A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
^ that sounds very interesting @texas :-)
Never seen either Troll nor Troll 2...

Tonight I'm watching the Ultimate Cut of this one:

Only seen the regular version back when it came out on DVD I believe.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:58 pm Good luck @bez, it's a bit of haul to get through
I have to say it didn't feel as long as it was. Really liked it
By ScoJo
Saw this on vhs with a mate when I was about 11, think we both liked it.

Ive been waiting forever to finally see it in proper 3D - thanks to Shout Factory tonight was the night!!

(Film/acting = turgid, 3D = super fun! Quite a few effects that really got me/made me giggle)

The last ten minutes was a hoot when all hell breaks loose, like a 3D horror theme park ride! And man, I remembered Candy Clarke’s death in the car really vividly - still quite a shocker. Fantastic score by Howard Blake!

847FC093-2347-4BC5-81B7-89579798A18E.jpeg
847FC093-2347-4BC5-81B7-89579798A18E.jpeg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1064 times
By inksb

Bio Zombie dir by Wilson Yip

I'm pretty sure I have posted about this here before but I just picked up Vinegar Syndromes bluray release of this and it was incredible to see the film with properly translated subs and crystal clear image. The version I watched before was a VHS upscale I believe with burned in subs. It's a really fun HK zombie film that I would liken to Shaun of the Dead, two losers stumble into a zombie outbreak and have to kind of save the day but also don't. According to Wilson Yip this was the first zombie movie made in HK which is kind of crazy since it came out in 1998.

Also just finished the first season of Servant and was thoroughly entertained and horrified. Lauren Ambrose does such an incredible job playing a woman who I fucking despise. Actually every one of the cast members do a great job. Ronald Weasley playing a drunk drug addict.
By Bezulsqy
@inksb
I'll check out Bio Zombie. Sounds like a real blast.

Any recommendations for my evening viewing? I am going through my list but I am not sure yet what I feel like watching. Still have 3-4 hours to decide...

I am kinda feeling some action/scifi/...
Zack Snyder's Justice League (242 minutes long...) that should sort out my evening and I did like the Watchmen Ultimate Cut.

I also got the India Jones 4K releases. It has been ages since I watched those.

Or something different like a rewatch of Snatch, Donnie Darko or Memento...
I'd rather watch something I haven't yet seen though.

Or a couple of new horror flicks... I did get The Outwaters
And I see I have The Changeling 4K... never seen that one before.
I have most of the new horror titles ready to play: Sissy, Deadstream, Piggy, Sick, Attachement, Mad God, ...
Could watch 3 of those. Pfff.

For now I will settle on Justice League plus a new horror that is around 90 minutes long (Deadstream, Sick, Mad God, A Wounded Fawn)
By inksb
I watched Justice League in 2 or 3 sittings I think? It wasn't the train wreck I expected it to be, had some interesting stuff through out but also was super bloated and unnecessarily long. I think The Watchman Ultimate Cut was a much better viewing experience, even though it's long it was trying to cram as much of the source material in as it could even with it's weird changes.
By Bezulsqy

Watched this yesterday evening. After 20 minutes I was contemplating turning it off, but for some reason it kept watching it. Finished it in one go. I do not like most of the actors in this. Affleck Batman looks stupid. The guy who plays superman doesn't interest me. Before I watched this I only had seen Wonder Woman and Acquaman from the DC Universe.

Watched this just now... I do not know what to say or think.
I read your review @inskb again after watching it and I agree completely with you. Too long with interesting ideas but overall just too much of everything. And I don't get it. If the guy is tripping you wouldn't see of hear on the footage what he is experiencing seeing or hearing. If some strange shit is actually going on... well then I really don't know what to think about that :-)
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:47 pm Image

Watched this yesterday evening. After 20 minutes I was contemplating turning it off, but for some reason it kept watching it. Finished it in one go. I do not like most of the actors in this. Affleck Batman looks stupid. The guy who plays superman doesn't interest me. Before I watched this I only had seen Wonder Woman and Acquaman from the DC Universe.

Watched this just now... I do not know what to say or think.
I read your review @inskb again after watching it and I agree completely with you. Too long with interesting ideas but overall just too much of everything. And I don't get it. If the guy is tripping you wouldn't see of hear on the footage what he is experiencing seeing or hearing. If some strange shit is actually going on... well then I really don't know what to think about that :-)
It’s a time portal
By Bezulsqy
A time portal....
pffff
Why didn't I see that?

I see they are talking about acid en I see a gasmask at one point so I figure they are intoxicated by something. Oh well.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:51 pm Saw this on vhs with a mate when I was about 11, think we both liked it.

Ive been waiting forever to finally see it in proper 3D - thanks to Shout Factory tonight was the night!!

(Film/acting = turgid, 3D = super fun! Quite a few effects that really got me/made me giggle)

The last ten minutes was a hoot when all hell breaks loose, like a 3D horror theme park ride! And man, I remembered Candy Clarke’s death in the car really vividly - still quite a shocker. Fantastic score by Howard Blake!

The opening seance scene is like a scooby doo scene, the tonal shift in those movies are quite something. still adore the original for its local setting, its 70s vibes and its absolutely killer Shifrin score, but 3-d is a hoot and a half
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:30 pm
ScoJo wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:51 pm Saw this on vhs with a mate when I was about 11, think we both liked it.

The opening seance scene is like a scooby doo scene, the tonal shift in those movies are quite something. still adore the original for its local setting, its 70s vibes and its absolutely killer Shifrin score, but 3-d is a hoot and a half
I’m on a huge ‘classic 3D’ kick right now, finally aquiring some grail movies I have always dreamed of… Flesh for Frankenstein, House of Wax, Metalstorm, Parasite, The Maze, Silent Madness are only my latest gets. I convert over/under 3D files, change them to side by side in an editing program, then view the results with VLC player and it’s Anaglyph function. Pure bliss.

I think the only ‘2nd Golden Era of 3D 80s’ stereo film I’ve yet to find is Spacehunter - Adventures in the Forbidden Zone which I’m desperate to see.

I have a viewing of Creature From The Black Lagoon planned for this week in tribute to Rico (RIP)
By Hatter313
love this.
By Bezulsqy
During most of this one I was thinking that I am too old for this...
I wanted to shut it off after 30 minutes. But ended up finishing it. I am not recommending this but I can sort of understand that people like it. But seeing that guys face from that close by constantly is a bit much for me.

By inksb
Yeah, I almost shut that one off too, really hate the whole "streamer" thing but it is pretty fun and entertaining at times. There's a lot of fun references with a few great "scares". I laughed really hard at him running out the second floor side of the house and falling to the ground.
By inksb
I watched the trailer for that a few days ago, can't wait to check it out, it looked really good
By Bezulsqy
^ I loved Sunshine!

Tonight me and my girl watched Tár
She went to bed and now I am watching this one:

By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:16 pm ^ I loved Sunshine!

What an evening! ALLIGA-TÁR!!
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:46 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:16 pm ^ I loved Sunshine!

What an evening! ALLIGA-TÁR!!
Damn @ScoJo!
By inksb

Scream VI dir by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin & Tyler Gillett (Radio Silence)

Did you like Scream 5? You'll probably like 6. Did you hate Scream 5? Then you probably won't like this one. I enjoyed 5 even though I had some issues with it. Part 6 opens with my favorite young "scream queen" Samara Weaving meeting her end quite quickly in a callback/twist with a bit too many on the nose references for my taste (in case you guys didn't know the folks who wrote the film love horror movies, just love them). We basically get Jason Takes Manhattan'ed here. The film takes place in NYC but is kind of just shot in 4 main locations, a college, apartment, old theater and park. There's only two real indicators that you're in NYC, the subway scene and a bodega scene. The film does not shy away from the violence, they revel in making you squirm. The actress playing Sam is less of a wooden board this time around and has some actual emotion. Jenna was great and probably the best character in the movie (again), it was fun to see Hayden return as Kirby even though she shot her face so full of botox I couldn't stop looking at her immobilized face. Most of the side characters were pretty good. The killer was not too hard to guess but I will say part of the reveal I didn't see coming. It's a fun continuation of the franchise and I recommend it if you were a fan of the last one. I had a blast watching it in the theaters even though there were maybe 7 people in there total.