A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:41 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:31 pm Image
You’re nose-deep in the DePalma trough now sir!
I have to say I found this pretty difficult to watch :-)
I split it over two days.
By inksb

Christmas Bloody Christmas dir by Joe Begos

I loved this, it's Christmas Terminator. Characters were well written, effects were top notch (axe to the face was impressive as fuck) and it's shot beautifully. With all that said it will not be for everyone. Joe Begos has a certain aesthetic that works really well for me but definitely not for others. It's on Shudder and it's only 87 minutes long so I recommend giving it a shot. The lead actress, Riley Dandy, was very good, supporting characters from Jeremy Gardener, Graham Skipper, Jeff Daniel Philips and Dora Madison were all fantastic.

The Leech dir by Eric Pennycoff

A very small film released by Arrow Films, starring Graham Skipper as a priest and Jeremy Gardener as a man that the priest takes in to help get on his feet and find god. Unfortunately for the priest it seems that the man he's trying to help is only there to take advantage of the priests good nature. I dont' want to go into much more information than that as it's a really great little film that focuses on 4 characters and fucked up shit some of them do to each other. Jeremy turns in a very fun and at times unhinged performance. Highly recommended and it's a christmas horror film so perfect time of the year to check it out.

Cursed dir by Wes Craven

This was a film I actively avoided when it was released due to all the negative reviews around it. Over the last few years I've seen a turn on it and people seem to say it's pretty good especially the unrated cut. Those people are wrong, very very wrong. This movie is horrendous, to the point that I can't believe that the team responsible for Scream made it, it makes Scream 3 seem like a masterclass in filmmaking. It has an interesting cast with Christina Ricci, Jesse Eiesenberg, Michael Rosenbaum (in what looks like the worst whig), Joshua Jackson (playing Joshua Jackson), Nick Offerman, Judy Greer and Shannon Elizabeth (in a small role). The CG is really atrocious in this film, worse than SyFy TV movies but the real offender is the script. It has some of the worst writing I've heard and Wes directed it like he was just taking 1st take every time. It's all around just an embarrassing film.
By NathanLurker
Phantom is very cool. I saw it in a theater a couple of years ago with my girlfriend, who had never seen it. She's a fan of Rocky Horror Picture show so I wanted to watch Phantom with her. We also had a movie night with friends to watch Little Shop of Horror. They're the big 3 for horror musicals. Are there any others besides those 3 and Sweeny Todd ? not sure.

--

the other day I was going through my old DVDs and Blu Rays and re-watched this, which I think I had only watched once :

I still think it's a great movie, well done minimalistic and experimental thriller. I find the concept of it to be something you could find in an anthology. Would you guys say it's Hitchcockian ? I love that you basically watch a movie where there's nothing much to see, but you're watching as if you're in the box with the character.
By ScoJo
NathanLurker wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:24 am I still think it's a great movie, well done minimalistic and experimental thriller. I find the concept of it to be something you could find in an anthology.
Funny you should say that - I can't recommend enough tracking down the short story 'Where There's a Will" by Richard Matheson and Richard Christian Matheson. The less said the better, but it 's exactly what you're after, and has one of the all-time great horror gut-punch twist endings. It was in (Stephen King agent) Kirby McCauley's 1980 anthology Dark Forces, which is an amazing collection all round - it's where King's The Mist first appeared.
By NathanLurker
ScoJo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:13 am
NathanLurker wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:24 am I still think it's a great movie, well done minimalistic and experimental thriller. I find the concept of it to be something you could find in an anthology.
Funny you should say that - I can't recommend enough tracking down the short story 'Where There's a Will" by Richard Matheson and Richard Christian Matheson. The less said the better, but it 's exactly what you're after, and has one of the all-time great horror gut-punch twist endings. It was in (Stephen King agent) Kirby McCauley's 1980 anthology Dark Forces, which is an amazing collection all round - it's where King's The Mist first appeared.
Very interested in this, as I was thinking of reading more. I miss reading. I'll look into tracking down that anthology, or alternatively just the short story. Thanks
By inksb
My wife's parents always send us a check for the holidays even though we have continued to tell them not to. So I used that money to buy myself a nice gift

Can't wait to dive into the set
PSX_20221215_141357.jpg
PSX_20221215_141357.jpg (326.57 KiB) Viewed 822 times
By inksb

The Fire Place [Adult Swim Yule Log] dir by Casper Kelly

So the director of Adult Swim's Too Many Cooks (a 10 minute short that was a huge deal years ago) and the Cheddar Goblin commercial in Mandy, has snuck a weird and wild horror movie into Adult Swim's Yule Log. Apparently after the Rick & Morty season premiere this weekend they put up this Yule Log and after a few minutes people who stuck around realized this wasn't just a regular fireplace video. It's a horror film with elements home invasion, back woods hillbillies, slasher, ghost story and twin peaks all rolled into one 90 minute ball. It's very low budget with ok acting but it's such a weird and confusing treat to watch. It is currently on HBO Max and I recommend any one looking for something a little different this holiday season to give this one a watch, I laughed quite a bit and just had a fun time with it.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:14 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:50 am Image
Love to see it!
Seconded, obviously
By Bezulsqy
^ loved that one! Was my first time... I believe I have watched 15 DePalma movies this year!

This afternoon and evening me and my girlfriend watched:
Bombshell (2019)
There Will be Blood
Phantom Thread

She went of to bed so I can finish with some horror and more beer...

By inksb

Cobra dir by George P. Cosmatos

This is Stallone's best film right? It's been a little bit since I've watched Cobra, which I love and it seems to just get better and better every time I watch it.

Black Christmas dir Sophia Takal

So this one seemed to be pretty hated when it came out, lots of criticism about it being "woke" and other dumb shit. I'm not the biggest fan of the original so I wasn't in any rush to watch it but when looking for some holiday horror to watch this weekend I decided to check it out. I'll say I don't think it deserved the hate, it's not a great film but it's decently made and it seems like it would do well with the teenage to twenty year old market. The thing I found funny is the "woke" thing, the film deals with a girl who was raped by a guy at a fraternity, this isn't new this happens all the time, I saw it happen while I was in college almost 20 years ago. Sure there's some dialog towards the end that's cringey due to "men have all the power" but it's not untrue it's just poorly delivered. I think the films biggest problem is that they chose to not really show any gore and the final reveal of who the killer is didn't really work for me but whatever. I say if you're curious check it out, it's not as bad as everyone made it out to be but don't expect it to be amazing either.

Side note: I hate when a posters tagline is larger than the title of the film. It's confusing to most people and just bad design.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:20 pm Image

Cobra dir by George P. Cosmatos
This is Stallone's best film right? It's been a little bit since I've watched Cobra, which I love and it seems to just get better and better every time I watch it.
✂️🍕
By ChrisMcQueen007
Same procedure as last year - this time in 4K.
Attachments
92EEAF83-E053-4A21-B9E5-B52A3AB853C4.jpeg
92EEAF83-E053-4A21-B9E5-B52A3AB853C4.jpeg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 727 times
By Bezulsqy
Edoardo Mulargia's 1974 Al Tropico del Cancro a.k.a. Tropic of Cancer
great score from Piero Umiliani. I believe some bits of score from other movies were used. Sounded very familiar.

By ScoJo
All excited after that insane M:I behind-the-bike-stunt promo. Fuck’s sake!

I started thinking about TC flicks that I’ve missed. So…

I watched The Mummy (2017). I’d heard a lot about how bad The Mummy (2017) is, but decided to try it. The Mummy (2017) pretty much sucks.

For the first 40mins I was thinking ‘ahh heck - it’s not good, but it’s got a loopy Lifeforce aspect that is close to enjoyable’. Well that feeling sadly wore off. Such a bummer really - the horribly missed chance of the whole Dark Universe thing, totally aborted with one stroke. And i realised this was Cruise’s first ‘proper’ horror movie, amazingly. (Interview/Vampire doesn’t count of course - being a gothic romance ;)

Right, quick pop quiz then: is this Cruise’s worst movie? He looks completely lost in it, in a way I don’t recall seeing him before. Even though he was horribly miscast in Interview, he owned the role and was fully engaged.

Bummer all round! Don’t bother with The Mummy (2017)!
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:07 pm All excited after that insane M:I behind-the-bike-stunt promo. Fuck’s sake!

I started thinking about TC flicks that I’ve missed. So…

I watched The Mummy (2017). I’d heard a lot about how bad The Mummy (2017) is, but decided to try it. The Mummy (2017) pretty much sucks.

For the first 40mins I was thinking ‘ahh heck - it’s not good, but it’s got a loopy Lifeforce aspect that is close to enjoyable’. Well that feeling sadly wore off. Such a bummer really - the horribly missed chance of the whole Dark Universe thing, totally aborted with one stroke. And i realised this was Cruise’s first ‘proper’ horror movie, amazingly. (Interview/Vampire doesn’t count of course - being a gothic romance ;)

Right, quick pop quiz then: is this Cruise’s worst movie? He looks completely lost in it, in a way I don’t recall seeing him before. Even though he was horribly miscast in Interview, he owned the role and was fully engaged.

Bummer all round! Don’t bother with The Mummy (2017)!
I didn't even know there was a Mummy 2017... let alone with TC...
If this is his worst movie, what is the second worse one?
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:34 pm I didn't even know there was a Mummy 2017... let alone with TC...
If this is his worst movie, what is the second worse one?
Top Gun