A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Weekend viewing

This was an experience. I didn't know what to expect other than probably feeling uncomfortable because it's a Noe film. I think this may be his most rewatchable film to date? Maybe? I don't know, I was enthralled by the opening dance number, laughing at these absurd characters having fun post practice and then horrified as everything devolves into madness. If you have ever been around a few people having a bad trip this at times is a pretty accurate depiction of being an outsider watching people lose their fucking mind.

The Devil's Rejects did not need a sequel, at all. I love that film but I never once wanted a sequel, they all die at the end there is no point. With that said, aside from them not actually dying and just surviving being shot to shit like swiss cheese, I really enjoyed watching another movie with the Firefly family. Sheri Moon Zombie owns this film as Baby, she is fun to watch and easily the best part. The new step brother filling in for Sid Haig (who was too old and sick to participate) does a decent job and Bill Mosley as Otis is as enjoyable as he always has been. If you don't like Rob Zombie as a director or hate House of 1000 Corpses/The Devil's Rejects then this won't change your opinion but if you do then you should find something to like here.

Paul Naschy directed Werewolf vs Samurai film. If that sounds like your cup of tea then check this out. It's a little slow going but I most Naschy films have a slower pace. The werwolf effects are great as usual for the steady Naschy Waldemar Daninsky series of films. Only got two small leaps from him this time around so a little disappointed in that (if you don't get this then go watch Werewolf vs Yeti, you'll see what I mean). There is a fight with Tiger here, it's fucking insane, obviously the cat unfortunately had it's claws & fangs removed (also looks malnourished) but that stunt guy was getting batted around and bit by that tiger. It's was stupid, that cat can still kill you with out it's teeth and claws. The film takes place predominantly in a Japan setting so it was very odd watching all the Japanese actors speak Spanish. Overall pretty fun Naschy flick, not the best but solid middle ground.
By maxlevel
ScoJo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:28 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:07 pm
maxlevel wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:35 am Uncut Gems. What a whirlwind. Old school Shakespearean epic

Only tiny mistake I noticed was (or maybe I missed something, film goes like a rocket) the huge error in valuation of the title gem by Howard. It’s a spectacular mistake which isn’t really explained. There’s no way he would have done that original deal to set the whole film in motion if he thought his gamble was so small a return, his livelihood is based on knowing the real values of everything. so after everything it didn’t quite add up apart from a plot point to bring in the final act. It dosnt change the film much, it’s a minor thing which you would miss when guessing the voice on the phone
I looked at that in two different ways, first he was just banking on it's rough estimate being huge based on what some one said from a photograph of the gem, not really know the value of it himself but relying on others. The actual low ball amount seemed like a fuck you from the place he was dealing with (they knew he was in dire need to sell it) and like they said, they didn't give them proper time to analyze the gem, it should take more time and they were given less than 24 hours which means some guy just glanced at it and assigned a bullshit number. That's kind of how I saw that situation, maybe I'm just inferring too much.
On the other hand.....

This is how I win.

(As has been pointed out by many, following on from what they did together on Good Time, the use/mixing/aggressiveness of Lopati n's score is absolutely fucking crazy. I can't begin to imagine what an average, casual go-check-out-this-new-film cinemagoer must make of that first ten minutes!)
Absolutely bonkers score!

@inksb the problem is, the auction house makes a percentage so it’s not in their interest to low ball anyone. The only person he upsets at the auction house is the receptionist! If they’d said it’s a black market item with no paperwork, I’d have bought that. There’s a scene elsewhere about paperwork
By Bezulsqy
yesterday:

Bob Rafelson's 1987 Black Widow

today:
Maria Bava's 1968 Danger Diabolik

By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:04 pm yesterday:

Bob Rafelson's 1987 Black Widow

today:
Maria Bava's 1968 Danger Diabolik

By inksb
Friday night I decided to give this a shot, the idea of a haunted dress seemed silly but I've seen enough praise for the film to give it a go. I'll start by saying it's shot beautifully, Ari Wegner deserves lots of praise for their work here. The actual film didn't work for me though, there's a fantastic short film here, the first hour is engrossing and captivating, then at the half way point they conclude that story and literally retell it with different characters, who are not as enjoyable to watch. The second half just fell on it's face for me. A shame as Stickland had a nice set up and if he could have just stuck with the first story for another 20-30 minutes I think I would have loved it.

Kevin Smith was a director I was always interested to check out through out the 90's, he was entertaining and usually embraced the indie film maker vibe quite well even with his dick & fart joke mentality. He slumped for a bit there, came out with Clerks 2 that was 10 times better than I could have imagined, did Red State and then nothing else in his career has appealed to me. He doesn't even feel like he's making movies for himself anymore, they don't seem to interest him. I had to see this film just to see what he did with the View Askew universe, well it's exactly what the title says, Jay & Silent Bob Reboot, it's the same beats as the first film, less funny, lots and lots of cameos and way too fucking long. Some jokes land and get a chuckle every now and then but it's only doing that about 5% of the time. Unless you have a connection to Kevin Smith movies from Clerks to Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back and just are curious I'd say stay the hell away from this one.

A film sequel to Mobile Suite Gundam Unicorn, Narrative takes place years later following kids now adults who are adverse to piloting special mobile suites. Some incredible battles in this, a mediocre story and a lot of great animation. If you are into Gundam and have seen Unicorn then give this a watch, it's not necessary but worth checking out if you enjoyed Unicorn.

My wife had not seen this yet so we watched it in 4K yesterday. It's much better when you can take breaks. I enjoyed it more the second viewing than when I sat in the theaters. I still have issues with it (biggest being Tony just figuring out time travel in 30 seconds) but the action is great, I really love the Thor/Cap/Tony vs Thanos fight. And as much as I hate to admit it, I'm an old sappy fuck who got teary eyed when *SPOILER* Tony died.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:01 pm
Kevin Smith was a director I was always interested to check out through out the 90's, he was entertaining and usually embraced the indie film maker vibe quite well even with his dick & fart joke mentality. He slumped for a bit there, came out with Clerks 2 that was 10 times better than I could have imagined, did Red State and then nothing else in his career has appealed to me.
I have to say, I absolutely LOVED Tusk. It is fu-ck-ing out there. And by some miraculous alchemy I found the ending to be utterly mouth-agape horrific, bizarre and even touching. I will likely never rewatch, but it has definitely scarred me for life.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:24 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:01 pm
Kevin Smith was a director I was always interested to check out through out the 90's, he was entertaining and usually embraced the indie film maker vibe quite well even with his dick & fart joke mentality. He slumped for a bit there, came out with Clerks 2 that was 10 times better than I could have imagined, did Red State and then nothing else in his career has appealed to me.
I have to say, I absolutely LOVED Tusk. It is fu-ck-ing out there. And by some miraculous alchemy I found the ending to be utterly mouth-agape horrific, bizarre and even touching. I will likely never rewatch, but it has definitely scarred me for life.
Tusk almost worked for me but I struggle with Justin Long as an actor and the noises through out the final acts of that film were grating to say the least. I think it was a bold choice and I respect that film as something Kevin was actually interested in making. I kind of forgot about it to be honest. Also the Johnny Depp scene was terrible.
By inksb
I watched the 4th episode of The Outsider last night. I'm really impressed with this show. Each episode makes me want more, it's one of the few shows where I wish I could just binge the whole season.

First episode of Sabrina S3 reminded me of why I love that show, it's so damn cheesy (many eye roll inducing moments). But it's still just incredibly charming and I love Lucy Davis.

Netflix released a new cartoon recently called Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts. I'm about halfway through and it's incredibly charming, really well animated and the voice acting is really good. If any of you watch cartoons with your kids and are looking for something new, give this a shot. Or if you are like me and just love cartoons then watch it.

I saw some one post a figure of Nicolas Wolfwood from Trigun the other day which spurred my desire to watch the series again. I forgot how goofy it is at times and for some stupid reason I always watch it with the Eng dub which I find incredibly annoying and fun at the same time. I know it makes no sense but hey it's how I've always watched it so it has it's charms. I've made it through the first 5 episodes so far. Hopefully finish it through out the week.

And in case no one knows who Wolfwood is, check out this image. I love his character design, the cross is a huge gun.
By static14
I thought you were dead.
Attachments
CB383189-A3CF-4D44-B939-0B22B6BAA2EE.jpeg
CB383189-A3CF-4D44-B939-0B22B6BAA2EE.jpeg (815.87 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
By Bezulsqy
Yesterday my girlfriend and I watched Uncut Gems. Absolutely loved it. And indeed a brilliant score.

Just now finished watching Edge of Tomorrow. Brilliant! I did not know anything about the story. So at the point in the movie where I realized why this was actually called Live Die Repeat I almost jump from my seat.
By ScoJo
Ok it's that time of the year apparently- when it seems I've watched 'everything'.

So throw out any suggestions guys, for a movie to watch this eve. Horror, scifi, thriller, comedy, old, new... but bear in mind i have likely seen most obvious picks ;)

Fyi Color out of Space was my fave recent watch
By inksb
This probably way too late for you ScoJo but I have three newer movies lined up to watch soon that I've heard good to mixed reactions to. Daniel Isn't Real, The Head Hunter and Hagazussa.
By skeletonbutt
i watched daniel yesterday and found it to be surprisingly good. but i wish it was made when it was the 5th or 6th movie for the filmmaker and not his 2nd.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:40 am This probably way too late for you ScoJo but I have three newer movies lined up to watch soon that I've heard good to mixed reactions to. Daniel Isn't Real, The Head Hunter and Hagazussa.
Thanks for the shout inks, confess I gave up pretty early on with Daniel. Hagazussa is on my radar for sure, not familiar with Head Hunter - will investigate!
By inksb
This one had an interesting concept that I had a hard time getting into due to it's two main stars. The first half of the film kind of takes it's time and when that slow pace is spent with two very unlikable people who are surrounded by other people with no redeeming qualities, I have a hard time caring about anything happening. Around the half way mark the effects start to get pretty interesting, a lot of really good practical and CG enhanced effects. I understand why people are digging the film but it just wasn't for me. The finale was dumb as hell though, I actually laughed out loud at what they decided to do.

And now for the highlight of the weekend, this schlock filled 90's 'classic'. I was honestly a little worried going into this one, mid 90's Z-grade horror generally isn't my cup of tea. Well this one is a ton of fun, the writers very obviously knew what they were making, lean so hard into some of the jokes, the director also knew what he was making. Some of the actors didn't quite get it but that kind of works for what they were going for. The added gore scenes really help elevate some of the absurdity, I understand why it was originally cut out, this film plays like a made for TV cheese fest, with no gore it can be played on any station any time. I had a lot of fun with it and encourage any one who wants to see a very fun 90's schlock fest to give this a go. I'm honestly surprised how well it works and happy I picked it up.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm Maria Bava's 1968 Danger Diabolik

Scream Factory just announced Danger Diabolik on bluray coming in May.
By ScoJo
I saw!

This may put a whole new complexion on things, in terms of Blow Out shizzle ;-)
By static14
Watched that last week @Scojo, fun watch except for that podcast host James Janisse. His asides were so fucking rehearsed and poorly read. He annoyed the shit out of me.
By skeletonbutt
static14 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:53 am Watched that last week @Scojo, fun watch except for that podcast host James Janisse. His asides were so fucking rehearsed and poorly read. He annoyed the shit out of me.
haha, agreed. if he's a podcast host, why does he need to prepare what he's going to say in advance?
the doc was kind of a turd, tbh. the interviews felt cobbled together from dvd extras and there wasn't really any thread or arc (or point) to the documentary. horror fans have probably heard all the bits of information before, and there are too many spoilers to recommend it to a new fan. slipknot dude should have been cut out, and i love mistress of the dark but elvira contributed little.
there's another documentary by the same people(?) called In Search of the Last Action Heroes that was considerably better but also much shorter at just 2.5h rather than 4.5h.