A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:09 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:06 pm I like this one. Not because of it being scary but I thought it was original and well made.
Can't wait to check this one out. Hopefully this week or weekend.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 110411.jpg

The Abyss by Jimmy "I fucking hate grain as much as I want to fuck a blue alien" Cameron

First time watch for me and The Abyss fucking rocks. I missed this initially in the 90's then I decided to wait for a HD transfer before I watched it, I made this decision when bluray first became a thing and it took this fucking long. Add to that this film has been completely scrubbed of film grain and sharpened it's kind of a shame I denied myself the awesomeness of this film for the end result. Honestly the transfer seems to be the best of the 3 recent 4K transfers from Jimmy's catalog, it looks pretty good most of the time, there's some glaringly bad smooth shots here and there but others look really clean too. Some of the composite shots still have grain and I assume that's bc it would have completely fucked the shot up if they removed it entirely. Worth checking out the new transfer just to see what they did. I hope one of these days some on scans a 35 mm print, I'd love to see what that looks like.
First time watch, holy hell. To be in your shoes, my friend. My friends and I would watch this film repeatedly on VHS.
By inksb
deafmetal wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:51 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:09 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:06 pm I like this one. Not because of it being scary but I thought it was original and well made.
Can't wait to check this one out. Hopefully this week or weekend.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 110411.jpg

The Abyss by Jimmy "I fucking hate grain as much as I want to fuck a blue alien" Cameron

First time watch for me and The Abyss fucking rocks. I missed this initially in the 90's then I decided to wait for a HD transfer before I watched it, I made this decision when bluray first became a thing and it took this fucking long. Add to that this film has been completely scrubbed of film grain and sharpened it's kind of a shame I denied myself the awesomeness of this film for the end result. Honestly the transfer seems to be the best of the 3 recent 4K transfers from Jimmy's catalog, it looks pretty good most of the time, there's some glaringly bad smooth shots here and there but others look really clean too. Some of the composite shots still have grain and I assume that's bc it would have completely fucked the shot up if they removed it entirely. Worth checking out the new transfer just to see what they did. I hope one of these days some on scans a 35 mm print, I'd love to see what that looks like.
First time watch, holy hell. To be in your shoes, my friend. My friends and I would watch this film repeatedly on VHS.
Yeah it's one I oddly missed during the 90's and made the decision to wait til a better version arrived, not thinking it would take so damn long. Even my best friend who I used to swap tapes with and just get together to watch shit was like how did you never watch this????
By Bezulsqy
Violent Blood Bath (Jorge Grau), 1973
Part of the Vinegar Syndrome box called Spanish Blood Bath.
Nice Spanish giallo type of film with the beautiful Marisa Mell.

By inksb
Screenshot 2024-04-04 092339.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 092339.jpg (52.09 KiB) Viewed 404 times

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire dir by Adam Wingard

This is the one, it's what I've wanted out of the Hollywood Godzilla films this entire time. The human story finally takes up 25% of the film and the remaining 75% is giant fucking monster action. This film is super goofy, silly, monster action. They lean into it very hard. There's a scene between G & K that is very clearly inspired by Roddy & Keith's brawl in They Live. I've enjoyed all the recent Hollywood Godzilla films to various degrees but this one is the one I'll watch multiple times in the future. Dan Stevens is a highlight here, it's like he was told to be Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park but really lean into the being a goofball. I know these are not for everyone but man if you like monster action and were a fan of something like Thor Ragnorak then give this a go bc it's one of the most enjoyable blockbusters I've seen in ages.
By ScoJo
Oh god I love this film so much. And it's score. Everything about it. That Perkins was clearly influenced by his love of Blood Simple for starters (he poached their stylish scene transitions as well as their composer), and that it's a true 80s slasher as well as a Psycho entry. I skipped school and watched it about three days running at the flicks, no doubt in empty theatres, and became obsessed with Norman and his L.L. Bean style - had a serious phase of corduroy slacks and stiff collar shirts/deck shoes :)

Really wish Blow Out Records would do the expanded score….. just sayin’.
By EvanCampbell
ScoJo wrote:Oh god I love this film so much. And it's score. Everything about it. That Perkins was clearly influenced by his love of Blood Simple for starters (he poached their stylish scene transitions as well as their composer), and that it's a true 80s slasher as well as a Psycho entry. I skipped school and watched it about three days running at the flicks, no doubt in empty theatres, and became obsessed with Norman and his L.L. Bean style - had a serious phase of corduroy slacks and stiff collar shirts/deck shoes :)

Absolutely inspiring me to look into this....for some reason I missed this one and score. Also really late but let me know about how to hear that freidkin doc you mentioned back a bit.
By ScoJo
EvanCampbell wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:59 pm
ScoJo wrote:Oh god I love this film so much. And it's score. Everything about it. That Perkins was clearly influenced by his love of Blood Simple for starters (he poached their stylish scene transitions as well as their composer), and that it's a true 80s slasher as well as a Psycho entry. I skipped school and watched it about three days running at the flicks, no doubt in empty theatres, and became obsessed with Norman and his L.L. Bean style - had a serious phase of corduroy slacks and stiff collar shirts/deck shoes :)

Absolutely inspiring me to look into this....for some reason I missed this one and score. Also really late but let me know about how to hear that freidkin doc you mentioned back a bit.
I really can’t see you being disappointed E. Such a fun movie.

It was Friedkin’s biography I mentioned, specifically the audio book version read by WF. I’ll send you the files :)
By ScoJo
Thought I’d share this in case you’re interested.

Bez’s Psycho III viewing put me in mind, as I contend that Perkins was very much influenced by Blood Simple. I really wanted to relisten to the commentary but no longer have the dvd edition which it’s featured on - bit of sleuthing and discovered it hidden on YT.

For those unaware, this is a very funny ‘spoof’ commentary which was presumably scripted by the Coens, or maybe even improvised - it’s delivered by a character named ‘Kenneth Loring of Forever Young Film Restoration’. In actuality it’s actor Jim Piddock (Best in Show).

https://youtu.be/f3wtwJv1meo
By ScoJo
ScoJo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:56 am
EvanCampbell wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:59 pm

I really can’t see you being disappointed E. Such a fun movie.

It was Friedkin’s biography I mentioned, specifically the audio book version read by WF. I’ll send you the files :)
Screwit- here’s the link for anyone who wants it, space is tight so I’ll leave it there for a week 👍🏼

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HXZJ2N ... p=drivesdk
By ScoJo
Well here's a treat in case any of y'all are interested - a 45GB scan of the original Alien theatrical cut 35mm print. Here's the link to the trrnt file. The colour grade is pretty different (and better) than the current blue version, and slightly more picture info. Plus there's some anamorphic squeeze evident on the blu. There are multiple audio options including the 'recommended' original optical track. Some scan comparisons below:

https://pixeldrain.com/u/9j9vUP3y

image_6483441.JPG
image_6483441.JPG (266.78 KiB) Viewed 184 times
image_6483441 (1).JPG
image_6483441 (1).JPG (267.58 KiB) Viewed 184 times
image_6483441 (2).JPG
image_6483441 (2).JPG (261.71 KiB) Viewed 184 times
image_6483441 (3).JPG
image_6483441 (3).JPG (133.73 KiB) Viewed 184 times
By ScoJo
And while Old Man ScoJois here complainin’…. here are some reference comparisons between the Terminator 2 new restoration (top) and the 35mm theatrical scan. Ugh.

94E4F9F4-9393-441B-AA75-3F21BD749D7C.jpeg
94E4F9F4-9393-441B-AA75-3F21BD749D7C.jpeg (65.47 KiB) Viewed 182 times
7404C0CA-C278-4F37-8399-4783B1F3C532.jpeg
7404C0CA-C278-4F37-8399-4783B1F3C532.jpeg (79.72 KiB) Viewed 182 times
C481CBC7-C91A-4B2D-835E-BAC574F502A9.jpeg
C481CBC7-C91A-4B2D-835E-BAC574F502A9.jpeg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 182 times
19F6397C-4DA3-49A7-B3F5-F47CB766662F.jpeg
19F6397C-4DA3-49A7-B3F5-F47CB766662F.jpeg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 182 times
By inksb
I have a 35mm T2 and it's wild how much Jimmy fucked with the film over the years.
By Bezulsqy
the 35 mm one is really that blue?
I found a source of some fanedits as well as 35mm scans but I haven't delved in what is available yet.

Am I correct that a 2k or 4k scan of 35mm is really sharp and detailed as compared to stuff released on DVD for instance? I am a noob in regards of video quality across different formats.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 pm the 35 mm one is really that blue?
I found a source of some fanedits as well as 35mm scans but I haven't delved in what is available yet.

Am I correct that a 2k or 4k scan of 35mm is really sharp and detailed as compared to stuff released on DVD for instance? I am a noob in regards of video quality across different formats.
it should be but also depending on the condition of the film print they scanning you can have mixed results. Plus some of the people doing these scans are not always professionals. Then you factor in the encoding and compression used to get it to a shareable size for the internet. But yes in general these 35mm prints will look way better than a DVD.

I will say you can't always use a 35mm as a 100% accurate reference for color, depending on how they were stored will effect the color over time but it can at least be a starting point. I've seen plenty of red/pink hue prints over the years that was not part of the original color grade. It can be subtle and it can be quite drastic. When I saw Critters projected years ago it was one of the most pink prints I've ever seen.

I actually just watched a 35mm scan of Psycho 2 this week, it looked fantastic. It was open matte though, which shows the full frame instead of the correctly cropped aspect ratio. You could see composite exposure at times and the boom mic was visible in about every wide shot.
By Bezulsqy
Yeah, I notice there is a whole subset of people who collect Open Matte versions of movies.
Personally I prefer to watch a movie the way the director intended. Although with some directors and how the change their view over time that is not necessarily always the best way to view the movie.
I could try to watch different versions of a movie but there are simply to many movies to watch and to little time.
By inksb
I'm not a fan of open matte myself but I noticed a decent amount of these recent 35mm scans have been that. I have a copy of Texas Chainsaw that is open matte, thankfully it's not terribly noticeable due to the original framing being pretty open