A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:50 pm Image
Great movie. Great.
By CrossedPete
Last night I watched a double feature of The Seventh Curse followed by Bio Zombie. Oh my god I loved 7th Curse, I think it was @nathanlurker who recommended to me so thanks man I loved it. What a fun movie, and if anyone hasn’t seen it yet I highly recommend it.

When is comes to Bio Zombie I got to give a big thanks to @inks for helping me find a copy. I’m really glad I got to finally watch this movie. I have to say though as happy as I was to watch it’s no 7th curse that’s for sure. It’s still a fun watch. What I did like about the movie was the aesthetics, it was released in 1998 and it brought me back to 98 with the hair styles and fashion choices. I also liked the fact one of the main characters had a game boy colour with the camera attachment. All in all I’m glad I finally got around to watching but not sure if I need to watch again though.
By inksb
Glad you enjoyed both. The Seventh Curse is fantastic, a huge surprise for me when I discovered it. Some really great practical effects.
By CrossedPete
inksb wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:43 pm Glad you enjoyed both. The Seventh Curse is fantastic, a huge surprise for me when I discovered it. Some really great practical effects.
Agreed I am a huge fan of The Story of Ricky, so I’m kinda surprised it took me this long to watch any of his other movies. Are there any other gems in his catalog worth watching?
By inksb
CrossedPete wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:50 pm
inksb wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:43 pm Glad you enjoyed both. The Seventh Curse is fantastic, a huge surprise for me when I discovered it. Some really great practical effects.
Agreed I am a huge fan of The Story of Ricky, so I’m kinda surprised it took me this long to watch any of his other movies. Are there any other gems in his catalog worth watching?
Those are the only two from him that I've seen but I heard Erotic Ghost Story is pretty entertaining. 88 Films out of UK is releasing that on bluray this summer. I'll be ordering that once it goes up for sale.
By Bezulsqy
Feels like ages since my previous JCVD screening. I got a new A/V system last week so I can rock a 5.1.2 set-up. But I don't have a sub yet. That will be delivered in the next two weeks. I am going to wait with watching the Universal Soldier collections till then. The new sub should mean I get to feel the JCVD kicks :-)

42. We Die Young (2019)

This made me feel a bit sad because of the MS13 gang related stuff. The depressing nature of growing up in an environment like that. I really felt for the 14 year old main character. We Die Young was a much better movie than I anticipated. JCVD plays the rundown war veteran excellently. This is more a drama than an action movie. For sure better than most JCVDs flicks but I have no feeling of re-watching this one ever unlike more of the lighthearted movies he made.

1. Lukas
* JCVD
2. Timecop
3. Hard Target
4. Bloodsport
5. Cyborg
6. Nowhere to Run
7. Maximum Risk
8. In Hell
9. Legionnaire
10. Replicant
11. Knock Off
12. Wake of Death
13. Until Death
14. Pound of Flesh

15. Lionheart
15. Kickboxer
15. Kickboxer: Vengeance
15. No Retreat, No Surrender
15. Death Warrant
15. Double Impact (of course everyone should see this one, same as Cyborg)
15. Sudden Death
15. The Quest
15. Double Team
15. Enemies Closer
15. We Die Young

26. Black Water
27. Black Eagle
28. Inferno (it is near the bottom but if you feel a bit silly do watch this one)

29. The Order
29. Second in Command
29. The Shepherd
29. Six Bullets
29. Welcome to the Jungle
29. Kickboxer: Retaliation

35. Assassination Games
36. Street Fighter
37. The Hard Corps
38. Derailed
39. Kill 'm all
40. Dragon Eyes (not that bad as a movie but too little JCVD in it)
41. Swelter (movie was worse than Dragon Eyes but JCVD was better)
By CrossedPete
CrossedPete wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:47 am 3D0EB55D-B055-423A-9D09-A5801906BCFC.jpeg
Great fuckin movie right there

@Bez I love the fact your still doing reviews almost as much as I love reading them. I grew up on Van Damme but the last new Van Damme movie I watched besides JCVD would have to be the Legionnaire. Looking back now that’s just the first half of his career, so it’s nice to get a little review on the newer ones. Your level of commitment is commendable good sir :)
By inksb

Winners & Sinners, directed by Sammo Hung. This was a very interesting film, I've never seen it but always wanted to see the Lucky Stars films. I just received the Lucky Stars trilogy set and started off this weekend with this one. It's a Sammo film, I didn't realize this, I assumed it was a Jackie vehicle with Sammo and Yuen in the co-star seats. Both Jackie and Yuen are in it but Yuen has one scene and Jackie has 3 or 4. Very funny film, lots of weird comedy, Sammo has a fantastic fight scene towards the end that was extremely entertaining. Overall highly recommended if you like Sammo.

Invasion USA. Continuing on my Cannon watching, I introduced my wife to Invasion USA with the man, the myth, the Legend, Chuck Norris. I don't think I've seen this since I was a little kid. It's quite a bit of fun in typical Cannon fashion. One man army taking on an army invading the US. It's a touch too long for what it is but the action is top notch, lots of explosions and Chuck just Chucking his way through all the scenes. There is an abundance of bazooka firing in this film, I counted over 15 shots, and they have the cheat code turned on because they just keep shooting them over and over with no reloading.

Come True, directed by Anthony Scott Burns. I loved this. I thought it was really interesting. The modern "80s synth score" got a little heavy handed at times but it worked. I don't really want to say anything about the film itself as I went in blindly and really enjoyed what I saw. I know a few of you were interested in this as well and I'll just say it's worth tracking it down, I rented it for $6 and thought that price was worth the admission.
Last edited by inksb on Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mateo Sanboval
Inks, what's the third filck you reviewed? For some reason, I can't see the pic.
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:33 pm Inks, what's the third filck you reviewed? For some reason, I can't see the pic.
Come True. Sorry I usually put the titles in my write up for this exact reason. I'll edit it
By ChrisMcQueen007
Has been a long time since I watched this (+ 20 years), used to have this on laserdisc...

The Arrow 4K took 1 month to arrive (held up in customs, thank you Brexit). Anyways, right now I can‘t think of a better way to spend a Monday evening.
Attachments
84278CF3-4D28-4A49-AAF5-F67B5874233D.jpeg
84278CF3-4D28-4A49-AAF5-F67B5874233D.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 1306 times
By inksb
Bummed I missed out on that set. I'll probably pick them up individually eventually
By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:41 pm Bummed I missed out on that set. I'll probably pick them up individually eventually
Yeah, they‘ll for sure release them individually. I will likely do that with Crash, between this and the Demons set I didn‘t feel like I needed the the special packaging etc.
By Bezulsqy
CrossedPete wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:40 pm
@Bez I love the fact your still doing reviews almost as much as I love reading them. I grew up on Van Damme but the last new Van Damme movie I watched besides JCVD would have to be the Legionnaire. Looking back now that’s just the first half of his career, so it’s nice to get a little review on the newer ones. Your level of commitment is commendable good sir :)
Thank you. I will summarize all my findings, feelings and recommendations at the end.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:38 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:33 pm Inks, what's the third filck you reviewed? For some reason, I can't see the pic.
Come True. Sorry I usually put the titles in my write up for this exact reason. I'll edit it
I wanted to watch it last weekend as well but couldn't find a time for it. Hopefully today or tomorrow.
There is another new horror movie that I am interested in to watch: Son (2021)
By Hatter313
Perfect