A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
going to watch this when i get home, but i've heard some very cool early buzz about this movie. Thanks for the heads up Spencer!
By Bezulsqy
That does look really nice and intriguing. Thanks for posting this.
By Hatter313
So the witch was one of the most oppressively unsettling pieces of film I've seen. Not necessarily scary, but unease and atmosphere that just gets under your skin. It's also one of the best depictions of that type of fear and uncertainty and religious panic from that part of early American history, with by far some of the best depictions of New England folklore I've ever seen .

as a folklorist, this was a film that I've been wanting for longer than I knew, a truly dark American fairy tale culled from the folklore traditions of our European past and mixed with the terror of an alien land.

These are the stories and myths that are the backbone of our own relatively infant folk traditions, Our Halloween traditions owe as much to Puritan folktales and fear mongering as they do to Samhain and other festivals of the dead. This movie has permanently found a place on my annual October watch list.

And the score is great too :)

Also I saw it at my local Alamo and realized I owned almost every piece of media shown in the pre show, what that says I don't know. One very cool part was a nice clip from Haxan set to the track "sighs" from suspiria. I don't know if that was something the Alamo put together but t was really cool.

I wonder if mondo will put out the rescore they hosted a few weeks ago.

Anyway, that's my two cents (or a bit more)

Cheers