A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Because of all the talk in the other thread :-)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (924.93 KiB) Viewed 14984 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:Because of all the talk in the other thread :-)
Gotta get on this. I've had it sitting around for weeks.
By ScoJo
Watching The Keep with my family, inc two teens who cant put their damn phones away. To be fair it's an intense watch in company. Even by the standard of films being less busilly paced back then The Keep is so slow.
My nephew had a great insight tho. He commented after 30mins that he likes the music, but its a mismatch with the film. 'Its like Turbo Kid over Schindler's List'! (To be fair Molassar hadnt quite shown up yet heh heh)
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:'Its like Turbo Kid over Schindler's List'!
We need people on this yesterday.
By J.R.
Onto the third Potter film now, and I like how the direction of the visuals leans more into a Hammer style. Chris Columbus hinted at it with the second one, but here it becomes more concrete.
By Little Walter
I just re-watched Warrior last night with a superb emotion-charged score by The National. Great watch with Tom Hardy at his most hearty.
By deafmetal
@bpwlogan - I don't miss those subzero temps in Minnesota! VHS cover art is such a special thing. Have you seen that book by The Dude Designs?

@disco - I will have to check out this Struzan documentary. Mondo still has not shipped that print of the The Thing cover art to me yet. I am in agony over framing choices, and I still haven't even received the damn thing yet. :)
By bpwlogan
@deaf-Your making me jealous. Glad you got out of the frozen tundra! I just Googled The Dude Designs. It looks like a pretty cool website. Thanks again deaf I'll check it out. Maybe the VHS tape will make a little comeback like the audio cassette. No, probably not. I'm just pipe dreaming. :)
Last edited by bpwlogan on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mateo Sanboval
Better late than never, here I go...
By Mateo Sanboval
So I went in blind on Bone Tomahawk and, boy, am I glad I did. What a film! I was more than pleasantly surprised. I jotted down some quick thoughts in the appropriate thread, but it was great and has me eager awaiting Zahler's next move as a director as well as his other script/novel adaptations currently in development. Snap Judgement: A.
By Mateo Sanboval
And now for something completely different:
Re-Kill (2015) has some cool ideas, but suffers from pretty sloppy execution, action, and a whole lot of shaky-cam. The best parts of the film are the "commercial breaks" and "news bulletins" that, while reminiscent of far superior Verhoeven works like Robocop and Starship Troopers, are still only worth a chuckle. Snap Judgement: C-.
By texasvinyl
Watching The Abyss on an airplane seat screen (for free!), and there's WiFi. Technology is amazing.
By Mateo Sanboval
texasvinyl wrote:Watching The Abyss on an airplane seat screen (for free!), and there's WiFi. Technology is amazing.
How has The Abyss not been released on blu-ray yet? I'm not the biggest Cameron booster, but I feel like his movies probably sell just fine.
By Dollarhyde
If I had known brian de palma created a musical that satired the record industry while also referencing the phantom of the opera (before all that a.l. webber crap) with music from the dude that did the music for bugsy mallone I would have been on this a long time ago.

There is some killer music playing during the climax scene near the end of the movie, instrumental psych freak fest grooves. I'm guessing this isnt featured on the OST vinyl release from the movie. Someone please tell me otherwise.
Attachments
2016-01-09 18.40.56.png
2016-01-09 18.40.56.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 14835 times
By Spun out of control
This just arrived in today's post in advance of Monday's official release.... wondering how it compares to the version Arrow put out a couple of years back which was also beautiful in terms of the colour rendition... guess I'll have to play it and find out! :)
Attachments
Deep Red Arrow Video limited edition blu ray.jpg
Deep Red Arrow Video limited edition blu ray.jpg (968.54 KiB) Viewed 14760 times
By Dollarhyde
@spun

Need to watch deep red again, guessing there are some juicy extras on there.

Just got these babies in from the arrow sale, les diaboliques is up first, not seen it before.
Attachments
2016-01-23 18.07.45.png
2016-01-23 18.07.45.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 14757 times
By J.R.
Just got back from taking my daughter to see Goosebumps, which was really quite good: a mixture of teen horror cliches, Monster Squad, Disturbia and 50s sci fi films all mixed in with an awesome Danny Elfman soundtrack, which I immediately purchased when I got home!
By Mateo Sanboval
J.R. wrote:Just got back from taking my daughter to see Goosebumps, which was really quite good: a mixture of teen horror cliches, Monster Squad, Disturbia and 50s sci fi films all mixed in with an awesome Danny Elfman soundtrack, which I immediately purchased when I got home!
High praise. I was moderately interested in this, but I think your list if influences/homages may have nudged me into action.
By Bezulsqy
Finally get to see this.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (969.11 KiB) Viewed 14639 times
By bpwlogan
Always a ton of fun!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 14553 times