A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb

Wrath of Man dir by Guy Ritchie
Well shit, this one actually surprised me. I enjoyed it more than any film he's done since Snatch by a wide margin. Statham is being calm/cool/collected killing machine but it works for the plot, speaking of the plot it's utterly ridiculous. The amount of robberies that occur in this film is out of hand but it makes for entertaining visuals so why not. It's nothing ground breaking, just an enjoyable action heist film.
By Bezulsqy
@inksb I have not paid any attention to Guy Ritchies stuff in a long time. Wrath of Man does sound like I might enjoy it.

This one was a bit too much. Maybe you have to be in a specific mood to really enjoy it.

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:56 pm Image

Wrath of Man dir by Guy Ritchie
Well shit, this one actually surprised me. I enjoyed it more than any film he's done since Snatch by a wide margin. Statham is being calm/cool/collected killing machine but it works for the plot, speaking of the plot it's utterly ridiculous. The amount of robberies that occur in this film is out of hand but it makes for entertaining visuals so why not. It's nothing ground breaking, just an enjoyable action heist film.
just finished this one. Really enjoyed it. Simple action fun. And I do have a soft spot for all things Statham.
I got a copy of the French UHD apparently:

By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:00 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:40 pm Image
?
French horror movie (mostly in English) from 2020 about a girl how founds herself captive in a big metal tube filled with traps.
First half for me felt very good and tense but the direction it took was not for me.
By ScoJo
Fuckit. I know what I'm throwing up on the home theatre tonight.

8883C70E-8EFD-458F-97DC-ACF365EFD7C5-977-00000142A568C2FC.gif
8883C70E-8EFD-458F-97DC-ACF365EFD7C5-977-00000142A568C2FC.gif (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1549 times
By ScoJo
536D7AC5-3268-451D-B456-73F89F89E44A-977-00000143696E3FCE.gif
536D7AC5-3268-451D-B456-73F89F89E44A-977-00000143696E3FCE.gif (94.99 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
By Bezulsqy
So I finished Jack Reacher. Took me half an hour to know I did already see it. Cannot blame drugs but probably alcohol for my memory. Loved it again though.
By jgibbs4053
3134AA11-CAED-432C-9EF7-EEF07F509542.jpeg
3134AA11-CAED-432C-9EF7-EEF07F509542.jpeg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 1538 times
Indiana Jones Stunt Show
By Dollarhyde
Nice @bez I've not seen the 1st patlabor

Project A-ko and future boy Conan have finally broken me, and I've started to pick up some US anime on blu ray, as so little gets a UK release. So now my PS4 is my US blu ray player.
IMG_20220110_131516.jpg
IMG_20220110_131516.jpg (1002.25 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
This new discotek media release is insanely good, looks beautiful and the work gone into the numerous extras is astounding.
By inksb
@bez what did you think of Darling? I rather enjoy it and all it's Repulsion love.

@dollar, I need to check out some of those discotek bluray releases. Future Boy Conan is high on the list as well as some others

I watched some movies this weekend...

Stone Cold
dir by Craig R. Baxley
This was so damn good. I can't believe I've never seen it. There is so much testosterone in this I'm not even sure what to do with it. Bosworth is a great lead for this type of film, the action is really entertaining and Lance is a fucking monster who plays the perfect biker gang leader. I thought it was great.

Antlers dir by Scott Cooper

So I went into this film with the knowledge of it being quite praised at festivals and delayed over a year because it "had to be theatrical". I saw part of a trailer a year ago and remembered nothing of it. So sitting down to watch it this weekend I was actually quite excited. The film is quite slow with it's pace but not in a way that makes the film feel like your typical "slow burn", a few good performances but man was the script kinda shit, the dialog didn't do much and the story was just kind of ok. *****SPOILERS**** I was severely disappointed when I discovered it was just a Wendigo, especially since we just got a single scene of exposition from a local indigenous person showing a drawing from a book. It felt so lazy. *****End SPOILER**** Creature design was great and the final scene with it was interesting but overall I felt kind of indifferent towards the film. Not sure I can recommend this one, it's fine I guess but after all the hype I was disappointed.

Detention
dir by John Hsu
This is one I've seen a lot of people talking about this year, it's banned in China and just has a lot of buzz around it. I may come off cold here but the story felt so heavy handed with it's themes that I just couldn't get into it. There are tons of cool ideas in here and some really fantastic set ups that ultimately fall flat because the CG was atrocious. It's so bad, it ripped me right out of the scenes which is a shame as it was just starting to build tension. The filmmaker had a message he wanted to get across about the oppression of his country and people but a lot of it was too much of "this ACTUALLY MEANS THIS" and it didn't work for me.

Scream 2 / Scream 3 dir by We Craven

This will be quick, I haven't seen Scream 2 since the early 00's and I only watched Scream 3 when it released to theaters. I remember enjoying parts of both but didn't love either. Well Scream 2 is both better and worse than I remembered if that makes any sense at all. Cast is good, I enjoyed the campus setting and it has a lot of fun goofy dialog. I hated the finale but really enjoyed my time with the rest of it. Scream 3 I didn't like, it felt like the writer just throwing a bunch of meta bullshit into the blender and hoping some of it worked. It didn't and the film feels more dated than the first two for some reason. Very interested to see what I think of Scream 4 later this week as I've only seen that one once.
By Bezulsqy
@inksb
I liked Darling and I yet have to see Repulsion for the first time...

I agree with your take on Antlers. I did not feel a lot while watching it. Very underwhelming.

Scream 3 and 4 I need to revisit as well.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:57 pm I yet have to see Repulsion for the first time...
I think you should watch it asap. It's an incredible film. It's been a while since I last watched it but every time I find it so striking
By Bezulsqy
If I rewatch a movie most of the time it has been a lot of years between viewings but I was wondering if some of you have a movie that you want want or can watch a lot. As in multiple times a year.

I am thinking of choosing one movie to watch ones a month this year. Or probably six times would be better. I have no idea which title would be worthwhile. Maybe a giallo I really love of Suspiria? Or should I go for something more epic like a Lord of the Rings type of thing?
Any ideas? Tips?
Or simply the answer: do not do it :-)
By inksb
There are a handful of films I can watch at any time, Big Trouble In Little China being one of them, but most of the time I reserve rewatching films for minimum once a year and often every few years. If I were doing what you are doing I would personally pick something you love and is on the shorter side. I couldn't imagine watching LOTR that much but then again I only watch that once a decade at this point ;)

I watch too many films and have limited time so rewatching stuff is low priority most of the time.