A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
I finished up suspiria this morning and have actually ventured into the tundra for some lunch. once I head back into the warmth it's time for inferno, then deep red, tenebre, and phenomenon at the very least. I've got the three day weekend too so I'll probably keep it up until I accidently stumble into mother of tears and get really really angry at myself for bothering with anything post opera. Full report to come :)
By Bezulsqy
Nice Bruno Nicolai score.
Attachments
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG (558.21 KiB) Viewed 14492 times
By Bezulsqy
Another gem :-)
Attachments
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG (422.03 KiB) Viewed 14483 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Well, I watched Goosebumps last night and I can't complain too much because it was my idea. I picked it over Crimson Peak. Ugh. It seemed like it had all the raw materials to be a really fun fantasy-adventure picture, but when the story got rolling, the filmmakers just got too excited and blew it. Elfman's score was pretty good particularly the opening cues and title music which set the mood beautifully. Snap Judgement: C-

Now it's time for our annual viewing of My Bloody Valentine (Snap Judgement: A-), then a quick bite followed by a Budos Band show. Catch you dudes on the rebound!
By Hatter313
Well, I ended up going in chronological order from suspiria straight through opera, now I'm course correcting back to beginning and taking care of the first four.
By The Cult Leader
Watched this last night.

It's about a Japanese woman who believes the movie Fargo is a true story and is obsessed with finding the money that Steve Buscemi buried and travels to Minnesota to find it. Pretty crazy plot for a movie till you find out its based on a true story, well loosely based. The true story is actually far more sad and depression.
By Mateo Sanboval
The Cult Leader wrote:Watched this last night.

It's about a Japanese woman who believes the movie Fargo is a true story and is obsessed with finding the money that Steve Buscemi buried and travels to Minnesota to find it. Pretty crazy plot for a movie till you find out its based on a true story, well loosely based. The true story is actually far more sad and depression.
I've had this in my To Do pile for ages. Any good, Cult?
By The Cult Leader
meh.. Its a very desolate movie, so its definitely not going to be everyones cup of tea. The first 30 min were pretty hard to get through, it lacks highlights, and doesn't have any real action or tension. imo the whole idea was better than the movie. I actually spent some time before watching it and thinking about the plot that I briefly read about and being much more amused then when I actually sat down and watched it.
By Little Walter
The score to Kumiko really threw me off. I dig everything The Octopus Project put out, but this was just severely minimalist and, in precise correlation with the movie, desolate.
By bpwlogan
A great late night watch for this outer space western.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1011.77 KiB) Viewed 14347 times
By Mateo Sanboval
bpwlogan wrote:A great late night watch for this outer space western.
Great movie.
By Mateo Sanboval
And exquisitely shot by the great Peter Hyams. His son, John Hyams, is following in his footsteps as an excellent cinematist.
By Bezulsqy
Just came back from the Revenant. I was the only one in the theater. Watched it with Dolby Atmos sound. Really cool sensation just sitting there by myself. At one point I heard coughing and I actually turned around because I thought someone else was sitting in the room. But it was Leo coughing outside of the frame. Really believable. The sound of all the rain and snow and wind definitely added to the atmosphere.
Great film! Especially how it is made. Beautiful long takes. The effects are incredible. The scene with the bear was breathtaking. Leo is outstanding. Masterpiece as how it was made.
The story itself is as old as can be. But the way it was told was really great. I don't really care for the flashbacks as a tool to create some sort of emotional bond or whatever with the lead. So your girl got killed and you are not the same person anymore... Maybe I am emotionally more flat that most people.
The score was great in parts where it sounded more minimalistic and ambient. That is the sound that I prefer above the emotional orchestral or string bits.

Before the movie they showed the trailer to 10 Cloverfield Lane. Really good stuff! Nice twist in that little timeframe.
Another trailer not so much: London has Fallen... Pfff. Maybe it is because I am European. But what a load of American patriotic crap...

Anyways, go Leo!
By bpwlogan
It's going to be tough not to double dip tomorrow.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 14178 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Watching Masters of the Universe tonight because it is about to disappear off of Netflix. I haven't seen this since my friend's Mom rented it on Betamax (!). Nostalgia helps, but it is still plenty enjoyable with Dolph at his swollenest and Frank Langella as Skeletor. That is some wild casting/role acceptance.Image
By bpwlogan
Ghost Dog, he has to be the coolest professional killer ever!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 14096 times
By bpwlogan
The twisted world of Charles Lee Ray.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 14082 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Ghost dog is exceptional. It makes for a perfectly lovely double feature when paired with Jarmusch's Dead Man.
By Hatter313
Synchronicity in action right here, I literally walked by Jarmusch yesterday, he was wandering around my office building. there's a web/digital production house a few floors down so I imagine that's where he was going. ran into Ron Perlman a few months back in the same spot.
By deafmetal
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Ghost dog is exceptional. It makes for a perfectly lovely double feature when paired with Jarmusch's Dead Man.
Agreed, both films are excellent.

Also, @Hatter, our man-about-town!
By Hatter313
NYC is great for this stuff, especially where I work downtown near Tribeca. Fake Jenson used to walk her dogs in this neighborhood all the time and Tony Hale, Buster from arrested development asked me the way to Canal street once.

Pretty sure I saw Bowie walking with his daughter years ago too, close as i'll ever get now :(

and lastly, One of the earliest Bill Murray "No one will ever believe you stories" comes from a friend of mine who he hugged in an elevator in like '97 or '98...we didn't believe him until a college buddy of mine told me in '05 that his father had a similar experience...wasn't until a few years later that people started really talking about it.