A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb

Blue Velvet. Dir David Lynch
Not much to say here that hasn't been said. Still fantastic. My wife loved it, it was her first viewing and she loves Kyle MacLachlan so it was fun for her to see such a young role for him. I've never seen this poster, quite striking if you ask me.

Dune. Dir David Lynch
Confession time. I have not seen Dune. I have always been told by two friends who are super Dune nerds that the movie sucks. Only to be reinforced by the reiteration of David Lynch saying he can't watch that film. For many many years I just assumed it was a bad film, recently I was listening to a podcast about Lynch and the two hosts praised the film for what it was and actually explained the Lynch quote which derives from him discussing how he can't watch the film because of how cut down it was, not because he hates the film itself. I saw that it was on HBO Max so I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did, I found it very enjoyable. I can't believe that Lynch made this (well there are definitely Lynchian scenes sprinkled through out) but I mean that in just a sense of how big the film is, a huge sci fi spectacular, directed quite well imo. The film definitely has problems, the final act is extremely rushed and you can tell they just crammed all of the story into that final third. It definitely could have used another hour or two. Aside from that, the cast was quite good, lots of Lynch regulars, creepy Sting, really great effects, some not so great effects which I usually still enjoy and really great set & costume design. Overall I enjoyed it and I'm glad I actually gave it the time it deserved.

Mortal Kombat [2021] Dir Simon McQuoid
I'll start this out by saying it's a bad movie, plain and simple it's bad. But it's fun. Like many 80's b-grade action films, there's stuff to enjoy in the poor writing and terrible plot. Opening set piece was fantastic, great fight, cool call backs to the games, ultra violence (which is what everyone wants). Then you get an hour of mini fights with some cool parts sprinkled through out, a hilarious Kano who keeps the dull middle alive and then a final act full of crazy violence. The source material is a giant garbled mess that has retconned more story beats than almost any other franchise, you can't write a good film out of the source, you need to take bits and pieces to tailor to a better story, they didn't do that here. They tried but it's almost on the same level as bad. The new "character" they used for main protagonist was a bad idea, his whole existence and even "super power" comes from him getting his ass kicked. The movie is filled with really bad one liners as call backs to the games, while they get a bit of a chuckle they must sound extra dumb to those that are actually unfamiliar with the franchise. I can't say that I would recommend this to some one like ScoJo ;) but I know there's a few of you here that would still derive some enjoyment out of this like I did.
By Bezulsqy
I have only seen Dune one time a couple of years ago. I forget which version. I think I have three different cuts. I remember really liking it.

And Blue Velvet is brilliant. Got to see that in a theater two years ago.
By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:54 pm Image

Blue Velvet. Dir David Lynch
Not much to say here that hasn't been said. Still fantastic. My wife loved it, it was her first viewing and she loves Kyle MacLachlan so it was fun for her to see such a young role for him. I've never seen this poster, quite striking if you ask me.

Yeah, that poster art is pretty cool! It‘s the Italian poster also done by Enzo Sciotti who passed away just a couple of weeks ago.

http://spintheblackestcircles.org/bb/v ... 97&t=78053
By Hatter313
In defense of Lynch on that Dune third act rush, it's not entirely his fault, the book does the SAME exact thing and everyone always forgets that, because in print it doesn't feel like a last half hour of madness, but the pacing of things is nearly identical. huge fan of both.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:54 pm I can't say that I would recommend this to some one like ScoJo ;)
And.... I am not offended.

btw 'Directed by Simon McQuoid' ??

That's the most made-up shit I've heard for ages.

Directed by Brian Quatto III
By ScoJo
Just watching Basket Case 2. Holy heck.

Fx guy Gabe Bartalos was sure kept busy on that show!

The most rubber in a flick since Society?!

4FF8107B-1D3E-4754-A3B7-46196931B04F-557-000000925B1B52C3.png
4FF8107B-1D3E-4754-A3B7-46196931B04F-557-000000925B1B52C3.png (510.34 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:52 pm Just watching Basket Case 2. Holy heck.

I didn't love Basketcase 2 but man the effects were a hell of a lot of fun.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:01 pm
ScoJo wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:52 pm Just watching Basket Case 2. Holy heck.

I didn't love Basketcase 2 but man the effects were a hell of a lot of fun.
Oh it's a terrible movie, but even terrible Henenlotter is a hoot.

Reminds me of that great Woody Allen line.

"Your doctor said you had the 'wrong kind' of orgasm? I've never had the wrong kind, ever. My worst one was right on the money."
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:29 pm Oh it's a terrible movie, but even terrible Henenlotter is a hoot.
Does this still apply to Bad Biology?

I absolutely love Basketcase and Brain Damage. I really enjoy Frankenhooker as well. Basketcase 2 was entertaining but I think I had different hopes for it and 3 unfortunately didn't do much for me. I started Bad Biology twice and have yet to finish it.
By Bezulsqy
Luigi Comencini's 1975 La donna della domenica a.k.a. The Sunday Woman
score by Ennio Morricone
starring Marcello Mastroianni, Jacqueline Bisset and Jean-Louis Trintignant

By inksb

Wild At Heart. Dir by David Lynch

I love this film. I don't really see a lot of Lynch fans talk about it much. It seems to live in this space where people like it well enough but it's "lesser" Lynch maybe? Great performances all around, Dafoe in his creepiest fucking role, he steals the whole movie once he shows up. The scene in the motel room between him and Laura is terrifying. Love the contrast in the music and the cross cuts to her mother are always so odd.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:26 pm Image

Wild At Heart. Dir by David Lynch

I love this film. I don't really see a lot of Lynch fans talk about it much. It seems to live in this space where people like it well enough but it's "lesser" Lynch maybe? Great performances all around, Dafoe in his creepiest fucking role, he steals the whole movie once he shows up. The scene in the motel room between him and Laura is terrifying. Love the contrast in the music and the cross cuts to her mother are always so odd.
100% with all of this, just showed it to a friend for the first time not too long ago. Dafoe has NEVER been more loathsome or uncomfortable and THAT scene is almost too much. that being said the resolution to his character is that much more satisfying when it happens.

Also Freddie Jones quacking in the bar for no reason is peak Lynch nonsense and i love it.
By Bezulsqy
Nobody was perfect!

Watched it together with my girlfriend who is not really one for action but she also enjoyed this a lot. Great selection of songs as well!
By Bezulsqy

I really liked this one. I know I a lot of people didn't care for it as much but I found it a very entertaining watch.
By ScoJo
I woke up ridiculously early and watched this for the first time. Hoooo-weeeee!!

A427BC4A-DC69-4696-9710-D6BD6EB6A011-515-00000092970FDD19.png
A427BC4A-DC69-4696-9710-D6BD6EB6A011-515-00000092970FDD19.png (994.58 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

This was Manos-level shoddy/bananas, I loved it! The absolute barrel-bottom of the post F13 backwoods/camping/slasher cycle, made in '81. Bloody hilarious, had me openly chuckling many times.

Now I'm especially bummed that some jagoff did the soundtrack as an edition of like 30-or so LPs, obvs impossible to score. What kind of a butthead does that? ;-)
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:33 am I woke up ridiculously early and watched this for the first time. Hoooo-weeeee!!

A427BC4A-DC69-4696-9710-D6BD6EB6A011-515-00000092970FDD19.png

This was Manos-level shoddy/bananas, I loved it! The absolute barrel-bottom of the post F13 backwoods/camping/slasher cycle, made in '81. Bloody hilarious, had me openly chuckling many times.

Now I'm especially bummed that some jagoff did the soundtrack as an edition of like 30-or so LPs, obvs impossible to score. What kind of a butthead does that? ;-)
I don’t know this one at all! And I’m a sucker for that exact cycle, perfect summer fodder.

Manos level you say? Torgo may have something to say about that!
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 pm Ten years after the first time, this was my second watch. It was very nice.

It sure is. One thing, I'm finding it so interesting that, going forward, films which featured Ellen Page, he is now credited as Elliot Page. I feel like this is a first regarding transgender in film - for instance, Wendy Carlos was already transitioned before starting her film work, whereas Elliot's film credits are all being retroactively 'updated'. Makes me wonder if, say a reissue of the Juno soundtrack or bluray etc will also be updated. Film poster reprints?