A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 pm Image
@bez what did you think of Into Darkness and this one? I actually love Beyond, it's my favorite of the 3.
By deafmetal
monsterworship wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:07 pm Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness on nextflix :)
So fucked. J actually had me listen to this story on some podcast a few years ago, but this latest documentary/footage is on a whole other level of 'murica insanity. Those songs...
By inksb
deafmetal wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:39 pm
monsterworship wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:07 pm Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness on nextflix :)
So fucked. J actually had me listen to this story on some podcast a few years ago, but this latest documentary/footage is on a whole other level of 'murica insanity. Those songs...
What is this? It seems like the new Netflix talking topic at the moment and I know nothing of it.
By deafmetal
inksb wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:42 pm What is this? It seems like the new Netflix talking topic at the moment and I know nothing of it.
Exposé docudrama with lots of reality footage on the underground scene of "big cat" breeders and zookeepers (Lions, Tigers, Ligers, etc.) in the US and their public relations battle with Big Cat Rescue, whose owner has her own shady past. Features a carnival show of characters that has to be seen to be believed. 110% 'murica.
By inksb
deafmetal wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:10 pm
inksb wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:42 pm What is this? It seems like the new Netflix talking topic at the moment and I know nothing of it.
Exposé docudrama with lots of reality footage on the underground scene of "big cat" breeders and zookeepers (Lions, Tigers, Ligers, etc.) in the US and their public relations battle with Big Cat Rescue, whose owner has her own shady past. Features a carnival show of characters that has to be seen to be believed. 110% 'murica.
Thanks, I need to ask is there any animal violence? I'm fairly sensitive to this stuff and my wife is extremely sensitive to it.
By deafmetal
inksb wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 pm
Thanks, I need to ask is there any animal violence? I'm fairly sensitive to this stuff and my wife is extremely sensitive to it.
There is some hitting and rough handling when some of the handlers get grabbed or bitten by tigers, and some guns get pulled out, warning shots fired, etc. but I don't believe they showed any hard violence or executions on film. The raw gist of the film of apparent though -- the animals are obviously abused by the conditions on some of the farms/zoos. There is a lot of footage of animals in poor conditions in cages, etc.
By inksb
deafmetal wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:49 pm
inksb wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 pm
There is some hitting and rough handling when some of the handlers get grabbed or bitten by tigers, and some guns get pulled out, warning shots fired, etc. but I don't believe they showed any hard violence or executions on film. The raw gist of the film of apparent though -- the animals are obviously abused by the conditions on some of the farms/zoos. There is a lot of footage of animals in poor conditions in cages, etc.
I'll have to check it out on my own. That sounds too much for her but the premise seems very interesting and I think I can handle that.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:44 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 pm Image
@bez what did you think of Into Darkness and this one? I actually love Beyond, it's my favorite of the 3.
I think the first one is my favorite because at the time it felt as a excellent reimagining of Star Trek. Well made with a lot of love for the franchise. The second one looked beautiful but I found it to be a bit boring. It did not grab me as much as the first one. From Beyond was a lot better. Maybe the most exciting one of the three.
By inksb
Love this one. It's been years since I watched it.

I decided to revisit the work of Satoshi Kon. I have everything he's ever done except Tokyo Godfathers (which I used to have but loaned out and never got back). I haven't watched Millennium Actress in probably 10 years. I remembered parts of it but it felt like a fresh watch. A beautifully animated and entertaining approach to story telling. I would really like the soundtrack on vinyl, hopefully some one puts it out eventually.

Perfect Blue is my favorite Satoshi Kon. I don't watch this one that often though as it's a bit of a draining watch. Animation is beautiful.He uses the medium so perfectly to convey the story. I love it. Watching two of his films back to back reinforced some of his themes musically that I never noticed before but these two films and Paprika have very similar cues at times. Up next will probably be Paranoia Agent.
Side note: I love this poster, I really wish I had been able to buy a copy when it was onsale
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:34 pm Image
Love this one. It's been years since I watched it.

I decided to revisit the work of Satoshi Kon. I have everything he's ever done except Tokyo Godfathers (which I used to have but loaned out and never got back). I haven't watched Millennium Actress in probably 10 years. I remembered parts of it but it felt like a fresh watch. A beautifully animated and entertaining approach to story telling. I would really like the soundtrack on vinyl, hopefully some one puts it out eventually.

Perfect Blue is my favorite Satoshi Kon. I don't watch this one that often though as it's a bit of a draining watch. Animation is beautiful.He uses the medium so perfectly to convey the story. I love it. Watching two of his films back to back reinforced some of his themes musically that I never noticed before but these two films and Paprika have very similar cues at times. Up next will probably be Paranoia Agent.
Side note: I love this poster, I really wish I had been able to buy a copy when it was onsale
RT is my favorite Wes Anderson film and in my top 10 of all time. I knew someone who owned the summer house they have the BB gun fight at.

The strange surreal version of New York in that movie is the New York of my childhood visiting museums and parks with my grandfather, who was the type of old New Yorker you only see in movies, almost the bugs bunny accent and everything. He was also an amateur magician and archeologist, so the whole aesthetic of that film is nearly my dads side of the family perfectly.
By ScoJo
skeletonbutt wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:01 pm toh1984.jpg

not a good movie but worth checking out for its music and vibe
Not a good movie?? How dare you, sir!

(of course it isn't, haha... but I loves me some Bauer. In fact this would make an awesome 'flip side' double bill with Bauer in Donald Cammell's insane 'Wild Side')

The Faltermeyer score, as we have said previously, is straight 80s synth-pop fire.
By skeletonbutt
sure is! i'm surprised it doesn't have a cult following. only 300 people have logged it on letterboxd.
By ScoJo
Saw a great tweet from a label this week... think it was Night School Records?

They said, surprise announcement, we've dropped everything else and are putting out The Music Of Joe Exotic.
By EvanCampbell
Hope everyone is staying safe and holding up during this difficult time.
inksb - always enjoy reading the movie breakdowns. So many films I have never even heard of.
And now
20200330_081322.jpg
20200330_081322.jpg (784.51 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
By inksb
EvanCampbell wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:39 pm Hope everyone is staying safe and holding up during this difficult time.
inksb - always enjoy reading the movie breakdowns. So many films I have never even heard of.
And now
I'm glad people enjoy reading them. I write them both for myself as a record of what I've watched and to recommend some stuff that people have missed, haven't seen in a while or never even heard of.

I need to watch Nightmare City, I've owned the bluray for 3 years now and still haven't watched it. lol.

I try to keep new movies in a stack of their own but over time it grows and doesn't shrink so I end up putting them on the shelf and then they get lost in the shuffle. I recently went through some blurays and realized I had like 35 unwatched blus. It's one of the reasons I cut back on buying last year but that just turned into me buying more records, haha
By inksb
Fulci's "classic" Sword & Sorcery "epic", CONQUEST. This is such a strange film, even by his standards. Insanely limited budget, some fun effects both visual and practical, naked woman rubbing huge snakes all over their body (snakes creep me out and this was so hard to watch), "beast" men, bone nunchucks, some very muscular yet bad actors and a fun score by Claudio Simonetti. This is worth a watch for any one curious in low budget Italian films from the 80s. Fulci seems to be having fun making his version of Conan, it's shot so strangely, everything is foggy. I bought the new bluray and it's a decent transfer but I don't think it can look much better due to how it was shot.
By EvanCampbell
Inksb nightmare city is a fun one. Curious to see what you think being it is not connected to your childhood.
20200404_082831.jpg
20200404_082831.jpg (739.61 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
A Bell from Hell ....another one of my favorite, doomed, loner films.
By ScoJo
EvanCampbell wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:45 pm Inksb nightmare city is a fun one. Curious to see what you think being it is not connected to your childhood.

20200404_082831.jpg
Right - that's the one where the director threw himself off the damn bell tower on the final day of shooting yes?? Oh yeah that's a great film but an intense watch with the background stuff in your mind etc (I recall watching a youtube documentary made by a crew member? A sort of examination/conspiracy thing, where he posited that maybe there was foul play if I recall correctly? Or the director was (closeted?) gay, and in love with somebody (an actor?) and it was a love-suicide?) I may have been making some of my own background up here.

Definitely needs a rewatch soon! Isn't the music great too?
By ChrisMcQueen007
ScoJo wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:52 pm
EvanCampbell wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:45 pm Inksb nightmare city is a fun one. Curious to see what you think being it is not connected to your childhood.

20200404_082831.jpg
Right - that's the one where the director threw himself off the damn bell tower on the final day of shooting yes?? Oh yeah that's a great film but an intense watch with the background stuff in your mind etc (I recall watching a youtube documentary made by a crew member? A sort of examination/conspiracy thing, where he posited that maybe there was foul play if I recall correctly? Or the director was (closeted?) gay, and in love with somebody (an actor?) and it was a love-suicide?) I may have been making some of my own background up here.

Definitely needs a rewatch soon! Isn't the music great too?
Wow, never heard of that one. Now I‘m really intrigued.
By inksb
WARNING: SPOILERS incoming for Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker and The Invisible Man. I will be making another post shortly after with other movies but this one one is separate due to having spoilers.

I'll start by saying this is an entertaining action film. It's shot beautifully, the CG is impressive through out and I recommend watching it in 4K if you have the ability to. With that said, I really really hated the story here. I was never a fan of JJ making Kylo Ren the son of Han & Leia but it was a boring choice that we had to deal with here, on JJ's return he makes the "BRILLIANT" choice of making the main good guy, Rey, the grand daughter of Palpatine?!?! What the fuck kind of story telling is that. I just dislike that choice and it makes me hate the Kylo Ren situation even more. That brings me to Palpatine himself, I have never been a fan of him as a character, an old man who shoots lightning, it's all he's ever done. JJ brought him back to......shoot lightning again but bigger and enough to take out an entire armada of space ships floating above him in the sky but with such precision that he doesn't damage his own ships flying around right next to the other ones. *insert eyeroll* I've always been a fan of the Sith mythology and I kind of liked that part of the story I just wish it wasn't Palpatine. It could have been a long lost Sith who's been in hiding for decades or any other fucking back guy. I also didn't like the fact that Rey is now a Super Jedi, I get it she should be stronger after training but Leia was never a Jedi, she can't teach techniques she doesn't know, Rey can learn from the texts she obtained from Luke but it just felt like too big of a jump for me especially since it doesn't seem like much time has passed between the last film and this one. I hated the fact that she has Force Heal powers now, that's OP bullshit. I'm not super into Star Wars lore but I can't remember any of the Jedi having this power in the movies, it's been in some of the videogames. I did like Ben's redemption which was the obvious conclusion to that story I just thought it was dumb that he used his new force healing powers to heal her and then died from it. I do like The Last Jedi and this film felt like such a fan service retcon to stuff that happened there which was disappointing. They could have "course corrected" some of the decisions differently and made it not feel so obviously pandering to the very vocal idiots. I couldn't believe they sidelined Rose and in a move that felt very much like shit we are getting rid of the Asian character, lets insert this black character as a way to say look it's not racial. Maybe that's just me reading into it but I really liked Rose's interactions with Finn and instead we have Finn and Jannah the whole film. I had pretty low expectations going into this and it pretty much met those expectations. JJ tried to cram 2-3 movies worth of story into one final film, they tried to appease the vocal fan base at the hindrance of making a good movie. The final trilogy has its flaws but it's better than the prequels, has some good ideas, lots of bad ideas, an entertaining cast and it generally looks great. I was told to read Colin Trevorrow's script for the film titled, Duel of Fates, I started it last night and can say the opening 20 pages is better than anything in Rise of the Skywalker (also Rey's final line in the film made me laugh out loud, it was so dumb).

This has received pretty much universal praise from the horror community and I can't understand why. It's a really well shot that starts out decent but as soon as it becomes about the Invisible Man it falls apart. For those that don't know it falls into sci-fi horror due to the fact that it's a suit that makes him invisible. There are some decent creepy moments in the first half but it's mostly because you can't see anything and you think there might be something there just like the main character. Elisabeth Moss does a good job in the main role but if you don't like her normally this role will not change your opinion. My biggest issues with the film is that it uses sci-fi but doesn't set any rules and just assumes you'll buy the logic leaps every few minutes. First the person using the suit seems to have super human speed and strength at times, the speed might be from bad editing but I think it was just poor planning. There's a scene where he hits one character and then in the next cut he's 12 ft away on the other side of the other character attacking her. I was like, wait what? how is that possible? Then we get to the paint scene, I don't think anyone involved know's how paint works, she dumps a bucket of pain on the invisible man he disappears and you hear the sink turn on, she walks down the hall into the kitchen and he has miraculously washed all the paint off in less than 30 seconds which is actually impossible, it's even more absurd when you learn what the suit is a little later in the film. It's a bunch of lenses that we the audience assumes makes adjustments to the light hitting them thus making him look invisible (no real explanation in the film). Then comes my next major issue, there is a scene where she stabs the invisible man multiple times, making the suit glitch out, sure the glitching makes sense depending on how it works but what I don't understand is how she managed to no damage a single lens in her attack. She should have damaged one or more of them and would render that area not usable. Maybe I'm looking into it way more than I should be but these thoughts all took me out of the film completely and makes me ask why no one asked these questions during the script phase or at least pre-production, they are huge logic gaps in the world they are asking us to believe in. I did like the ending and was glad they went that way with it but by that point I was like oh well at least they did something right in the last hour. Probably the most disappointed I've been in a movie in a while.

Sorry for the long winded posted. I just had a lot of issues with these two. I didn't even go into full detail :P
By ScoJo
Screen shot 2020-04-07 at 21.51.35.png
Screen shot 2020-04-07 at 21.51.35.png (35.6 KiB) Viewed 3858 times
:-D

And as for 'Sleeping With the Hollow Man' (Julia Roberts could have reunited with Kevin Bacon dammit!) well, the more I thought about it afterwards, the more I didn't like. And have had no interest in rewatching tbh. It's actually a bad film, right?