A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
maxlevel wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:37 am Re: Baldwin.Did you like too old to die young? I couldn’t stand it
Have not seen it and probably never will...
By ScoJo
POINT>COUNTERPOINT =
I loved TOTDY... but am somewhat embarassed to admit so ;-)

Very tentatively recommending to select pals has provided some hilarious responses!
By inksb
I have watched the first two parts of TOTDY and thoroughly enjoyed them but it is a slow moving machine and I completely understand the hate leveled at it without having finished it.

On the topic of "TV" are any of you watching The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance? I'm completely floored by it, it's really good, the voice cast is spectacular and the puppets are truly wonderful. Jim Henson fueled my childhood and I have a huge soft spot for any and all of those puppets. Amazing puppetry makes me feel like a child in the best of ways, it's a weird thing if I try to think about it but man that stuff just makes me happy. I love watching behind the scene footage of work Henson did over the years and seeing the crews and innovation they did to create so many amazing creatures. Enough of that, this series is well worth watching if you are a fan of The Dark Crystal or Henson's puppet work. And bonus you get Mark Hamill as a Skeksis border lining his Joker voice.
By maxlevel
@inksb just watched episode 1, having zero knowledge or interest I was blown away. I’m looking forward to the rest of it! Sophisticated kids films are like gold dust. I watched the first Muppets Movie 1979 in the spring by accident and it’s a work of genius. I then had to watch Maniac Cop to restore balance
By Hatter313
Agreed, If you are even remotely a Henson fan you have to watch it, it’s one of the most impressive pieces of work Netflix has done and a masterwork of fantasy. The voice work is awesome, especially those actors who are mimicking voices from the original. These are big name actors who are often burning themselves is just recreating a voice from the past, clearly out of love for the material. Simon Pegg as the Chamberlain is a particular standout.
By Bezulsqy
How is Knock Knock? I did not know about that movie until yesterday. Sounded okay.

edit
after I posted the above I looked online for more info... ouch
I think I am going to watch Death Game (1977) in stead at one point.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:09 am How is Knock Knock? I did not know about that movie until yesterday. Sounded okay.

edit
after I posted the above I looked online for more info... ouch
I think I am going to watch Death Game (1977) in stead at one point.
I actually enjoyed Knock Knock. It's not an amazing movie but it's one of Roth's better films since Hostel. His best film since Hostel is House with the Clock in the Walls but prior to that it was Knock Knock. There are better things to watch but if you are bored one day and need some filler check it out, Keanu is pretty good in it too.
By Bezulsqy
Finally watched this. Not as brutal as I expected. Not as good as I hoped it to be. But definitely not bad.

By inksb
Worth a watch @bez? I've seen mix reviews on it so I figured I'd wait til it popped up on some streaming site or something.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:02 pm Worth a watch @bez? I've seen mix reviews on it so I figured I'd wait til it popped up on some streaming site or something.
Yes, definitely worth a watch. But don't get too excited :-)

Now this:

By inksb
I have the Let's Scare Jessica To Death bluray pre-ordered. I've held off watching a DVD rip for years. I can't wait to see it as I've heard it's quite great.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:08 pm I have the Let's Scare Jessica To Death bluray pre-ordered. I've held off watching a DVD rip for years. I can't wait to see it as I've heard it's quite great.
I watched a 1080p webversion of it. Took a some time to get going but when it did... Can't wait to get that score in my hands!
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:08 pm I have the Let's Scare Jessica To Death bluray pre-ordered. I've held off watching a DVD rip for years. I can't wait to see it as I've heard it's quite great.

Is that preorder up yet? Was on shouts site yesterday, must’ve missed it!
By Bezulsqy
Anyone tips for some recent scary(ish) stuff? Something like Annabelle:Creation... loved that one.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:23 pm Anyone tips for some recent scary(ish) stuff? Something like Annabelle:Creation... loved that one.
Have you seen Possum? Very strange, sad and creepy. Great visuals and music.

I've heard decent things about the Strangers sequel 'Prey at Night'
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Is that preorder up yet? Was on shouts site yesterday, must’ve missed it!
Wow. I totally thought I pre-ordered this on Amazon. I just checked my open orders and it wasn't there, then searched for it and saw that it's not on there to pre-order. I pre-order so much stuff, I just thought this was in there. So I'll change my original statement and say I will be pre-ordering it when ever it becomes available. .
By Hatter313
@inks, #same. I have a running list that rarely goes below 30 entries throughout the year....it’s a problem haha. We are living in a golden age for this type of stuff, the very idea that a 4K restoration of something like the legend of boggy creek got a roadshow tour and a soon to be announced disc is incredible, ditto for so many of these titles.

Meanwhile, I’m cooling down in the hotel right now and saw amc was playing Friday 13th (of course)...but oh dear, it’s the remake, which I’ve never seen and is, so far, pretty abysmal. What’s odd about it is that it’s not like the original series isn’t ALSO vapid teenager and college kids getting axed, but there’s a puppy charm that comes from the era that the mid 2000s just lacks in really apparent ways.
By Bezulsqy
Possum indeed looks very interesting. Might go for that tomorrow.
Just finished this one. First one was better.

By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:20 pm @inks, #same. I have a running list that rarely goes below 30 entries throughout the year....it’s a problem haha. We are living in a golden age for this type of stuff, the very idea that a 4K restoration of something like the legend of boggy creek got a roadshow tour and a soon to be announced disc is incredible, ditto for so many of these titles.

Meanwhile, I’m cooling down in the hotel right now and saw amc was playing Friday 13th (of course)...but oh dear, it’s the remake, which I’ve never seen and is, so far, pretty abysmal. What’s odd about it is that it’s not like the original series isn’t ALSO vapid teenager and college kids getting axed, but there’s a puppy charm that comes from the era that the mid 2000s just lacks in really apparent ways.
The wishlist of bluray's is ever growing. I've had to chill quite a bit over the last year. I had a long period where I was getting 1-3 blurays a week. Coupled with my absurd record purchasing habit it got a bit nuts so I decided to cut back. Espceially with companies like Arrow, Scream Factory and Vinegar Syndrome putting out 4-5 movies a month. I'm a little more selective now but will still splurge and buy a bunch every now and then.

I actually like Friday the 13th Remake. The characters are terrible, the cast is full of way too pretty CW level actors but it functions as decent slasher and has some fun kills. This is all from my memory of seeing it in the theater so I could be changing my tune the next time I revisit it. So I may end up agreeing with you, haha.

The wife bought us tickets to see IT Chapter 2 on Sunday so we are about to watch Chapter 1 which we haven't seen since the theaters.

By Hatter313
That IT poster does a better job of capturing the feeling I want from those movies more than the moves themselves do. I like both of them a lot (still holding final judgement in case he does a super cut) but that poster has a vibe I wish the movies had.
By Bezulsqy
Alfredo Giannetti's 1980 Il bandito dagli occhi azzurri a.k.a. The Blue-Eyed Bandit
score by Ennio Morricone
starring the great Franco Nero

By ScoJo
I'm not sure I recommend bothering, B - just pull out the LP instead ;)

Currently on a Polanski rewatch kick, in celebration of the expanded Tenant ost/upcoming vinyl edition

IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG (189.74 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
Attachments
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG (189.74 KiB) Viewed 2005 times