A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:32 pm Image

Bez put in all that work. Time to dive in. Y'all were right, Silver is awesome in this.
You know that after watching 27 JCVD flicks in 6 weeks (?) I actually do not remember why Timecop is number 1. I have to trust I had a reason for how my top ten is looking now. And I still need to watch all the Universal Soldiers... Maybe I should re-visit my top ten again when I have watched all of them.
By Mateo Sanboval
And so begins my journey through the 80s with Peter Hyams, one of the most underrrated cinematographers of my lifetime. I'm only watching films that he directed and were released between 1981 - 1990, inclusive. I'll post my thoughts in the morning. Chin, chin!
By CrossedPete
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 1765 times
This I a first time watch for me but so far I’m digging it
By CrossedPete
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:25 am Image
And so begins my journey through the 80s with Peter Hyams, one of the most underrrated cinematographers of my lifetime. I'm only watching films that he directed and were released between 1981 - 1990, inclusive. I'll post my thoughts in the morning. Chin, chin!
The named ringed a bell so I looked him up. I’m a huge fan of a lot of his 90s movies but Running Scared was the only movie I recognized from the 80s. Now I’m very curious to hear your thoughts.
By Hatter313
I don't know man, i've got a soft spot for Stay Tuned myself. (and i'll admit to certain fondness for End of Days when i'm in what used to be a "late Arnold" mood but now i guess is strictly a "middle Arnold" mood.)
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:10 pm
I don't know man, i've got a soft spot for Stay Tuned myself. (and i'll admit to certain fondness for End of Days when i'm in what used to be a "late Arnold" mood but now i guess is strictly a "middle Arnold" mood.)
I love 90s Hyams! I'm just not rewatching that period this time 'round. In fact, since my viewing of Outland was interrupted last night, I will be running it back again this evening.
By tim28212
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:32 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:10 pm
I love 90s Hyams! I'm just not rewatching that period this time 'round. In fact, since my viewing of Outland was interrupted last night, I will be running it back again this evening.
And let's not forget the terrific score from JG on this one.
By Mateo Sanboval
One hundred percent, Tim.
By Bezulsqy
28. The Shepherd

Although there were more spinning kicks than in other JCVD movies from around this time, I cannot say this was a very good flick.

21. Black Eagle
22. Inferno (it is near the bottom but if you feel a bit silly do watch this one)

23. The Order
23. Second in Command
23. The Shepherd

26. Street Fighter
27. The Hard Corps
28. Derailed
By Bezulsqy
29. JCVD (2008)

What can I say. Pure brilliance. Very Belgian/French. I think ScoJo will really love this. This belongs at number one, however it couldn't exist without the 30 or so movies before it. The more JCVD you have seen the better this movie is. Therefore for me it is 'hors categorie'.

* JCVD
1. Timecop
2. Hard Target
3. Bloodsport
4. Cyborg
5. Nowhere to Run
6. Maximum Risk
7. In Hell
8. Legionnaire
9. Replicant
10. Knock Off
11. Wake of Death
12. Until Death
By ScoJo
I am VERY pleased with this overall outcome Bez, and am raising a glass of monk beer (metaphorically) to you and your mission. Needless to say I'll put JCVD into my viewing program sofort!!

By Bezulsqy
30. Assassination Games (2011)

This one left my completely cold. His son and daughter had a small role in this boring flick. Second JCVD movie also starring Scott Adkins whom I don't know but did have some nice moves in The Shepherd and in this one.
I have entered the 2010s now. Very curious to see how this decade unfolds. I do still need to watch all 4 JCVD Universal Soldiers (1992, 1999, 2009 and 2012) but I want to watch those back to back. Maybe save them for last.

* JCVD
1. Timecop
2. Hard Target
3. Bloodsport
4. Cyborg
5. Nowhere to Run
6. Maximum Risk
7. In Hell
8. Legionnaire
9. Replicant
10. Knock Off
11. Wake of Death
12. Until Death

13. Lionheart
13. Kickboxer
13. No Retreat, No Surrender
13. Death Warrant
13. Double Impact (of course everyone should see this one, same as Cyborg)
13. Sudden Death
13. The Quest
13. Double Team

21. Black Eagle
22. Inferno (it is near the bottom but if you feel a bit silly do watch this one)

23. The Order
23. Second in Command
23. The Shepherd

26. Assassination Games
27. Street Fighter
28. The Hard Corps
29. Derailed
By inksb
Scott Adkins is a hell of an action star. Just wait until you watch the last Universal Soldier film. He's also the star of Hard Target 2 which is terrible, I had high hopes for it but it fell very flat. Unfortunately for Scott he's in a lot of really bad films with good action scenes. Definitely check out Ninja 2: Shadow of a Tear once you are done with all this JCVD stuff.
By Bezulsqy
31. Dragon Eyes (2012)

The star of this boring movie is Cung Le and not JCVD. Quote from a user review on iMDB:
For big Van Damme fans like myself, prepare to feel slightly ripped off and ultimately disappointed. Despite his top billing, he is barely in this film, and is reduced to a glorified cameo as a mentor to Cung Lee in prison, and the scenes between them are quite forgettable.
Forget this movie. I'll rank it for the sake of it.

21. Black Eagle

23. The Order
23. Second in Command
23. The Shepherd

26. Assassination Games
27. Street Fighter
28. The Hard Corps
29. Derailed
30. Dragon Eyes
By Mateo Sanboval
I agree that Dragon Eyes has a boilerplate plot and the flashback student/teacher sequences don't really work for my. Cung Le was fun to watch for me. I found him forceful and the movie was shot very well for a DTV piece. Not one of my favorites, and not really a JCVD film, but like Black Eagel, I enjoy it better than some lower on your list.
By vinyljunkie
Fave horror of the year so far, in no particular order: Films - The Vigil, The Stylist, The Empty Man and Sator. Shows - 30 Monedas and Servant

Highly recommend all of these!
By inksb
vinyljunkie wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:06 pm Fave horror of the year so far, in no particular order: Films - The Vigil, The Stylist, The Empty Man and Sator. Shows - 30 Monedas and Servant

I haven't heard of any of these. I will investigate...
By Mateo Sanboval
I just had an impromptu second watching of Killing Them Softly, the first since it's release in 2012, and I must say that, while heavy-handed at times, it is an extremely enjoyable film. I wish more films conveyed as much with as little; imbued their characters so richly while not sidelining the main narrative. Many do, of course, but not nearly enough.
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:30 pm I agree that Dragon Eyes has a boilerplate plot and the flashback student/teacher sequences don't really work for my. Cung Le was fun to watch for me. I found him forceful and the movie was shot very well for a DTV piece. Not one of my favorites, and not really a JCVD film, but like Black Eagel, I enjoy it better than some lower on your list.
I understand your view. The action scenes were pretty good but because my JCVD expectations are so high I felt let down. I don’t think this really belongs in the list however he is billed first for a reason. As a movie it is a beter movie than some near the bottom of my list but as a JCVD movie it is not in my opinion.
By Bezulsqy
vinyljunkie wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:06 pm Fave horror of the year so far, in no particular order: Films - The Vigil, The Stylist, The Empty Man and Sator. Shows - 30 Monedas and Servant

Thanks for pointing these out. After a quick search The Empty Man appears to be the least interesting one. At 2h17 it seems too long for what is is. But the other ones have more appeal to me. The Stylist and Sator I will definitely check out and The Vigil seems very interesting as well.

Keep tips like these coming!
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:49 am I just had an impromptu second watching of Killing Them Softly, the first since it's release in 2012, and I must say that, while heavy-handed at times, it is an extremely enjoyable film. I wish more films conveyed as much with as little; imbued their characters so richly while not sidelining the main narrative. Many do, of course, but not nearly enough.
I don’t think I have ever seen this one. I’ll put it on my list.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:50 am
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:30 pm I agree that Dragon Eyes has a boilerplate plot and the flashback student/teacher sequences don't really work for my. Cung Le was fun to watch for me. I found him forceful and the movie was shot very well for a DTV piece. Not one of my favorites, and not really a JCVD film, but like Black Eagel, I enjoy it better than some lower on your list.
I understand your view. The action scenes were pretty good but because my JCVD expectations are so high I felt let down. I don’t think this really belongs in the list however he is billed first for a reason. As a movie it is a beter movie than some near the bottom of my list but as a JCVD movie it is not in my opinion.
Bez, I think we are largely saying the same thing here and might I add that I am as excited for your reviews on later-era JCVD films as I was for his prime cuts.
By Bezulsqy
The girlfriend and I watched Mike Mills 20th Century Women and loved it. It was a recommendation from a friend of hers and I wasn't really interested but when the A24 logo appeared my expectations changed. It was a very enjoyable movie.

Now the girl is of to bed so I can watch my usual crap.

Alberto de Martino's 1976 Una Magnum Special per Tony Saitta a.k.a. Blazing Magnum a.k.a. Shadows in an Empty Room
fantastic score by Armando Trovajoli