A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:03 pm Gozu is one of my favorite Miike films. I keep hoping some one will release a restored version on bluray.

@bez, if you haven't watch any Miike films from the last decade or so I have some recommendations.
First Love
Blade of the Immortal
Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai
13 Assassins

A few I haven't seen but I know others enjoy, Yakuza Apocalypse, Terra Formars, As the Gods Will and Lessons of Evil.

The four I recommended are really good and worth checking out, especially Blade of the Immortal
Thanks for the tips. I haven't seen any of them and I will definitely give them a go.
By inksb

Archive 81
I had never heard of this leading up to it's release, a friend told me Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead directed two episodes so I decided to check it out. It sucked me right in, I watched all 8 episodes over the last 4 days. Basic setup is a film archivist get's hired by some rich guy to restore some damaged tapes, the client provides all of the equipment and the restoration is done in his family's giant "compound". The archivist is all alone in this huge house restoring these tapes. The footage found on them is from a young woman in 1994 who moves into a strange building looking for her mother while also trying to document the people who live in the building. A weird and captivating mystery unfolds from there. I'll say this, the first 6 episodes are fantastic, the 7th does something I kind of hate that has happened a lot in recent series and the 8th wraps up everything with a little too much exposition. I really enjoyed this and recommend folks around here check it out. It's not perfect but it's worth your time. Benson & Moorhead's second episode (I think ep.4) is the best in series and has some genuine creepy shit going on.
By tim28212
inksb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:59 pm Image

Archive 81
I had never heard of this leading up to it's release, a friend told me Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead directed two episodes so I decided to check it out. It sucked me right in, I watched all 8 episodes over the last 4 days. Basic setup is a film archivist get's hired by some rich guy to restore some damaged tapes, the client provides all of the equipment and the restoration is done in his family's giant "compound". The archivist is all alone in this huge house restoring these tapes. The footage found on them is from a young woman in 1994 who moves into a strange building looking for her mother while also trying to document the people who live in the building. A weird and captivating mystery unfolds from there. I'll say this, the first 6 episodes are fantastic, the 7th does something I kind of hate that has happened a lot in recent series and the 8th wraps up everything with a little too much exposition. I really enjoyed this and recommend folks around here check it out. It's not perfect but it's worth your time. Benson & Moorhead's second episode (I think ep.4) is the best in series and has some genuine creepy shit going on.
This came up on my Netflix feed. It looked interesting. We'll give it a try.
By Hatter313
I'mm halfway through this and saving the back half for something to do when i'm snowed in Saturday, so far I love it.
By ChrisMcQueen007
First time watch. I‘ve seen my fair share of gialli but this one has always eluded me. I have pretty high expectations as it is considered to be a strong entry within the subgenre. And nice to finally see the images accompanying Il Maestro‘s music. :)
Attachments
7C23857A-2969-40A8-BA7E-23150D8A18B9.jpeg
7C23857A-2969-40A8-BA7E-23150D8A18B9.jpeg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 2390 times
By ScoJo
I've been planning this double bill for a while, just finishing up the 2nd half.

One of these movies is still badass, and has held up really well (for over forty years).

The other one is pretty good.

0F2FD35B-9095-423F-AFB0-D46E75F8F9DF-5570-0000072D224C264F.jpg
0F2FD35B-9095-423F-AFB0-D46E75F8F9DF-5570-0000072D224C264F.jpg (149.93 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
4B6E3A93-686F-49D3-8DE5-24E8B6164BE6-5570-0000072F5F0EDDFA.png
4B6E3A93-686F-49D3-8DE5-24E8B6164BE6-5570-0000072F5F0EDDFA.png (298.45 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
By inksb
The Driver is so damn good. I had heard about it for years and when I finally watched it was blown away with how good it was.

Drive on the other hand, I enjoyed but never got the insane love and infatuation for. I think at the time of Drive's release I preferred Bronson and the Pusher films more. I need to revisit Valhalla Rising, don't remember much of it other than being visually appeasing to my stoned brain.
By inksb

The Last Matinee dir by Maximiliano Contenti

Well this one was pretty fun. It's a huge love letter to movie theaters, giallo and slasher films. It has that Popcorn/Demons feel, the gore gags are pretty great, there is a fantastic throat slash and a bunch of very gooey gelatinous looking blood. The film is very straightforward plot wise but the combination of score, cinematography, lighting and love for films of similar nature combine to make for a very fun time. Arrow Video put this out on bluray and it was recently added to Shudder. Highly recommended if you like Popcorn, Demons and 80's giallo (very specifically 80's not 70's)
By tim28212
Watched the first episode of Archive 81 this weekend. It grabbed me, it has alot going on.

A little too creepy for David. I'll be finishing it on my own. :)
By Bezulsqy
Solange is excellent!
And I also did not care that much about Drive. I am sure I have seen The Driver but I cannot remember it.
The Last Matinee sounds interesting.

I watched Before the Devil Knows You're Dead last Thursday. Cannot believe I hadn't seen that one before. Stellar movie!
By Bezulsqy
yesterday I watched Rouijin Z

Just now I finished watching Boris Inger's 1940 Stranger on the Third Floor.
Some say it is the first of the classic noir movies. It is only 67 minutes long. I really liked it.

By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:42 am
I watched Before the Devil Knows You're Dead last Thursday. Cannot believe I hadn't seen that one before. Stellar movie!
Yesss!!
By inksb
For those of us that didn't want to pay $50 for a bluray of the Living Dead At Manchester Morgue, a standard edition bluray is coming in June for $24. Very excited to finally see this restoration that Synapse did.
By monsterworship
inksb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:59 pm Image

Archive 81
i need to watch this as it was filmed in Pittsburgh and a friend's family member worked on the set.
By Bezulsqy
^ I did not know why I had that movie but when I saw the name of the director on the title screen I remembered: Sean S Cunningham
It felt for the biggest part like a teen movie around some bullies but the the last third felt pretty gnarly in tone and anticipation.

Just now finished this classic noir but I didn't care a lot about it.
Anthony Mann's 1948 Raw Deal

By Bezulsqy
this was not bad

I had only seen Split before and that was in a plane. I should revisit that one and try Glass as well.
By Bezulsqy
I was wondering why it is called Nightmare Alley... ten days ago I watched the classic noir from 1947. I have to say that took a lot of the fun away for me. Del Toro's version looks beautiful but I just didn't feel it.
That seems to be an issue lately.