A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
I’m gonna need you to screenshot every frame, record the audio and provide full English transcript so i can compile viewable version 😂😂😂
By inksb
Being sick this past week I have a ton of movies and tv I watched. I'll update tomorrow when I'm at work and looking to waste some time bc I know no one did a fucking thing that they were supposed to while I was out
By inksb
Alright lets see if I can remember everything I watched over the last week.

Pearl dir by Ti West

I absolutely loved this. Mia Goth delivered a chilling performance, he ability to dip into that insanity was awesome to witness. Don't have much else to say about it but it's well worth checking out if you liked X or Ti West films. Beautifully shot and watching it in 4K w/ HDR was an impressive looking experience.

Something In The Dirt dir by Aaron Moorhead & Justin Benson

This one was right up my ally. I'm a big fan of Moorhead & Benson and I think this might be one of their best films yet. It felt small but also utilized every ounce of it's budget to make it feel a bit bigger than it was. They star as the main characters and both turn in very good performances. I won't really go into the plot as seeing it unfold is part of the films major appeal to me but I'll say this, it felt kind of like Primer but you don't need a doctorate in time travel to decipher the film. Highly recommended.

Tumbbad dir by Rahi Anil Barve

Indian horror film that is deeply rooted in our desire for money and success as well as the cost that it comes with. I thought it was a really great film, has some really cool imagery and creepy moments. CG can be rough in spots but for the most part it looks good. Highly recommended, should be on Prime Video in the US.

Spy X Family

This is one of the most highly reviewed anime of the year, I've had multiple friends telling me I need to watch it. Well I finally decided to check it out. It's incredibly fun and adorable story about a top level spy who has been given one of the most important missions but to pull it off he must have a daughter going to the the most prestigious school in the country, so he adopts a little girl who is actually a telepath (no one knows this) and decides he needs to have a wife bc the school is so formal they will not accept the girl if the family is not of proper stature, so he asks a woman to pretend to be his wife for a better living arrangement who happens to be an assassin. So a family full of secrets trying to pretend to be normal upper class family. It's really fun, my wife absolutely loves it and tries to watch as many episodes as she can before I say lets watching something else.

Martial Law dir by Steve Cohen

I wanted to watch this bc of Cynthia Rothrock and boy is she about the only good thing here. David Caradine is fun but very much playing the same role he's done a bunch of times. Unfotunately Cynthia is a side character and not the main like I assumed she was. The main guy and his brother are the least charismatic people ever, I've never cared less about a family having issues. A few decent fight scenes that could have benefitted from a good fight choreographer and some one that knew how to film an action scene. It's a mediocre D-Grade 90's action film but don't expect much else. I also love the photo of Cynthia on the poster is very much taken after the film when she had a completely different hair cut.

Blood Relatives dir by Noah Segan

Directorial debut from Noah Segan who you will recognize as the dude that always has a role in Rian Johnson films. He plays the main role of the vampire in the film as well. I read a few great reviews praising this horror comedy so I was excited to check it out, it kind of fell flat for me. The humor is good but feels sprinkled in instead of the focus which seems odd for a film that very much wants to be a horror comedy. It's ok but not really worth checking out unless you have nothing else to watch

Thor: Love & Thunder dir by Taika Waititi

Unfortunately lightning didn't strike twice here for Taika, he tried like hell but it just doesn't compare to Ragnorak. That said I had fun watching it, lots of clever and humorous moments, good action at times and it looked pretty. Enjoyed seeing Natalie Portman in the Thor role as well. I'm very MCU'ed out and really could give a shit about any of the new movies but wanted to check this one as it was from Taika. If you liked Ragnorak give it a watch just don't expect it to be as good.

The Waterboy dir by Frank Coraci

This movie is so dumb but I still find parts of it quite funny. It's probably the last "Adam Sandler" comedy that I enjoy, from this point on he fell down the rabbit hole of just playing the same weird and mildly offensive things for years. We got a few good serious roles out him since though. I also love Fairuza in this film, Kathy Bates and Henry Winkler are very fun too.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:07 am extended edition

What did you think Bez? You should have seen this when you were 14, btw :)
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:23 am Image
Do not hate at me - I adore this movie. One of Maestro Morricone's best scores of that decade too.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:29 am Image
You should watch the 'fan edit' sometime, which is De Palma approved! This was his original order of scenes, but he backed out and made it chronological before it was released. He approved of this so much that it was announced as his official 'Director's Cut' and was included as a Bluray extra!

https://vimeo.com/35398338
By Bezulsqy
@ScoJo
I loved Evilspeak! Not what I was expecting, but then again I did not know what to expect. ESTEBAN!

Mission to Mars I liked as well. Great sound(track).

I need to read up on Raising Cain. Such a strange movie. It was my first ever watch and I didn't know anything about it. During the first 15 minutes or so it felt a lot like a soap opera. Lithgow is something else :-)
I actually watched the DC cut!
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:52 pm @ScoJo
I loved Evilspeak! Not what I was expecting, but then again I did not know what to expect. ESTEBAN!

Mission to Mars I liked as well. Great sound(track).

I need to read up on Raising Cain. Such a strange movie. It was my first ever watch and I didn't know anything about it. During the first 15 minutes or so it felt a lot like a soap opera. Lithgow is something else :-)
I actually watched the DC cut!
Satanas!
By inksb

A Wounded Fawn dir by Travis Stevens

I wanted to like this but there were a few things that just drove me nuts the entire viewing. I enjoyed Travis Stevens previous two films, Jakob's Wife & Girl on the Third Floor but this one just pales in comparison. The basic premise is a woman coming out of an unhealthy relationship agrees to go to a cabin with a new love interest and things are not what they seem. They shot it on 16mm and I love the look of the film (most of it, I'll addresss that shortly), it has some really striking visuals and moments of decent atmosphere. So I'll basically lay out what my main issues were, first would be the sound design, holy hell did they botch this. Everything and I mean everything was a loud noise/cue, it felt like they didn't want to make jump scares so they leaned into everything is a jump scare so nothing scares you, it was incredibly obnoxious and I had to turn my surround down constantly which is very very rare for me as I love movies loud. Then add in the music at times would just become unbearably loud. Next would be the CG, why did they have to use it? it makes no sense, the scene they used it for they could have easily made a puppet for and it would have looked way better, the moments they used CG completely removed me from the film as it didn't match the visual aesthetic they were going for and very blatantly looked like it was composited on top of the film. Next the writing, boy did it feel like the writers were trying to be super clever and patting each other on the back constantly over something they thought was smart, it also doesn't help they wrote some really annoying character moments (the ones I would remove myself from if those words came out of some one else mouth). And finally the casting, the main male actor just seemed out of place here, I don't think he was believable in the role and it kind of just bugged me the whole time. All that said I do think people should check it out, it's on Shudder and I seem to be in the minority on it as I've seen a lot of positive reviews. Plus it has probably the best credit sequence I've seen this year.
By Bezulsqy
thanks for the write-up @inksb. I'll pass on that one for a while.

It is a cold and grey afternoon here, so perfect for the 208 minute DC of:

By ChrisMcQueen007
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:05 pm thanks for the write-up @inksb. I'll pass on that one for a while.

It is a cold and grey afternoon here, so perfect for the 208 minute DC of:

Best German movie / TV series of all times imo.
By Bezulsqy
^let's not forget Derrick ;-)

Just finished this one from Park Chan-wook. Really good!

By Bezulsqy
I have a very faint memory of the idea of having seen a highlander... not sure if I actually have seen one from start to finish, nor which one it would be.

But now I am fully focused. And in 4K.

By deafmetal
I enjoy both Das Boot and Highlander. Good times.

Catching yet another screening of this old favorite tonight:

This is the second time I have seen Simonetti and crew perform the live score, but the theater, sound, projection, and film source are much improved this time around. A wonderful experience yet again.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:49 pm ^let's not forget Derrick ;-)

Just finished this one from Park Chan-wook. Really good!

Haha, yeah, right.

JSA is great, need to rewatch that some day soon, been a long time.
By ChrisMcQueen007
deafmetal wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:06 am I enjoy both Das Boot and Highlander. Good times.

Catching yet another screening of this old favorite tonight:

This is the second time I have seen Simonetti and crew perform the live score, but the theater, sound, projection, and film source are much improved this time around. A wonderful experience yet again.
Wow, I can imagine this to be fantastic to experience Suspiria this way on the big screen.