A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Dollarhyde
Still need to see c.h.u.d.

Now watching some great 80's sci fi anime. Watched part one yesterday.
Mega zone 23. Seriously awesome stuff!
Attachments
2016-01-31 11.36.56.png
2016-01-31 11.36.56.png (822.24 KiB) Viewed 14593 times
By Purplemule74
death_watch_poster_04.jpg
death_watch_poster_04.jpg (772.6 KiB) Viewed 14578 times
Finally was able to snag the Polish movie poster version of 'Death Watch'. Now I'm going to have to watch the movie again tonight after about 20 years.
By Mateo Sanboval
Purplemule74 wrote:
death_watch_poster_04.jpg
Finally was able to snag the Polish movie poster version of 'Death Watch'. Now I'm going to have to watch the movie again tonight after about 20 years.
Hey, Purp! Is that the original theatrical poster or a reimagining? Either way, what a beauty.
By Purplemule74
It is the original... it took me about two years stocking the Internet to get one. I post a pic of it hanging on my office wall soon.
By Bezulsqy
deafmetal wrote:@Bezulsqy - Have fun! What did you think of Dellamorte Dellamore?
I really loved C.H.U.D.! Great little movie. And John Goodman :-)
Dellamorte Dellamore was a lot of fun. Very silly overall, but in a good way. Gna!
By Mateo Sanboval
Any good?
By Dollarhyde
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Any good?
completely nonsensical script, wooden acting, insane deaths and over the top effects. In other words absolutely brilliant!

there are plenty of SFX scenes and hilarious dialogue that keep the movie from dragging and the music/sound fx are brilliant. cant wait for my sub terrorvision lp.

only negative critiscism is the youtube artifacts were a bit painful, would love to see it on dvd.
By Mateo Sanboval
Dollarhyde wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Any good?
completely nonsensical script, wooden acting, insane deaths and over the top effects. In other words absolutely brilliant!

there are plenty of SFX scenes and hilarious dialogue that keep the movie from dragging and the music/sound fx are brilliant. cant wait for my sub terrorvision lp.

only negative critiscism is the youtube artifacts were a bit painful, would love to see it on dvd.
Yeeah, that sounds pretty good.
By texasvinyl
Hilarious
Attachments
Screenshot_20160207-105615.png
Screenshot_20160207-105615.png (392.42 KiB) Viewed 14520 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Alright, maybe I'll get into this tonight.
By Bezulsqy
Death walks on high heels
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (651.87 KiB) Viewed 14505 times
By texasvinyl
Watching HBOs cut of "the godfather epic," a folly that throws acid on the art of Coppola by combining the first two films and rearranging the scenes in chronological order. The epic begins with the old country scenes (child/young Vito) and then cuts to the wedding scene. Just....why?? It's a real crime.
By Mateo Sanboval
texasvinyl wrote:Watching HBOs cut of "the godfather epic," a folly that throws acid on the art of Coppola by combining the first two films and rearranging the scenes in chronological order. The epic begins with the old country scenes (child/young Vito) and then cuts to the wedding scene. Just....why?? It's a real crime.
I have always wondered why folks were obsessed with doing this. There was a chronological network TV edit of this from the late 70s available to rent on VHS in the 80s and early 90s that was an official release. Coppola had signed off on it more than a decade earlier to help finance Apocalypse Now. He supposedly hated it and why wouldn't he? It strips these classic films of much of their juxtapositioning and narrative power. De-mystifying Don Corleone by humanizing him before Brando has ever even appeared on camera! Such a neutered effort. It seems the only point of interest in this HBO reworking is that they had access to some non-theatrical footage that was edited into the presentation. Not sure what that is or if it's worth the seven hour journey, but I somehow doubt it.
By bpwlogan
It's still one that I enjoy watching every once in a while. Not near the classic the first film is though.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 14452 times
By ScoJo
Just watching Sly, Billy Dee and Rutger tearing shit up in NIGHTHAWKS.
This is a much more fun movie than I remember, and pretty well made! Emerson's proto-prog street funk score actually turns it into a far more exploitation-ey movie than I think it would be with a 'classier' score. I get the feeling that the filmmakers+Sly were all about Serpico/French Connection, but perhaps the producers were more, like, 'Dirty Harry, please!' No bad thing though! It definitely reeks of that decrepit late 70s NYC vibe. Vote Koch!!
Big thanks to @bpwlogan, @EvanC and @mateo for stearing me right to the much needed rewatch :)
By Mateo Sanboval
@ScoJo - Nighthawks isa fucking corker! Your impressions reminded me of Mateo's Useless Nighthawks Fun Fact #109: The movie was actually written to be French Connection 3 For hackman and Richard Pryor (!). Hackman passed and it got reworked into Nighthawks. Sly and the producers originally saw the movie and the Billy D/Stallone team up as the basis for a film franchise, still a relatively new concept at this stage in the game. That obviously didn't pan out, but they still made the 80s first buddy cop movie, beating 48 Hours to the theaters by a year.

@MW - It is a very cool score and package, I picked up a sealed copy off Discog for $10 a couple of years back. It was my second copy, but I couldn't resist at that price.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Your impressions reminded me of Mateo's Useless Nighthawks Fun Fact #109: The movie was actually written to be French Connection 3 For hackman and Richard Pryor (!). Hackman passed and it got reworked into Nighthawks. Sly and the producers originally saw the movie and the Billy D/Stallone team up as the basis for a film franchise, still a relatively new concept at this stage in the game. That obviously didn't pan out, but they still made the 80s first buddy cop movie, beating 48 Hours to the theaters by a year.
Mind. Suitably. Blown.
By Hatter313
Due to the unbelievable cold we are getting in the north east tomorrow, I'm tucking myself in with a fresh bottle of applejack I just picked up and seeing how far into Argentos filmography I can get before I go nuts. No order....I'm watching suspiria right now. Bleeds in from my witchathon I've been having all week to get myself in the mood for next Friday's premier of the witch.

Good lord that shot of the cab through the woods in the rain never ceases to stun me with how perfect it is.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:Due to the unbelievable cold we are getting in the north east tomorrow, I'm tucking myself in with a fresh bottle of applejack I just picked up and seeing how far into Argentos filmography I can get before I go nuts. No order....I'm watching suspiria right now. Bleeds in from my witchathon I've been having all week to get myself in the mood for next Friday's premier of the witch.

Good lord that shot of the cab through the woods in the rain never ceases to stun me with how perfect it is.
Though I have many of Argento's films left to see before I can say I've seen them all, Suspiria is thus far my favorite. And one of my favorite horror films period. It is a joy to watch.
By bpwlogan
@ScoJo brought up Dirty Harry a few posts ago which always reminds me of this film first in the franchise. A personal favorite of mine out of the five films, and the most hardcore Dirty Harry of them all!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 14378 times
By bpwlogan
@Hatter I know what you're talking about. 10 below zero here in the Twin Cities tonight. I'm just chilling in front of the TV for the night.
By Hatter313
10 below! Without windchill?!?! Sweet merciful.....oh man that's brutal, we are getting -4 tonight, windchill bringing it to like -24 or something barbaric like that. Good luck, that damn groundhog said early spring and I intend to hold him to that promise!
By Mateo Sanboval
I've been slacking in here. Three weeks ago I saw The Revenant in an absolutely beautiful 3rd story theater with views of the Pacific Ocean. Unbelieveable! The movie was pretty good, too. Impeccably shot, framed, scored, and (at times) acted. Snap Judgement: B
Last week I saw Hail, Caesar! and actually quite liked it. About fifteen minutes in I realized it was not going to have a traditionally complex Cohen Bros plot and, after that, it was a sublime watch. A lovely homage and sendup of 1950s Hollywood backlots and the pictures they produced, I laughed a bit, but mostly just enjoyed myself. Thoroughly. Snap Judgement: B
Last night I saw Deadpool. So that happened. It was exactly like 95% of current superhero films, but with more (incredibly generic/hip five years ago) cursing and gore, but I like cursing and gore so it wasn't terrible. I mean, at least it wasn't Thor. In brief, Deadpool was mostly forgettable, but not a total slog to get through. Snap Judgement: C-

PS - @Hatter - How much ground did you cover in your Argento-a-thon?