A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
I like Offerings quite a bit, in the same way I love Super8 monster kid movies. Eyes... is a proper film though.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:21 pm I like Offerings quite a bit, in the same way I love Super8 monster kid movies. Eyes... is a proper film though.
I did not care for Offerings. But Eyes of a Stranger is something else.
By inksb
Just got this set in. So excited to see all these in 4K and really excited to see a proper HD restoration of Police Story 3, one of my favorite Jackie films.

PSX_20220928_120825.jpg
PSX_20220928_120825.jpg (325.13 KiB) Viewed 774 times
PSX_20220928_120840.jpg
PSX_20220928_120840.jpg (242.4 KiB) Viewed 774 times
By inksb

Barbarian dir by Zach Cregger

I wanted to go see Pearl but my buddy was super adamant we go see Barbarian instead (he wasn't a huge fan of X) so I opted for this. I think the hype got to me on it, I saw so many positive to raving reviews I think my expectations were too high. I really enjoyed the film but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. The opening 20 minutes were so fucking awkward and tense beyond that stuff played out in ways I didn't expect but then exactly how I expected for the finale. It's an interesting film for sure and the cast is really good, in particular I enjoyed Georgina Campbell a lot. This one is so full of the typical "why the hell would you do that" horror moments that you're rolling your eyes by the end. Definitely watch it with out reading anything about it, it will benefit your viewing, I think if I had known anything about the plot going in I would have not enjoyed it nearly as much.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:48 am the Deepest Cuts Vol. 1 saga continues

The theme song is such a banger! I still haven’t watched the film though, did you enjoy?
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:31 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:48 am the Deepest Cuts Vol. 1 saga continues

The theme song is such a banger! I still haven’t watched the film though, did you enjoy?
yeah, not great but enjoyable enough
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:23 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:19 pm Image
How was this? The trailer looked quite good
It was nice. Nothing spectacular. Well made. I enjoyed it but not blown away.
I said the same thing in three different ways I see now :-)
Above average!
By inksb

My Best Friend's Exorcism dir by Damon Thomas

I had pretty high expectations going into this as I really enjoyed the book and it felt like the perfect book to be turned into a film. Well let me just say don't even bother watching this, it's a huge let down. One of the most rushed stories I've ever seen, instead of taking specific story beats and distilling down the essence of the book into a 90 minute film, they opted to just skim 70% of the books events, skip over one very important major section of the book, omit a bunch of small details that really help tie everything together and change random things that make zero sense. The cast was fine, I felt like they played their roles well and could easily be the characters in the book. Due to the simplifying and skimming of the story there was no urgency to any of it. Watch it if you've read the book and are curious but you could just take my word for it that it's not worth your time.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:06 pm B9AC0069-5171-4AF4-B125-E15EAEFE9AD2.png
Under rated in every way.

You are disturbing the peaceful state of mind that i am in.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:32 pm Image

My Best Friend's Exorcism dir by Damon Thomas

I had pretty high expectations going into this as I really enjoyed the book and it felt like the perfect book to be turned into a film. Well let me just say don't even bother watching this, it's a huge let down. One of the most rushed stories I've ever seen, instead of taking specific story beats and distilling down the essence of the book into a 90 minute film, they opted to just skim 70% of the books events, skip over one very important major section of the book, omit a bunch of small details that really help tie everything together and change random things that make zero sense. The cast was fine, I felt like they played their roles well and could easily be the characters in the book. Due to the simplifying and skimming of the story there was no urgency to any of it. Watch it if you've read the book and are curious but you could just take my word for it that it's not worth your time.
ok apparently everything i typed vanished but short version is, Seconded. what a brilliant book stripped of its melancholy and brutal tragedy. Hendrix is so good at taking a trope and reminding you of why it used to be scary and that just got left behind. its a fine B movie, but it could have been one of the best of its kind if they'd given it the breathing room it required. The book rivals the exorcist in terms of possession stories. the film is another retread.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:52 pm
inksb wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:32 pm My Best Friend's Exorcism dir by Damon Thomas

ok apparently everything i typed vanished but short version is, Seconded. what a brilliant book stripped of its melancholy and brutal tragedy. Hendrix is so good at taking a trope and reminding you of why it used to be scary and that just got left behind. its a fine B movie, but it could have been one of the best of its kind if they'd given it the breathing room it required. The book rivals the exorcist in terms of possession stories. the film is another retread.
I found the fact that they almost completely skipped Gretchen's "fight" against the demon insane, where she's not sleeping, not eating, getting raped every night by the demon, smelling like rotten flesh, face being worse than Abby's, etc, That whole section of the book which sets the tone for the big turn and rest of the book was just such an odd choice and you never get a grasp on why Abby would even want to save this person, because they just removed the part where you see Abby falling to pieces trying to help her friend.

Also that final "showdown" where they basically are fighting Dobby from Harry Potter was just embarrassing. The whole thing feels like it was made by people who had no interest in the original and just wanted to cash in on the success of something they heard about
By Hatter313
Yeah that climax was truly baffling. to the point where I grabbed the book off the shelf to read the whole exorcism scene again convinced i had forgotten something.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:51 pm

When you fuck with me…. you’re fuckin’ with the best.

Thoroughly enjoyable rewatch and perfect kick off to my Octooky movie schedule.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:40 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:51 pm

When you fuck with me…. you’re fuckin’ with the best.

Thoroughly enjoyable rewatch and perfect kick off to my Octooky movie schedule.
One of my all time favorites, i'll go to bat for it any day. the little character actor parts from Julie Harris and Royal Dano just icing on an already awesome cake. And I know i'm preaching to the choir here around these parts when i talk about Christopher Young, but don't sleep on this score.
By inksb

Hocus Pocus 2
dir by Anne Fletcher

You want to watch a sequel to a movie that's completely devoid of the charm the original film had? Then watch this giant turd. I'm completely baffled that the director who is responsible for such classic films as The Proposal, Hot Pursuit and The Guilt Trip managed to make this film (in all seriousness, how did she get this job?). I would love to have seen some one like Axelle Carolyn or Leigh Janiak tackle this film. It's a really poor retread of the first where it felt like they were just running down a checklist of things they needed to do in a sequel to make sure people who saw the first would "get it". Sam Richardson is usually quite entertaining in his roles but here it's like some one wrote his character specifically for him then told him to impersonate himself delivering those lines but also in the most annoying way possible. I honestly wasn't expecting much from this film and it was even worse than I imagined it would be.

Carved: The Slit Mouthed Woman dir by Koji Shiraishi

This one was interesting, it's based on Japanese folklore about a pretty woman whose mouth was slit ear to ear but wears a mask to cover it, she will ask you if you think she's pretty, if you say no she kills you with her huge scissors, if you say yes then she removes her mask showing you her disfigurement then asks again, if you say no she kills you and yes she cuts you the same as she's cut. Koji took that urban legend and rolled it into a tale about child abuse and it produced mixed results. The film is a little slow, it's shot with a brown color tone to everything which gives it an odd feeling and your main character beats her child so you don't really feel like rooting for her. It's probably my least favorite Koji film I've watched but it's still pretty interesting and I'm glad I watched it because it introduced me to this piece of Japanese folklore I didn't really know about.
By Bezulsqy
did not really care for this in the end... had a lot of potential at first but become to predictable.

By static14
Thin plot, rushed progression, and I really didn't care for the new twist with the puzzle box.
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpeg
maxresdefault.jpeg (51.83 KiB) Viewed 598 times