A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:20 am Alberto de Martino's 1969 Femmine insaziabili a.k.a. Carnal Circuit
excellent score by Bruno Nicolai

Incredible score!
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:09 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:20 am Alberto de Martino's 1969 Femmine insaziabili a.k.a. Carnal Circuit
excellent score by Bruno Nicolai

Incredible score!
Indeed. Excellent does not do it justice.
Some might call this essential
By Bezulsqy
Damiano Damiani's Una ragazza piuttosto complicata a.k.a. A Rather Comlicated Girl
score by Fabio Fabor

By ScoJo
About to rewatch - hoping it holds up, I thought it was an underseen little gem.

16CD2EB6-268C-4D20-BEFB-88CDE93D2D1B-914-000000EB499B74E4.jpg
16CD2EB6-268C-4D20-BEFB-88CDE93D2D1B-914-000000EB499B74E4.jpg (15.28 KiB) Viewed 3146 times

Made by Robert Harmon (The Hitcher), some really good creepy stuff
and well done cgi critters, has one of the most surprisingly bleak endings of the 2000s! I recommend, though as I say about to give a 2nd watch so maybe I'll be back here in 90 to say 'I was wrong!'
By inksb
That Django theme just gets stuck in your head. I need to pick that up on bluray.
By Jimmy_Mike
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:24 pm @tex - I watched this last night as well. I loved it. Thoughts?
I should clarify that I watched the 1966 version. Love that one too, Tex.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:00 pm I am doing it...

Well, what can I say - „Enjoy!“ probably doesn‘t make so much sense with this movie.

But looking forward to hearing if/how you liked it.
By Bezulsqy
Haha. I enjoyed it a lot. I have no idea why I had never seen it some many years ago... That Savini scene was unexpected and rather brilliant. Also loved the subway scene and the Rita scene. Really well made. I watched the 4K remaster and I haven't gotten a clue why this would need to be viewed in 4K but it did look mighty sharp.

Now the second part of my double bill:

By inksb
@bez is going for it!!!

I'm a little annoyed at Blue Underground. I upgraded my copy of The New York Ripper bluray earlier this year from an old scanner noise filled scan to the new 4K scan on bluray and was all fancy limited edition and then they turned around and released a 4K version of it 3-4 months later. I'm not buying it again right after picking it up. The bluray looks fantastic but it's just the fact I would have bought the 4K version had I known it was coming.
By texasvinyl
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:24 pm @tex - I watched this last night as well. I loved it. Thoughts?
I'm not sure it's my favorite Tarantino film though it might have the best music. I only made it through the first 20-30 minutes. It usually takes me a few days to get through a full movie.
By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:11 pm @bez is going for it!!!

I'm a little annoyed at Blue Underground. I upgraded my copy of The New York Ripper bluray earlier this year from an old scanner noise filled scan to the new 4K scan on bluray and was all fancy limited edition and then they turned around and released a 4K version of it 3-4 months later. I'm not buying it again right after picking it up. The bluray looks fantastic but it's just the fact I would have bought the 4K version had I known it was coming.
Can’t believe you are really doing it @Bez! :) :)

@Inksb: Yes, same here. And I also got their fancy blus of Maniac and Zombie. But I didn‘t get House by the Cemetery (and now caved in and ordered the UHD this week). They have changed that approach, though, so now they directly announce the UHDs.

Synapse needs to do the same thing, will not buy their overpriced Living Dead at Manchester Morgue steelbook and just wait for the inevitable true 4K version.
By Bezulsqy
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:04 pm
inksb wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:11 pm @bez is going for it!!!

Can’t believe you are really doing it @Bez! :) :)

@Inksb: Yes, same here. And I also got their fancy blus of Maniac and Zombie. But I didn‘t get House by the Cemetery (and now caved in and ordered the UHD this week). They have changed that approach, though, so now they directly announce the UHDs.

Synapse needs to do the same thing, will not buy their overpriced Living Dead at Manchester Morgue steelbook and just wait for the inevitable true 4K version.
The New York Ripper was not what I was expecting....
I did not like it during the first third of the movie. But it grew on me. After finishing it I read some insights by Troy Howarth in So Deadly, So Perverse Part 2. Happy to have finally seen it.
By deafmetal
Good lord, @Bez with the Maniac/NY Ripper double header. I feel filthy all the way ova' heah.
By static14
Paramount network is doing a F13 marathon. Watching Jason Takes Manhattan right now. :)
By inksb
I actually had time to watch some movies this weekend!

Premeired on Shudder this past week. I've heard a fair amount of praise for this one so I was excited to finally watch it. The set up is great, a guy get's attacked by a vampire but survives as the sun comes up he realizes he is becoming a vampire as his skin begins to burn, he runs to seek shelter from the sun and finds a shed. Next we experience this weird scene with the main character, everything is being overly acted and blown out of proportion, I thought to myself if this is what this is going to be like then I'm shutting it off. It ended up being a dream and he wakes up to his awful miserable life. From that point on the acting was normal for a pretty low budget affair. He discovers something is in his shed, sends his dog in to get it out only to have the dog torn to shreds. He locks the vampire in there and sets off with the rest of the film. Unfortunately from there they double down on the 80's/early 90's tropes, bullying, guy hung up on girl, girl used to be misfit now pretty, jock beats the fuck out of two misfit friends, abusive grandfather who hates having to take care of grandkid, bad muscle car, guy gets mad at friend for ruining chance to kiss girl he's loved since he was a little kid. Shit goes on forever. It was an ok film that could have been a lot more fun but instead chose to follow the worn out road map the previous 30 years have laid out. Also it abuses the "wake up from dream" trope, they did it 5 times. Watch if you're bored but don't expect too much out of it.

Korean found footage film that I've had recommended to me by a few friends. I'm not a big fan of found footage most of the time but when done well they are enjoyable. Add this one to one of the few I like. There is some creepy moments to be found with in, good characters and a decent amount of humor in the first half to make the group of people feel relatable. I wont' say much other than they try to live stream entering a room in a cursed asylum. You expect a lot of typical jump scares in films like this and while this does have them they are effective and they actually play with your expectations a little. There was one scene in particular that I loved, the character wakes up in room, looks around and sees something standing in the distance making very unnatural movements. First she looks away and then back, you expect a jump scare and it to be right on top of her, nope it's in the same spot just doing it's thing being creepy. She then moves through the room, the camera keeps perspective but is moving to the right, she stops and doesn't look around just sits there, the thing just moves back into her perspective but stays the same distance away, she does the look away two more times and it doesn't move, just stays there being creepy at a distance. Eventually it does move towards her but not in a jump scare "surprise it's right on top of you now" kind of way. I loved it and thought it was a brilliant way to mess with your expectations as a viewer. Worth a watch, it's available on prime in the US.

A new Jackie Chan bluray arrived from 88 Films last week and I had to make time for it. The Fearless Hyena, Jackie's directorial debut from 1979. You can tell it's from some one who hasn't directed before but honestly that doesn't matter, the film is 85% fight scenes and 15% plot. I had a blast watching this, even though it's humor based Jackie it's not full blown physical comedy like we get in the 80-90's. This is more humor during the fight scenes with the characters, lots of hitting people with their butts, Jackie messing with his opponents while they are trying very hard to fight seriously. There's the famous chop stick battle in this and it's an impressive scene, I can't imagine how many takes it took to get some of those moments. I highly recommend checking this out if you like the original Drunken Master, it's a natural follow up to that film. While not as good it's still a very enjoyable time.
By Bezulsqy
Umberto Lenzi's 1975 Gatti rossi in un labirinto di vetro a.k.a. Eyeball
score by Bruno Nicolai

I thought this wouldn't be an interesting giallo. Although it was a tad slow still very enjoyable. But the score steals the show of course.

By Bezulsqy
Antonio Bido's 1977 Il gatto dagli occhi di giada a.k.a. Watch Me When I Kill
score by Trans Europa Express

By Bezulsqy
William Rose's 1974 La casa della paura a.k.a. The Girl in Room 2-A
score by Berto Pisano

By Bezulsqy
Pasquale Elio Palumbo's 1975 La polizia brancola nel buio a.k.a. The Police Are Blundering in the Dark
score by Aldo Saitto

This was not good...

By ScoJo
Raised by Wolves, first episode.

Just..... wow.

28235292-2CBD-4F1F-9C59-A13BDFE47D0F-476-00000060E7366AE0.jpg
28235292-2CBD-4F1F-9C59-A13BDFE47D0F-476-00000060E7366AE0.jpg (109.97 KiB) Viewed 2960 times