A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
I thought there was a previous thread for this, but perhaps it was lost in the forum move. Lots of interesting things to discuss about this film project:

- Kurt Russell ;)
- Tarantino takes on the "epic Western".
- 70mm Ultra Panavision.
- Limited engagement of "roadshow" presentation with overture, intermission, and 10+ minutes of extra material.
- Ennio Morricone hired to score the film (although now we hear only 25 minutes of new material, including the main theme).
- Morricone's first score for a Western in over forty years (is this really true)?
- Morricone grants permission to use the unused material from The Thing for the score.
- David Hess song appears on the OST album tracklist.

I enjoyed Django Unchained. I have faith this won't suck. I just bought tickets for the 70mm roadshow screening on Christmas Day in Portland. Thoughts?
By blue15
Morricone's last score for a western was OCCHIO ALLA PENNA in 1981. LP was released on Cinevox in Italy and Modulation in Canada ("JE M'APPELLE MALABAR"). 15 lp tracks here, and Digitmovies released a 27-track CD in January 2007.

Digitmovies CD:
By monsterworship
Got my The H8ful Eight vinyl yesterday. really great package overall. And now i understand how it got onto Thirdman, there is a White Stripes track on it...

really obsessed with the jacket printing, a rubbery finish, i'm assuming Stoughton printed them, so good.
By deafmetal
@monster - I preordered from 2H Dog before seeing the Third Man listing, doh. Makes sense with Jack White involved as you mentioned. I have to say I'm glad it's only one track of his and not a bunch of them scattered throughout. The sleeve sounds great from your description.
By deafmetal
I saw the film today and enjoyed it. I really liked the main theme in the roadshow overture. I don't believe it's from Morricone's album for The Thing, but it definitely is a dark theme. It sounded new to my ears. The opening shots of upper Midwest winter landscapes were amazing in the 70mm projection. The cinerama setup here in Portland was on an enormous curved screen. As with Tarantino, the film moves for long stretches at a glacial pace, but has the feel of a violent stage play or whodunit mystery. Since the film primarily occurs in strong blizzard with bitterly cold snow and wind, when the tracks from The Thing started sneaking in, it all really worked for me. The themes are very recognizable if you are familiar with the OST album, but they did not pull me out of the film. They were hit & miss as to their overall effectiveness, with some of that due to the editing choices. The Jack White song felt really out of place for me, and did take me out of the film. I just couldn't get into it. I felt the David Hess song was better placed. Overall, I recommend checking it out, and I'm looking forward to sitting down with the soundtrack album and comparing notes with The Thing. The new theme material from Morricone was very striking and powerful, and I was really impressed.
By Bezulsqy
@ deafmetal

Thanks for sharing your views on the Hateful Eight.
I really am looking forward to see this.
You tell some interesting stuff about the score. But how was the movie? Can you compare it to previous Tarantino films?
By deafmetal
@Bezulsqy - I am trying to avoid any spoilers. If you enjoyed Django Unchained, then this one should fit very well. It gets quite bloody and violent, and is one of Tarantino's goriest films. I personally love westerns, so I put this one up there as one of my favorites. Kurt Russell and Sam Jackson steal the show, and have some of the best dialogue in my opinion.
Last edited by deafmetal on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NathanLurker
It's more of a mystery/whodunit with people stuck with each other in a closed environment so it's more tense than Django in that way, I personnally like the Hateful eight more than Django, and maybe even more than Inglorious Basterds. All the characters are fun.
By J.R.
NathanLurker wrote:It's more of a mystery/whodunit with people stuck with each other in a closed environment so it's more tense than Django in that way, I personnally like the Hateful eight more than Django, and maybe even more than Inglorious Basterds. All the characters are fun.
More than Inglourious Basterds? I better check this out!!!
By texasvinyl
Great movie! Probably too long and indulgent, but it's Tarantino. You will recognize some of the orchestrals from The Thing, and it works pretty well in the context of Hateful Eight.

I saw one of the 70mm roadshow screenings. They did a pretty good job w/ the projection, and they had 10-page color programs. I've seen pictures of lobby cards but don't know where people got those.

I also got the Third Man version of the soundtrack in the mail today, and it's really nice. It's a double LP in a tri-fold jacket with a great soft-touch effect and UV spot varnish for a blood splatter effect. The pressing is good quality, and it also came with a 12-page color booklet and two posters. The discs are in poly-lined inners. I got my copy for $25-- I thought the quality was great for the price with no gouging here ($50 Star Wars Force Awakens pre-orders, anyone?).
By XGEEKEDGERX
It premiered on general release in cinemas here (UK) this weekend, saw it with a friend last night and we both absolutely loved it. Great characters and it plays out so well, maybe a little too long (just a little) but to me it's classic Tarantino. Throughly enjoyable, so much so that i'm planning to see it again next week.
By chiefbrody
Saw it this morning, and liked it a lot.

SPOILER-FREE

I agree with @deaf, it has the feel of a play, and is very character/dialogue heavy. All of the ensemble brought something to the table. QT has definitely got the best out of post-2000 SLJ. Kurt Russell was also great. I am a big fan of Walton Goggins' TV work (The Shield/Justified), and it was great to see him on the big screen in a significant role. Comparisons with The Thing are inevitable (Russell, Morricone, ensemble, blizzards, paranoia and isolation).

The score was good, though I can't remember being completely blown away at many points, but did think 'The Thing!' at some points. It didn't stand out to be on first viewing, but sometimes that's the case. I'd like to hear it again (in isolation), and I'll pick it up for sure. I might get the CD so that I can isolate the score from the songs and dialogue. The White Stripes song (I'm a fan) seemed out of place - maybe it wouldn't have if there were a lot of songs in it, but it seemed a strange choice to me to include any songs.

I'd definitely recommend it.
By deafmetal
@chief - Good review, and I enjoyed reading your analysis. I feel I was a bit spoiled with the roadshow overture, where the audience was immediately blasted with the new Morricone theme for a good 5-10 minutes with nothing but dark imagery on the screen to help let it sink in. After experiencing that, it was easier to pick it up during the film.

I ordered the Third Man 2LP from a distro rather than directly from Third Man, so I am still patiently waiting for it to show up!
By chiefbrody
@deaf, unfortunately I only saw it in the truncated version. Does that mean there's a significant piece of the score missing from the 'standard' version?

I'm caught in two minds. The CD would allow me to remove the dialogue to just listen to the score, but the TMR version in particular looks special. I have a few of those 'soft touch' covers - I really like them. I'm glad to hear that the pressing is good - I've had a fair few dodgy pressings from TMR over the years.
By deafmetal
@chief - I am not sure. The track labeled Overture on the OST is only 3m11s. I could have sworn it was longer in the theater, but perhaps it was a combination of the opening track L'ultima Diligenza Di Red Rock (Versione Integrale) (7m30s) and the overture track. Either way, it is some great material, and gave me the feeling that Morricone did provide some creative energy to this project, even with the oddness of offering the material from The Thing.
By ScoJo
Nothing but good things to say about the cast, but this didn't work for me at all. I just find it harder and harder to tap into my inner teen when it comes to QTs juvenilia, and find his editorial choices (especially when it comes to use of music) both unsatisfying and mystifying. His love of Godard seems to have completely affected him in this regard. The use of Morricone pieces from The Thing was fun, and highly appropriate, but I can't recall any other score moments that really knocked me out.

Grumpy old fuck that I am, might need to give H8 another day in court one day, but I similarly didn't get on at all with Kill Bill or Inglorious Basterds on first viewing and neither improved with my giving them another shot. Death Proof (despite some irritating elements) is by far and away my favourite of his films this last decade.

Like anyone asked or really gives a shit what I think, but there you go - I really don't mind being the voice of dissent when I'm out there on my own haha!
By ScoJo
Oh, just to be clear - when I say 'juvenilia' I'm referring to stuff like excessive dropping of 'N'-bomb, guys being shots in the balls (though, dumbly, having no problem conversing eloquently afterwards and even sharing a chuckle), stealing shit from other films (usually solid B-movies which overenthusiastic QT-Magpie can't help himself trying to 'top' with bigger resources....)

Y'know...that kinda shit. Sometimes it flys for me, sometimesit don't.

Disappointing anyway, since I was really looking forward to it and love the whole 'roadshow'/70mm thang.
By chiefbrody
@ScoJo, I can totally see where you're coming from, though I think you need to accept QT's faults at this stage, or accept that his films are no longer 'for you' - he's not going to change, I don't think. For what it's worth (and I'm not trying to convince you), I thought that 90% of it stood up as a tense character piece, without the 'juvenilia' you mention. I put that mainly down to the strength and performances of the cast. You're far more of a cinephile then me though, so ripping off, etc, probably annoys you more than it would me (was that not your main problem with Rob's Maniac too?? You're too knowledgeable, that's your problem!!).

I think it's fair to say that anyone who didn't like Inglorious or Django will almost certainly not like H8. Nor would anyone looking for something Pulp Fiction-esque.

I think your comments about music editing are also fair, especially for H8. I rarely notice these things on first viewing, but it did stand out a bit with H8. Whilst I think he's been in need of someone to edit his last few films and make them 'leaner', I didn't feel H8 out-stayed it's welcome.

I've since listened to the score in isolation, and appreciate it more, without thinking that it's a classic.
By ScoJo
Totally agree with everything you say chap!
I did enjoy Django, and was actually quite hyped for this new one - esp after the reveal about Il Maestro's 'first original QT score' involvment! In fact myself and fellow Damn Fine Cast-er @TAG were actually considering making the (very costly) trek to catch it in 70mm - im just so glad we didnt,man I woulda been grumpy!!
You hit the nail smack on the head tho buddy-being a Cinephiliac sure is both a blessing n a curse heh heh ;)
By texasvinyl
Maestro Morricone grabbed the Golden Globe for best original score tonight. Tarantino accepted on his behalf and suggested that Morricone is one of the greatest composers of all time with the likes of Mozart, Beethoven, & Schubert.
By maxlevel
Just to confirm, I saw the 70mm twice at the weekend. The l'ultima diligenza di red rock - version integrale is the music played over the mysterious red overture screen before the film. The 'overture' track plays as the opening shot pans down from the statue of christ.

That haunting oboe is really fantastic