A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Lionello DeFelice and Ello Scardamaglia's 1966 La lama nel corpo a.k.a. The Murder Clinic
score by Francesco De Masi

By ChrisMcQueen007
Phew, haven’t watched this in 20 years or so. Still holds up (of course). Not sure I‘m in the right mood for it (it‘s summer after all, me and my family are healthy - knock on wood - so all good) . But whatever.
Attachments
45DCB10F-E299-446A-ABC5-4B0F921312A7.jpeg
45DCB10F-E299-446A-ABC5-4B0F921312A7.jpeg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 3590 times
By Bezulsqy
^ Chris, help me out here, what am I watching :-)

Also we watched Briarpatch this weekend in one go. Really loved that show. Dark humor, some absurdism and a mystery. Great music. Loved most characters and actors.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:30 pm
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:13 pm @Bez/ScoJo: Yup. And I must say it‘s a classic.
Aha. That explains a lot. I have not yet seen it :-)
It’s a rough ride - but I would say give it a try someday. Maybe you won‘t like it but I‘d say it‘s worth watching at least once.
By inksb
I don't love Maniac but it has some really great kills, effects by Savini and is well worth watching at least once.
By inksb
I know I've seen this film many many years ago but I have barely any recollection of it outside of it being super violent. It did not disappoint. It's fast paced hitman film and it delivers on just about every front you would want from an 80's violent anime stand point. Also has excessive female nudity through out which I some how forgot about to but you know what the biggest thing my brain ommitted from memory? The "amazing" 1983 helicopter CG scenes, those were special. My wife immediately said "what the fuck were they thinking?" when that scene started up. The film is so beautifully animated, even with the cheap still shots with flashing colors, the helicopter stuff is just so bad. If you haven't watched this or it's been ages, give it another go, it holds up really well.

I had high hopes for this one. The reviews were good, some of my friends who watched it said it was great. It started out decently, had a few laughs but at the 40 minute mark I was checking to see how much time was left. All of the jokes tend to wear out their welcome pretty quickly and the 3 kids just were not that likable. Maybe I'm just an cranky old man but modern comedies rarely hit for me. What We Do In the Shadows film was the last theatrical comedy that had a lasting effect on me. The one thing that really grated on me was one of the kids screams very high pitch when he's scared or upset. There's a scene about 3/4 of the way through where he does it like 10 times in 2 minutes and it completely made the "joke" go from humorous to annoying. Also I saw lots of praise over the kid actors but half of them just felt like those prissy actor shits that take themselves so seriously that you can tell they acting, to me the only kid that felt natural was Lucas and even that that's a bit of stretch at times.
By Bezulsqy
Antonio Margheriti's 1968 Nude... si muore a.k.a. The Young, the Evil and the Savage
score by Carlo Savina

By inksb
My expectations were pretty low going into this one, I've seen so many mixed things about it that I just didn't expect much. To my surprise I had a lot of fun with it. Margo Robbie as Harley was easily the best part of Suicide Squad and seeing her reprise the role here is great. The movie is far from perfect and I had lots of issues with various things (big & small) but overall I had a good time watching it. Unfortunately for the film felt like an intro to the Birds of Prey rather than focusing on them which is a shame as I really loved Huntress & Canary on screen in the later half of the movie. Huntress in particular is so awkward in the best ways, she made me laugh with just the few lines she had. Admittedly I'm a big fan of Winstead so maybe I'm biased. The potential it set up for a sequel is great and I'm sad we won't get more of them. I don't think this will be for most people, I can see parts of it being grating for a lot of folks but gets a cautious recommendation from me

On the anime side of things:

I recently started watching One Piece. This show came out at a time when I wasn't watching new anime at all, in fact I always thought it just looked goofy and didn't pay much attention to it. After having a friend keep recommending it to me I decided to dive into it as some of it's on Netflix. It's very obviously a shonenjump anime that loves to drag shit out but it's really well done and incredibly engaging. I've watched 40 episodes and didn't even realize I've been watching that many. The characters are really likable (except Usopp) and once you hit the Nami / Arlong arc it sets its hooks in you and makes you really care about the characters. It also helps that a lot of the voice cast is DBZ voice actors as well (I'm watching in English), Luffy is Gohan from DBZ Kai, Zorro is Vegeta (my favorite) and Arlong is Mr. Satan. I'm having a lot of fun with it but there are over 900 episodes so I don't think I'll ever catch up, it's one of the longest running anime's of all time

I watched season 1 of this years ago when it came out and thought it was fun. The Mrs. discovered it recently and got sucked in, she watched season 1 in the span of 4 days and I told her I'd continue it once she caught up with me. We just watched the second season which was pretty entertaining, had some really great moments sprinkled in with the typical slow anime tropes. It is hilariously creepy, the main character loves fondling the breasts and ass of another character who blushes and just does a little "oooooo". A side character is an immortal who looks 20 and falls in love with a fairy goddess who is hundreds of years old but in typical anime fashion she looks like she's 12. Japan is so creepy sometimes. Aside from that stuff it's an entertaining show. Apparently season 3 has some really bad animation due to them rushing it out so I'm a little weary to start it but we must press on I guess.
By deafmetal
@inks - my kid, well, she's 16 now, is all about Birds of Prey and Margo Robbie as Harley Quinn. I took her to see it in the theater when it was released and she loved it, and I have watched it with her a few more times again since then. I think your assessment is spot on.

I need to rewatch Golgo 13 again now. It's probably been over 25 years...
By texasvinyl
Finally watched Uncut Gems last night. Not my favorite. Sandler's character doesn't develop at all. He's an intolerable annoying POS, everyone hates him and treats him like shit for obvious reasons, and then it ends. Idina Menzel was exceptional though. How did she not get a nod for supporting actor? Her wordless sneers landed like Mike Tyson punches.

I just don't know what story they were trying to tell or why. What was the point? It was just a 2-hour stress ball for the sake of, or at least that was what I walked away thinking.
By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:33 pm Finally watched Uncut Gems last night. Not my favorite. Sandler's character doesn't develop at all. He's an intolerable annoying POS, everyone hates him and treats him like shit for obvious reasons, and then it ends. Idina Menzel was exceptional though. How did she not get a nod for supporting actor? Her wordless sneers landed like Mike Tyson punches.

I just don't know what story they were trying to tell or why. What was the point? It was just a 2-hour stress ball for the sake of, or at least that was what I walked away thinking.
I feel like that was kind of the point? It's supposed to be an extremely stressful experience. There was no moral to the story, he was a piece of shit who actually got lucky when he shouldn't have only to have the pendulum swing the other way at the exact same moment. Have you seen their other film, Good Time? It's a similar experience, less stress more creepy scumbag, just a slice of this awful persons life for 2 hours.
By texasvinyl
Oh I totally agree. It was the encapsulated stress of the predictable collapse of this terrible person's life. I guess I just came away wondering "but...why?"

On a side note, I figured out Netflix has a Windows 10 app, and if you upgrade to an Ultra HD account it will serve up native 21:9 @ 1440p. Uncut Gems filled the full screen with no bars on any side of the picture. Super cool. If anyone is considering going ultrawide for a monitor, do it!!
By Bezulsqy
Mauro Severino's 1969 Vergogna schifosi a.k.a. Dirty Angels
score by Ennio Morricone

By Bezulsqy
Francesco Barilli's 1978 Pensione Paura a.k.a. Hotel Fear
score by Adolfo Waitzman

Not what I expected based on the title and other gialli. I found this to be very bleak and rather depressing. As @ScoJo said: very atmospheric. But I do prefer movies like these to be either more over the top or more mysterious are sexier. This one was rather brutal. I understand the director is not a feminist :-)
By texasvinyl
How was vergogna Schifosi? The album cover looks like some sex or cult stuff.

Just watched Birds of Prey. Figured I'd hate this and love uncut gems but was the opposite all around. This has a ton, just a ton of terrible reviews out there... I'm sure they have absolutely nothing to do with this being a movie written, directed, produced and starring women including a diverse cast whose ethnicity has absolutely fuck all to do with their characters or the plot. The angry basement troll review brigade was out hard after this one, sheesh.

I thought it was a fun watch for sure. Good action, very nice looking movie, gorgeous women, the music director did a good job, the characters were memorable and well cast. There's a Jackie chan esque fight scene with big hands as props, it was funny and didn't take itself seriously at all. Bright, colorful. Basically the opposite of the other DC films I've seen (only a few) which are mostly grey serious and terribly dull. Ewan MacGregor plays this terrific flamboyant insane villain, the art direction is just so on point for creating an alternate Gotham universe that is way more Clooney/Kilmer batman vibe than Bale, in a good way.

It's on HBO streaming.
Attachments
MVIMG_20200822_151421~2.jpg
MVIMG_20200822_151421~2.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3415 times
By Bezulsqy
texasvinyl wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:29 pm How was vergogna Schifosi? The album cover looks like some sex or cult stuff.
It was a bad quality rip. As far as I know there are no decent looking versions of it. But nevertheless it was a good giallo and interesting watch. No cult and little sex. But sexy.

Just now finished
Lorcan Finnegan's 2019 Vivarium
score by Kristian Eidnes Andersen

Thanks for the tip @ScoJo. I really liked it. Well made and original.
By deafmetal
Lovecraft Country - J caught a trailer for this and asked me to watch it with her. This is essential Americana, and it is the real Black history I have always wanted to see on a TV show, but you rarely get to see. It also pulls no punches on Lovecraft's literary racism while simultaneously being an open love letter to vintage science fiction. I have only watched the first episode and I'm hooked. Also, no shortage of eldritch horrors and ridiculous gore and slime. I have high hopes for this series.

The Lighthouse - Finally sat down with this grim tale and absorbed the 4:3 ratio black & white atmosphere that they were going for with the production. The sound design worked well for me with the fog horn almost playing its own antagonist character in the film. I will never get enough of Willem Defoe, and he chews through scenery with reckless abandon. The scene where Pattinson's character is drunk and insults his cooking sends Defoe into this epic, amazing curse. The way his face is lit while he spews his lines is just perfect, and he looks like a perfect madman with his eyes bulging and glowing. The girls had no interest in this film, and it does come across as a very "men-in-isolation" type of story, but easily relatable if you have ever worked one of those lonely or weird type of jobs out in the field somewhere. I guffawed out loud when I saw them mixing honey with fucking turpentine after they had run out of the emergency supply booze. Surreal and bizarre toward the end of the film.
By inksb
I also caught the first episode of Lovecraft Country over the weekend. It was impressive and I'm very excited to see where it goes. That scene in the woods before shit really hits the fan was so fucking tense.
By Hatter313
Lovecraft country: finished the book last night ahead of the second episode airing, they’ve made some minor changes and done some different character stuff but so far it’s pretty spot on, and all the changes I’ve noted are for the better. excited to see what they do with the rest of it.
By Bezulsqy
Rossano Brazzi's 1969 Salvare la faccia a.k.a. Psychout for Murder
score by Benedetto Ghiglia

I really liked this one. Also loved the score.
By Bezulsqy
Tinto Brass's 1967 Col cuore in gola a.k.a. Deadly Sweet
score by Armando Trovajoli

By Bezulsqy
Alberto de Martino's 1969 Femmine insaziabili a.k.a. Carnal Circuit
excellent score by Bruno Nicolai