A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
@hatter
Ahh... it's a shame that you've had some of the major King character/book references in this season spoiled already. A big part of the thrill for me this season so far (aside from it having a much more fun pace and tone) were the reveals which I just didn't see coming.
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:28 pm Now watching:

Screen shot 2019-10-22 at 16.12.37.png

So - until now, we have had various laserdisc rips of this film, all of them quite low res and blurry. Even the recent print available via Netflix is from the same source (and the UK Netflix one is even Pan and Scanned!)

But I have finally completed my full restoration project, based on the work of others, and it's now looking and sounding better than it ever has. Don't expect it to look like a Bluray, but it's a definite upgrade from what we have ever had previously.

I started with a 1080p upscale from a 720p TVrip, which a fan had already re-graded to better match the original laserdisc colouring (some TV prints have a weird magenta cast for some reason...)

But the sound on this version was horribly compressed and full of artefacts, so I removed it and re-sync'd much better audio from a previous laserdisc rip. I then did some thorough re-mixing and balancing of this track, addressing some of the notorious issues with quiet dialogue spots and super hot fx portions. Then gave it a full EQ.

Finally (and just 'because'), I totally rebuilt the opening Paramount logo and first few title cards in full 1080p HD, which involved building The Keep title logo in photoshop, as close as I possibly could to the original (which has always been in 'squiggle vision' and blurry due to the SD laserdisc-to-digital conversion.) For the opening Paramount logo screen, I stole the one from the Star Trek III 1080 bluray, since it was released around same time as The Keep and has same ident.

Phew! So I ended up with an upscaled 1080p 100GB Quicktime Pro file (eek) and then used some compression voodoo to get this down to a 10GB 15000 kbps .mp4 file.

If anyone wants it, I have dropped this file in my Google Drive - drop me an email and I will bounce you a d/load link :)

filmficciones (at) gmail
Scott, this hit the sweet spot tonight. Really nice mix of the score with the film. Well done.
By Jimmy_Mike
I watched Child’s Play (1988) with the boy last night. Popped his R cherry. He was scared, but in a good way. Brought out all the feels.
By deafmetal
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:33 pm I watched Child’s Play (1988) with the boy last night. Popped his R cherry. He was scared, but in a good way. Brought out all the feels.
That sounds like an inspired selection for the kid's first R-rated horror film.
By ScoJo
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:33 pm I watched Child’s Play (1988) with the boy last night. Popped his R cherry. He was scared, but in a good way. Brought out all the feels.
Good dad. Full marks.
By static14
Muh lady took me out to a double feature last night for my bday at the Alamo Drafthouse. Terminator and T2 in 4k. We only made it through Terminator (we’re old) but it looked and sounded fantastic! :)
By Hatter313
static14 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:49 pm Muh lady took me out to a double feature last night for my bday at the Alamo Drafthouse. Terminator and T2 in 4k. We only made it through Terminator (we’re old) but it looked and sounded fantastic! :)
Mine isn’t doing this double feature until the 11th, can’t wait!!
By ChrisMcQueen007
I would consider myself a Fulci aficionado, but I never got around to watching this one.

I‘m not expecting it to be as strong as Lizard in a Woman‘s Skin or Don‘t Torture a Duckling, but the first 10 minutes and the Ortolani score have me pretty much captivated.
Attachments
EBBE7FD7-50FA-43EA-AE73-8ED7CE6EBBF9.jpeg
EBBE7FD7-50FA-43EA-AE73-8ED7CE6EBBF9.jpeg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 2134 times
By static14
:)
Attachments
A4E9A8F0-76C4-42C9-91E0-EA98DB97637B.jpeg
A4E9A8F0-76C4-42C9-91E0-EA98DB97637B.jpeg (771.23 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
By inksb
I don't know what I'm doing with my life... How have I never seen this? How did I not know how amazing it is? I had so much fun watching this film.
By NathanLurker
They showed Phantom at Fantasia this year, I went to see it. I had seen it when I was very young, it's nice.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:02 pm Image
I don't know what I'm doing with my life... How have I never seen this? How did I not know how amazing it is? I had so much fun watching this film.
I refer you to my avatar and signature. This is one of my top 10 favorite films and has had an astounding impact on me, I am enormously thrilled that you’ve found it and liked it. Had the opportunity a few weeks ago to see a restored print with all the bad mattes covering the original swan song logos removed, with a Q and A afterwards with Ed pressman, Paul Williams, and Geritt Graham. Was also able to get Gerrit Graham to sign my LP.

I’m watching scary stories to watch in the dark right now and is a great little throwback, lots of fun and a nice middle ground between kids fare and adult horror. Good Halloween movie.
By Hatter313
static14 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:12 am:)
How’s the restoration? the blu ray was already stunning. Need to pick this up.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 pm
inksb wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:02 pm Image
I refer you to my avatar and signature. This is one of my top 10 favorite films and has had an astounding impact on me, I am enormously thrilled that you’ve found it and liked it. Had the opportunity a few weeks ago to see a restored print with all the bad mattes covering the original swan song logos removed, with a Q and A afterwards with Ed pressman, Paul Williams, and Geritt Graham. Was also able to get Gerrit Graham to sign my LP.

I’m watching scary stories to watch in the dark right now and is a great little throwback, lots of fun and a nice middle ground between kids fare and adult horror. Good Halloween movie.
It's funny the effect avatars have on me- when I read your posts, they are always in the voice of PW in my head ;)

Similarly, when I read @mateo's scribblings they're couched in the dour intonations of a severe-looking, long dead Scandinavian composer (whatever that sounds like).

(Avatar aside, @bez sounds like Goldmember of course... ;)

And- I approve of your Scary Tales... messaging, @hatter. I thought it was great fun.
By Hatter313
Thursday....today is Thursday
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:32 pm It's funny the effect avatars have on me- when I read your posts, they are always in the voice of PW in my head ;)

Similarly, when I read @mateo's scribblings they're couched in the dour intonations of a severe-looking, long dead Scandinavian composer (whatever that sounds like).

(Avatar aside, @bez sounds like Goldmember of course... ;)

And- I approve of your Scary Tales... messaging, @hatter. I thought it was great fun.
I do the same thing. And when people change their avatar icon it throws me off and I have to either adjust with the same voice in my head or create a new one based on your new icon.

Hatter313 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 pm I refer you to my avatar and signature. This is one of my top 10 favorite films and has had an astounding impact on me, I am enormously thrilled that you’ve found it and liked it. Had the opportunity a few weeks ago to see a restored print with all the bad mattes covering the original swan song logos removed, with a Q and A afterwards with Ed pressman, Paul Williams, and Geritt Graham. Was also able to get Gerrit Graham to sign my LP.

I now know what your avatar and signature mean. lol. Also I've seen Beef all over the internet in various forms and finally know what it's from. And a big take away from the film is Jessica Harper's sweet sweet dance moves. They are so bad and adorable I love it.
By Bezulsqy
Giuseppe Rosati's 1976 Paura in città a.k.a. Hot Stuff a.k.a. Fear in the City
score by Gian Paolo Chiti
starring Maurizio Merli

By Bezulsqy
Which one next...
Attachments
515E66C2-F337-4DF7-A658-BC7CE1E67238.jpeg
515E66C2-F337-4DF7-A658-BC7CE1E67238.jpeg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 2022 times
By Bezulsqy
Another Merli it is...

Stelvio Massi's 1977 Poliziotto sprint
score by Stelvio Cipriani

By chiefbrody
Thought it only right to watch something horror-ish tonight, so watching The Boy for the first time. Looks like fairly standard scares, but I'll see where it goes.