A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
I was wondering if that was going to be to any good. Let's see if they can get me to watch past the half way point, which has been a hard thing for them to do since season 4.
By ScoJo
I tried AHS Apocalypse last night. Got 15min into first episode. It's..... laughably bad.

Anyone else psych'd for the Creepshow weekly series starting on Thursday? I have re-upped with Shudder just for the occassion :)
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:23 pm Anyone else psych'd for the Creepshow weekly series starting on Thursday? I have re-upped with Shudder just for the occassion :)
This guy right here. I have high hopes for it.
By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:09 pm I was wondering if that was going to be to any good. Let's see if they can get me to watch past the half way point, which has been a hard thing for them to do since season 4.
I‘ve only watched the first season of AHS completely, tried to watch two other seasons but stopped after some episodes. This one feels right, though. Some aspects that would put me off in another context (characters doing stupid things, a goofy backstory, „references“ to the subgenre...) are part of the fun here due to the subject matter. But it‘s of course possible that they will run out of steam after some episodes here as well.
By Hatter313
LOVED AHS season1, thought 2 was pretty cool, 3 was fun but started to get too much and i also bailed halfway through 4, never looked back although the conceit of this season kind of makes me want to give this a shot.
By Hatter313
oh, and i am VERY excited for creepshow
By ScoJo
Oh and to update my Marianne recommendation- finished the series, still highly recommend, they stick the landing in final episode.
By inksb
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:10 pm
inksb wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:09 pm I was wondering if that was going to be to any good. Let's see if they can get me to watch past the half way point, which has been a hard thing for them to do since season 4.
I‘ve only watched the first season of AHS completely, tried to watch two other seasons but stopped after some episodes. This one feels right, though. Some aspects that would put me off in another context (characters doing stupid things, a goofy backstory, „references“ to the subgenre...) are part of the fun here due to the subject matter. But it‘s of course possible that they will run out of steam after some episodes here as well.
So for me AHS is one of those shows that usually has a great idea for a season then can't come up with enough compelling story to keep it going or they decide to steer the season in a different direction around the mid way point that results in it going off the rails. S1, I could not stand, it was poorly written and seemed too infatuated with being clever rather than good story telling. I've tried to watch it twice and just didn't have it in me to finish it. S2 was their best season imo, it's the most cohesive and I enjoyed the story/cast. S3 started so strong but around the mid point just doesn't know what to do and fully collapses in on itself. S4 started out kind of promising but I just couldn't finish it, it felt all over the place and I just dropped it at some point. S5 I liked in concept but it never hooked me, I made it maybe 4 or 5 episodes in (Lady Gaga was surprisingly good in her role). S6 was frustrating, I liked the idea of actors and real life versions of the characters being portrayed but it hit that mid season change up and became complete shit, I got two episodes into the change and I just stopped. S7 did nothing for me, I stopped after 2 episodes, I have been told by friends it got better but it wasn't worth my time. S8 I did actually finish but more out of curiosity of what the hell they were trying to do by smashing all sorts of shit from previous seasons together, the answer was nothing worth watching.

I keep hoping they will do a whole season that's at least good but I have little faith in them, yet I still tune in for part of it every year...
By monsterworship
finally watched: SCORE: A Film Music Documentary

A def. feel good movie. Was interesting to see some of the crazy instruments people use.

its now available on Amazon Prime.
By Little Walter
monsterworship wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:03 pm finally watched: SCORE: A Film Music Documentary

A def. feel good movie. Was interesting to see some of the crazy instruments people use.

its now available on Amazon Prime.
This is what I needed to hear. Where was the live re-score of this at MondoCon?
By ScoJo
CREEPSHOW Ep 1 is up!

(please don't be shit)

(like the new Twilight Zone)

(and the new Pet Semetary)

(and and and)
By ScoJo
I mean, I could say A LOT, but will reserve all comment except:

When you think of Creepshow, what's a huge part of it in terms of it's tone/approach?

Humour.

Absolutely zilch humour in this version, tongue in cheek, camp, gruesome or otherwise.

Bitter disappointment for me.
By inksb
You guys are taking the wind right out of my sail today :(

Now I'm not as excited to watch it, but maybe because you lowered my expectations I'll find some enjoyment in there. Really bummed it's lacking humor.....
Last edited by inksb on Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By monsterworship
ScoJo wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:14 pm I mean, I could say A LOT, but will reserve all comment except:

When you think of Creepshow, what's a huge part of it in terms of it's tone/approach?

Humour.

Absolutely zilch humour in this version, tongue in cheek, camp, gruesome or otherwise.

Bitter disappointment for me.
sounds more like Sleepshow, amiright.
By inksb
So I watched the first episode of AHS new season. I hate the intro so much, it feel really off. Like it was made by some one that was told to make an 80's style intro for the show but have never watched a slasher movie and used other modern tv shows and youtube as a reference as their source of 80's content. Also they seem to not understand that 80's slashers were not the "stranger things" 80's. It's a very different distinction. In fact most of the important and good slashers of the decade were inspired by 70's era film making. It looks like it's going to deliver on the gore front, it did a very distinct F13th call back on one of the kills so some people involved in the production know some context but over all it feels like it's being made by people who don't care or understand what they are paying tribute to.

Does the music bother any one else? Slashers don't have pulsing 80's synth soundtracks like this, it takes me out every time the score comes in. The music isn't bad but just doesn't fit. I have no clue how they are going to stretch this concept out for a season, which means we are getting at least one if not two "twists"
By Hatter313
i liked Creepshow, but I agree I want to see some more humor in future episodes, its missing the camp right now, but I enjoyed it.
By ScoJo
Just didn't work for me at all. Bland writing, generic noughties horror music (that tbh might as well have been grabbed from a Youtube '10hour Suspense Horror' video) , the previously mentioned lack of 'ironic' tone - what else makes this specifically 'Creepshow'? Without the laughs/biggerthanlife acting/amazing comic book look? This looks and feels just like any other failed/generic horror anthology type show from the 90s onward. The whole thing just felt super cheap, without any of the wacked out imagination needed to elevate it.

(What it has is 'brand/fan recognition' elements- easter eggs, familiar faces, comic panel intros... all the geeky stuff horror junkies will eat up to distract from the bland writing and direction.)

Sorry to be so neg, but nahh. It said 'Creepshow' on the label, and tasted like 'Masters of Horror' (the worst ones!)

Eek.
Last edited by ScoJo on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
Great stuff, thanks Tim.

Bill in full flow, love it. He doesn't seem too impressed with her/NY Film Academy tho huh? Not surprised...
"William Friedkin- Director, Paper Moon"
?!!