A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:13 pm 17. Knock Off (1998)

I do not know what to say... But I want that song that is used in the credits on a 12". When looking for it on youtube one of the comments under that video says it best:
The movie goes from stupid to genius once you understand it's actually made to be a knock-off of the HK action movies.

At first I was thinking that one needs to be under the influence of a substance or 12 years old to enjoy this movie. But the action sequences are insane. And the cheese is totally different than in Double Impact.
It is a must see JCVD for sure.

I have no idea where to put this. In the beginning I was really thinking to put this in the one to last spot. Moments later it went up another spot. And by the end is to different and great to be put together with the bunch.

1. Timecop
2. Hard Target
3. Bloodsport
4. Cyborg
5. Nowhere to Run
6. Maximum Risk
7. Knock Off

8. Lionheart
8. Kickboxer
8. No Retreat, No Surrender
8. Death Warrant
8. Double Impact (of course everyone should see this one, same as Cyborg)
8. Sudden Death
8. The Quest
8. Double Team

9. Black Eagle
10. Street Fighter

And finally I have a top ten!!!!
By Bezulsqy
19. Inferno (1999)

This went all over the place. I didn't like it at the start but then it made me laugh and a bit later I got bored and thought how moronic is this... What would this cast think after seeing the result or the first time?

Does this fit in the it's so bad it's good category? I don't know. I am placing it near the bottom. And I am taking Black Eagle out of the list because that is not a bad movie but as far as JCVD is concerned Inferno is still fun but as far as movies go way worse than Black Eagle. If this makes sense.

1. Timecop
2. Hard Target
3. Bloodsport
4. Cyborg
5. Nowhere to Run
6. Maximum Risk
7. Legionnaire
8. Knock Off

9. Lionheart
9. Kickboxer
9. No Retreat, No Surrender
9. Death Warrant
9. Double Impact (of course everyone should see this one, same as Cyborg)
9. Sudden Death
9. The Quest
9. Double Team

10. Inferno (it is near the bottom but if you feel a bit silly do watch this one)
11. Street Fighter

Black Eagle - might put it back in, but my head is spinning because of Inferno....
By Mateo Sanboval
Much to my surprise, I had to look this one up. Only to realise that Inferno is aka Desert Heat. My faded memory of this one is that it is a a bit forgettable, but none the less enjoyable, of a watch helped along by a good cast of character actors.
By static14
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:43 pm 18. Legionnaire (1998)

This was very entertaining. I really liked it. Do I like it more than Maximum Risk...It is very close though.

All in all I had a very enjoyable and surprising JCVD afternoon.

1. Timecop
2. Hard Target
3. Bloodsport
4. Cyborg
5. Nowhere to Run
6. Maximum Risk
7. Legionnaire
8. Knock Off

9. Lionheart
9. Kickboxer
9. No Retreat, No Surrender
9. Death Warrant
9. Double Impact (of course everyone should see this one, same as Cyborg)
9. Sudden Death
9. The Quest
9. Double Team

10. Black Eagle
11. Street Fighter
Told you not to skip out on this one! :)
By CrossedPete
Watching the RoboCop remake right now. It’s been a while for me (I think I just watched it once before on a plane). I think it’s one of the better remake/retelling of a classic movie. I totally forgot how many great actors are in this movie. I completely forgot that Gary Oldman was in it. Is there a better Character actor alive?
By Bezulsqy
@Static: you were definitely right! Today I hope to watch another two and tomorrow maybe 1. At that rate I hope to have seen them all in another 6 weeks... I am going to open a special bottle of beer when I finish this challenge.

Also I hope I will be able to do the splits!
By Bezulsqy
20. Replicant (2001)

JCVD keeps surprising, I found it very hard to watch in the beginning because of the submissive role he played. It felt JCVD unworthy. Some serious JCVD acting though! I disagree however with a review on iMDB:
To start with,don't be put off by the initial fact that this re-teams the Muscles from Brussells with HK director Ringo Lam,with whom he also made the rather poor Maximum Risk,Replicant is in an altogether different ball game.An original,inventive and intriguing flick,which works on nearly all the levels it sets out to.The two Van Dammes thing is admittently getting a little tiresome,but it really does give the Belgian one ample opportunity to show off his neurtured acting skills here,playing dual roles as both the good guy and the bad guy,and really getting into the emotions of each.The dialogue's a little tacky and the build-up's somewhat sprewed,but you get all you expected and even a little more.
I prefer Maximum Risk to this one. I simply enjoyed it more. And Replicant indeed is completely different. However, the more I am thinking about this as I am typing my thoughts go all over the place. I believe most of movies can be very enjoyable depending on your own mood.

@Mateo: I am curious to see where you class this one. And I believe this has been taped in Seattle. (edit: iMDB doesn't mention US locations but mainly Vancouver. I simply noticed them going in a hotel called Seattle ... hotel)

1. Timecop
2. Hard Target
3. Bloodsport
4. Cyborg
5. Nowhere to Run
6. Maximum Risk
7. Legionnaire
8. Replicant
9. Knock Off

10. Lionheart
10. Kickboxer
10. No Retreat, No Surrender
10. Death Warrant
10. Double Impact (of course everyone should see this one, same as Cyborg)
10. Sudden Death
10. The Quest
10. Double Team

11. Inferno (it is near the bottom but if you feel a bit silly do watch this one)
12. Street Fighter

Black Eagle - might put it back in, but my head is spinning because of Inferno....
By Bezulsqy
21. The Order (2001)

Charlton Heston? Score by Pino Donaggio? I enjoyed this but don't need to see it ever again.

11. Inferno (it is near the bottom but if you feel a bit silly do watch this one)
12. The Order
13. Street Fighter
By Mateo Sanboval
You know what I disagree with about that review, Brother Bez? The notion that two Van Dammes is getting "kind of tiring". Horse pucky!

Also, I believe you are correct that Replicant was filmed in Hollywood North (aka The Couve). As for the film itself, I'm mildly embarrassed to say that I don't remember this one very well and will have to revisit. Based upon the year of its release, I'd say the house money is on there being a sizeable amount of jazz cabbage involved in my screening.

The Order is harmless and inoffensive, but not worth a revisit. I agree that it is definitely toward the bottom at this point.
By Bezulsqy
^ I am with you on the double JCVD action: that does never get tiresome.

22. Derailed (2002)

I don't think it was a good idea to watch three JCVD flicks from the early 2000s in one day... At least this was starring Rita from Mulholland Drive. Street Fighter was bad but this was bullshit.

12. The Order
13. Street Fighter
14. Derailed
By Mateo Sanboval
"I don't think it was a good idea to watch three JCVD flicks from the early 2000s in one day..."

Truer words were never spoken. Burnout with an exercise like this is the maximum risk. Especially since the real highs are fewer and farther between now, the middle tends to bloat and blur a bit with the lows in places. Bring your compass, stay hydrated, and if you get lost, just blow on the bright orange whitle we gave you.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:34 pm "I don't think it was a good idea to watch three JCVD flicks from the early 2000s in one day..."

Truer words were never spoken. Burnout with an exercise like this is the maximum risk. Especially since the real highs are fewer and farther between now, the middle tends to bloat and blur a bit with the lows in places. Bring your compass, stay hydrated, and if you get lost, just blow on the bright orange whitle we gave you.
This thread and Bez‘ JCVD challenge is immensely entertaining.
By inksb
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:30 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:34 pm "I don't think it was a good idea to watch three JCVD flicks from the early 2000s in one day..."

This thread and Bez‘ JCVD challenge is immensely entertaining.
It really is. I look forward to all of Bez' updates. It's also spurred me to rewatch some that I haven't seen in 2 decades and others that I just skipped because I assumed they were shite.
By ScoJo
As Bez gets deeper and deeper into the JCVD straight-to-vid content, I'm starting to relax a bit and feel more confident that the likelihood of one of these flicks laying seige to a top slot is getting very remote - and therefore, Nowhere to Run is looking more secure in it's No.5 position yaaaaay!!
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:39 pm As Bez gets deeper and deeper into the JCVD straight-to-vid content, I'm starting to relax a bit and feel more confident that the likelihood of one of these flicks laying seige to a top slot is getting very remote - and therefore, Nowhere to Run is looking more secure in it's No.5 position yaaaaay!!
I doubt Day of Reckoning will take the top slot but it has a chance to knock something out of the top 10. Also JCVD could slot high too, I haven't seen it since it's original release but I remember it being quite good. Curious to see where The Bouncer/Lukas falls as well, one I haven't seen yet but remember seeing quite a bit of praise for it.

His top 10 is very solid but I am curious to see there are any curveballs left in the lineup for him
By ScoJo
Fuck. I'd forgotten that JCVD is as yet unaccounted for. Sheeeeeiiiiiiit.
By Bezulsqy

A good night sleep did the trick to clear my head and start a new day of JCVD! Thank you all for the encouragements!

@ScoJo: 6 more to go before I hit JCVD!
By Bezulsqy
I passed the half-way point!

23. In Hell (2003)

This was the most bleak and brutal JCVD action so far. Start was very good but 2nd quarter I didn't really love but then it picked up again. There was zero comedy in this one. I found it very dark. It is not top tier for me but it is worth a watch for sure. This is a difficult one to place. It could be the new number 6. But also even 4. Thinking back about why I placed Cyborg at 4... that movie is so insane. Nowhere to Run is an excellent movie. Okay, I am placing this at 7. I enjoyed Maximum Risk more. In Hell is simply put not a fun movie but is shows JCVD in some very different light and because of that it deserves a top 10 spot.

1. Timecop
2. Hard Target
3. Bloodsport
4. Cyborg
5. Nowhere to Run
6. Maximum Risk
7. In Hell
8. Legionnaire
9. Replicant
10. Knock Off
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:55 am

A good night sleep did the trick to clear my head and start a new day of JCVD! Thank you all for the encouragements!

@ScoJo: 6 more to go before I hit JCVD!
By Bezulsqy
24. Wake of Death (2004)

I appeared to have a cut version. Some Germans thought cuts were necessary because of glorified violence...
Luckily I quickly found an uncut version.

JCVD has only one look in this movie: pissed off. At first I didn't think I would like this one. There is clearly a difference in the first 20 movies and these last couple I watched. Less humour for instance. In this one there was much more shooting than fighting going on. Halfway through Wake of Death I was sure this had to go with the big bunch of JCVD-variants, however I do believe this is just a bit better.

I have still 5 more movies to go before I enter the 2010's (not counting the Universal Soldier ones) and I am wondering in what way the different era's influence my scoring. I love the early stuff because of the characters and the fun those movies exude, but I think I am also going to like the more modern style of movie making as long as there is not a lot of CGI. I am not sure if I can correctly convey my thoughts about that. It has to do with a lesser attraction to the more cynical type of modern action movies. Those old flicks had some sort of romance to it.

1. Timecop
2. Hard Target
3. Bloodsport
4. Cyborg
5. Nowhere to Run
6. Maximum Risk
7. In Hell
8. Legionnaire
9. Replicant
10. Knock Off
11. Wake of Death
By Mateo Sanboval
Bez, this is all very exciting. I had earmarked these two as favorites that I hoped you'd enjoy. Bleak is the perfect word for In Hell and Wake Of Death. I like In Hell quite a bit, especially the grappling and ground fighting sequences, and it feels like a truly foreign picture to me. As you say, gone are the romance and bravado of the late era blockbuster JCVD. And that's where Wake of Death comes in. I really enjoy this movie. It's so clean and streamlined. Van Damme is just an violent machine here. It's another big departure, relatively speaking, from his usual on-screen persona. DTV double headers don't get much better than this. Have yourself a day, Bez!
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CrossedPete
I got to up my JCVD game, two movies I’ve never heard about. @Bez I like your doing all the heavy lifting and I can swoop in and pick and choose based on your reviews :) keep it up good sir.
By Bezulsqy
25. Second in Command (2006)

This one we all can forget. Not bad as such but nothing special either. Now I am done for a couple of days. Maybe Sunday afternoon another one. Next week hopefully I get to fit in another 4 or 5...

@Mateo, it is very good to get to know movies like In Hell and Wake of Death. When I have finished watching them all I will see if there needs to be some re-arranging based on which titles linger in my memory.

The full list as is stands now (I put Black Eagle back):

1. Timecop
2. Hard Target
3. Bloodsport
4. Cyborg
5. Nowhere to Run
6. Maximum Risk
7. In Hell
8. Legionnaire
9. Replicant
10. Knock Off
11. Wake of Death

12. Lionheart
12. Kickboxer
12. No Retreat, No Surrender
12. Death Warrant
12. Double Impact (of course everyone should see this one, same as Cyborg)
12. Sudden Death
12. The Quest
12. Double Team

20. Black Eagle
21. Inferno (it is near the bottom but if you feel a bit silly do watch this one)

22. The Order
22. Second in Command

24. Street Fighter
25. Derailed