A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
The Cult Leader wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:25 am Going through all movies up to Nemesis. I wasn't a fan of JJ Abrams films. I do wish someone could step up and give us the new Star Trek movie we deserve. Bring back The Borg!

20231128_201302.jpg
What did you think of Picard?
By Bezulsqy
The Cult Leader wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:25 am Going through all movies up to Nemesis. I wasn't a fan of JJ Abrams films. I do wish someone could step up and give us the new Star Trek movie we deserve. Bring back The Borg!

20231128_201302.jpg
I did this last year. A lot of fun!
By inksb
I actually enjoyed the Abrams films for what they were. In particular I thought the 3rd one was quite fun. They are not Star Trek films that old fans wanted but I think they were a cool way to get younger people into the series. I was raised on TNG, my father and I sat down every week to watch new episodes. On the weekends we watched original series re-runs. And we were big fans of DS9. I fell off during Voyager but I've dabbled in various shows ever since but outside of the newest Lower Decks one I haven't really liked much. My dad has continued to watch everything all the way up until now though, he never stopped lol
By Bub
inksb wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:55 pm My dad has continued to watch everything all the way up until now though, he never stopped lol

By inksb
I have two animated tv series recommendations for everyone today
Screenshot 2023-12-06 101047.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-06 101047.jpg (81.11 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

Pluto

I am completely unfamiliar with the source material for this series, I just was told I needed to check it out as it's really good. So when I sat down to watch it I was a little surprised to see an anime series with hour long episodes. It takes place in the world of Astro Boy who most people are familiar with regardless of whether they watch anime or not. It's a very adult series that focuses on a robot detective trying to figure out who/what is killing all the big popular/powerful robots in the world. It's incredibly well written, the voice cast is stacked, I'm watching it in English and it's so damn good. Standout's are Keith David and Richard Epcar who has voiced Batou in every English iteration of Ghost in the Shell since the first in the 90's and he also happens to voice Daiske Jigen in Lupin for the last decade or so worth of TV/movies. Animation is really strong but the writing is the real draw here. Definitely recommend this one

Screenshot 2023-12-06 101013.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-06 101013.jpg (88.59 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off

I've always enjoyed Scott Pilgrim, I read the comics years ago when they came out and the film is quite fun adaption. I was excited that we were finally getting an animated version of the series and I assumed based on it's title that it was a sort of sequel. I started the first episode and was quite disappointed that it was just a remake/retelling of the comic/movie, until the final moments of the episode where thing did not play out as it originally had. This piqued my interest quite a bit more, for the next 7 episodes we get to see the world of Scott Pilgrim through the eyes of Ramona Flowers, she tries to figure out what happened to Scott and each episode focuses on her meeting back up with evil exes and trying to piece everything together. It plays out in a fun and clever way that puts a different spin on the characters, develops the exes more than even the original comic ever did and has insane fight scenes in each episode (sometimes for no real reason other than to show off lol). I really enjoyed this and recommend it to anyone who has read and/or watched the original film. There's some great casting late in the series that I just thought was perfect.
By The Cult Leader
deafmetal wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:42 am

20231128_201302.jpg
What did you think of Picard?
By The Cult Leader
I deleted reply by mistake, but I liked Picard. It took me by surprise as I was not expecting it. TNG was my favorite series and Picard was a fun send-off.
By inksb
Screenshot 2023-12-12 090923.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-12 090923.jpg (65.91 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

Killers of the Flower Moon dir by Marty

I thought this was fantastic. Even at 3.5 hrs it's well paced and never feels like a slog. The acting was phenomenal, so many great little roles sprinkled in. I was very surprised to see Jason Isbell featured in a fairly prominent side role. Made me very happy to see Larry Fessenden in here too. Highly recommend every one check this one out. Even at 81 years old Marty still outclasses many filmmakers, it's so impressive
By deafmetal
The Cult Leader wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:33 am I deleted reply by mistake, but I liked Picard. It took me by surprise as I was not expecting it. TNG was my favorite series and Picard was a fun send-off.
Great, I was hoping you checked it out especially considering your request to bring back The Borg...
By The Cult Leader
To me The Borg are among the most scariest villains in popular culture. I would really like to see a new stand alone film in space with the classic Borg as the main antagonists.
By zuko
Damn, me neither. Just when I thought I was done with these modern legacy sequels the bastards pull me back in!
By inksb
The Monster Squad is one of my all time favorites. I used to watch it all the time when I was younger at my aunt & uncles house. They had a "library" of movies they taped off of HBO through the 80's and early 90's
By ScoJo
Jesus christ Bez. Wtf have you been doing with your life?!

Kidding aside... welcome to the Squad.

Oh and...

monster-squad-know-any-virgins.gif
monster-squad-know-any-virgins.gif (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1154 times
By inksb
Really? I heard it was pretty good. That's a bummer. I'll be checking it out this weekend hopefully.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:31 pm Really? I heard it was pretty good. That's a bummer. I'll be checking it out this weekend hopefully.
I am very curious to hear what you think, but I found it very uninteresting and underwhelming.