A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Seen this many times but it has been a while.
Another from 1990 and now in 4K.
Does one classify this under horror? I have it under Action/SciFi at the moment.

By Bezulsqy
I should put it under horror... Still a lot of fun. Makes me want to watch Arachnophobia next. I think I watched Tremors and that one multiple times in the middle of the nineties because they got aired a lot on tv.
Another one from 1990 would be Flatliners but I am skipping that one.

Can anyone tell me when or in what movie they feel that the bad 90s cgi is used for the first time? I am looking forward to seeing how the 90s evolve in that way. But I am trying to stay away from the really bad titles though...
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:40 am
I had never seen any version of Nightbreed and indeed this was a terrific movie.
Glad you liked it. I'm a huge fan of Barker as a director, I love all three of his films and really wish he had been given another chance to direct more (well I'm sure he was offered the job again but I know Nightbreed and Lord were an uphill battle for him that he probably didn't want to return to).
By inksb
I've never seen Two Evil Eyes either. I always skipped over it because every one seems to think it's mediocre. I've contemplated picking up that 4K set but other things get in the way
By inksb

Possession Dir by Andrzej Żuławski

What the fuck did I just watch?
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:37 pm I've never seen Two Evil Eyes either. I always skipped over it because every one seems to think it's mediocre. I've contemplated picking up that 4K set but other things get in the way
It is not bad. I don't think you will like what Harvey Keitel does with the black cat in the second segment...
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:47 pm Image

that's one I also still need to see
By ScoJo
I’ve been sick all day and now feeling a bit sorry for myself so thinking about putting a movie on. Was considering rewatch of Tenet then I realised something.
What I really want is to somehow go back in time, and have Tenet but starring Washington Sr. and directed by our boy Tony Scott. And throw out that POS Brannagh. Maybe swap out Pattinson for, say, prime Kilmer? Something with emotional stakes, and with all the goofy sci fi back and forth conceit, but less po-faced and more fun big budget B movie?

And then I realised - they made that film. It’s called Deja Vu.

I’m a watch Deja Vu.

C72AF322-B788-466D-B6E3-784B5C8344A0.png
C72AF322-B788-466D-B6E3-784B5C8344A0.png (390.27 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:47 pm
inksb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:47 pm

that's one I also still need to see
I think this will be a solo venture for you @bez based on what you've said your other half enjoys watching. It's a long, grueling, awkward affair.
By EvanCampbell
Scott get well brother!

Bez one of the first films to use cgi was Super Mario bros. It was one of my early work experiences as a teenager and I remember conversations on set about using computers for the first time. I only saw the film once being it is kind of terrible but I think there is some awful cgi shots if my memory serves me correct I think it was either 91 or 92.
By ScoJo
Also, Ive just started watching Babylon 5 which was dawn of the 90s, and all of the spacecraft fx in that are budget cgi. Oof.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:11 am I nominate everything in Escape from LA. And that was ‘95!
It's truly terrible CG. I remember being in shock at how bad it looked when I saw it in theaters (and I was a kid). These days I can look at it and laugh but I was genuinely upset at it back then.
By Hatter313
There is some ROUGH early cgi in the last starfighter, which is otherwise one of my favorite feel good movies from when I was a kid, but man oh man are there some rough shots in there, that’s ‘84.

I’m showing a friend suspiria for the first time tonight, and breaking the seal on the 4k disc from 2019.

And folks, if you haven’t…my god does it look stunning
By Bezulsqy
Only three people in the theater.
Attachments
71774769-DCBB-492C-B258-4A4CC6663085.jpeg
71774769-DCBB-492C-B258-4A4CC6663085.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 1599 times
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:57 am There is some ROUGH early cgi in the last starfighter, which is otherwise one of my favorite feel good movies from when I was a kid, but man oh man are there some rough shots in there, that’s ‘84.

I’m showing a friend suspiria for the first time tonight, and breaking the seal on the 4k disc from 2019.

Must say I discount TLS from the ‘rough cgi’ convo because I count it alongside Tron as a trailblazer and it seems a bit unfair ;) I have wondered whether it would be an even cooler flick with model/optical effects though. Would certainly be different!

However… since you bring up Dario, how about this legendary POS effect from his Dracula 3D- MADE IN 2012?!!!

It’s like Eight Legged Freaks never happened :))))

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ssE_6DmL_dk
By Bezulsqy
Go watch Dune in the theater if you have the chance. If not for the picture then for the sound. The bass is insane.
Also excellent movie.
Score is true Zimmer. Love to hear what others think.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:36 am
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:57 am There is some ROUGH early cgi in the last starfighter, which is otherwise one of my favorite feel good movies from when I was a kid, but man oh man are there some rough shots in there, that’s ‘84.

Must say I discount TLS from the ‘rough cgi’ convo because I count it alongside Tron as a trailblazer and it seems a bit unfair ;) I have wondered whether it would be an even cooler flick with model/optical effects though. Would certainly be different!

However… since you bring up Dario, how about this legendary POS effect from his Dracula 3D- MADE IN 2012?!!!

It’s like Eight Legged Freaks never happened :))))

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ssE_6DmL_dk
yeah thats a super valid point, its testing the tech, not being lazy about it, which is a completely different conversation i agree. Also i just love that movie too much haha. I mean seriously, its a space fantasy with gonzo performances from both Dan O'herlihy AND Robert Preston, directed by the literal SHAPE. I hadn't watched it a few years before Arrows recent release and i forgot how much pure fun that flick is.
Last edited by Hatter313 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hatter313
and yeah that Dario Dracula.....ooof.
By Bezulsqy
EvanCampbell wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:54 pm Bez I should have included this since somebody posted this video on YouTube as the worst cgi ever. Another direct to video pos I worked on in 94 or 95 called The Regenerated man. Not watchable under any circumstances
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CI4Lx_3df0k&t=1s
Damn... I am not sure if the CGI was the worst part of that clip :-)

Thanks for all the info though. I sort of remember Super Mario Bros because of playing the video games at that time. Not sure if I have actually seen that movie.
For some reason I am thinking about The Lawnmower Man regarding early and bad use of CGI. I see that one is from 1992 so I am thinking of watching it next week or so. But it is 141 min long...