A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
download.jpg
download.jpg (8.37 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Been close to a decade since I've watched this. I will not let so much time pass again. every moment is hysterical perfection and its a shame so many people didn't seem to discover Richard E Grant until recently
By inksb
Almost Human (aka The Death Dealer). Directed by Umberto Lenzi. I've owned this bluray for ages and finally got around to watching it. It was decent. The main characters is such a piece of shit it was hard for me to get into the film as he's the focus. Worth a watch if you are into Poliziotteschi.

@bez have you watched this one? What did you think?

One of Besson's better films of the last decade. I really enjoy it even though it's not that great of film. Scarlett is great in the roll, I like the set up and most of the execution. The finale could have been better but it is what it is. I picked this up on 4K a few black fridays ago for under $10. It's one of the best looking 4K films I've seen that's not super CG heavy. A true 4K transfer is impressive.

Look at this poster!!!! I want this. It looks like a giallo poster. Blood Simple is a classic. I revisit every few years and it gets better and better. I love it. Am I crazy or was France McDormand pretty cute when she was younger? Any one else a fan around here? I've come to realize over the last few years not as many people enjoy the Coens as much as me.
By Hatter313
oh my god I thought a Giallo had just stolen the title, that poster is incredible!

I've been on a total Coen kick lately, sparked by ScoJo spinning the above score a few weeks ago. Blood Simple is one fo the best debuts ever
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:22 pm oh my god I thought a Giallo had just stolen the title, that poster is incredible!

I've been on a total Coen kick lately, sparked by ScoJo spinning the above score a few weeks ago. Blood Simple is one fo the best debuts ever
Agreed! It's such an incredible debut. What are some of your favorites from them? I've been lazy when it comes to keeping up, I still haven't seen their last two films
By Jimmy_Mike
I think Fargo and No Country are down right perfect films. My other favorites are a Serious Man, Lebowski, Burn After Reading and Raising Arizona. My dad is a huge fan and made sure I saw all the brothers' films. Completely agree that Blood Simple is a monster debut.
By inksb
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:15 pm I think Fargo and No Country are down right perfect films. My other favorites are a Serious Man, Lebowski, Burn After Reading and Raising Arizona. My dad is a huge fan and made sure I saw all the brothers' films. Completely agree that Blood Simple is a monster debut.
Yeah my personal favorites from them are Fargo, Lebowski, No Country, Blood Simple and Raising Arizona. I really like most of their films. I didn't really like Ladykillers or Intolerable Cruelty very much. Inside Llewyn Davis had such an unlikable character that it made me not really want to watch it again even though it was very well made. I want to revisit Barton Fink soon, I remember loving that one but it's been about a decade so I can't say if it still holds up for me.
By Jimmy_Mike
I also remember loving The Man Who Wasn't There, but I need to revisit as I only saw it once in theater.
By ScoJo
Of their 'unloved' movies, I'm a huge fan of Intolerable and especially Ladykillers - that film might be their most straight up hilarious film. Damn skippy. I rewatched a few recently including those two, but also Buster Scruggs (really beautiful film, seriously dark in places, all interesting episodes - I could watch the Tom Waits episode for two hours though!) and Hail, Caesar which is easily the film of theirs which I am most baffled by. It has so many fun things in it, but I honestly can't get my head round it as a complete story. It just amounts to nothing. Very weird.

So top five then?
By Hatter313
I’m not actually a huge fan of their recent work. Like a lot of people I was confused about hail Caesar. Great moments/vignettes/recreations but so underdeveloped as a script

The reason I went on this kick was to reassess my assessment of them, which was largely hit or miss for me. I’d say overall blood simple through o brother I’m thrilled with, with Fargo being a particular standout. After that I get spotty.
By Hatter313
And actually to echo ScoJo, I’m a huge fan of intolerable cruelty. I feel like Clooney leaning into his second coming of Cary Grant thing is great.

Still needs to watch buster Scruggs, heard very hood things and I think Tim Blake Nelson is always great.
By zuko
One that nobody’s mentioned that would make my top 5 is True Grit. The cast are all phenomenal, Deakins is on fire, and one of my favourite Burwell scores. I think maybe it gets overlooked a little as a Coen’s joint as it’s a pretty straight story, there’s maybe not so much of the wry, black-humoured world view.
Last edited by zuko on Thu May 21, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
zuko wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:40 pm One that nobody’s mentioned that would make my top 5 is True Grit. The cast are all phenomenal, Deakins is on fire, and one of my favourite Burrell scores. I think maybe it gets overlooked a little as a Coen’s joint as it’s a pretty straight story, there’s maybe not so much of the wry, black-humoured world view.
TG is terrific, very rewatchable and quotable imo
By inksb
I really like True Grit too, it's not top tier for me but like ScoJo said very rewatchable.
By Bezulsqy
Need to rewatch Blood SImple!

I thought I had seen this one but I hadn't. That score...

By Hatter313
The scene with the doctor in the woods with the corpse is PURE coens haha, VERY solid flick, and definitely one of the recent ones I really like.
By inksb
double1.jpg
double1.jpg (108.59 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
The wife decided on this fun double feature this weekend. She surprisingly had never seen Teen Wolf. The look on her face when the father showed he was a werewolf too was priceless.

This showed up on Shudder, not sure why they decided to split it up into episodes as it was doing the festival tour as a 'short' film. It's a visually pleasing experience, it's probably the best thing Carpenter Brut has done imo (although I'm not their biggest fan). The acting is poor, stiff and odd. The rough sketch of a story is stretched out from 15 minute idea to 50 but I had fun watching it and thought it looked really awesome with some fantastic design work. Definitely worth checking out.

I bought this bluray on a whim a few years ago when I was just buying up all the weird slashers I could find on bluray. I had very low expectations going into this but actually really enjoyed it. It's low tier 80s slasher but a fairly well done one. I thought they skimped on gore for most of the kills but they made up for it in the final act, there was a pretty fun and creative low budget beheading. Only recommend to those that like watching every slasher they can find.

This was a strange one. It wasn't what I was expecting, lots of weird and strange choices through out. I'm not 100% sure what was happening at all times both because I was a little drunk but also the story doesn't quite line up in places. Some fun effects shots in a few places, weird and bad acting. Definitely one I'll revisit in a year or two to re-evaluate.
By Bezulsqy
We watched Rocky yesterday. My girlfriend and her son had never seen it...
Still a fantastic movie.

By inksb
Has anyone here watched Park Chan-wook's The Little Drummer Girl? 4 part series on Amazon I think. I started it last night and really enjoyed the first episode, it's shot incredibly well.
By abedunk
I'm interested to hear opinions of Antrum: The Deadliest Film Ever Made. I just watched it last weekend and was really affected by it. Sure, marijuana is legal where I am, and may have enhanced my viewing experience, but there's a definite creepy vibe throughout.

Obviously owes a lot to Blair Witch, this fake "unearthed cursed film" supposedly causes the death of everyone who'd seen it upon the "1979 release", including a burned down Hungarian cinema that had screened the film. Yeah.

So, if you can give in to the fantasy - as silly as it may seem - you might find yourself pretty freaked out. I did.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhRYNJOtYC8

Your thoughts??
By deafmetal
re: Blood Simple - such a monster of a debut from the Coen Brothers. I was floored by this film when I first saw it back in the day. I don't remember in which order I first saw their films as it's a bit too fuzzy now, but it was pretty early on, and it was just so raw and real. It has to be in the top three for me, or at least top five. I just love that Italian poster, damn, I want one now. I grew up in Minnesota, so I feel a special affection for the Brothers, and especially Fargo, but Blood Simple lacks their later humor and is just grim and grisly. I feel that No Country... was an excellent return to this type of storytelling for them.

re: Blood Machines - I fired up the ol' Shudder over the weekend and watched this while pretty deep in a thc journey and it was enjoyable. I caught some hints of perhaps Besson or even Jeunet scifi humor here and there, but the visual effects and imagery were top-notch and the tunes by Carpenter Brut had the blood pumpin'. I'm always down for space titties and techno, add in some cool-ass plasma guns and spaceships and it's a done deal. Recommended.

Also, finally watched Alien: Convenant. I was not bored, but it did not feel like a really excellent follow-up to Prometheus. I did enjoy Michael Fassbender's acting and the new alien designs, as well some of the colony ship design and crew interactions. It sometimes feel like Ridley Scott just tries too hard if I am watching a character playing a wooden flute playing Goldsmith's Alien motifs in the fucking film. Maybe it's just too meta for me? I guess it's better than a really lame "action movie" soundtrack being phoned in by somebody, but we are already hearing Goldsmith's original OST being recycled over and over and now characters are running around piping it on flutes. It really took me out of the film. I saw that character twist coming a mile way too, ah well. Still had fun.
By inksb
Covenant was so unremarkable I don't even remember that scene with the wooden flute. I actually don't remember much of the film except I was ok with the film until a certain scene and at that point I was checked out of the film, it never pulled me back in.
By inksb
abedunk wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:07 pm I'm interested to hear opinions of Antrum: The Deadliest Film Ever Made. I just watched it last weekend and was really affected by it. Sure, marijuana is legal where I am, and may have enhanced my viewing experience, but there's a definite creepy vibe throughout.
I dont' think I've heard of this one, I will try to check it out next week. Is it streaming anywhere or was it VOD?
By abedunk
Antrum is streaming on Amazon Prime
inksb wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:39 am
abedunk wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:07 pm I'm interested to hear opinions of Antrum: The Deadliest Film Ever Made. I just watched it last weekend and was really affected by it. Sure, marijuana is legal where I am, and may have enhanced my viewing experience, but there's a definite creepy vibe throughout.
I dont' think I've heard of this one, I will try to check it out next week. Is it streaming anywhere or was it VOD?