A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By static14
Bubba Ho-Tep
Attachments
DF8C8431-A445-4F5A-88CA-39E288DBCB5F.jpeg
DF8C8431-A445-4F5A-88CA-39E288DBCB5F.jpeg (209.67 KiB) Viewed 865 times
By Bezulsqy
static14 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:10 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:42 am
static14 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:55 pmBubba Ho-Tep
How is this one? I have never seen it before.
Really?! Get on it. It's a ton of fun. :)
Haha. That's all the encouragement I need.
By static14
EvanCampbell wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:17 pm I have not seen that one as well. I have heard it is really fun.
Old Elvis and black JFK in an old folks home fighting a mummy in cowboy boots and a pimp hat. Need I say more?
By EvanCampbell
Chris my ex worked on that film as a project coordinator and she is not really into film or any knowledge of the director and I occasionally joke envy her credit. Yeah many have told me it is eally enjoyable. Will get to it
By static14
:) Oh my god, I can only imagine you would have had a blast working on it. It's all practical and make up effects.
By inksb

The Outwaters dir by Robbie Banfitch

I saw a review of this film that started out by saying "If you like found footage films you'll love this, if you don't then you'll hate it". I found that interesting as I think that's a weird qualification for a film, most found footage movies I've enjoyed utilize the format in a clever way that was engaging or at least had extremely entertaining concept that the framing of found footage didn't really matter. Well I won't lay out that generic of a statement for a quantifier of this movie but what I will do is warn you that this one is 1hr50min long and boy oh boy does it feel like an eternity. I think the concept here is really good and once the shit hits the fan it's extremely engaging (although a little frustrating which I'll touch on shortly). The films main issue is that it was written, directed, produced, filmed and edited by one person, a commendable achievement to be honest but as many of us know an editor can really make or break a film and this one really could have benefitted from some one that was not engrained in every single aspect of the film. There's a killer 90 minute movie in here and one that I think a better editor could have shaped out of the footage shot. It takes 54 minutes before something happens at all, that first 54 minutes are used to "build" the characters but in reality we just get really long drawn out shots of them doing random things, it's a weird and bad choice, since we actually don't get any real info on these people and there is no emotional connection to them for when shit gets crazy. What they actually had was 15 minutes of useful footage that should have been used instead of 54 minutes of long boring hand cam shots. But the insanity that ensues after the hour mark is well worth sitting through, it's weird, kind of trippy and at times unnerving. Unfortunately it suffers from being too bloated and a problem with flash light lighting, they use LED flashlights with hyper concentrated beams to make it so you only see this tiny illuminated circle during the night scenes and it's just too much over the course of the film. It ends up losing it's effectiveness pretty quickly and will probably just annoy you by the end. All that said this is an interesting film and worth checking out.

The Dead & The Deadly dir by Wu Ma

Written by Sammo as well as starring him, The Dead & The Deadly continues off the success of Encounter of the Spooky Kind from two years prior. Sammo taking the Horror Comedy Martial Arts film and pushing further into the comedy side of things. I actually hadn't heard of this one until it was announced for bluray, my Sammo early years knowledge is pretty limited so I blindly grabbed this based on my enjoyment of Encounter and it was well worth my money. It's an absolute blast, Sammo is ridiculous here, it starts with him trying to scare his dead friends wife as a way to keep her from being an adulterer, he is found out and then the ghost of his friend actually shows up and murders his wife and her lover. From there it turns into Sammo investigating the murder of some one he thinks was poisoned but everyone is stating it was natural causes, when it reality it's some one trying to fake their death to get money. Hijinks ensue, murder actually happens and ghost of weird alien design appear. A few fun fight scenes, some goofy animated effects for good measure and an excellent ending only HK films of the era could pull off. Highly recommend this one if you're into early 80's HK and/or Sammo Hung.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:14 pm Image

The Outwaters dir by Robbie Banfitch
How did you view The Outwaters @inks? Was it Screambox? That platform is unavailable in UK and seems to be the only streaming option just now... I'm dying to see this, skipped most of your review.

(DM me if need be, wink wink ;-)
By EvanCampbell
inksb as I have said several times I really enjoy these very even handed reviews you post to so many films I have never heard of. My knowledge of Asian cinema is limited, so it is fun to discover these here.
By inksb
EvanCampbell wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:20 am inksb as I have said several times I really enjoy these very even handed reviews you post to so many films I have never heard of. My knowledge of Asian cinema is limited, so it is fun to discover these here.
Glad you enjoy them and I'm happy people even take the time to read them. I have a lot more Asian films to watch sitting on my shelf so there will be plenty for the foreseeable future.

I'm hoping to catch Knock at the Cabin tomorrow with a buddy of mine if the weather stays alright. I'm really interested to see that as I enjoyed the book and the cast look pretty great.
By Bezulsqy
@Inksb
I agree with Evan. Always interesting to see what you are watching and how you feel about it.
By inksb

Knock At The Cabin dir by M. Night

This was really good. I think it may not be for everyone just like the novel wasn't for everyone but I thought it was well made, acted, shot and directed. I have a major issue which I'll discuss below in a spoiler section but overall this is a big recommend for everyone. If you don't know what it's about, basically a couple and their daughter are vacationing in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania at a cabin, they are visited by 4 people who claim that if they don't listen to them and make a descision then the apocalypse will occur over the next few days. The shining star here is Dave Bautista, I really enjoy him, he's proved himself over and over to be a good actor but this is probably his best role. Impressive through out the entire film. Now on to my major issue

SPOILER!!!!

So first thing to get out of the way is that the premise revolves around the two fathers and their daughter have to make a sacrifice and kill one of them willingly, not suicide, not accidental death to stop the apocalypse. In the final act of the book two characters fight over a gun and accidently shoot and kill the child. This causes major issues as they invaders claim since it was an accident then it won't stop the apocalypse from happening, one of the invaders ends up switching sides and killing one of the other invaders and as shit is going bad around them the two fathers leave carrying their daughter into a landscape of turmoil choosing to spend the potential apocalypse together, damning the human race if this is all true which it's left kind of ambiguous. The person who helped them also kills herself because even though her faith in their mission wavered, she still believed it in the end. The film does not kill the child (surprise surprise), changes some of the interactions and events with the invaders which doesn't make a huge difference but not killing the child kind of neuters the films final moments which ends up being the fathers decision to have one of them sacrifice themselves, again another change. Then we follow the remaining father and the daughter as they enter into town and all of the apocalypse like events happening have suddenly stopped, which confirms it was all real and they saved humanity. It's just too much a Hollywood all wrapped up in a bow ending with zero ambiguity which was super disappointing because they pretty much nailed everything else about the book.

Magnificent Warriors dir by David Chung

This is a fantastic action film led by the incredible Michelle Yeoh. It's almost nonstop action scenes with tons of impressive hand to hand combat, weapons and some crazy stunts thrown in. Michelle Yeoh's character is a pilot who is hired to fly into China near Tibet to help get a secret agent out of the area who is investigating Japan's occupation of the area. She then gets wrapped up in the events of this town and helping them defeat the Japanese occupation. It really is a fantastic film and one I was only vaguely aware of. US folks this was just released by 88 Films stateside on bluray and UK folks I believe it just came out from Eureka. Definitely pick this up if you're into HK action films.
By inksb
So I was listening to a podcast this morning and they were talking about Halloween 4 and it got me thinking about how fucking weird it is that I've seen every film in the Halloween franchise except part 4. No particular reason, I even own it on bluray and had it on DVD at one point. I have just never actually watched it.

Do any of you have weird holes in your film viewing? Like things you should have seen, know a ton about but just never actually watched it?
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:52 pm So I was listening to a podcast this morning and they were talking about Halloween 4 and it got me thinking about how fucking weird it is that I've seen every film in the Halloween franchise except part 4. No particular reason, I even own it on bluray and had it on DVD at one point. I have just never actually watched it.

Do any of you have weird holes in your film viewing? Like things you should have seen, know a ton about but just never actually watched it?
Every time I watch a film a hole is created :-)
For some reason I have a pretty bad memory for things I have seen. That's why I need to write down what I have watched. Most of the time I can even hardly remember the plot of something a week after I watched it.
By Bezulsqy
^ I believe I am too stupid for a movie like that. I really liked parts of it but on the whole for me it was too much of pretentious mumbo jumbo...
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:08 pm ^ I believe I am too stupid for a movie like that. I really liked parts of it but on the whole for me it was too much of pretentious mumbo jumbo...
☝🏼
By inksb
I enjoyed M3gan for what it was but not something I'd watch again. I loved Infinity Pool :) More Mia Goth being crazy please.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:29 pm I enjoyed M3gan for what it was but not something I'd watch again. I loved Infinity Pool :) More Mia Goth being crazy please.
Mia Goth was not the problem in Infinity Pool
By texasvinyl
Troll2

The actors all read their lines like stilted robots who don't speak english

I like it

NILBOG is a beautiful small town.

It definitely is not goblin spelled backwards. I am sure there will be ZERO goblins.
Attachments
PXL_20230304_044428482.jpg
PXL_20230304_044428482.jpg (688.11 KiB) Viewed 579 times