A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
I’d probably go with Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (loved JR, the follow up was just not good) though I haven’t seen Rock of Ages or Far and Away.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:07 pm All excited after that insane M:I behind-the-bike-stunt promo. Fuck’s sake!

I started thinking about TC flicks that I’ve missed. So…

I watched The Mummy (2017). I’d heard a lot about how bad The Mummy (2017) is, but decided to try it. The Mummy (2017) pretty much sucks.

For the first 40mins I was thinking ‘ahh heck - it’s not good, but it’s got a loopy Lifeforce aspect that is close to enjoyable’. Well that feeling sadly wore off. Such a bummer really - the horribly missed chance of the whole Dark Universe thing, totally aborted with one stroke. And i realised this was Cruise’s first ‘proper’ horror movie, amazingly. (Interview/Vampire doesn’t count of course - being a gothic romance ;)

Right, quick pop quiz then: is this Cruise’s worst movie? He looks completely lost in it, in a way I don’t recall seeing him before. Even though he was horribly miscast in Interview, he owned the role and was fully engaged.

Bummer all round! Don’t bother with The Mummy (2017)!
Whats baffling to me is how much of American Werewolf in London is swipes.

Its probably one of the very few of his movies i don't care for. I'm lukewarm on that second Jack Reacher flick but i really love the first one for some reason. I'm a little iffy on that second MI as well, but not s much as i used to be. that might be it though, really generally love everything he's done on film.
By inksb
I'm not the biggest fan of MI 1 or 2. I think the series really found it's footing with 3. There are moments in both that I enjoy but I don't revisit them at all
By inksb

Violent Night
dir by Tommy Wirkola

So this is interesting, the film has generally positive reviews, I've seen a lot of 7/10 and praise across the board. Well I'm here to be a naysayer apparently, this film is awful, not in the so bad it has redeeming qualities but in the how did this get made and no one noticed it was this bad? kind of bad. I honestly don't think it would get nearly as much praise if David Harbour wasn't playing Santa, he is the best part by a very large margin. The actress from The Righteous Gemstones who plays the sister, is playing pretty much the exact same character here, she is mildly entertaining. John Leguizamo is chewing up his lines and spitting them out like he's in an entirely different film, his energy doesn't match any one else he's sharing the screen with. So many awful tropes, not a single character you will care about, a poorly implemented Home Alone trap section with some mildly funny gags, Santa bashing in a lot of peoples faces with a sledgehammer and one clever kill that involves a chimney. I recommend if you're interested in it then don't spend money on it, wait for streaming or find another way to watch it. I was bored for most of it's 111 minute runtime and the Mrs was even less impressed. Watch Christmas Bloody Christmas instead ;)
By zuko
ScoJo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:07 pm Right, quick pop quiz then: is this Cruise’s worst movie? He looks completely lost in it, in a way I don’t recall seeing him before. Even though he was horribly miscast in Interview, he owned the role and was fully engaged.
I’ve never seen Knight And Day, but have only heard bad things. The Mummy sucks. And that second Jack Reacher is pretty boring. Is that that the one that’ll where the final boss fight just ends with them sort of falling off a first floor balcony?
By ScoJo
zuko wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:33 pm
ScoJo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:07 pm Right, quick pop quiz then: is this Cruise’s worst movie? He looks completely lost in it, in a way I don’t recall seeing him before. Even though he was horribly miscast in Interview, he owned the role and was fully engaged.
I’ve never seen Knight And Day, but have only heard bad things. The Mummy sucks. And that second Jack Reacher is pretty boring. Is that that the one that’ll where the final boss fight just ends with them sort of falling off a first floor balcony?
Yeah that’s it. Very weak sauce - as I say, love the first one and didn’t have the same beef many had with casting famous short arse TC in the role (though I did also enjoy the recent series where they rebooted him with a towering lunk who apparently is closer to author Child’s description. I do recommend, it’s a very easy watch)

Knight and Day is in no way a high cinematic achievement, but it’s enjoyable silliness. I’ll watch anything by my guy Mangold.
By inksb
Some new arrivals. Hoping to make my way through a bunch of these this week
PSX_20221227_002447.jpg
PSX_20221227_002447.jpg (353.41 KiB) Viewed 884 times
By Bezulsqy
damn @inksb! Enjoy!

Another notch on my DePalma belt.
I believe it has been 30 years since I watched this... which is very strange as it is as giallo as they come. Funny to see another example of DePalma's split screen usage and the Body Double shower scene referencing the body double shower scene.

Now in 4K:

By inksb
Rewatching this morning. Hopefully checking out Glass Onion tonight or tomorrow.

By inksb

Burning Paradise dir by Ringo Lam

First time watch, the restoration from Vinegar Syndrome is quite impressive. The government has decided to kill all the Shaolin Monks, the story starts with young monk and his master on the run. They are captured and sent to prison. From here it's a story of betrayal and overcoming the evil warden (who also happens to have mystical powers). Lots of great fight choreography, quite bloody and some beautiful sets. I enjoyed the hell out of it and a movie I was pretty much unaware of from Lam.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:47 pm Rewatching this morning. Hopefully checking out Glass Onion tonight or tomorrow.

GO is pure fucking bliss, B. Enjoy!
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:33 pm
inksb wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:47 pm Rewatching this morning. Hopefully checking out Glass Onion tonight or tomorrow.

GO is pure fucking bliss, B. Enjoy!
That is good to know. Still need to watch it as well. Good idea for a family viewing.
By inksb

Bones and All dir by Luca Guadagnino

Some how this film completely flew under my radar, my brother told me he was going to see it a few weeks ago and I didn't know what he was talking about (he ended up not seeing it bc he went to the wrong theater lol). I started to see it pop up on some best of the year lists and decided to check it out. Didn't even realize it was the Suspiria remake director until after watching the film. I'm not gonna say much but it's easily one of the years best and a really great film, even Dune kid is pretty good here. It's 140 mins long and just moves at a pace fast enough you don't notice but it's not a quick pace by any means. Highly recommended every one check this out.

The Big 4 dir by Timo Tjahjanto

The best action film of '22??? I think so. Timo knows how to direct action and he shines here. Add to that equation that it's his most comical action film with lots of goofy and fun moments it's a recipe for success. All the characters are a pleasure to watch interact, the villain is absurdly villain like (little scorpions on all of his knives) and there are tons of huge action scenes filled with wildly violent and ridiculous shots. This should be on Netflix worldwide, everyone should check it out.

Pinocchio dir by Guillermo del Toro

A beautiful film that was slightly hindered by "typical" annoying young boy voice actor (who's over acting). Outside of that everything from the voice cast, set design, character design, puppets to the animation is just spectacular. I thought it was really fun and if you're a fan of stop motion or GDT then you should check it out. The design for the fairies/other worldly creatures were incredible, I loved the eyes on the horns and wings

White Noise dir by Noah Baumbach

I'm not sure how to feel about this one. It was well made, shot really well, acted really well and had an interesting enough story but something about it kept me at arms length the entire time. I just was never pulled in, at times it's all a bit too much from the characters being so annoying (there's a few of the college scenes that tested my patience) and the children were a bit much too. I know it's based on a book but have no idea how it aligns with it. Any one here read it? I'd be curious to hear how it stands in comparison.
By Bezulsqy
First time watch of The Babadook. I kept on postponing this one over and over. Not sure why. I have to say I really liked it. Genuinely scary at one point.

By Hatter313
Loved the green knight

Sort of baffled by the boards seeming dislike of Timothy Chalamet, I quite like him in everything I’ve seen him in but to each their own I suppose, loved him in dune, loved him in French dispatch, enjoyed him in the King, definitely want to check out bones and all for sure, looked interesting from the trailers I saw and Michael stuhlburg is one of those character scores that just VANISHES into a roll, same with Mark Rylance.

Recently done:
Glass onion, thought it was a lot of fun
Bullet Train, I enjoyed it.
The invitation, y’all can decline this one, not good.
Clerks III, if you’re still in for the ride you know what to expect, although I wasn’t ready for how poignant it ended up being.

The Menu- man am i upset I missed this in theaters, what an absolute blast of a film and I wish I’d seen it with a crowd. Absolutely HOWLED with laughter. I’d nominate Fiennes for it, the work he does with his face alone. What a treat of a movie.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:05 am Loved the green knight

Sort of baffled by the boards seeming dislike of Timothy Chalamet, I quite like him in everything I’ve seen him in but to each their own I suppose, loved him in dune, loved him in French dispatch, enjoyed him in the King, definitely want to check out bones and all for sure, looked interesting from the trailers I saw and Michael stuhlburg is one of those character scores that just VANISHES into a roll, same with Mark Rylance.

Recently done:
Glass onion, thought it was a lot of fun
Bullet Train, I enjoyed it.
The invitation, y’all can decline this one, not good.
Clerks III, if you’re still in for the ride you know what to expect, although I wasn’t ready for how poignant it ended up being.

The Menu- man am i upset I missed this in theaters, what an absolute blast of a film and I wish I’d seen it with a crowd. Absolutely HOWLED with laughter. I’d nominate Fiennes for it, the work he does with his face alone. What a treat of a movie.
I would assume most people's hate for Chalamet is the fact that his name is spelled Timothée, he either chose to change his name to be super pretentious & annoying or his parents gave it to him and he chose to keep it. Kidding aside I honestly have seen him in 3 movies, Dune, Bones & All and French Dispatch. French Dispatch I pretty much hated and he was in the worst segment, he was fine but not particularly good either? Dune, well I don't think it's anything against him but almost any one could have played that role if they can hold an emotionless face for extended periods of time. I've got nothing against him but outside of Bones & All I haven't seen him in anything that makes me excited to see him. So he's just another young pretty face. Give me a few more roles like Bones and I'll be excited to see him in just about anything though

I'll continue to piggy back off of your post since I've watched most of these as well.

Bullet Train. I almost shut off with in the first 20 minutes, it was aggressively obnoxious in a post Snatch early 00's Tarantino/Ritchie rip off way. But after they got all that stuff out of their system the rest of the film was quite enjoyable and fun. Great cast all around, the Twins were super fun. Playful action.

Glass Onion. I absolutely loved, not much to say outside of that, everyone should watch it especially if you enjoyed Knives Out. Dave Bautista killed it and he's easily the best wrestler turned actor out there (I know not hard to do but still)

The Menu. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this yet, Fiennes performance was stellar no denying that and a majority of the cast did a very good job. I just feel like the film was being pretentious about making fun of pretentiousness? I don't know. My friend has been bothering me to watch everyday for a week and ranting about how it's easily the best film he's seen all year (2022). I thought it was good, well made but didn't do anything for me at all. I think it's a must watch just not a film that resonates with me.

I need to see Clerks 3. I can't wait. Clerks 2 was so much better than it had any right to be and this one looks to be pretty good as well.
By NathanLurker
I like Timothée.

Glass Onion was great, I'd still rate it a little below Knives Out. But both are great.
By ScoJo
Chalalamalet…. blah blah…. charisma black hole…. blah blah…. pouty haircut of an actor….. etc etc etc…..

STATISTICS!!

;-)