A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
A little proto-seasonal horror from ‘72.

5A831488-A3A9-438F-86C7-BB1BF219F636.jpeg
5A831488-A3A9-438F-86C7-BB1BF219F636.jpeg (51.62 KiB) Viewed 1003 times

Aka Silent Night, Bloody Night
By Bezulsqy
Past couple of days I watched some stuff with the family:

The Holdovers
Really loved this movie. Funny and smart.

Are you there God? It's me, Margaret.
Also really loved this one. I am a sucker for these coming of age movies.

Point Break
My stepson and my girlfriend had never seen this one, so I decided to put it on. Still a great movie. Makes me want to rewatch more old Keanu movies. I have Chain Reaction and Johhny Mnemonic ready to play.

Just now I finished watching a really nice documentary about Joe D'Amato: Inferno Rosso: Joe D'Amato on the Road of Excess.
Very nice insight about who he was and about the Italian genre films in general. Only 70 mins long.

@inksb
I am very curious to hear you tell about Long Arm of the Law. I noticed you really liked it. I have that one and part 2 (but that appears to be by another director).
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:25 pm @inksb
I am very curious to hear you tell about Long Arm of the Law. I noticed you really liked it. I have that one and part 2 (but that appears to be by another director).
I meant to write some stuff up last week but got busy and didn't have a chance. I'm gonna do some short write ups below though.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 094219.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-03 094219.jpg (91.61 KiB) Viewed 873 times

Long Arm of the Law dir by Johnny Mak

Another HK film I knew next to nothing about but have seen praise occassionaly over the years so I grabbed the recent bluray release from 88 Films. It's an incredibly impressive action film, good pacing, great action beats, acting is strong and overall just really great film. Highly recommended to any one who likes HK action, in particular more gun fight oriented action. No big stunt type stuff.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 094118.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-03 094118.jpg (123.83 KiB) Viewed 873 times

Dellamorte Dellamore dir by Michele Soavi

One of my favorite films. I fell in love with this one in college when a friend of mine discovered I had never seen it and forced me to sit down immediately and watch it. I just got Severin's recently 4K UHD and it's a fantastic transfer, day time scenes look excellent, some of the night shots are soft and grainy but that's just the source. This is huge step up from the German blu I had years ago which you could barely see anything in the night time shots. Highly recommend grabbing this if you're a fan.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 093644.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-03 093644.jpg (64.6 KiB) Viewed 873 times

Thanksgiving dir by Eli Roth

This was much better than expected and pretty fun all around. The cast is stacked full of Roth's typical bro douche characters that you can't wait to see murdered and boy do a lot of them get murdered. It's funny, I feel like ever since Cabin Fever Roth has been unable to keep the balance of douchey terrible characters to ones you want to see survive in check, it always tips too far to unlikeable (both Hostels, Green Inferno and this). It's nice to have another Thanksgiving horror film that's not absolute dreck, I'll enjoy revisiting every few years.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 093611.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-03 093611.jpg (55.52 KiB) Viewed 873 times

Dream Scenario

The trailer feels a little misleading on this, I don't think purposefully but it implied this one was going a certain direction and it never does. It's an awkward film through out and has good performances from everyone involved, Cage is very strong here in his pushy neurotic passive aggressiveness. I don't think the whole thing really landed for me and didn't go where I wanted it to but it's well worth a watch. And there's one scene that will probably always stick in my brain lol.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 095513.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-03 095513.jpg (95.44 KiB) Viewed 873 times

Silent Night dir by John Woo

This was bad, one of the worst "scripts" I've seen brought to the screen in a long time. The whole no dialog gimmick doesn't make an ounce of sense bc the main character is mute not fucking deaf so there's no reason to have no dialog, he can hear just fine lol. The portraying of LA "gang bangers" feels so dated, I have no idea what they were going for there (imagine early 00's TV renditions of said stereotype). It unfortunately has the worst climax/final fight scene I've seen in a long time. With all of that negative said the positive is that John Woo can still direct the absolute hell out of an action scene regardless of how fucking dumb it all is. It's unfortunate this was his return to American cinema. Also I find it hilarious we as a viewer are expected to believe that Joel Kinnaman is unable to do a single pull up which then sets off a big training montage in which it culminates in that hulking human being doing lots of pullups and throwing kettlebells around with his shirt off. It's so absurd
By ScoJo
Tonight, on blu:

C9342FA5-A252-40A5-B7C9-BC335912C3C3.jpeg
C9342FA5-A252-40A5-B7C9-BC335912C3C3.jpeg (72.34 KiB) Viewed 860 times

Crazy crazy film. Shot by Robert (The Hitcher) Harmon. All kinds of pervy and weird.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:03 pm Tonight, on blu:

C9342FA5-A252-40A5-B7C9-BC335912C3C3.jpeg

Crazy crazy film. Shot by Robert (The Hitcher) Harmon. All kinds of pervy and weird.
I've been waiting for a rip of the new Vinegar Syndrome blu to surface online. Must be it has since you got a copy. I've been wanting to see this for years after hearing about it on a podcast. I don't think it ever got a release past VHS until now.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:33 pm I got the blu :)
I was gonna buy the blu but I had already spent $65 that day on Cemetery Man UHD so I skipped it
By Bezulsqy
Didn't make screenshots this time but last Saturday I watched 4 movies...

The Magic Crystal... I had no idea what this was but I didn't know what to watch and decided on this one. @Inksb probably knows a lot about this. The fighting choreography is exceptional. A lot of fun this one.

Next was the last movie made by William Friedkin. The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial. I didn't even know this movie was released last year until the day before I watched it. And I knew nothing more about it before pressing play. The first ten minutes I was wondering when it would start... But after that start it did captivate me. Really well done courtroom drama.

Didn't know what to watch next. Wanted something like a more simple action thriller. ScoJo mentioned this one, and he was right. Fun flick and my subwoofer was very busy with all the gunshots: Den of Thieves.

Ended the night with Thanksgiving. I thought this was a lot of fun. Can't say a lot more about it than that. Simply a very enjoyable and fun horror flick.
By inksb
I've seen clips of Magic Crystal but haven't watched it yet. On the list for sure.
By zuko
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:25 pm The Holdovers
Really loved this movie. Funny and smart.

Are you there God? It's me, Margaret.
Also really loved this one. I am a sucker for these coming of age movies.
Really looking forward to Holdovers (it’s not out here yet) and need to catch Margaret
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:38 pm I've seen clips of Magic Crystal but haven't watched it yet. On the list for sure.
Before pressing play I didn't know it was a HK fighting flick... I thought it was a fantasy movie. And reading up on it, I see the director and/or main lead are really well known in the kick-ass genre.
I need to look for more of these type of movies. Although I don't really care for the funny bits in it. The fighting is exceptional.
By Bezulsqy
Friday we watched Monster (Kaibutsu).
Truly great movie. Highly recommended. I am going to check out some more movies by Hirokazu Kore-eda. I remember Shoplifters got high praise. And Broker sounds very interesting as well.

By Bezulsqy
Saturday I watched Heat. It has been many years since I last saw it. I forgot it was three hours long. But didn't feel like it. Brilliant movie.

Sunday I watched Megalomaniac, a Belgian horror from 2023. I really liked it, but I am not sure how others would feel. Being Belgian and recognizing a lot of that type of scenery when growing up, had a lot to do with it. Also really like the score. A bit industrial sounding. Would definitely get that if it was out on vinyl.

By Chuggers
Out of curiosity, has anyone here done something tantamount to Bez's last couple viewing projects (Werewolves, Italian SciFi 2024) but in the Noir genre? My memory is failing me as I look back through these pages.....my memory is failing me regardless lol.

I know there's plenty of lists and sites I can peruse but I'd take your opinions and lists at a much higher regard than I would those. All the best ya'll
By Bezulsqy
Chuggers wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:05 pm Out of curiosity, has anyone here done something tantamount to Bez's last couple viewing projects (Werewolves, Italian SciFi 2024) but in the Noir genre? My memory is failing me as I look back through these pages.....my memory is failing me regardless lol.

I know there's plenty of lists and sites I can peruse but I'd take your opinions and lists at a much higher regard than I would those. All the best ya'll
haha
I had look up the word 'tantamount'

I started with my Noir journey, but for some reason I stopped after 10 or 15 movies. I do base my choices mostly on info that is already out there. And I am not much of a film critic. I am on Letterboxd since last year but only started to rate the movies I am watching since I joined. And I don't write reviews.
By ScoJo
Chuggers wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:05 pm Out of curiosity, has anyone here done something tantamount to Bez's last couple viewing projects (Werewolves, Italian SciFi 2024) but in the Noir genre? My memory is failing me as I look back through these pages.....my memory is failing me regardless lol.

I feel a little bit of deja vu adding my noir voice/list on the forum, but maybe not! (I know there was some healthy neo-noir chatter last year…)

Off the top of my dome, some faves:

PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET
LAURA
THE BIG COMBO
GUN CRAZY
BLAST OF SILENCE
THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW
LADY IN THE LAKE
THE KILLING
DARK PASSAGE
DETOUR
KISS ME DEADLY
DOA
THE HITCHIKER
THE SET UP
ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW
FORCE OF EVIL
NIGHT AND THE CITY
OUT OF THE PAST
By Chuggers
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:29 pm

haha
I had look up the word 'tantamount'

I started with my Noir journey, but for some reason I stopped after 10 or 15 movies. I do base my choices mostly on info that is already out there. And I am not much of a film critic. I am on Letterboxd since last year but only started to rate the movies I am watching since I joined. And I don't write reviews.

I thought it was you Bez, just didn't go back far enough! Your recommendations interest me far more than your reviews as I tend to ignore reviews altogether until I've experienced the thing for myself...I tend to keep opinions to myself for the same reason. The titles here amongst this group however, whether its movies, lps, or books, I'm generally interested in.

Did you have a couple standouts that you saw, I appreciate the response!
By Chuggers
ScoJo wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:27 pm

I feel a little bit of deja vu adding my noir voice/list on the forum, but maybe not! (I know there was some healthy neo-noir chatter last year…)

PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET
LAURA
THE BIG COMBO
GUN CRAZY
BLAST OF SILENCE
THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW
LADY IN THE LAKE
THE KILLING
DARK PASSAGE
DETOUR
KISS ME DEADLY
DOA
THE HITCHIKER
THE SET UP
ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW
FORCE OF EVIL
NIGHT AND THE CITY
OUT OF THE PAST
ScoJo, you're incredible...thank you sir!
By Bezulsqy
Chuggers wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:15 pm
ScoJo wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:27 pm

PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET
LAURA
THE BIG COMBO
GUN CRAZY
BLAST OF SILENCE
THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW
LADY IN THE LAKE
THE KILLING
DARK PASSAGE
DETOUR
KISS ME DEADLY
DOA
THE HITCHIKER
THE SET UP
ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW
FORCE OF EVIL
NIGHT AND THE CITY
OUT OF THE PAST
ScoJo, you're incredible...thank you sir!
I see my journey started here:
http://spintheblackestcircles.org/bb/vi ... 31#p145531

- Out of the Past (1947) apparently I really liked it :-)
- Laura (1944) film noir gold
- Murder, My Sweet (1944)
- Criss Cross (1949)
- Nightmare Alley (1947) I watched this prior to knowing (and having seen) Guillermo Del Toro's Nightmare Alley from 2021 was a remake. I really liked this noir.
- Journey Into Fear (1943)
- Stranger on the Third Floor (1940) my notes: Some say it is the first of the classic noir movies. It is only 67 minutes long. I really liked it.
- Raw Deal (1948): my notes: finished this classic noir but I didn't care a lot about it.
- Detour (1945): really liked it
- The Maltese Falcon (1941) a classic and one of my personal favorites

It seems I stopped there but last year during my movie relay I did watch:
Gilda (1946) : Absolutely loved this one. How I got from Wings Hauser to Rita Hayworth is beyond me...