A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
Humbug is a long time personal favorite of mine, one of my favorite episodes. The burgeoning goth kid and moody teenager in me was very serious minded about that show as a kid, but as an adult, that show truly shines when it’s making fun of itself, and Humbug is sort of one of the first examples of how fun it can be.

Always awesome to see your work in the wild, Evan! I just got an order of WED clay in, time to get back at it.
By EvanCampbell
Mateo 😃

Hatter that is awesome about the clay. Only advice I can give is just have fun. No pressure just simple fun. Cool to read you enjoy that episode. People over years seem to remember it when I mention it. Yeah I just started youtubimg them recently. Only seen about 5 episodes so far....one called Home was very creepy.
By Mateo Sanboval
I always found the two Toombs episodes from the first season great fun, but still creepy. We're into season 3 now at Casa De Sanboval (it's my better half's first viewing) and in the midst of a great campy run of eps about robot locusts from outer space and high school satanic cultists.
By EvanCampbell
Sounds like fun to me....especially the satanic high school kids. Wish high school was that interesting...all I can remember is staring out the window like Michael Myers
By Hatter313
Satanic high school is top 10 for me.
By Hatter313
static14 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:01 am @Evan Home is such a great episode.
Just passed “home” a few days ago. “Wonderful, wonderful”
By Mateo Sanboval
I'm sitting out the alien abduction/govt conspiracy eps this time through. They are just so overwrought and kind of ridiculous after a fashion. But the monster-of-the-week episodes? They are still largely a delight.
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:18 pm I'm sitting out the alien abduction/govt conspiracy eps this time through. They are just so overwrought and kind of ridiculous after a fashion. But the monster-of-the-week episodes? They are still largely a delight.
Yeah I had that flip a few years ago too. I like of lot of them and I enjoy the hell out of William Davis, so I’m doing most of them this time. My rule this watch through is it by the first break I don’t care, I skip to the next episode. Most of seasons 2-6 are great though so not a ton of that.
By tim28212
FYI

TCM is showing Black Christmas December 19th. Check your local listing for time.
By Bezulsqy
So last weekend we watched King of New York and after that my girlfriend wanted to see more movies with Cristopher Walken. Last Thursday we watched Nick of Time....
Well, that didn't really taste like more Walken for her. I actually found it a bit entertaining because it was rather bad. If that makes sense.

My girlfriend wanted to watch Hannah and her Sisters yesterday. I haven't seen a lot of Woody Allen films because I do not really like the idea of Woody Allen for some reason. That is completely based on my own prejudices. However, I did really like Hannah and her Sisters. So I might watch some more 70-80s Woody Allen movies.

I ended the evening with my first viewing of Friday the 13th VIII... It wasn't as bad as I thought it. But where is the gore? Aren't the kills form the first 3 Friday the 13th movies more brutal? I have the feeling that VII and VIII aren't as gruesome.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:12 pm So last weekend we watched King of New York and after that my girlfriend wanted to see more movies with Cristopher Walken. Last Thursday we watched Nick of Time....
Well, that didn't really taste like more Walken for her. I actually found it a bit entertaining because it was rather bad. If that makes sense.

My girlfriend wanted to watch Hannah and her Sisters yesterday. I haven't seen a lot of Woody Allen films because I do not really like the idea of Woody Allen for some reason. That is completely based on my own prejudices. However, I did really like Hannah and her Sisters. So I might watch some more 70-80s Woody Allen movies.

I ended the evening with my first viewing of Friday the 13th VIII... It wasn't as bad as I thought it. But where is the gore? Aren't the kills form the first 3 Friday the 13th movies more brutal? I have the feeling that VII and VIII aren't as gruesome.
Perhaps try the odd little cult film Search and Destroy, I love it and Walken is great in it. Also you should both check out his appearances on SNL as The Continental. Besides KofNY, my favourite film of his is Wild Side- he is utterly demented in that and has some INCREDIBLE scenes with Anne Heche and Stephen Bauer.

I've always been a big Woody fan, but it's problematic nowadays... ie his films are now unappealing to me, and well we both know the Other Reasons. Hannah is a masterpiece. 'I don't sell my paintings by the yard!' Peak Von Sydow! I highly rec'd both Husbands and Wives and Crimes and Misdemeanors if you liked Hannah.

The era of FVII and VIII was a brutal one... for censorship! Both self-infiucted by the films' producers and also by the MPAA. You can find the trimmed carnage on YT if you look around :)
By EvanCampbell
Scott is that the Walken film you mentioned way back that you said featured metamorphosis the alien factor in it? Got to check that out.
Also agree that Crimes and misdemeanors and Husband and wives are really great...two of my favorites from him. I also throw in Deconstructing Harry as great take from an artist perspective.
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:39 am Great Walken in a smaller role Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead.
Wicked fun flick. Everyone is eating the scenery it that one.
By Bezulsqy
Great tips everyone! Thank you.
I loved Thing to Do in Denver when Your Death but haven't seen that one in ages.

I have seen one other Woody Allen movie: Interiors and that one I liked as well. I think I have seen Annie Hall but can't really remember. I'll get all the others mentioned above.
By Bezulsqy
EvanCampbell wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:33 am Scott is that the Walken film you mentioned way back that you said featured metamorphosis the alien factor in it? Got to check that out.
Also agree that Crimes and misdemeanors and Husband and wives are really great...two of my favorites from him. I also throw in Deconstructing Harry as great take from an artist perspective.
Isn't that Communion you are referring to:
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:01 am
EvanCampbell wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:33 am Scott is that the Walken film you mentioned way back that you said featured metamorphosis the alien factor in it? Got to check that out.
O fuck I love Communion!!

But no, @Bez - Evan was absolutely correct, Search and Destroy utilizes clips from Metamorphosis ;-)
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:56 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:01 am
O fuck I love Communion!!

But no, @Bez - Evan was absolutely correct, Search and Destroy utilizes clips from Metamorphosis ;-)
This needs a good US Blu-ray release
By Hatter313
334578rpm wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:56 pm 'Member concerts?
What show was filmed?
By Bezulsqy
Watched Manhattan yesterday. I am starting to understand why people love Woody Allen...
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:43 pm Watched Manhattan yesterday. I am starting to understand why people love Woody Allen...
Fwiw, my all time favourites are:

STARDUST MEMORIES
LOVE AND DEATH
TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN
BROADWAY DANNY ROSE

But I love plenty of others. I currently have Manhattan Murder Mystery lined up to watch in the next few days too.
Last edited by ScoJo on Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.