A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
I recently re-watched No Country for Old Men and it sent me on a modern Western kick. These have all been a lot of fun to watch or revisit, most for the first time:

Unforgiven (1992)
Tombstone (1993)
The Proposition (2005)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
Appaloosa (2008)
The Homesman (2014)
The Revenant (2015)
Slow West (2015)

Quite a mix of styles or sub-genres or whatever, but all enjoyable. The Revenant in particular was quite a viewing, and many of you know how good the music is on that one. Interesting compared to the total lack of background score on No Country. I have watched 3:10 to Yuma, Assassination of JJ, Bone Tomahawk, Dead Man, Django Unchained, Hateful Eight, and True Grit around the time they were originally released. I might check out Meek's Cutoff next.
By Bezulsqy
deafmetal wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:46 pm I recently re-watched No Country for Old Men and it sent me on a modern Western kick. These have all been a lot of fun to watch or revisit, most for the first time:

Unforgiven (1992)
Tombstone (1993)
The Proposition (2005)
Appaloosa (2008)
The Homesman (2014)
The Revenant (2015)
Slow West (2015)

Quite a mix of styles or sub-genres or whatever, but all enjoyable. The Revenant in particular was quite a viewing, and many of you know how good the music is on that one. Interesting compared to the total lack of background score on No Country. I have watched 3:10 to Yuma, Assassination of JJ, Bone Tomahawk, Dead Man, Django Unchained, Hateful Eight, and True Grit around the time they were originally released. I might check out Meek's Cutoff next.
Excellent idea @Deaf!
I remember watching the Revenant in the theater when it came out. I was all alone. It was my first movie with atmos. During the scene where DiCaprio is wounded and laying next to a fireplace the shot moves to the two men around the fire and DiCaprio is out of view. You then hear some coughing and I instinctively turned around because it was someone sitting behind me in the theater... but it was DiCaprio out of shot.
Loved that movie.
No Country for Old Men is one my girlfriend's the favorite.
I still need to watch 1/3 of the movies you mentioned.
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:46 pm I recently re-watched No Country for Old Men and it sent me on a modern Western kick. These have all been a lot of fun to watch or revisit, most for the first time:

Unforgiven (1992)
Tombstone (1993)
The Proposition (2005)
Appaloosa (2008)
The Homesman (2014)
The Revenant (2015)
Slow West (2015)

Open Range, Three Burials, Thunderheart and Lone Star are definitely worthy additions, along with Walter Hill’s Wild Bill and Geronimo. Some fun favourites of mine that are older (80s/early 90s) but still fit the brief are Straight to Hell, Quick and the Dead and Silverado. And I would also shoehorn Dust Devil in there, an ‘African’ Western if you will.

Get Dusty!
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:21 pm
Open Range, Three Burials, Thunderheart and Lone Star are definitely worthy additions, along with Walter Hill’s Wild Bill and Geronimo. Some fun favourites of mine that are older (80s/early 90s) but still fit the brief are Straight to Hell, Quick and the Dead and Silverado. And I would also shoehorn Dust Devil in there, an ‘African’ Western if you will.

Get Dusty!
@ScoJo - Thank you for the list. The only ones I have seen are Dust Devil and Quick and the Dead which were excellent.

@Bez - The sound mix overall in the film was very engaging. Sakamoto's main theme is one for the ages imho.
By EvanCampbell
Scott who was the composer that originally worked on the exorcist soundtrack that friedkin thru the reels off a roof..was it Einhorn?
By ScoJo
Belated tribute watch this am.

AE560F25-1352-4265-A062-7DD5615581E1.jpeg
AE560F25-1352-4265-A062-7DD5615581E1.jpeg (258.01 KiB) Viewed 642 times
By ScoJo
EvanCampbell wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:56 pm Thanks fellas!
Evan!

To hear the story of this score ‘AND I THREW THE REELS OUT OF THE WINDOW!!’ and so many more astonishing tales from a demented master, I cannot recommend enough The Friedkin Experience biog. I have the audio book mp3s, hit me up if you want em :)
By Bezulsqy
Finally found a watchable copy of this giallo. Although you know the identity of the killer early on it still felt like a decent giallo. And a great score.

Mario Moroni's 1974 Ciak...si muore a.k.a. Clap, You're Dead
score by Aldo Buonocore

By Bezulsqy
We watched The Iron Claw yesterday. Absolutely loved it. Such a tragic story. Loved how it looked and sounded. Great acting. Highly recommended.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:23 am We watched The Iron Claw yesterday. Absolutely loved it. Such a tragic story. Loved how it looked and sounded. Great acting. Highly recommended.
Was hoping to get to this last weekend but forgot. Hopefully this weekend.

I just came across a 35mm scan of Argento's Inferno. Looking forward to watching it. I skimmed bits of it, the opening is insanely damaged with lots of scratched on the film but after a few minutes it settles down and looks pretty good. I'm sure there will be more rough parts especially around the reel changes but I rather enjoy watching these 35mm print scans when I come across them.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:31 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:23 am We watched The Iron Claw yesterday. Absolutely loved it. Such a tragic story. Loved how it looked and sounded. Great acting. Highly recommended.

I just came across a 35mm scan of Argento's Inferno. Looking forward to watching it. I skimmed bits of it, the opening is insanely damaged with lots of scratched on the film but after a few minutes it settles down and looks pretty good. I'm sure there will be more rough parts especially around the reel changes but I rather enjoy watching these 35mm print scans when I come across them.
That sounds very interesting as well. But I have to say that I do prefer watching newer polished versions of movies. But I would love to see an actual 35mm print in a projector.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:09 pm

That sounds very interesting as well. But I have to say that I do prefer watching newer polished versions of movies. But I would love to see an actual 35mm print in a projector.
Nice!

But in any case Inferno needs a proper 4K release, that's one of the few Argento's that still hasn't received that treatment.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:09 pm

Absolutely. I love seeing new cleaned up transfers but I like to watch old print preservation as well. I used to live near a theater that did monthly horror/sci-fi/action 35mm screenings and it was a lot of fun. I saw the most beat up print of Critters.
By Chuggers
Don't do a lot of posting here, I'm so far behind on regular viewing since our daughter was born that I'm just collecting recs for a rainy season somewhere down the road. But managed to watch El Conde (spread out over the course of three nights) and I was just blown away. So well done, so beautifully shot. It's been on Netflix since September, one of the best new genre films I've seen in quite a while......which, I realize there's no emphasis to that statement whatsoever with the way I introduced the post. All the best fellas
By Bezulsqy
Chuggers wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:07 am Don't do a lot of posting here, I'm so far behind on regular viewing since our daughter was born that I'm just collecting recs for a rainy season somewhere down the road. But managed to watch El Conde (spread out over the course of three nights) and I was just blown away. So well done, so beautifully shot. It's been on Netflix since September, one of the best new genre films I've seen in quite a while......which, I realize there's no emphasis to that statement whatsoever with the way I introduced the post. All the best fellas
Good luck with your newborn :-)
Thanks for reminding me to check out El Conde. Has been on my list for a while.
Take care and have a great weekend.
I am going to start with a Psycho double…
By ScoJo
You HAVE to make it a triple, Ben! Psycho III is just too good.

Zone of Interest completely undid me, I was climbing out of my skin within ten minutes. Another astonishing work by Glazer. The sound designer on that film must have gone totally insane. Bone chilling.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:17 pm You HAVE to make it a triple, Ben! Psycho III is just too good.

Zone of Interest completely undid me, I was climbing out of my skin within ten minutes. Another astonishing work by Glazer. The sound designer on that film must have gone totally insane. Bone chilling.
Too late for me to continue with part 3. Maybe tomorrow and otherwise somewhere coming week.

I am postponing Zone of Interest till I can get my girlfriend to watch it. And that might take a while…
By Chuggers
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:36 pm
Chuggers wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:07 am Don't do a lot of posting here, I'm so far behind on regular viewing since our daughter was born that I'm just collecting recs for a rainy season somewhere down the road. But managed to watch El Conde (spread out over the course of three nights) and I was just blown away. So well done, so beautifully shot. It's been on Netflix since September, one of the best new genre films I've seen in quite a while......which, I realize there's no emphasis to that statement whatsoever with the way I introduced the post. All the best fellas

Good luck with your newborn :-)
Thanks for reminding me to check out El Conde. Has been on my list for a while.
Take care and have a great weekend.
I am going to start with a Psycho double…

Thanks Bez! The PSYCHO films are personal favorites!