A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:36 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:01 pm
inksb wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:38 pm let me know what your user name is on there once you get it set up. I am trying to use it again, I'm terrible at logging movies on there but I'll get the itch to try every 6-12 months.
I went through the last 100 pages of this thread and I am the start of the Covid pandemic :-)
Added just over 600 titles...
Damn! You are far more dedicated to it than me. I feel pretty good though I've kept consistent for almost 2 weeks now lol
Finished going through all pages. Unfortunately the last 5 or so have images missing). Need to check with my excel files to add more but without a watched date.
By Bezulsqy
static14 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:33 pm @Bez 4k? they did a stellar job cleaning it up. :)
Yes. Looked incredible for a movie like that.
By Bezulsqy
Should I watch Gattaca tonight? I have never seen it before.
Or American Gangster (Extended)? I have seen the theatrical cut ones back when I believe.
I am watching Scream VI afterwards.
By ScoJo
Watched S1 of Condor the last few days, enjoyable enough to start on S2 over the weekend.

Decent update of the source novel/70s film, nothing astonishing but compelling and has a stacked cast - Bob Balaban is great of course.

My big ‘meh’ is reserved for Max Irons who is just fine, but severely lacking the charisma of Redford in corduroys and high collar navy pea coat.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:24 pm Should I watch Gattaca tonight? I have never seen it before.
Or American Gangster (Extended)? I have seen the theatrical cut ones back when I believe.
I am watching Scream VI afterwards.
Gattaca very good. It’s quite a bummer tho, be warned. Dour, thoughtful sci-fi.

I didn’t realise there was an extended AG but of course that makes sense since it’s Ridley. I probably have more DCuts/extended versions of his flicks than the next three most prolific directors DCs combined.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Now do we need this in 4k? Don‘t know, but the Second Sight release that I preordered some months ago and that arrived today just feels like the right way to re-experience this classic. Last time I watched this must be around 20 years ago - pretty sure it still packs a punch.
Attachments
IMG_0653.jpeg
IMG_0653.jpeg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 784 times
By Bezulsqy
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:32 pm Now do we need this in 4k? Don‘t know, but the Second Sight release that I preordered some months ago and that arrived today just feels like the right way to re-experience this classic. Last time I watched this must be around 20 years ago - pretty sure it still packs a punch.
Of course we need this in 4K!
By ChrisMcQueen007
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:05 pm
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:32 pm Now do we need this in 4k? Don‘t know, but the Second Sight release that I preordered some months ago and that arrived today just feels like the right way to re-experience this classic. Last time I watched this must be around 20 years ago - pretty sure it still packs a punch.
Of course we need this in 4K!
:)

And it did still pack a punch.
By Hatter313
The closer we get to the fidelity of theatrical presentation the better. Provided it is a restoration and not a modification, then to me 4k is the natural complement of listening to analog recordings on vinyl barring the ability to actually project 35mm film in my living room. I want as close to the pristine beauty of an original screening as I can get. I may not upgrade every movie, but this one? Not even a question.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Hatter313 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:15 am The closer we get to the fidelity of theatrical presentation the better. Provided it is a restoration and not a modification, then to me 4k is the natural complement of listening to analog recordings on vinyl barring the ability to actually project 35mm film in my living room. I want as close to the pristine beauty of an original screening as I can get. I may not upgrade every movie, but this one? Not even a question.
I can absolutlely subscribe to that approach, that's why I am still into physical media or at least always make an effort to watch movies that are dear to my heart in the best possible way - which at home is 4k.

That said, TCM was the first film where I had some doubts before pushing the button and ordering the fancy Second Sights films release wether I would really appreciate it in 4k ( the ol' for this particular film, blown up 16 mm et al, the´VHS grindhouse look is best' -argument) - but I'm very happy I got it. The nice thing about 4k is, as you point out, that, if done well, it brings you really close to that vibrant and beautiful 'cinematic' experience, film grain and all.
By ScoJo
4k can really show up cheapo/of-their-time Visual FX in older movies.... and I'm all here for it :D
By inksb
I'm all for these horror film 4K upgrades. Especially if they are new scans of original elements. Yes certain films will only look so good but as Hatter says the closer I can get to a true cinema experience at home the happier I am. A friend of mine sent me a 4K scan of a 35mm print of T2 and I'm fucking ecstatic over seeing this film with the proper color timing again. I sampled the opening and it's a scratchy mess but it looks really good.

I've upgraded most of my Carpenter films (still need They Live & The Fog), just recently got TCM2 & From Beyond although I need to upgrade a few other horror classics like Candyman, Fright Night and Lifeforce. I'm not jumping on most of these the moment they go on sale bc I know they'll be around for a bit and will grab them when I have the extra cash.
By Bezulsqy
For me a big part of these upgraded releases also is the sound quality. It is uncanny how great some of these releases look without loosing the gritty feeling some titles have.
By Bezulsqy
I decided that when I don't know what to watch I will pick a horror flick from 1980. Not the 1980s but the year 1980. I still have at least 20 to see. Today I watched the one with the lowest ranking in my collection...

By ScoJo
Hell of a year, brilliant idea B!

I’m sure you’ll get to everything in good time, but I have to throw a shout out to neglected shocker The Children.

7DDD76FF-4281-4F17-8828-C16CDAE877FD.png
7DDD76FF-4281-4F17-8828-C16CDAE877FD.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 695 times