A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
I have been watching more movies than spinning records recently. I think I am going to change that this week.

A short recap of some stuff I watched:

- Murder On the Orient Express (2017). This was enjoyable. Simple fun with a lot of big names starring. I watched the 1974 version not too long ago and that one was better.
- All the Money in the World (2017). Very disappointing. Could have been so much better. We couldn't feel any sympathy with the characters.
- The Dry (2021). Starring Eric Bana. This was actually not bad. Until the end. That ruined the whole movie. It felt as such a caricature.
- Deepstar Six (1989). I liked this one a lot. Great simple eighties scifi horror fun.
- Nightmare Alley (2021). I was disappointed with this one. I probably would have loved it more if I hadn't seen the original two weeks ago. That one was really good. This one looked fantastic. Some reviewers say the acting was great, but I was constantly comparing everything with the original and that took me out of big parts.
- No Time to Die (2021). After hearing not a lot of great things about this last Bond I wasn't expecting much. But I liked it. Enjoyed it more than Nightmare Alley and both were around 150 minutes long.

Maybe it is because winter or the amount of black and white movies I have seen recently that I craving some more easier and entertaining fare to watch. Probably the Ghostbusters from 2016 and 2021. Or a decent Marvel picture.
Or some John Wick type of stuff.
@inksb: what was that action movie you watched a month or 3 ago on Netflix I think that you said was simple but good fun if you like the John Wick type of stuff?
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:13 am @inksb: what was that action movie you watched a month or 3 ago on Netflix I think that you said was simple but good fun if you like the John Wick type of stuff?
Nobody. Or could have been another one too haha.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:28 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:13 am @inksb: what was that action movie you watched a month or 3 ago on Netflix I think that you said was simple but good fun if you like the John Wick type of stuff?
Haha. I loved Nobody. It was another one but I will search the thread.

I finished this one just now. And really liked it. Made me laugh a lot. Loved how some of the effects went out of the frame and into the black borders.

By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:02 pm

I finished this one just now. And really liked it. Made me laugh a lot. Loved how some of the effects went out of the frame and into the black borders.

Maybe it was Kate?

I can't wait to see the new Ghostbusters, a friend of mine took her kids to see it 3 times. They loved it, even if I don't love it it still makes me happy that a new generation of kids are enjoying the franchise just like I did when I was a kid.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:40 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:02 pm

Maybe it was Kate?

I can't wait to see the new Ghostbusters, a friend of mine took her kids to see it 3 times. They loved it, even if I don't love it it still makes me happy that a new generation of kids are enjoying the franchise just like I did when I was a kid.
It was Kate:

viewtopic.php?p=143277#p143277

Thanks again!

I am going to watch Ghostbusters Afterlife this week.
By ScoJo
Is that the 2016 GBs @Bez? I saw it at the time (it was... fine) but don't recall noticing the thing you mention about the fx??
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:21 pm Is that the 2016 GBs @Bez? I saw it at the time (it was... fine) but don't recall noticing the thing you mention about the fx??
Wasn't that release 3D too? Maybe that's why the effects came out like that? For some reason I have a vague memory of the special fx's coming out of the frame

edit:

Just found a pic of it

By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:21 pm Is that the 2016 GBs @Bez? I saw it at the time (it was... fine) but don't recall noticing the thing you mention about the fx??
Yes, I watched a UHD version of it. I was thinking about the 3D thing when I first noticed it. The image @inskb posted shows it well. I did not realize it the first time it happened. It was pretty subtle and not overused. I really liked it.
By Bezulsqy
end title screen for Ghostbusters Afterlife

Really loved this movie. Before this week I did not know Ghostbuster (2016) was a remake of the first one. And Afterlife is actually Ghostbusters 3.
Really liked how they told this story. And some great easter eggs.
By ScoJo
Douglas Trumbull, 1942-2022

IMG_2381.JPG
IMG_2381.JPG (286.44 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
By Hatter313
SO much of the visual language of special effects defined by his work. Like so many of his generation he really created the LOOK of film, especially genre film, as we know it.
By ScoJo
Tribute to the maestro on his birthday.
Seagal. Russell. Suchet.

IMG_2397.JPG
IMG_2397.JPG (273.9 KiB) Viewed 1800 times

Executive Decision.
By inksb

Ghostbusters: Afterlife dir by Jason Reitman

I had very low expectations for this so going into it I was pretty apprehensive. I'll start by saying I don't have the ridiculous love for the original that a lot of people do, that's not to say I dislike it because I actually love the film, I just don't think it's untouchable and the hate thrown around the fanbase for the sequel and 2016 film I just don't get. This film was a ton of fun to watch. It's not groundbreaking or even remotely close to the original film but it has a great young lead, fun supporting cast and an enjoyable 2 hour trip in the Ghostbusters universe. There's plenty of nostalgic throwback references, some subtle some very heavy handed. I don't know anything about the films production but I will say it felt like there was a 3 hour movie made that they had to cut down and the 2nd to 3rd act just kind of jump cuts and it seemed like there was a bunch of missing stuff here. If you have young ones, watch this with them, introduce them to Ghostbusters. I watched the first two a lot when I was a kid and I know I would enjoy this one as a kid too.

Nightmare Alley dir by Guillermo del Toro

I don't have too much to say on this one, I enjoyed it. It was way too long, the first act was way more interesting than the second and third. Acting was great, set design was incredible and cinematography was stellar. My wife absolutely loved it. I jokingly made a comment to her during the first act about the end of the film which actually ended up being the ending, that kind of bugged me lol. Definitely worth checking out.
By inksb
I forgot to mention this, over the last few months we have been rewatching Seinfeld from beginning to end. I have only seen the final episode once and was curious if it was as bad as I remembered, the answers was very much yes. Holy fuck did they fumble that final episode, it was embarrassing and cringe. In fact they really doubled down on all of the characters worst aspects for that final season, Elaine became really obnoxious to watch, George was a caricature of his formal self and Kramer was just a mess. A not so great final season punctuated with a terrible series finale. For a series that prided itself on being about nothing it sure lost the way with that episode.

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:55 pm Image

Ghostbusters: Afterlife dir by Jason Reitman

I had very low expectations for this so going into it I was pretty apprehensive. I'll start by saying I don't have the ridiculous love for the original that a lot of people do, that's not to say I dislike it because I actually love the film, I just don't think it's untouchable and the hate thrown around the fanbase for the sequel and 2016 film I just don't get. This film was a ton of fun to watch. It's not groundbreaking or even remotely close to the original film but it has a great young lead, fun supporting cast and an enjoyable 2 hour trip in the Ghostbusters universe. There's plenty of nostalgic throwback references, some subtle some very heavy handed. I don't know anything about the films production but I will say it felt like there was a 3 hour movie made that they had to cut down and the 2nd to 3rd act just kind of jump cuts and it seemed like there was a bunch of missing stuff here. If you have young ones, watch this with them, introduce them to Ghostbusters. I watched the first two a lot when I was a kid and I know I would enjoy this one as a kid too.

Nightmare Alley dir by Guillermo del Toro

I don't have too much to say on this one, I enjoyed it. It was way too long, the first act was way more interesting than the second and third. Acting was great, set design was incredible and cinematography was stellar. My wife absolutely loved it. I jokingly made a comment to her during the first act about the end of the film which actually ended up being the ending, that kind of bugged me lol. Definitely worth checking out.
I as mentioned before I did not realize it was a remake of the classic noir that I watched ten days before I watched this one. Knowing the end really took me out of it.
By ScoJo
I've started in on this Spanish Nflix supernatural mystery series, will report back. The setup is good - mass ritual cult suicide in small Spanish town, mysterious underground caves, townspeople trying to figure out what has happened. Quite a Stephen King-ish scenario if that's your thing. I like the Ninth Gate overtone of the poster - we'll see.

316A66A3-2BD7-4945-8B2D-056361E0F9F4-1432-0000022F311BAF31.jpg
316A66A3-2BD7-4945-8B2D-056361E0F9F4-1432-0000022F311BAF31.jpg (72.45 KiB) Viewed 1723 times