A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Warning: Large post incoming...

So last week was a bit shit for me, I spent Tuesday evening in severe pain, thinking it was a kidney stone. I was at home by myself while my wife was in her night class about an hour away. It got to a point where I could not drive so I just paced the house for hours trying to distract from the pain. It hurt so bad I couldn't sit down. Then all of a sudden I started vomiting, I've never vomited from pain before and that was a strange experience. At this point I realized I needed to go to the hospital so my wife came home and took me to the emergency room. I spent the late hours of Tuesday and early hours of Wednesday drugged up, getting CT scan and waiting for a kidney stone to pass. I finally got home a little before 3am and the first piss I took when getting home I passed the stone. This was so much better than the one I had a few years ago where it took days to pass.

So with that long story said, I was recouping for a few days. Pain meds fuck me up and sap up all my energy so I just was confined to the couch for days trying to sleep it off and when I wasn't sleeping the only thing I could muster was watching movies.

Rumble in the Bronx - Hong Kong cut. I found an upload that some one took the current HD master which is the US cut, spliced in the quite bad quality DVD footage from the HK cut, used the original HK audio and subtitled the whole thing. This is by the best version of this film and I really hope some one releases it from a new scan of the HK. It took one of my favorite Jackie films and made it better.

This one was alright, it took a familiar premise and twisted it into it's own thing. I liked the actor who played the killer but the main character was terrible and really detracted from my overall enjoyment.

This probably my second favorite of the Into the Dark series. A fun take on Thanksgiving horror. Directed by Marcus Dunston of The Collector films (also wrote a few Saw films and Feast films). Well shot, acted and had some good gore gags. The main bad guy sounds like he's doing his best Liam Neeson impression.

Finally watched this. TD's score really elevates the film. It's definitely a bit rough but the film has a charm to it and I love the premise. I honestly didn't expect the presence to speak which definitely shifted my expectations of the film. It's a shame this one is essentially being left on the shelf, it really deserves a nice new restoration and bluray.

Parasite was fantastic. I won't say much more but it really deserves all the praise it's been receiving. Much better than OKJA.

Holy shit this fantastic. Easily my second favorite film this year right behind Bliss. Funny enough both were shot on 16mm. Like @ScoJo said this one is hypnotic, it just sucks you in and you can't look away. Everything feels off but you don't know why, strange shit happens then makes you doubt what you saw. I want to watch it again.
By ScoJo
Jesus, sorry to hear about the pain festival, @inks. Yikes. Glad you're on the up!

Re: LUZ, I told ya right? What a little bloody gem of a weird flick. Really hope he has a worthy follow up in the works... would hate to be disappointed as I have been with others who dropped a bomb but then 'dropped a deuce' with the follow up (Im looking at you, It Follows and Donnie Darko!!)
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:45 pm Jesus, sorry to hear about the pain festival, @inks. Yikes. Glad you're on the up!

Re: LUZ, I told ya right? What a little bloody gem of a weird flick. Really hope he has a worthy follow up in the works... would hate to be disappointed as I have been with others who dropped a bomb but then 'dropped a deuce' with the follow up (Im looking at you, It Follows and Donnie Darko!!)
Thanks. And yeah I was just floored by Luz, even the wife was into it and thinks it's one of the years best. I'm one of the weirdos who actually likes Southland Tales but it's a hot mess of a film. Reading the 3 part graphic novel before watching the film helps make more sense of it but it's still ridiculous. I still haven't watched the follow up to It Follows but it went from highly anticipated to I'll watch eventually when I don't have a laundry list of other films to watch (probably never,lol)
By inksb
Oh yeah, I also watched this...

It sucked, don't bother with it. I'm completely surprised that people are putting in their best horror of 2019 lists.
By skeletonbutt
ScoJo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:45 pm Jesus, sorry to hear about the pain festival, @inks. Yikes. Glad you're on the up!

luz was really good but i thought you liked under the silver lake?
By ScoJo
skeletonbutt wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:36 am

luz was really good but i thought you liked under the silver lake?
Heh, funny guy
By Bezulsqy
Stelvio Massi's 1980 Poliziotto solitudine e rabbia a.k.a. The Rebel
score by Stelvio Cipriani
last poliziottesco starring Maurizio Merli if I am not mistaken

By inksb

This one was quite a bit of fun. The cast was great, the story was entertaining and not quite what the marketing leads us all to believe. I enjoy all of Rian Johnson's films, enough so that I tend to go see every one when it's released. None of them are perfect and this one isn't either but if you're looking for a very entertaining 2 hours then check it out. Fair warning, be prepared for an awful accent from Daniel Craig, very much on purpose.

And here's one I remembered from my recovery last week.

I thought I was really going to enjoy this but it was a bit of a slog until the final 20 minutes. I am glad I skipped out on picking up the Arrow bluray as I don't see myself revisiting this one often.
By maxlevel
Luz is really fuckin good!

And there’s even a scene where someone gets hit in the face with a reel to reel machine! Those things weigh a flippin ton!!
By inksb
Glad you liked it @max

I watched episodes 5 & 6 of Watchman last night. I'm still amazed that the show is as good as it is. And the squid, we saw the fucking squid.
By maxlevel
@inksb it goes to places I don’t think have been done in the mainstream before, in this way at least. However I feel it’s elaborating overall, expanding on the original and so it’s a tiny bit Matrix-Sequel. Bigger, better, louder but actually what we need is the original done properly and not treat people like morons as Snyder did with the squid! I guess the problem is Alan Moore as always and it was a very long time ago. How about an up to date Watchmen? We just don’t have the context. Trump is just a hopeless con man, he’s not going to nuke anyone while he’s wiping his arse with his iPhone. Nixon by contrast was actually a huge part of the Cold War!
By maxlevel
Found the 1998 Ring on shudder, and it’s still pretty good. But THAT sound effect in the black and white footage ‘reveal’ is still ridiculous. i last watched the film in our old flat in 2005. Memories!
By inksb
maxlevel wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:20 am Found the 1998 Ring on shudder, and it’s still pretty good. But THAT sound effect in the black and white footage ‘reveal’ is still ridiculous. i last watched the film in our old flat in 2005. Memories!
Agreed. I picked up the Arrow Ring boxset. I thought the first film held up really well. If you haven't seen Noroi The Curse, it's on Shudder and one of the better Japanese horror films of that era (even though it was a little later).
By ScoJo
Ho-lee ole Jesus.

Just came out of BFI, conversation with Tim Burton on his film's soundtracks, followed by a surprise film chosen by him... which was Ed Wood in 35mm!!

Im in fucking heaven.
By inksb
That sounds fantastic. I've always wanted to see Ed Wood on the big screen
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:41 pm Ho-lee ole Jesus.

Just came out of BFI, conversation with Tim Burton on his film's soundtracks, followed by a surprise film chosen by him... which was Ed Wood in 35mm!!

Im in fucking heaven.
That’s awesome! It’s his best film IMO
By ScoJo
It sure is! What an utter treat to see a slightly worn print with somewhat crackly sound- it really made the whole film feel like you couldnt say for sure when it was produced, and wildly in keeping with feel of the subject/actual EW films. And my god is was hilarious in a packed theatre!
Tim intro'd it by saying 'if you look at this film, cryptically, you can find out everything you need to know about me'
By maxlevel
Love Ed Wood! On the flip side of that high brow I just got two tickets to see Wrath of Khan with William Shatner
By Bezulsqy
^Love Ed Wood also. Been a while.

Saturday I watched Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and really enjoyed it. Best MI up till then. Next week I will watch the last one.

Yesterday I finally got to see (in glorious 4K) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
After finishing I felt it was one of Tarantino's best. Same vein as Pulp Fiction. Really loved it. The details were fantastic. From all the cars and scenery through the Italian movie posters/titles.
By maxlevel
I love the recent MI films. Saw a new Bond trailer at the weekend and I’m sure it’ll be fine. A work acquaintance tells me 1917 is something else, but a different one tells me Deakins is phoning it in again...

I just got wind of a Live Die Repeat sequel/reboot something coming. UK shooting next summer
By ScoJo
maxlevel wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:09 am I just got wind of a Live Die Repeat sequel/reboot something coming. UK shooting next summer
Loved the first one. Paxton will be missed in Part Deux.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:11 pm
maxlevel wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:09 am I just got wind of a Live Die Repeat sequel/reboot something coming. UK shooting next summer
Loved the first one. Paxton will be missed in Part Deux.
Is this Edge of Tomorrow?

I need to get back into SciFi/Action flicks... I do have Ad Astra ready to watch.