I still wanted to check it out. Enjoyed the first two episodes

Copenhagen Cowboys - Refn's new mini series on Netflix. Watched the premiere episode this weekend and boy is it a thing made by Refn. Kind of cool to see him return return to his home country for something, I think the last thing he did set in Denmark was Pusher 3. It's dark and depressing, glad it's not as overblown like the last show he did, this is 6 hour long episodes.

Inside No 9 - finally started the most recent season. Watched first two episodes, the second one was excellent with the teacher
By inksb

Terrifier 2 dir by Damien Leone

I did not care for the first Terrifier, it was mean spirited, exploitative and not very good story. I had zero intention of watching this based on that and it's 2.5 hour run time (why does a slasher film need to be that long??????) So I was listening to a podcast and one of the hosts who my tastes generally line up with put it on his best 10 of the year. He had same mentality about the first as me so I figured maybe I'll give it a go. T2 is substantially better than the first film, it's not a film I'll revisit in the future but I'm glad I checked it out. The effects work is amazing, there's one gag in particular I have no idea how they pulled it off. The film is way too long, there's a ton of long slow shots and one "kill" that goes on for way too long, lots of fancy effects gags but it made me feel uncomfortable with how drawn out it was. Everything about this is better than the first, it's shot better, written, acted, scored and effects work are all better. Any one who liked the first should check this out, if you enjoy seeing crazy effects gags you should watch it, if you're curious check it out but I can't say it's gonna change your mind if you hated the first and have no interest.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:27 pm Image

I did not care for the first Terrifier, it was mean spirited, exploitative and not very good story. I had zero intention of watching this based on that and it's 2.5 hour run time (why does a slasher film need to be that long??????) So I was listening to a podcast and one of the hosts who my tastes generally line up with put it on his best 10 of the year. He had same mentality about the first as me so I figured maybe I'll give it a go. T2 is substantially better than the first film, it's not a film I'll revisit in the future but I'm glad I checked it out. The effects work is amazing, there's one gag in particular I have no idea how they pulled it off. The film is way too long, there's a ton of long slow shots and one "kill" that goes on for way too long, lots of fancy effects gags but it made me feel uncomfortable with how drawn out it was. Everything about this is better than the first, it's shot better, written, acted, scored and effects work are all better. Any one who liked the first should check this out, if you enjoy seeing crazy effects gags you should watch it, if you're curious check it out but I can't say it's gonna change your mind if you hated the first and have no interest.
I watched Terrifier a couple of days ago because of all the praise the new one got. I am still not sure what to think...
WIll check out number 2.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:37 am
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:27 pm Image

I watched Terrifier a couple of days ago because of all the praise the new one got. I am still not sure what to think...
WIll check out number 2.
These are just too much for me. Guess I would have enjoyed them when younger when I was "testing my limits" at the time with stuff like Men Behind the Sun, Nekromantik (ok these are pretty serious flics), and all the Italian gorefests of the late 70ties and 80ties.
What just doesn't sit right with me is the combination of mean spirited, senseless kills and "goofy" fun, like this endlessly dragged out kill scene in part 2 (turned it off after that as I at least wanted to know what the fuss is all about, never watched part 1). So, very likely I am getting old and/or my tastes have changed but I fully understand the allure and will of course not blame anyone getting enjoyment out of these.
By inksb
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:18 pm
These are just too much for me. Guess I would have enjoyed them when younger when I was "testing my limits" at the time with stuff like Men Behind the Sun, Nekromantik (ok these are pretty serious flics), and all the Italian gorefests of the late 70ties and 80ties.
What just doesn't sit right with me is the combination of mean spirited, senseless kills and "goofy" fun, like this endlessly dragged out kill scene in part 2 (turned it off after that as I at least wanted to know what the fuss is all about, never watched part 1). So, very likely I am getting old and/or my tastes have changed but I fully understand the allure and will of course not blame anyone getting enjoyment out of these.
I completely agree with you. I love gore and the cool practical effects that come with it but there's always a point where it goes from cool effect to "was this neccessary?", that scene in T2 goes way too far and then after it goes too far they push it even farther. I guess the director is an effects guy which is why it is such a showcase for practical effects but man it doesn't need to be so mean spirited. Definitely don't bother with the first, it's even worse, this one at least had some bits of humor and the overall tone was lighter.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:31 pm
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:18 pm
I completely agree with you. I love gore and the cool practical effects that come with it but there's always a point where it goes from cool effect to "was this neccessary?", that scene in T2 goes way too far and then after it goes too far they push it even farther. I guess the director is an effects guy which is why it is such a showcase for practical effects but man it doesn't need to be so mean spirited. Definitely don't bother with the first, it's even worse, this one at least had some bits of humor and the overall tone was lighter.
no I do want to check out what all the fuss is about :-)

And you are really right about the first one. No sense of humor at all. Pretty nasty.
By Bezulsqy
This week I watched The Menu together with the family. Everyone loved it! Great score as well.
By The Cult Leader
Randomly paused it at the perfect moment and felt compelled to post it here.
20230131_204030.jpg
20230131_204030.jpg (430.63 KiB) Viewed 936 times
By inksb
I haven't seen Boogie Nights in years. I think I'm due for a rewatch.

This was last nights entertainment.

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:19 pm I haven't seen Boogie Nights in years. I think I'm due for a rewatch.

This was last nights entertainment.

haha
Love that poster!
By static14
I said forget it. I’m retired.
Attachments
C64C6847-8EB3-49E4-9FA9-A3B693D877F6.jpeg
C64C6847-8EB3-49E4-9FA9-A3B693D877F6.jpeg (222.69 KiB) Viewed 875 times
By Bezulsqy
^ how was it? I keep postponing a viewing...

Tonight we watched Identity (2003) with John Cusack and Ray Liotta. Not bad.

My girlfriend is of to bed and now I am watching this for the first time:

By inksb
Joining in on the Naschy fun this evening

PSX_20230204_184648.jpg
PSX_20230204_184648.jpg (215.56 KiB) Viewed 850 times
By inksb

Skinamarink dir by Kyle Edward Ball

This one was quite interesting. I had read nothing about it other than the supposed leak during it's festival run (which I think was bullshit, either it was on purpose or never really happened bc the site that frequent didn't have any downloads until it was released this past week). It's far more of an experimental art film than "spooky horror" but I appreciated what it was doing even if it caused it's 90 minute run time to feel like it's 3 hours. Definitely worth checking out and not looking anything up ahead of time.

Hiruko The Goblin dir by Shinya Tsukamoto

I fucking loved this one. It was so fun and goofy, lots of ridiculous effects. I have no idea why it took me so long to get to this one but I regret it.

Clerks III dir by Kevin Smith\

I shut this off after 50 minutes. Has Kevin Smith forgot how to be funny?

Poker Face has been really fun so far, recommend checking it out if you're a fan of Natasha Leyonne, Rian Johnson or entertaining "mystery" of the week.