A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Today I watched Aquaman in 4K today. Looks stunning and the movie isn't half bad either.

Yesterday I watched Den Skyldige (The Guilty): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6742252/
I enjoyed that a lot. I know people have no clue when they here someone speaking Dutch (my language) but I could not make any sense of hearing that Danish...

And one I recommend to you all is a brilliant and strange documentary called: Cold Case Hammarskjöld
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9352780/
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:37 pm Today I watched Aquaman in 4K today. Looks stunning and the movie isn't half bad either.

Yesterday I watched Den Skyldige (The Guilty): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6742252/
I enjoyed that a lot. I know people have no clue when they here someone speaking Dutch (my language) but I could not make any sense of hearing that Danish...

And one I recommend to you all is a brilliant and strange documentary called: Cold Case Hammarskjöld
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9352780/
I just couldn't hack 'Aquaman' myself , @Bez but glad you dug it- lots of folks did it seems.

The Guilty, however, was bloody fantastic! Loved it, might well rewatch/introduce pals to it at some point.
By maxlevel
Trying to puzzle out El Camino. Totally pointless fanboy crap, or, two episodes crowbarred together after a long drinking session, or, actually worth It for seeing Badger in a Star Trek captains Chair.

There are very few high brow comments I can make apart from it feels like when George Lucas decided to ruin his own franchise, only like a Christmas special rather than 10-20 years of additional stories.
By monsterworship
Watchmen

The HBO season opener was amazing.

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross make amazing music, we'll see in time how well it works within this setting. Their music is easily so recognizable though.
By inksb
monsterworship wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:25 pm Watchmen
The HBO season opener was amazing.
I received a text message last night at 230am from a friend telling me how amazing it was.

I was supposed to go see NOES3 Dream Warriors in 35mm but I had a friend who I get to see once or twice a year randomly come into town so I spent saturday evening buying $13 cocktails from "mixologists" (I'm pretty sure these are the super hipsters who wear suspenders and bow ties for a living).

I did manage to squeeze two films in yesterday though.

A pretty basic and straightforward animal attacks flick but Aja is a skilled director and manages to make an entertaining watch out of a pretty shit script. The CG alligators are incredibly impressive for a film of this budget. They are very obviously fake but they are integrated well and the animation is impressive. This could have easily looked and felt like a cheap SyFy movie but it's elevated by the directing and effects department. If you like animal attack films then check this one out, otherwise you may want to skip it.

I had never even heard of Outlanders prior to last week but I follow an IG account that posts pics of obscure laser discs, dvds, vhs and manga's all relating to anime. This one is an OVA from 1986 based on a manga. Earth is being invaded, the invader takes a liking to a camera man once his member is pressed up against her. She then decides that he will be her husband thus saving Earthlings from being wiped out by her father. Lots of boobs, some violence, anthropomorphic animals having sex, pervert toad creatures and a plot strung together from what feels like two years worth of manga. It's a lot of fun. @dollarhyde, have you seen this one? Apparently the manga is quite different and I'll probably check it out in the near future.
By NathanLurker
I saw Crawl this weekend too. It's enjoyable. But the best crocodile/alligator movie I've seen is still 'Rogue' from Greg McLean. Well.... The Great Alligator is also great. I still have to see Killer Crocodile.
By inksb
NathanLurker wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:18 pm I saw Crawl this weekend too. It's enjoyable. But the best crocodile/alligator movie I've seen is still 'Rogue' from Greg McLean. Well.... The Great Alligator is also great. I still have to see Killer Crocodile.
I love The Great Alligator as well. Lake Placid is dumb fun, I revisited it a few years ago and it was much better than I remembered. I enjoyed Rogue but haven't seen it since it hit DVD years ago. I haven't seen Killer Crocodile 1 or 2 but Severin just released a fancy blu of both, I'll pick them up on sale probably. I am still waiting for some one to release Lewis Teague's film Alligator from 1980 on blu, I've held off watching this one for years in hopes of a good copy showing up.
By NathanLurker
inksb wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:51 pm
NathanLurker wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:18 pm I saw Crawl this weekend too. It's enjoyable. But the best crocodile/alligator movie I've seen is still 'Rogue' from Greg McLean. Well.... The Great Alligator is also great. I still have to see Killer Crocodile.
I love The Great Alligator as well. Lake Placid is dumb fun, I revisited it a few years ago and it was much better than I remembered. I enjoyed Rogue but haven't seen it since it hit DVD years ago. I haven't seen Killer Crocodile 1 or 2 but Severin just released a fancy blu of both, I'll pick them up on sale probably. I am still waiting for some one to release Lewis Teague's film Alligator from 1980 on blu, I've held off watching this one for years in hopes of a good copy showing up.
Yeah so, Severin came at the Fantasia Film Festival last summer and they had a merch booth and prices were excellent. I'm thinking next summer I might pick up the crocodile movies if Severin come back. Last summer I picked up their Beast in Heat blu, which I watched last week. ah, dumb and bad taste fun.
By Bezulsqy
Giovanni Fago's 1974 Fatevi vivi la polizia non interverrà a.k.a. Kidnap
score by Piero Piccioni

By Dollarhyde
inksb wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:54 pm Lots of boobs, some violence, anthropomorphic animals having sex, pervert toad creatures and a plot strung together from what feels like two years worth of manga. It's a lot of fun. @dollarhyde, have you seen this one? Apparently the manga is quite different and I'll probably check it out in the near future.
I've known of the Vinyl release of the OST and seen the anime get mentioned on twitter a few times but honestly knew little about it, but since you mentioned boobs violence and pervert frogs I felt I should at least check it out :D

I just watched about half of it, exactly as you said about two years of manga squeezed into an OVA, completely ridiculous. The dismemberment and decapitation at the beginning, and proceeding boner hook up :D, in the first minute so got my attention. And also made zero sense!

Reminded my a little of Urusai yatsura, as the heroine is voiced by lums voice actress. And plays a slightly similar role. I don't know much about Urusai but have seen and would highly recommend

Beautiful Dreamer: Urusai yatsura 2 dir. By Mamoru Oshii
https://youtu.be/yLXIBNb9vqo

I think there was a ton of these type of ova Mae around that time, proper anime trash :)
By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:15 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:54 pm Lots of boobs, some violence, anthropomorphic animals having sex, pervert toad creatures and a plot strung together from what feels like two years worth of manga. It's a lot of fun. @dollarhyde, have you seen this one? Apparently the manga is quite different and I'll probably check it out in the near future.
I've known of the Vinyl release of the OST and seen the anime get mentioned on twitter a few times but honestly knew little about it, but since you mentioned boobs violence and pervert frogs I felt I should at least check it out :D

I just watched about half of it, exactly as you said about two years of manga squeezed into an OVA, completely ridiculous. The dismemberment and decapitation at the beginning, and proceeding boner hook up :D, in the first minute so got my attention. And also made zero sense!

Reminded my a little of Urusai yatsura, as the heroine is voiced by lums voice actress. And plays a slightly similar role. I don't know much about Urusai but have seen and would highly recommend

Beautiful Dreamer: Urusai yatsura 2 dir. By Mamoru Oshii
https://youtu.be/yLXIBNb9vqo

I think there was a ton of these type of ova Mae around that time, proper anime trash :)
Glad you checked it out. The manga is all over the net to read if you're interested. I found a downloadable copy on argchive.org so I'll get to that once I get through my ridiculous back log
By Bezulsqy
Romolo Guerrieri's 1974 Un uomo una città a.k.a. City Under Siege
score by Carlo Rustichelli

By ScoJo
Now watching:

Screen shot 2019-10-22 at 16.12.37.png
Screen shot 2019-10-22 at 16.12.37.png (24.77 KiB) Viewed 2932 times

So - until now, we have had various laserdisc rips of this film, all of them quite low res and blurry. Even the recent print available via Netflix is from the same source (and the UK Netflix one is even Pan and Scanned!)

But I have finally completed my full restoration project, based on the work of others, and it's now looking and sounding better than it ever has. Don't expect it to look like a Bluray, but it's a definite upgrade from what we have ever had previously.

I started with a 1080p upscale from a 720p TVrip, which a fan had already re-graded to better match the original laserdisc colouring (some TV prints have a weird magenta cast for some reason...)

But the sound on this version was horribly compressed and full of artefacts, so I removed it and re-sync'd much better audio from a previous laserdisc rip. I then did some thorough re-mixing and balancing of this track, addressing some of the notorious issues with quiet dialogue spots and super hot fx portions. Then gave it a full EQ.

Finally (and just 'because'), I totally rebuilt the opening Paramount logo and first few title cards in full 1080p HD, which involved building The Keep title logo in photoshop, as close as I possibly could to the original (which has always been in 'squiggle vision' and blurry due to the SD laserdisc-to-digital conversion.) For the opening Paramount logo screen, I stole the one from the Star Trek III 1080 bluray, since it was released around same time as The Keep and has same ident.

Phew! So I ended up with an upscaled 1080p 100GB Quicktime Pro file (eek) and then used some compression voodoo to get this down to a 10GB 15000 kbps .mp4 file.

If anyone wants it, I have dropped this file in my Google Drive - drop me an email and I will bounce you a d/load link :)

filmficciones (at) gmail
By Hatter313
It’s always hammer season
By inksb

This has been on the "to watch" list for ages but I have such a hard time convincing myself to watch a found footage film. Well I was bored and couldn't sleep the other night so I tossed this on. It was decent. The bad acting and shit characters seem very purposeful. The first hour was pretty engaging and had some creepy moments, a simple figure hidden by shadow walking into the background, standing still for a moment and then walking out of frame was quite effective. Unfortunately the climax falls flat on it's face as it does the "OH MY GOD!!! WHATS HAPPENING!!!!?!?!?!" Followed by non stop screaming and unwatchable shakey footage with bad fake digital break up, you can barely tell what the fuck is happening and these "horrific" events that the whole film set up and built to were a complete waste. Still recommend checking out if you are curious, it's not a bad film, one of the better found footage films I've seen over the last few years.
By ScoJo
Right, listen up : I wasn't completely convinced by the first season of Castle Rock - it was fine, but it was slooooooow...

Well the first three episodes of Season Two have been fucking in-credible. If you're a Stephen King freak, get strapped in cuz it looks like this season is going to deliver superheavy on the Kingiverse! (Just you wait...)

Also watched My Name is Dolemite (Netflix), which was a muthafuckin scream, turkeys! Great script, incredible cast, beautiful production/music etc. The writers of Ed Wood, and it's basically a remake of that script but it's a pure joy from start to finish. To add to the fun, Prime has Dolemite at the moment and watching that straight afterwards is a hilarious trip.

To top off a good week of genre TV, the last episode of the Creepshow series on Shudder was the best yet - especially the first part, with the reworking of The Monkey's Paw, directed by John Harrison. Like all of the shorts so far, it's not QUITE there in terms of writing and Creepshow tone but this particular story has some great parts and really delivers on the stylized/artificial comic book Creepshow feel.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:48 pm Right, listen up : I wasn't completely convinced by the first season of Castle Rock - it was fine, but it was slooooooow...

Well the first three episodes of Season Two have been fucking in-credible. If you're a Stephen King freak, get strapped in cuz it looks like this season is going to deliver superheavy on the Kingiverse! (Just you wait...)

Also watched My Name is Dolemite (Netflix), which was a muthafuckin scream, turkeys! Great script, incredible cast, beautiful production/music etc. The writers of Ed Wood, and it's basically a remake of that script but it's a pure joy from start to finish. To add to the fun, Prime has Dolemite at the moment and watching that straight afterwards is a hilarious trip.

To top off a good week of genre TV, the last episode of the Creepshow series on Shudder was the best yet - especially the first part, with the reworking of The Monkey's Paw, directed by John Harrison. Like all of the shorts so far, it's not QUITE there in terms of writing and Creepshow tone but this particular story has some great parts and really delivers on the stylized/artificial comic book Creepshow feel.

I did not like castle rock season 1, but on your reco I’ll give the second season a whirl.

Love Ed Wood, will def give this a watch.

I agree, creepshow has been getting better and closer with each installment. I thought the companion segment in the episode last week finally got the music closer, but the monkeys paw segment this week was almost 100% on point.
By ScoJo
I honestly dont think you'll regret sticking with Castle Rock, @Hatter. Its like a conpletely different pace and tone this time. And the two major king books which it seems that this season is pulling from... oh baby. Like I say- just you wait ;)
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:05 pm I honestly dont think you'll regret sticking with Castle Rock, @Hatter. Its like a conpletely different pace and tone this time. And the two major king books which it seems that this season is pulling from... oh baby. Like I say- just you wait ;)
I’m down to give it a shot for sure, I couldn’t believe how much I grew to dislike season 1. I also think I probably would have liked it more if it wasn’t tied to an IP that I not only love but have marvel...scratch that...TREKKIE level, knowledge of. (Sad geeky asinine example I kind of hate myself for - watching season one, reverend character is introduced in the 1991 timeline. my stupid fan geek brain, trying to figure out how much King continuity the show is preserving goes “well that doesn’t make any sense, the reverend at that church in 1991 was Willie Rose, and if this is after Gaunt then that church shouldn’t even still be standing.”)

That inane example though, was part of the problem I was having with it, it was like it couldn’t decide if it was in continuity and presenting a later story or if it wasn’t, you’ve got Pangborn looking at newspaper articles about Leland Gaunt but then now ace Merrill is a character in this second season, and obviously as a king reader the idea of alternate dimensions and slight variance a between events isn’t even remotely odd, it’s just another level of the tower, fine. But between me trying to understand how much of this towns history I was supposed to bring with me to the show, how much was just Easter eggs combined with the obtuse pacing it just lost me. Game to give season 2 a shot though. I Like the idea of the characters they are bringing in this time around. Now, tell me a NEW antique store is going to open with Messrs Barlow and Straker in attendance at some point and I’m back in the saddle for sure.