A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
so Sleepwalkers made me wonder what movie has the most inventive use of an cob of corn

and why is the score for Critters 2 so hard to get...
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:25 pm The score for Critters is hard to get as well...
I see. I forgot I have the Japanese version on my want list for a long time.
By Hatter313
I've just come from Dune

very few properties are as important to me as Dune

I am floored. Some may not vibe his pacing or his treatment of what are traditionally more "epic" action beats, but anyone who knows the story knows this isn't the story for that, especially with where he cuts it off.

And he NAILS the thematic issues of Paul's character and gets there quicker than the book really does.

Its a marvel, and while i know some might not dig it as much as i did, i hope you do.
By Bezulsqy
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:48 am I've just come from Dune

very few properties are as important to me as Dune

I am floored. Some may not vibe his pacing or his treatment of what are traditionally more "epic" action beats, but anyone who knows the story knows this isn't the story for that, especially with where he cuts it off.

And he NAILS the thematic issues of Paul's character and gets there quicker than the book really does.

Its a marvel, and while i know some might not dig it as much as i did, i hope you do.
I liked Dune a lot. But it was far from perfect. I never read the book but I loved the way the story was told in the movie. Also the pacing felt great.
The score was a bit too much at times.
And one thing that kept popping in my mind after seeing it is a feeling about the esthetics of these kind of 'big' movies. The big buildings and sets feel too clean for me. Too perfect. No soul. Same with Bladerunner 2049 or Tenet maybe.
Perhaps it is because I live in an old house that fall apart in places and is filled with clutter :-)
By Bezulsqy
First watch The Night House (2021) with my girlfriend. I liked it a lot. Especially because my girlfriend found it very very scary. That added to the suspense for me. Not sure about the ending though. My girlfriend thought the main character was simply drinking too much...

Second movie I watched by myself. Pretty nice action thriller flick for the most part. Although a bit too much silliness. It was no John Wick ;-)

I do miss the title screens from the end of the nineties. Nowadays you have to wait till the end of the movie to see the first letters appear. They used to make a real effort out of the title screen.
By Bezulsqy
EvanCampbell wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:32 pm Bez how is lawnmower man..I cannot remember anything about that.
I did not think I would like it as much as I did. I watched the directors cut at 142 minutes in stead of 110. It took me the first 30 minutes to get into it though...
The CGI effects I thought I remembered were the 'video game' sections when they are using the virtual reality technology. Those effects didn't take me out of the movie as some bad CGI might do. At the end there were some effects that weren't too great.
The story is fairly simple: scientist (Pierce Brosnan) knows how to train the brain by use of virtual technology. Of course the government wants to use this technology for creating monkey war machines. Something goes wrong. The scientist uses his technology on the Lawnmower Man (Jeff Fahey) who has an IQ of 45. His brain ends up becoming so powerful that a lot of shit happens :-)
By ScoJo
And all of it drawn directly from Stephen King’s short story…

2200CAC3-600B-4A03-92CA-1D5F6614FE38.gif
2200CAC3-600B-4A03-92CA-1D5F6614FE38.gif (1.93 MiB) Viewed 1675 times
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:09 am And all of it drawn directly from Stephen King’s short story…

2200CAC3-600B-4A03-92CA-1D5F6614FE38.gif
hahaha. Yes, I did not have a clue nor do I care but thank you wikipedia for all the knowledge.
By Bezulsqy
Not sure if I have the time today and tomorrow to continue with 1993 but here is my list so far in sort of best to worst order. But a lot of them are very close and could be swapped any time.
Exorcist III DC stood out for me as well as Jacob's Ladder.
Two Evil Eyes was a bit too boring. And Child's Play 3 wasn't that bad that it deserves to be on the bottom of a list. But it was not great either :-)
Everything in between could sort of be tossed around.
The Pit and the Pendulum was not what I expected. Lance Henriksen was fantastic and because of him alone everyone should see that movie.
Tremors still is a fun movie. Most of the list below I had not seen before but Tremors I have seen many times.
The biggest issue with a lot of these movies is the pacing. Normally I don't mind a slow pace but in some cases (The Sect and The Resurrected for instance) some parts felt to be too long.
I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of the effects used.

- Exorcist III Directors Cut a.k.a. Legion (1990)
- Jacob's Ladder (1990)
- Tremors (4K) (1990)
- Nightbreed Directors Cut (1990)
- Body Parts (1991)
- The Resurrected (1991)
- The Pit and the Pendulum (1991)
- The Sect (1991)
- Sleepwalkers (1992)
- Popcorn (1991)
- The Lawnmower Man Directors Cut (1992)
- Two Evil Eyes (4K) (1990)
- Child's Play 3 (1991)
By ScoJo
Re: Lawnmower - Fahey is hilarious in it, I'm such a fan! And I adore Jenny Wright.
Last edited by ScoJo on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By inksb

DUNE Dir by Denis Villeneuve
As a person who has never read Dune and only watched the Lynch film fully for the first time this year, I wasn't sure what to expect out of this movie. I liked most of the cast and the trailer looked pretty good. Both the Mrs and myself really enjoyed this even though we didn't realize it was "part 1" and only about half of the book (according to a friend). The score was not good though, a lot of it was fine and serviceable but damn were there some glaringly odd choices that just bugged me. The film look incredible. I really hope they at least make a part 2, I need sandworm riding in 4K on the big screen, the 4 seconds here was disappointing.

Old
Dir by M Night Shyamalan

I had no idea what to expect from this, I'm not a fan of his generally but my wife really wanted to watch this (she loves Gael) so we gave it a shot this weekend. While not a good film, it's one of the better ones he's done in a long time. No stupid twist, a mildly interesting story (felt like a 80's Twilight Zone concept). Acting was a bit rough in places and while it was shot quite well I thought the editing had some issues in places. Overall not a waste of 2 hours but also not necessary viewing either.

Spiral: From the Book of Saw Dir by Darren Lynn Bousman

I had my expectations set very very low for this one. The last Saw film I watched in full was part 3. I tried part 4 but shut it off after maybe 30 minutes or so? I'll start right off with Spiral is not a great movie, it's mediocre at its best and terrible at its worst but I kind of enjoyed parts of it. The violence made me squirm (the finger scene was rough) and I really liked Chris Rock as a serious cop, he really made the film more enjoyable overall for me. The "twist" we saw a mile away, it was all very obvious but that didn't take away from my desire to see it all play out. Plot was super dumb, most side characters were really bad and the editing, oh boy, the editing was something I thought we left back in the late 90's early 00's. It had the fast quick cut jerky bull shit. I know it's part of Saw's aesthetic but it's just awful and it would have been better with out it. I would say if you're curious and want to check it out go for it but this is not a good film at all.

My Father Is A Hero Dir by Corey Yuen

This one was pretty fun. I actually didn't realize Anita Mui was in it until she showed up which made me very happy as I really enjoy her. Jet Li doing his thing here, he was always more reliant on wire work and sped up action than Jackie which is why I was never as big of a fan but he's good and I'm enjoying checking out some of his work that I completely overlooked. Basically this is a story of an undercover cop infiltrating a gang and having his child get mixed up in it. There's a wild scene where they put the child's head through a glass table, throw him across the room and hold him by his throat to choke him out. HK is fucking wild. The bad guy in this one is hilarious, he is such a character it's hard to not be fascinated by him when he's on screen. The stand out roles here are the bad guy, Jet Li's character's son and Anita Mui. Jet is kind of bland and just there to punch and kick his way through the film. Definitely worth a watch imo.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:04 pm Glad you checked that out @bez!
Yes, I understand the appeal. And very well made. The third segment was a bit much for my taste.

I see Daniel Licht made the music for the second and third part and looking him up on Discogs I see he also scored Dexter. Now I know why a piece of music during the second part sounded so familiar: it has been used a lot in Dexter.
By inksb
I may rewatch it next week actually, it's been a few years. It was my first Region B bluray that I bought, well before I even had a region free bluray player. I would rip the video from them and watch the digital copy on my computer.
By Hatter313
Surprised by the mixed response to the dune score. i'm not generally a huge fan of Zimmers and I think this may be my favorite work from him and was listening to it all weekend. well, thats what makes horse racing.
By inksb
If it helps @hatter I generally don't care about Zimmer, his scores serve a purpose but don't grab me
By ScoJo
Refer to my ‘Zimmer-Shaped Hole in your Soul?’ theory on this one. I find it quite interesting, the way his stuff fully emotionally impacts on some, whilst leaving others pretty cold.
By Hatter313
Yeah, i'm usually left remarkably cold by him. I was super disappointed in his score for 2049 and genuinely nervous for this one. If any of his work is going to get me, i'm glad it was this one, especially after finding his score for No Time to Die to basically be a Zimmer batman score that he occasionally remembered to "Barry" up...and not nearly enough for my tastes.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 pm Yeah, i'm usually left remarkably cold by him. I was super disappointed in his score for 2049 and genuinely nervous for this one. If any of his work is going to get me, i'm glad it was this one, especially after finding his score for No Time to Die to basically be a Zimmer batman score that he occasionally remembered to "Barry" up...and not nearly enough for my tastes.
I think BR2049 is very dull and my understanding is that it’s mostly Walfisch’s work, with some limited input from HZ.
In terms of properly putting my theory to the test, you have to play someone either Interstellar or Inception and gauge their response, as those are fully undiluted Zimmer masterpieces in my estimation. But yeah, they just don’t connect for some. As I say I do find this really interesting since they have a ridiculously powerful effect on me, and it’s wild that that’s not the case for others. Music be crazy!
By deafmetal
Ah, Dune. Similar to @hatter, this material is very important to me. I'm that guy that gave copies of the original text to girlfriends in hopes they would eventually read it (spoiler: they rarely did), but I never gave up trying. Folks enjoy describing Tolkien's world-building, and I am a nutter Tolkien fan, but Herbert adds such a metaphysical and psychedelic twist to world-building. Dune is important, and it was important that it not get fucked up. I tried to avoid all spoilers but could not resist watching the trailers. I was mildly hopeful but still a bit fearful. To counter my fears, my now-almost-18yo kid was thrilled. She loves both Zendaya and Chalamet and was over the moon about this film although she also will not read the book and has refused to watch the Lynch film with me in any form (even my old copy of the '92 extended TV version! haha). It doesn't help that J disparages the Lynch film a bit too often at home, which I try to defend, but that is a well-covered topic here. Anyway, we settled into our seats and I could hear the Zimmertron rumbling to life as the production logos flashed. I had heard a possibility of this... but was still surprised to see a formal "Part One" on the screen....

spoiler time *!#$*#!$*)*$#

I could feel a reverence for the material here, along with some smart choices to really focus on Paul's family story line. One of the things that makes Star Wars a bit boring at times is all the yak about unrelated galactic politics or taxes (I'm watching Foundation for that - another book to talk about). The cinematography and art direction was wonderful. Compare the costume design here against the 2000 SciFi Channel series (it's not fair, but still). The scene that had me gobsmacked was on Salusa Secundus with the Sardaukar legions performing their rituals... that is everything I want from a film like this, and I hope to see more like that. The pacing felt good, the acting was good, I was never bored, I did not get annoyed with slight changes or tweaks from the original text and those things usually make me cringe. I think I understand the tighter story arc Villeneuve is going for here which suits a 2.5 hour film format. Also, how's this for success... the kid loved it. That is a rare event for "Mark's old scifi stuff" and one I have to truly celebrate. Now, I did have an ear cocked for Zimmer's bombast and while there were some of the usual blasts from the Great Zimmer Organ, I also heard quite a lot of drony synth and strings mixed with some vocalizations. I think I was trying to pick up on it a bit too much that it was distracting me in parts so I probably need another viewing and a standalone listen before settling on an opinion, but it was at least serviceable. Sometimes I do wish a newcomer had the opportunity to bust in and just tear into a film like this with a fresh take on things though.