A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
I've been meaning to revisit Lady Vengeance. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.
By Bezulsqy
Halfway through I am thinking this is the best Batman movie ever. Last hour: why is it so long…
Really loved the atmosphere. Grungy. Dark. Also really loved the score. Although it felt too repetitive during the final hour.
Very happy to have seen it in a cinema.
Loved the Batmobile! First appearance of it and scene that followed had me grinning.
Also liked how all the characters we all know were thrown in the mix.
Attachments
FD5A6EE5-CBD8-4BBF-A879-8DAB73901033.jpeg
FD5A6EE5-CBD8-4BBF-A879-8DAB73901033.jpeg (541.94 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
By ScoJo
Good to hear you enjoyed it Bez.

We are convening an emergency session of the Tony&Scott pod next week, so that TG can rave and I can take a giant shit on it 😂

(not really, but... kinda?)
By vinyljunkie
yeah, the introduction/reveal of the Batmobile was probably my favorite scene of the entire film, holy Dolby sound design! Total Carpenter "Christine" vibes...and yeah, the score is AMAZING, must be heard in Dolby Atmos!!! But yeah, run-time could have been at least 30 mins shorter...
By inksb
My friend was begging me to go see it this weekend. I told him that I have zero interest in seeing a 3 hour Batman movie in the theaters. I'll wait til I can watch it at home and pause it 14 times.
By inksb

Turning Red dir by Domee Shi

This was wonderful. In the last decade I've become less and less interested in Pixar films, I've only seen a handful of them, Brave, Coco, Inside Out and Soul. I skipped all of the sequels, Onward and Luca. I'm sure I'm missing some good films in there but none of it looked all that interesting to me. They knocked it out of the park with this one though. Animation is amazing, characters were fun and the film had a great message. Highly recommend it.

The Seed dir by Sam Walker

I know it's our current landscape but I fucking hate when modern films use stuff like influencers and social media as main plot point or character. This film leans right into that with their tongue so firmly planted in their cheek it feels like it's going to burst through. The characters are incredibly annoying due to this. But the film does actually do some fun stuff that may be worth it for some to sit through that. Basic premise is 3 old friends get together for a girls weekend at one of the girls father's vacation house in the desert which is a multi million dollar home complete with a green lawn in the middle of the desert. They are watching a once in a lifetime meteor shower and something crashes into the pool. It's a little weird creature and typical stuff ensues. The best part of the film is that the filmmaker loves Society and he made his own little shunting scene. It was amazing and worth wading through the rest of the film to witness. The whole film I wanted to say the actresses were bad but I don't actually think they were, I think they were told to act in that way to make everything feel extra fake since that was what they were criticizing about people of today. It was an ok film to watch when you're bored and want to waste 90 minutes.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:56 pm Image

Turning Red dir by Domee Shi

This was wonderful. In the last decade I've become less and less interested in Pixar films, I've only seen a handful of them, Brave, Coco, Inside Out and Soul. I skipped all of the sequels, Onward and Luca. I'm sure I'm missing some good films in there but none of it looked all that interesting to me. They knocked it out of the park with this one though. Animation is amazing, characters were fun and the film had a great message. Highly recommend it.

The Seed dir by Sam Walker

I know it's our current landscape but I fucking hate when modern films use stuff like influencers and social media as main plot point or character. This film leans right into that with their tongue so firmly planted in their cheek it feels like it's going to burst through. The characters are incredibly annoying due to this. But the film does actually do some fun stuff that may be worth it for some to sit through that. Basic premise is 3 old friends get together for a girls weekend at one of the girls father's vacation house in the desert which is a multi million dollar home complete with a green lawn in the middle of the desert. They are watching a once in a lifetime meteor shower and something crashes into the pool. It's a little weird creature and typical stuff ensues. The best part of the film is that the filmmaker loves Society and he made his own little shunting scene. It was amazing and worth wading through the rest of the film to witness. The whole film I wanted to say the actresses were bad but I don't actually think they were, I think they were told to act in that way to make everything feel extra fake since that was what they were criticizing about people of today. It was an ok film to watch when you're bored and want to waste 90 minutes.
Watched Turning Red just now with my girlfriend. Very funny. Wonderful indeed.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Fully agree, Bez - Sicario is excellent.

I’m now watching this minor classic, still holding up / fun (one can‘t go wrong with Robert Forster).
Attachments
69EFF521-9237-4AFE-A255-8DC5CAFC2F77.jpeg
69EFF521-9237-4AFE-A255-8DC5CAFC2F77.jpeg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 1850 times
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:18 pm first watch. fantastic movie and terrific score

Sicario 2 is much better than they say, a worthwhile watch imo
By zuko
I’m only halfway through Turning Red because my kids wanted to ditch it, but I really liked it! The animation is great and reminded me a lot of the Aardman style. There’ was a bit where the mum tucks in her bottom lip that’s pure Wallace.
By inksb

X dir by Ti West

My first time actually seeing a Ti West film on the big screen. I love that he has finally returned to directing features again, he's spent the last 7 years doing TV. While this film won't be for everyone, my friend definitely did not like it nearly as much as I did, I thought it was a fantastic film. Beautifully shot, good tension, entertaining cast, excellent sound design and a fun premise. Weirdly enough this felt like the least 'A24' film released by A24. I highly recommend you checking it out either theatrically or when it hits streaming services.

The World's End dir by Edgar Wright

I haven't watched this in a while, was craving something a little more on the fun side. Even though the actual message of the film is not "fun or lighthearted" it's at least a more entertaining delivery. I feel like we all have or had a friend like Gary King.
By inksb

Extra Ordinary dir by Enda Loughman & Michael Ahern

This was a very fun little horror comedy. Basic premise is the main character's father was a ghost hunter/television personality, she was his partner as a child but something went wrong and he's dead because of it. She currently is a driving instructor. Some one reaches out as their house is being haunted by their dead wife. Meanwhile a washed up musician is looking to make a deal with a demon so he can be rich & famous again, so he is looking for a virgin to sacrifice on the bloodmoon. That just happens to be this guys daughter. It's a very funny movie and I had a blast watching the stupidity unfold. Also Ectoplasm is gross.

Midnight dir by Kwon Oh-seung

This is a fantastic thriller, I don't want to say much about it but I was on the edge of my seat for most of the film and it even brought some tears to my eyes at one particular moment. Excellent and is a must watch if you like Korean thrillers.

Wizards dir by Ralph Bakshi

It's been a good 15+ years since I last watched this. It's still a visual treat. Soundtrack is great, I wish the pressing wasn't so expensive. It's a little too long like most of Bakshi's films but it was fun to revisit and introduce my wife to the wonderful world of rotoscoped films. We are going to watch Fire & Ice soon as well as Heavy Metal (which she's seen but doesn't remember?)
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:18 pm Image

Extra Ordinary dir by Enda Loughman & Michael Ahern

This was a very fun little horror comedy. Basic premise is the main character's father was a ghost hunter/television personality, she was his partner as a child but something went wrong and he's dead because of it. She currently is a driving instructor. Some one reaches out as their house is being haunted by their dead wife. Meanwhile a washed up musician is looking to make a deal with a demon so he can be rich & famous again, so he is looking for a virgin to sacrifice on the bloodmoon. That just happens to be this guys daughter. It's a very funny movie and I had a blast watching the stupidity unfold. Also Ectoplasm is gross.

Midnight dir by Kwon Oh-seung

This is a fantastic thriller, I don't want to say much about it but I was on the edge of my seat for most of the film and it even brought some tears to my eyes at one particular moment. Excellent and is a must watch if you like Korean thrillers.

Wizards dir by Ralph Bakshi

It's been a good 15+ years since I last watched this. It's still a visual treat. Soundtrack is great, I wish the pressing wasn't so expensive. It's a little too long like most of Bakshi's films but it was fun to revisit and introduce my wife to the wonderful world of rotoscoped films. We are going to watch Fire & Ice soon as well as Heavy Metal (which she's seen but doesn't remember?)
Thanks @Inskb
Midnight sounds very interesting! Will check it out.
I have had a lot of stuff going on that took/takes away all my movie watching and music playing time...
By inksb

The French Dispatch dir by Wes Anderson

Well this film was bad. I haven't been this bored watching a film in a really long time. It starts out strong, I liked the opening "wrap around" segment with the publication house. Then the first story was quite entertaining but then comes the middle segment that was so boring, so awful and such a complete waste of time that I'm unsure if the third is really bad as well or if the previous segment tainted it for me. I'm not really counting Owen's segment as a real segment as it just seemed like a buffer more than anything. A lot of wasted talent here, blink and you'll miss it cameos and roles that have 2-3 lines of dialog. I don't love Anderson as a director but I usually enjoy his films to some extent, this one a complete dud. Skip it.

Shaolin Mantis dir by Lau Kar Leung

I had never seen this one before but I blindly picked it up because it's classic Shaw Brother's era on blu so why not? It was very enjoyable, fun characters, nice bits of humor and lots of fight scenes but the 3rd act is spectacular. Starting at the discovery and creation of the "mantis style" through the final epic fights for revenge, it's just a blast. Seriously though the mantis training sequence was incredible.
By Hatter313
couldn't disagree more on French Dispatch, I'd love him to another one of these every few films, I thought each sequence was better than the last and adored all the homage to that sort of new yorkeresque writing and attitude. not for everyone but definitely for me.

What i love about this place is the wide taste, Some of you were lukewarm on Dune or The Batman and i couldn't have possibly loved them more and have gone multiple times. Some of you raved about Aster or Flanagan and I couldn't be more bored by either of them.

Just watched Licorice Pizza last night. if you like sort of meandering movies with little point but lots of character moments and a pseudo hollywood setting as the back drop, then it may be for you. i liked it quite a bit.
By inksb
Yeah, I'm in the minority on French Dispatch, it's reviewed quite favorably I believe. I think maybe the second segment could have worked better if it was shorter by about half it's length. And getting rid of Dune kid, he had zero screen presence for me and that's coming from some one who thought he was just fine in Dune. Also for some one who prides himself on all his color schemes, it was quite surprising to see him use b&w for a majority of the film.

I completely agree about the wide taste around here, it makes for very enjoyable time. Although I can't remember any of us raving about Flanagan, I feel like most of us think he's overrated ;)

I'm very excited to check out Licorice Pizza, I find I'm most interested in PTA's 70's era films. I'm a massive Inherent Vice fan.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:50 pm Yeah, I'm in the minority on French Dispatch, it's reviewed quite favorably I believe. I think maybe the second segment could have worked better if it was shorter by about half it's length. And getting rid of Dune kid, he had zero screen presence for me and that's coming from some one who thought he was just fine in Dune. Also for some one who prides himself on all his color schemes, it was quite surprising to see him use b&w for a majority of the film.

I completely agree about the wide taste around here, it makes for very enjoyable time. Although I can't remember any of us raving about Flanagan, I feel like most of us think he's overrated ;)

I'm very excited to check out Licorice Pizza, I find I'm most interested in PTA's 70's era films. I'm a massive Inherent Vice fan.
100% on PTAs 70s set stuff, if you like that you'll dig LP. I haven't seen inherent vice since the theater but loved it then. Pynchon is on my to red list a lot these days and I may read that and then rewatch the flick soon.

Interesting about Timothy Chalamet, I happen to really like him a lot in everything i've seen him in, but i've encountered some VISCERAL reactions to him as well. I know ScoJo doesn't care for him in the least.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:45 am Nonsense. He is peerless in my eyes.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BvWefB4NGGI
Ok well maybe not everything I’ve seen him in…although I’m personally quite glad that I was in high school before YouTube projects were a thing. I’ll give him a pass for this.