A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Once I realised this thing was over 4 hours, and it was essentially going to be endless talking heads chronologically breaking down a shit load of 'canon' 80s horror flicks... I bailed. Very dull and uninspired in my book. Why not do the most basic of documentary 'moves' and cross cut/reference between films to illustrate threads and themes?

And yeah- narrator was a pill.
By inksb
Is In Search of Darkness the one that fucked every body over with their terrible kickstarter? Blurays were botched and looked like printed at home instead of professionally made?

I'm not a big documentary person, I have too many movies to watch to begin with I don't need to watch a movie about the movies I'd rather watch :)

Although I did really enjoy the NOES and F13th docs that came out years ago and were incredibly long.
By skeletonbutt
ScoJo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:40 pm Once I realised this thing was over 4 hours, and it was essentially going to be endless talking heads chronologically breaking down a shit load of 'canon' 80s horror flicks... I bailed. Very dull and uninspired in my book. Why not do the most basic of documentary 'moves' and cross cut/reference between films to illustrate threads and themes?
that would probably be too much work or require creativity and inspiration. something like room 237 would have been neat where clips from movies illustrate what the talking heads are speaking about without subjecting the audience to stare at them.

yeah ink those ones are great. i think that's what they were trying for but they had no direction. it's too broad of a topic.
By maxlevel
Castle rock I totally love both seasons. I even love it’s total bullshit moments!
By horrorfromthetv
IMG_1229.JPG
IMG_1229.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 3237 times
Slow-going,creepy with a payoff.Wish I would of got a copy of the soundtrack.
By Bezulsqy
watched this yesterday
halfway in my girlfriend asked if this is a B-movie...

Ridley Scott's 1987 Someone to watch over me
score by Michael Kamen

By inksb
This one won't be for everyone but I've read all the comics and had to see what they did with the show. Overall I had a good time, it's dumb at times (so is the comic), these kids make incredibly dumb choices with the power they inherit and it produces some pretty awful results. They make terrible choices at important junctures of the story but it's how they played out in the source material. There is some kind of trivial boring high school drama shit in the middle but it's a show about kids in high school so it comes with the story. If the idea of the story interests you then give it a shot and see if it works, if you are a fan of the comics then definitely give it a watch.

I have definitely not seen this film, I thought I may have at some point but after watching this I'm sure I would have remembered it. Holy hell is this a bleak film wrapped in a "light hearted" shell. The gas station scene was incredibly horrific as was the scene in the mall towards the end. I loved it and I can't believe it's taken me this long to see it.

Finally had a chance to check this out. I thought it was decent, I don't think I'll revisit it but it's a well made film with pretty good special effects that also happens to tie into what's considered by many one of the greatest horror movies ever made. I don't love The Shining as much as others do but it's an incredible film that I respect and revisit every 5 years or so. I have not read Doctor Sleep so I had no frame of reference for the story other than I knew Danny Torrence was all grown up. I think the most horrific scene in the whole movie was stealing the womans money and leaving the baby on the bed with his mother who may or may not be alive. There are some inherently stupid things in the story that just feel so much like late period King it just makes me laugh. The movie is way too long though, it doesn't have a fast pace and that is made to feel even longer with slow moving scenes and long drawn out shots.

This is worth watching, I'm not going to talk much about it as I don't want to ruin anything in the film. The premise is a man in his 30's receives a letter from his father that he's never known saying that he'd like to reconnect. He then travels to his fathers remote cabin to meet him for the first time. Elijah sporting a wonderful mustache and bowl cut to go along with his high end hipster fashion. Good performances from all involved. Definitely give this one a watch.
By ScoJo
SJs Watch List Update:

THE OUTSIDER
Must watch. Fantastic crime/horror in the vein on True Det S1.

SERVANT
Really atmospheric, twisted horror vibes. Quite unusual and claustrophobic, builds to a 'talking point' twist ending.

CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM
The first 'MAGA hat' episode is amazing, perhaps the other eps so far are not quite up to previous level but still a hoot. JB Smoove killing it as ever.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:54 am SJs Watch List Update:

THE OUTSIDER

CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM
The first 'MAGA hat' episode is amazing, perhaps the other eps so far are not quite up to previous level but still a hoot. JB Smoove killing it as ever.
I can't get enough of The Outsider. It's so well done. Even in episodes that feel like basically nothing happens, it's still incredibly engaging.

And Curb is Curb, Larry never feels like he misses a beat. The MAGA hat bit was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages. And JB Smoove is my favorite character in the show, he has been since his first appearance. I do think the joke about Jeff being confused for Harvey Weinstein is pretty funny too, all he has to do is shave that stubble beard and it would go away. I haven't caught up to this weeks episode but I've seen the first three.

I started watching a show called Flowers starring Julian Barratt, we just finished the first season it is dark black comedy. Julian's character is battling depression and while it may seem like it's funny and just there as a story device, any one who has actually had to deal with depression on a life threatening scale will know that the writer of this show has as well. It's fucking sad. I guess there is a second season and I'm not sure where the show will go as it seemed pretty neatly wrapped in it's 6 episodes.

Funny side note about Julian, my wife is terrible with actors names so she calls him cockle eyes. It cracks me up every time.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:53 pm
This is worth watching, I'm not going to talk much about it as I don't want to ruin anything in the film. The premise is a man in his 30's receives a letter from his father that he's never known saying that he'd like to reconnect. He then travels to his fathers remote cabin to meet him for the first time. Elijah sporting a wonderful mustache and bowl cut to go along with his high end hipster fashion. Good performances from all involved. Definitely give this one a watch.
I watched this yesterday. It was entertaining. But I did find it a bit silly or corny in some parts. Score sounded excellent.
By Bezulsqy
Franklin Adreon's 1966 Cyborg 2087
score by Paul Dunlap

This was kind of adorable. The way they looked at the future in the sixties appears to be kind of sweet. It shows that it is hard to really foresee what is possible in 50 years time.
By maxlevel
In the UK at the moment Sky has launched Sky Comedy as a channel, which you can get on a NOW tv pass for £8 - All ten seasons of Curb, all of Veep, SNL weekly. all that good shit I missed over the years through negligence. Try cramming all that into a month
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:15 am Franklin Adreon's 1966 Cyborg 2087
score by Paul Dunlap

This was kind of adorable. The way they looked at the future in the sixties appears to be kind of sweet. It shows that it is hard to really foresee what is possible in 50 years time.
Dystopian science fiction always has a better chance of future relevance than the more cheerful kind.... sadly.
By inksb
maxlevel wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:20 pm Loved the book as a young chap. Liked the film. Never liked tv critics. Gave it a chance, gave up at “vinyls”. I mean what sort of cunt *slams door shouting*

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... oe-kravitz
Fun fact: High Fidelity is the only film I've ever left the theater in the middle of the film. I've tried so many times over the years to watch it and see if I was just being stupid (I'm sure I am, kinda) but I fucking hate John Cusack and that movie is him at his worst for me. I like Jack Black and Tim Robbins but fuck he just grates on me so bad.
By maxlevel
Grosse Point Blank though. Total classic! He’s had some crackers. the Player, Malkovic. Didn’t do much of use after the 90s tbh scanning down the list
By ScoJo
Here's a really fun little 5min short horror, made by the Forever Midnight podcast guys (dipping their toes into walkin'-the-walk-not-just-talkin'-the-talk...)

Great music, they manage to cram three original songs and a cello score into the run time!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-hHGHS ... e=emb_logo[/youtube]

EPYqYiaU4AEiUNl.jpeg
EPYqYiaU4AEiUNl.jpeg (164.83 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
By inksb
maxlevel wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:26 am Grosse Point Blank though. Total classic! He’s had some crackers. the Player, Malkovic. Didn’t do much of use after the 90s tbh scanning down the list
It's one of the few Cusack films I can tolerate and it's because he's playing against his normal character type. Much more tolerable and a really well written film.
ScoJo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:07 am If you didn't dig Hot Tub Time Machine, y'all are dead to me.
I at least finished this one ;)

I only watched it once though and barely remember anything but the premise.
By skeletonbutt
VFW comes to VOD friday, directed by the guy who did bliss. with Martin Kove, Stephen Lang, William Sadler, David Patrick Kelly, George Wendt, Fred Williamson. "A group of war veterans must defend their local VFW post and an innocent teen against a deranged drug dealer and his relentless army of punk mutants."
By inksb
skeletonbutt wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:03 pm VFW comes to VOD friday, directed by the guy who did bliss. with Martin Kove, Stephen Lang, William Sadler, David Patrick Kelly, George Wendt, Fred Williamson. "A group of war veterans must defend their local VFW post and an innocent teen against a deranged drug dealer and his relentless army of punk mutants."
Hell yeah, I've heard so much good stuff about this.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:54 am SJs Watch List Update:

THE OUTSIDER
Watched this yesterday. Because we thought there were only 6 episodes we watched them in one go. I really loved it. My girlfriend had some issues. But as she wanted to keep watching I assume she liked it. Today I found out there are ten episodes in total. No I understand the open ending of episode six :-)
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:10 pm
I at least finished this one ;)

I only watched it once though and barely remember anything but the premise.