A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Here's a place I thought we once had, but can't find anymore, to share our current visual stimuli that don't necessarily warrant their own, individual threads. Anyways here's me now:

EVIL DEAD (1981).

I meant to re-watch the three films before I started Ash vs Evil Dead, but couldn't find the time. I still have the final two episodes left of the show, but they can wait until tonight.
By lazyben
Heh, I haven't watched Ash vs the Evil Dead yet because I had the same thought. I have watched the Evil Dead I and II and the recent remake but haven't got round to Army of Darkness yet. I guess I should get on it.
By Mateo Sanboval
lazyben wrote:Heh, I haven't watched Ash vs the Evil Dead yet because I had the same thought. I have watched the Evil Dead I and II and the recent remake but haven't got round to Army of Darkness yet. I guess I should get on it.
Yeah, I just couldn't resist watching the first episode. Telling myself the whole time, "Just this one and then you'll re-watch the trilogy." Yeah right. I'm on the couch today so it's time for a marathon.
By J.R.
I'm having a few days grace from watching films. I decided to do a 'movie record' of what I watched last year, and it was 400 flicks.

A rest is needed.
By Mateo Sanboval
Well, EVIL DEAD (1981) was worth a visit, but It was a bit less atmospheric than I remembered. And a lot more screaming. Snap Judgement: C+. Onward we go.

EVIL DEAD II (1987)
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Mateo Sanboval
Evil Dead II was fun as Hell. Cheesy? Yes! Ambition several times larger that its budget? You betcha! Does Ash fire up his chainsaw arm, rack a shotgun, and say, "Groovy."? That's a big ten four. Still, it was a bit repetitive at times. Hard to demerit for that since it is more a remake than a sequel, but, hey, someone else named it part two, not me. Snap Judgement: B+. Fun flick.
By J.R.
Are you gonna include Drag Me To Hell or Mystics in Bali in your Evil Dead love fest? DmTH sees Raimi revisit his Evil Dead insanity but in a less secluded location, and Mystics in Bali is similar wackiness!
By bpwlogan
Always good for a late night laugh or two.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 24669 times
By Mateo Sanboval
J.R. wrote:Are you gonna include Drag Me To Hell or Mystics in Bali in your Evil Dead love fest? DmTH sees Raimi revisit his Evil Dead insanity but in a less secluded location, and Mystics in Bali is similar wackiness!
Probably not immediately, but I've been meaning to re-watch Drag Me To Hell as well. I haven't seen it since it was released. Mystics in Bali is a new one on me. I'll have to check that out.

@bpwlogan - Unbelievably, even though I'd been staring at that very box cover since I was in short pants, I only saw C.H.U.D. for the first time a couple of years ago. Really fun film.

EDIT: I just played the trailer for Mystics in Bali and shut 'er down after half a minute. It looks BANANAS. I'm all in.
By Mateo Sanboval
Well this just happened.
Good stuff. Fun movie. Hit all the high marks. ED2 is still my favorite. Snap Judgement: B.
By J.R.
So we can post whatever we are watching here, eh? Well today I decided to drag out Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (called Sorcerer's Stone in the USA?), which I've not watch for a couple if years. I might actually give the whole series a bash.
By bpwlogan
@Mateo I have a few movies I need to catch up on too. I always remember the VHS boxes in the old mom and pop video store where you could go get a bad pizza and a bad movie. One that comes to mind is Chopping Mall I've never seen that one. Welcome back by the way!

@J.R. You can post whatever you want to here. You can even post Rainbow Brite if you want to. We had an older "now playing " thread that got cooked when the site was redone a few months back.
By bpwlogan
Probably my favorite Rutger Hauer movie. I love the funky score by Keith Emerson too.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 24637 times
By Mateo Sanboval
@JR - Like the man said. Anything you want. Go nuts.

@bpwlogan - Cheers, sir! Good to be back. First, Chopping Mall aka Killbots is awesome and even though I first watched it about eight years ago, it was exactly that sort of hazy, VHS box on a shelf memory for me as well. Well worth your time. Second, Nighthawks is one of my favorite films, period. All the style and atmosphere of a gritty 70's buddy cop action piece, but with all the big ideas and cocaine sheen of the 1980s blockbusters that would follow. Emerson's score is very cool and available pretty cheap (I picked up a sealed copy for $10 a ways back) and as a bonus it has a sweet, die cut cover. http://www.discogs.com/master/view/365927
By J.R.
Chopping Mall is a blast, and starring Barbara Crampton, Dick Miller, Ace Mask, Mary Woronov, Paul Bartel, the guy from Deathstalker IV, Gerrit Graham.... It's like a B Movie reunion!
By J.R.
After the second Harry Potter movie, and Z for Zachariah, I am now balls deep in Soavi's
Stagefright. I love this movie!
By Mateo Sanboval
J.R. wrote:Z for Zachariah
How was it?
By J.R.
They have certainly tuned it up for a modern audience, but it's well acted with a good cast, but I found it to end of quite an ambiguous note.
By ScoJo
Watching Sisters with my mum.
And no...NOT the DePalma.
Laugh it up, fuzzballs.

(It's actually pretty good fun, in that modern-comedy fashion. John Leguizamo always kills!)
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote: John Leguizamo always kills!)
Especially in Carlito's Way.
By bpwlogan
It's below zero here in the Twin Cities today. That makes it the perfect time to watch The Thing.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (990.45 KiB) Viewed 24577 times
By ScoJo
VHS? Sweet!

Speaking of (looking at that art) last night I watched a superb doc about Drew Struzan.

Did you know, he created that Thing art overnight?? Just incredible.
By bpwlogan
@SocJo- I didn't know that. One of the reasons I've kept my VHS tapes is because of the original art work. I have to say this is one of my favorite movie posters of all time. That's amazing that the artist could make something like this in one night. It really is an incredible piece of work.
By Little Walter
I just re-watched The Thing recently with someone who hadn't seen it, and she constantly made fun of the score: "It's just a heart beating for an hour." I need new friends.

Just watched a Kill Bill double feature last night and can't stress their dependency on one another enough. If you've watched them separate and had complaints, I dare you to play them off of each other like they were meant to be watched. The blending of Western and Eastern and so on styles plays like an ode to cinema's core, but when you embrace that, you can really find yourself moving where QT wants you to move.

Also, go see The Revenant. If I can lay any weight on fortune, that movie will redefine modern film.