A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Triple vinyl LP set = £88.88

Really? Really??

Get bent.

QT should make a movie about the ultra-violent, tumultuous years of the Great Vinyl Cashgrab by Major Record Labels of the mid-2000s.

It would be unwatchable!
By texasvinyl
Third Man did a promo video for their deluxe version. For sale only at their Nashville & Detroit stores on January 29. Price is... not yet disclosed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ONrSYu38k

LP:
• 2 180-gram LPs
• Trifold jacket with cover variant (soft touch finish)
• 60” x 12” poster
• 36” x 12” poster
• 12-page booklet insert

BOX:
• 18 gauge galvanized steel box with real bullet holes & laser etched logo
• 8 7” records (blood red with black streaks) in Hateful Eight character sleeves (soft touch finish + spot varnish on blood)
• Metal noose pin in custom stamped and blood-spattered box
• Hidden Lincoln Letter replica
By chiefbrody
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if there was the same music on the 7s, in one form or another, as the LP. The Neil Young box that they did for A Letter Home contained 7x6" records containing the album and a couple of bonus tracks. I can see something similar here (all of the Morricone score split into 7s, or everything on the soundtrack short enough to fit onto a side). Would the entire score for on 8x7s? It could also be the live recording, split into 7s.

Have to admit, the real bullet holes are a nice touch. Can't see any reason to want to listen to the score on 8x7s. This looks like it's for TMR/Jack White completists, rather than general soundtrack collectors.
By Spun out of control
ScoJo wrote:Triple vinyl LP set = £88.88

Really? Really??

Get bent.

QT should make a movie about the ultra-violent, tumultuous years of the Great Vinyl Cashgrab by Major Record Labels of the mid-2000s.

It would be unwatchable!
Would love the live Morricone session from Abbey Road on its own... but otherwise, yes, that price is crazy. Perhaps in a few months we'll be able to pick one up in a 50% off sale...?
By bpwlogan
texasvinyl wrote:Third Man did a promo video for their deluxe version. For sale only at their Nashville & Detroit stores on January 29. Price is... not yet disclosed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ONrSYu38k

LP:
• 2 180-gram LPs
• Trifold jacket with cover variant (soft touch finish)
• 60” x 12” poster
• 36” x 12” poster
• 12-page booklet insert

BOX:
• 18 gauge galvanized steel box with real bullet holes & laser etched logo
• 8 7” records (blood red with black streaks) in Hateful Eight character sleeves (soft touch finish + spot varnish on blood)

• Metal noose pin in custom stamped and blood-spattered box
• Hidden Lincoln Letter replica
I'm originally from Detroit. They probably removed all the street signs around town with bullet holes in them and replaced them with the galvanized steel boxes for the afternoon to get the real effect. What's next in the vinyl world? I'll just stick with the standard edition. Thanks for posting @Texas.
By Bezulsqy
Yesterday evening finally went to see The Hateful Eight.

When the end titles ran I was sitting there not sure what I was feeling after seeing this. I still don't really know. For one, I am really happy I saw at the movies in stead of at home. I loved how the film looks. Those charismatic big heads :-)
I think I was expecting something else because of the references people made to Django Unchained. For me it didn't feel anything like that. It resembled Reservoir Dogs the most for me.
In the end it was a great small story told in a fantastic fashion by brilliant actors. The dialogues and monologues... It was an absolute classic Tarantino movie.
@Scojo mentions references to other B-movies. I noticed him referencing himself quite a bit.

I heard or read somewhere that this was his most violent movie. For me it definitely didn't feel that way. There is a difference in gun violence and the more physical violence as seen in his previous films. Don't get me wrong, I did think it was violent :-)

All in all, a great new Tarantino, but not his best. For me it didn't feel as fresh as some of his other work.
By Little Walter
@ Bezulsqy - I can't get over hearing that bit about it being his most violent film yet . . . did we forget the first Kill Bill that quickly? She killed the better half of a hundred people in that movie - the severed limbs alone! I have to agree it was more of a play script reminiscent of Reservoir Dogs than a straight-up cinematic experience like Django or Basterds even though it did have those classic close-up western shots. An appropriate warning to that effect might have eased some of the tottering opinions walking out of theaters and misleading reviews.
By deafmetal
Morricone seemed to be emotionally touched by the award. I don't remember, but did he come to the US for his honorary Oscar before?

Happy to report that my copy of the Third Man LP showed up recently. I have been saving it for a special evening, hopefully soon.
By blue15
Yes, Morricone came to LA and Clint Eastwood presented Morricone with his honorary Oscar. EM is now also the oldest winner ever at 87 for a competitive Oscar.
By milliondollars
i'm sure this has been asked before so sorry for asking again...

is there a version on vinyl without the annoying White Stripes song? just the score without any talking??
By deafmetal
milliondollars wrote:is there a version on vinyl without the annoying White Stripes song? just the score without any talking??
If you find one, please let me know. I really cannot get into the White Stripes song either. Did anybody hear what was on all those silly 7"s in the box set?
By Hatter313
While this doesn't help for home listening obviously, if I'm writing or working or driving to this music I just filter it by artists and get pure unadulterated morricone :)
By milliondollars
releasing the score with all the talking and the other tunes is a grave insult to Morricone. so disrespectfull. there must be a bunch of idiots working at Third Man. why the hell do they release a 7" box set of the score? this is like the most stupid thing i have ever heard. who in the hell wants to listen to a score spread over several 7"??? this has nothing to do with music really....
By Hatter313
Dialogue excerpts are pretty par for the course with QT soundtrack releases. It's not my favorite practice, but I'm used to it. It's the same with a lot of carpenter soundtracks, Halloween and escape from New York have a ton of dialogue clips.