A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:11 pm This was on the 'Folk Horror' film list right? Any idea why?

Because after watching the trailer, I don't know about Folk Horror but this looks FA.RK.ING INC.RED.I.BLE!!!
It's because it's based on a folk tale and uses parts of that folk tale to propel the story. Even though she seems like a terminator character, it's because she's possessed by the sea witch. It's a wild movie and highly recommended viewing. It's more of just an action/horror movie but I get why some one would throw it on a list.
By EvanCampbell
Pete Walker.jpg
Pete Walker.jpg (275 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Pete Walker double feature...Sheila Keith doing her thing!
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:47 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:11 pm This was on the 'Folk Horror' film list right? Any idea why?

Because after watching the trailer, I don't know about Folk Horror but this looks FA.RK.ING INC.RED.I.BLE!!!
It's because it's based on a folk tale and uses parts of that folk tale to propel the story. Even though she seems like a terminator character, it's because she's possessed by the sea witch. It's a wild movie and highly recommended viewing. It's more of just an action/horror movie but I get why some one would throw it on a list.
Yeah my definition of folk horror is a lot narrower than that list, but I appreciate their wide range as well.
By inksb
I haven't watched this since the DVD was first released. It's still good. It's not my favorite QT, it fall some where in the bottom half of his films for me but I love the cast and the music is so damn good.

That poster is amazing, who ever did that deserves a nice slow clap. MI Fallout is more MI, if you don't like them then this won't change your mind but they are the best Cruise action vehicle out there and he gives it his all. The action is crazy, the stunts are impressive, the cinematography is great and overall it's a fun film. The story isn't really all that great but who cares if the action propels it along in an entertaining fashion. This is the first film I've liked Henry Cavill as an actor, he has a decent on screen presence and did quite well in the action scenes with Cruise. The film is 30 minutes too long but it doesn't drag, it's just a time commitment at 150 minutes.

Since September is upon us, I will be prepping my October programming. Still brain storming themes but one thing I know that will be part of it is the current stack of unwatched Fulci films. They are not his greatest (although one great one is in there) and I may end up revisiting a few that I've seen a lot (NY Ripper & The Beyond). I also haven't watched a majority of the F13th films in over a decade so they are in contention for a revisit too. Any one have any themes they will be abiding by for the month of October?
By Bezulsqy
Almost October... Damn. Where I live that month doesn't mean as much as across the pond so I don't really connect movies to that time of the year. I do love seeing what you all are going to watch. I still have a lot to see from the list that was posted last year (Green Room for instance).

I am going to check out IT of course in the theater. And I still have not seen Ma, US, and frankly any other recent horror movies. What is worth a watch from this year?
I am upgrading my home cinema with better sound, so I am waiting to watch most new releases.

Although October is not as special here, we do love the USofA :-)
I recently watched:
- Tricky Dick
- Trump: An American Dream
- Waco - Madman or Messiah
- Mindhunter season 2
- The Family
By inksb
@bez, if you want to check out a new horror film I recommend this

This one was a lot of fun, brought to you by Radio Silence collective (V/H/S, Southbound) and starring the wonderful Samara Weaving. Samara caught my attention in Mayhem, then showed how she could elevate a pretty dumb movie like The Babysitter and here she cements it, if she is in a horror film I will watch it. Her performance is great, overall the whole cast performs pretty well. The gore gags are very entertaining, plenty of great comedic moments sprinkled through out, it never takes it self too serious and the cinematography was quite good. If I had to compare it to something, it's similar in tone to You're Next but a little more fun. It was actually kind of nice to see a film like this in the theater which is rare these days.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:11 pm Since September is upon us, I will be prepping my October programming. Still brain storming themes but one thing I know that will be part of it is the current stack of unwatched Fulci films. They are not his greatest (although one great one is in there) and I may end up revisiting a few that I've seen a lot (NY Ripper & The Beyond). I also haven't watched a majority of the F13th films in over a decade so they are in contention for a revisit too. Any one have any themes they will be abiding by for the month of October?
Non-horror picks:

Something Wicked This Way Comes
September
Stardust Memories
When Harry Met Sally
The Swimmer
The Trouble with Harry
Stand by Me
Colour of Pomegranates
Days of Heaven
The Outsiders
The Hired Hand
Kes
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
Tess
Hannah and Her Sisters
Harold and Maude
Always
Matinee
Kenny and Company
By inksb
I've been meaning to revisit Something Wicked This Way Comes. I wish Disney would pull their head out of their ass and put that on bluray but that will never happen.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:52 pm I've been meaning to revisit Something Wicked This Way Comes. I wish Disney would pull their head out of their ass and put that on bluray but that will never happen.
I'm just go ahead and chime in here like I always do when this title comes up. THIS!!!

Anchor Bay had distro rights back in the day for this and Watcher in the Woods, i'd love for Disney to license these out if again if they aren't going to do anything with them. i watch (and read) it every year and would like to see some of those settings really pop in HD one of these days.
By ScoJo
I found a couple of long-dead 720p torrents, gah. Presumably hdtvrip?

I adore this movie so much. But then I love Bradbury. I think Im gonna gk read some Bradbury.

That is all.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:58 pm I found a couple of long-dead 720p torrents, gah. Presumably hdtvrip?

I adore this movie so much. But then I love Bradbury. I think Im gonna gk read some Bradbury.

That is all.
I never thought about an HDTV rip, I will check my main source for hard to find stuff this evening to see if they have it.

I also love Bradbury, I discovered Bradbury and Vonnegut around the same time and I devoured so many of their books. It's been a long time and I should revisit some of them. What's your favorite Bradbury books @scojo?
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:55 pm I'm just go ahead and chime in here like I always do when this title comes up. THIS!!!

Anchor Bay had distro rights back in the day for this and Watcher in the Woods, i'd love for Disney to license these out if again if they aren't going to do anything with them. i watch (and read) it every year and would like to see some of those settings really pop in HD one of these days.
The only thing I can see Disney doing at this point is putting it out on their Disney Movie Club on blu. Unfortunately that's where they dumped Return to OZ. The fact that they released that on blu gives me a tiny sliver of hope that we may see it there some day.
By ScoJo
@inks - HUGE Vonnegut nut here too.
I'm particularly a fan of Bradbury's short stories, imo they are among the best short American fiction of all time, regardless of genre. Too many greats to name... in terms of longer fiction, I've always loved Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451 and Death is a Lonely Business (with Something Wicked... out on it's own in the top slot).

Long After Midnight was my first taste, a hardcover from the library when I was in my early teens, which somehow never made it's way back. I read and re-read those stories endlessly, and will probably go dig it out now.
Last edited by ScoJo on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By inksb
I always preferred his short stories as well. I stumbled on The Illustrated Man in the library one day, I sat down and read about half of the book before I decided I should check it out and head home. I really should revisit Something Wicked in book form as well since my memory is a bit foggy other than my love for the story.

This cover is the one I always picture when I think about the book
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:58 pm I found a couple of long-dead 720p torrents, gah. Presumably hdtvrip?

That is all.
I am sure I have a HD copy. Need to check my files
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:02 pm I always preferred his short stories as well. I stumbled on The Illustrated Man in the library one day, I sat down and read about half of the book before I decided I should check it out and head home. I really should revisit Something Wicked in book form as well since my memory is a bit foggy other than my love for the story.

This cover is the one I always picture when I think about the book
That's the first edition, a lovely pristine copy of which i finally bought for myself as birthday present a few years back. My reading copy is the same one i got at a school book fair in i think elementary school.
By maxlevel
I never managed to finish watching the Ray Bradbury chronicles. We got about halfway through.

Saw IT part 2 last night, enjoyed it alot. Bill Hader is a legend but McAvoy can kiss my arse. Enough self-deprication to go round, and a cathartic ending. I can’t help but think it’s a story for and about kids and growing up, and yet you need to be an adult to appreciate it, either as it’s rated 18 or if you saw the originals show and book as a kid and you are now 27 years older.

Also saw Crawl today, and what a ride! Recommend the bitey film. It’s got two pages of dialogue and escalates pretty fast, a hero dog and a jurrassic park level failure of health and safety. Theres some irony in the repeating ‘apex predator’ motif, “you’re the apex” despite clearly swimming very fast away from the actual apex and it’s chums. But as with American dialogue of this type, that lack of sense of humour and essentially a self inflicted set of injuries, it’s quite endearing and the final sequence is ‘epic’.
By inksb
I can't wait to see Crawl. I've enoyed most of Aja's films and seeing all the positive reviews of this one has very excited. I'm less excited to see IT Chapter 2 but I do need to see it, possibly next weekend when there's less folks out at the theaters.
By deafmetal
I also look forward to checking out Crawl some day soon. it combines two of my favorite genres; monster and natural disaster films.
By Bezulsqy
Watched Mike FIggis' 1990 Internal Affairs last weekend with the family. Still very enjoyable. And an eclectic score. I forgot there actually is/was a William Baldwin.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:55 pm I can't wait to see Crawl. I've enoyed most of Aja's films and seeing all the positive reviews of this one has very excited. I'm less excited to see IT Chapter 2 but I do need to see it, possibly next weekend when there's less folks out at the theaters.
Chapter 2 is a very good time at the movies, but is a weaker film overall. It’s a lot of fun, and well acted, designed etc, but it has the same problem the miniseries has and the same inherent issue with trying adapt that novel as two different narratives, the kids story is a complete story where 90% of the development happens. the adults story simply can’t exists without it so there’s always just some weaker stuff without the right framing. That being said, I think the first part is a very good movie, and Chapter two is a fun, ok movie with a lot of good stuff in it, but if he gets the chance to edit into one magnum opus then there might be a great film in there.
By ScoJo
^ Agreed.

(My main issue with both Pts 1 and 2 is that there is waaaaaay too much clown, and especially in Pt2 he does waaaaaay too much talking! The fucker is an exposition monster, gahhh! He just stops being scary. I would have dug the heck out of all this as a 12 year old Steve King nut, but it takes a bit more than endless CGI fangs and skittery-running-at-the-camera to actually scare me now. Less is more folks)

I did enjoy Part 2 though. I have a LOT of comments but of course will save them for a while until we've all seen day chit.

Ps loved that cameo!
By maxlevel
@scojo did you notice the original actor of the chubby kid from the miniseries was in the boardroom scene? And then it cuts to the new actor on the weblink