A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
static14 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:19 am Thin plot, rushed progression, and I really didn't care for the new twist with the puzzle box.
that's a shame although not unexpected... I am watching it tonight
By Bezulsqy
static14 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:53 pm Curious to hear your thoughts on the other side @Bez!
I didn't mind the puzzle box plot. But I had a very hard time to feel anything towards the main actors. Maybe I am just too old... Also the cenobites didn't impress at first. However, the last 40 minutes or so I found that it got better. Same for the score. Best part was hearing the original Hellraiser cuts :-)
I am wondering how big the percentage of people is that will see this one without ever having seen the original.

Is it a missed opportunity? Or are we expecting too much? I have to think it should or could have been better. But then again, it is not a remake. More a reimagining of sorts. And in that light it is not too bad. But more for another generation then mine?
By Bezulsqy
in 4K and haven't seen this since end of the 80s or beginning 90's
Caroll Ann's mother is very hot...
the image and sound of this UHD are fantastic
sometimes it feels more of a comedy than a horror... and than it is scary again...

By inksb
I thought it was quite enjoyable. It's the third best film in the series, now we all know that's not saying much but I've seen so many shitty Hellraiser films over the years it was nice to get one that was competently made, well acted and had some of the best effects in the series. The characters were not great, the story wasn't that original and I understand why some will take issue with "tag" stuff but I like the new lore and multi phase configuration stuff. Score was really great and using parts of the original was nice.
By Bezulsqy
static14 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:26 pm @Bez you didn't mind the new "tag you're it" aspect with the puzzle box?
I actually hadn't thought of it like that. I did like the idea of multiple configurations, but yes, the idea that you can 'tag' some one is less appealing. Also now thinking of it, why can you be cut and still transfer the effect to some one else?
By static14
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:46 am
static14 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:26 pm @Bez you didn't mind the new "tag you're it" aspect with the puzzle box?
I actually hadn't thought of it like that. I did like the idea of multiple configurations, but yes, the idea that you can 'tag' some one is less appealing. Also now thinking of it, why can you be cut and still transfer the effect to some one else?
We're on the same page now. :)
By Hatter313
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:09 pm Image
I quite enjoyed this. Fun bump at the end. I suspected something like what it was but not exactly what was going on and definitely got a good out loud laugh from me. Solid work I thought
By Hatter313
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:16 pm in 4K and haven't seen this since end of the 80s or beginning 90's
sometimes it feels more of a comedy than a horror... and than it is scary again...

I watch this movie multiple times a year. The “controversy” regarding who directed it misses what feels like the real truth to me, which is whatever occurred behind the scenes created a situation where Hooper’s visceral and raw sensibilities complemented Spielberg’s yuppie fantasies and created something truly close to perfect. Well rounded characters, charming moments of comfortable humor, people you care about, fantastic effects, one of the finest scores in the genres history, LIKABLE child actors and genuine scares.

I find todays bad faith criticism and need for everything to be “perfect” or a “masterpiece” unbelievably boring BUT I do think watching the care that went into a movie like this from every angle goes to show that maybe sometimes we are missing something today.

I also think the second one is almost on par, but I’ll save that lonely soap box for another day

Also I have a particular affinity for The Univited (1944) and you can see its influence here a lot. I always smile when Diane says “smell that mimosa”
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:04 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:16 pm in 4K and haven't seen this since end of the 80s or beginning 90's

I watch this movie multiple times a year. The “controversy” regarding who directed it misses what feels like the real truth to me, which is whatever occurred behind the scenes created a situation where Hooper’s visceral and raw sensibilities complemented Spielberg’s yuppie fantasies and created something truly close to perfect. Well rounded characters, charming moments of comfortable humor, people you care about, fantastic effects, one of the finest scores in the genres history, LIKABLE child actors and genuine scares.

I find todays bad faith criticism and need for everything to be “perfect” or a “masterpiece” unbelievably boring BUT I do think watching the care that went into a movie like this from every angle goes to show that maybe sometimes we are missing something today.

I also think the second one is almost on par, but I’ll save that lonely soap box for another day

Also I have a particular affinity for The Univited (1944) and you can see its influence here a lot. I always smile when Diane says “smell that mimosa”
Hear hear!

And psst… you aint alone on Part 2 ;)

Here’s something I find pretty interesting - while I agree with you about the care that went into it, the imdb listed goofs/mistakes for this film is bananas long and quite a fun time can be had just going thru the movie checking them out- some are truly nuts. And yet, you’ll also notice just how few of them you noticed watching the film, or any that you did had no impact on the enjoyment of the story/never pull you out. That’s a real sign of something to me, that actually it’s NOT perfect, technically, and yet the overwhelming impression you have is that it is.
By inksb
I watched Poltergeist a few weeks ago, very late into an evening that I couldn't sleep. I love it so much, like @hatter I usually watch a few times a year. The Spielberg/Hooper directing debate makes zero sense to me because there are many moments through out the film that are undeniably Hooper. Sure Spielberg had a heavy hand and there are scenes where it seems like he took over but to say the film is entirely directed by Spielberg just means you're not actually watching the movie.

I need to revisit Poltergeist 2, I love it but only seen it a few times.

Everyone should watch the Werewolf thing on Disney + that just came out, it's very fun.
By Hatter313
That goofs list is super long! I remember getting lost in it not too long ago. And your summation is exactly it.

I can’t imagine seeing the movie without that awkward cut from the kitchen to the mosquito scene, it’s just…part of the magic for me now.

Here here for the P2 gang! There’s so little Will Sampson on film we should cherish all of it. And god help me if Julian Beck isn’t 100% aware of how creepy he looks,

I cahoot with no one.
By Hatter313
Checking this 4k of Fright Night

Another film I find it difficult to put into words how much I love this movie. So so so many effortlessly perfect moments.

Dandridge sitting in the chair when Charlie comes home, his smirking charm throughout the whole movie

Ed’s transformation and final scene

Dandridge’s bark of laughter when confronted with the cross

The absolute treat McDowell gives us in Peter Vincent

“You’re out of time, Mr. Dandridge”
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:39 pm Checking this 4k of Fright Night

Another film I find it difficult to put into words how much I love this movie. So so so many effortlessly perfect moments.

Dandridge sitting in the chair when Charlie comes home, his smirking charm throughout the whole movie

The amount of classics being upgrade to 4K over the last two years is a bit overwhelming. Stuff like Fright Night, Candyman, Night of the Living Dead, American Werewolf in London, Lifeforce, TCM2, etc. are all things I want to upgrade but can't justify at the moment. I upgraded TCM2 and probably will Lifeforce as I'm a bit of a Hooper fanatic but the Arrow blurays from just a few years ago of Candyman and Werewolf look spectacular. Night of the Living Dead from Criterion was mind blowing, at least with that one I can get it from the B&N half off sale.

What 4K upgrades have you made Hatter that you think are essential to make?
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:28 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:39 pm Checking this 4k of Fright Night

The amount of classics being upgrade to 4K over the last two years is a bit overwhelming. Stuff like Fright Night, Candyman, Night of the Living Dead, American Werewolf in London, Lifeforce, TCM2, etc. are all things I want to upgrade but can't justify at the moment. I upgraded TCM2 and probably will Lifeforce as I'm a bit of a Hooper fanatic but the Arrow blurays from just a few years ago of Candyman and Werewolf look spectacular. Night of the Living Dead from Criterion was mind blowing, at least with that one I can get it from the B&N half off sale.

What 4K upgrades have you made Hatter that you think are essential to make?
Oh I’m a little compulsive in that arena. Like you , I wasn’t going to bother with like American werewolf but then I ended up doing it anyway. I’m trying to keep it to my favorites and not go nuts, or movies that I never got around to getting on blu.

Overall I’d have to say I’ve been thrilled with most of the carpenter upgrades. The recent vinegar syndrome amityville horror release blew me away, and fright night looked incredible last night. Suspiria looked great as well from synapse, and I have been upgrading all the Argentos but haven’t gotten around to watching them yet.

First Blood was another gorgeous 4k that really jumped out at me.

I have NOTLD coming this week, no way I wasn’t upgrading that.
By Hatter313
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:48 pm Image
I know I have sang this song a few times, even recently, but the opening credits here are my favorite Goldsmith cut ever.
By tim28212
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:58 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:48 pm Image
I know I have sang this song a few times, even recently, but the opening credits here are my favorite Goldsmith cut ever.
Sure wish the expanded would get a vinyl release.
By inksb
I was able to attend Joe Bob Briggs Indoor Drive-In event this past weekend titled Cerebellum Night. I've been a fan of Joe Bob since I was young watching him on Monster Vision on TNT. I watch a lot of his show on Shudder and just enjoy his knowledge and commentary on a lot of the films even if I don't always agree with him. Darcy had a family issue going on so she didn't show up until the end of the night and she honestly didn't look like she wanted to be there or be social so I didn't get a chance to meet her but I did get to briefly talk to Joe Bob who was much nicer and friendly that I imagined he would be.

The double feature was The Brain and Brain Damage. I've seen Brain Damage a bunch, it's my favorite Henenlotter film but The Brain was entirely new to me. I have seen the opening scene of The Brain before because it's ridiculous and I of course have the Paul Zaza score from TV on cassette. Both me and the Mrs enjoyed the hell out of The Brain, it's insane amount of close ups of faces, really fun effects of the Brain itself, David Gale playing another crazy doctor and the marathon level of running in this film (the final act is pretty much all a huge chase scene). This was my first time seeing Brain Damage on the big screen and it was glorious, these DHCP's were provided by AGFA which the event was in partnership with and they looked stellar. In fact the screen we watched the films on was a domed IMAX screen, the movies were insanely large that it was overwhelming.

Joe Bob did a 40 minute presentation on the history of brain films which was fascinating and I knew none of it. Then he did his typical pre-movie breakdown of what is in the film and how he rates it. In between the films he came back out to discuss The Brain and how it never lets the audience know the protagonists motivation, then a Q&A and his intro to Brain Damage. It was a very late night and I had to travel 80 minutes to and from the venue but it was worth it.

I also watched Deathstream on Shudder, it's a "found footage" film that's taking the piss out of streamers. It has some fun stuff in it and a few clever tricks, one in particular how it manages to have a score while making it a part of the film with justification. I can't say it's necessary viewing but if you're bored and don't know what to watch this was a breezy 90 minute watch.

We have been watching all the Regular Show Halloween episodes which has been a blast as well.